A LOT of vendors blocked on govt computers

Discussion in 'Armed Services Forum' started by Jhutt, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jhutt

Jhutt Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Been noticing more and more recently when browsing the internet at work for juice or what have you. 90% of it is blocked, any one know why? The whole vape ban thing you think?

This is the message that I get

[TABLE="width: 80%"]

[TR]

[TD]Access Denied (policy_denied)

[/TD]
    [/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Your system policy has denied access to the requested
    URL.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]
    [/TR]

[TR]

[TD]
    For assistance, contact your network support
    team.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]

[/TABLE]

2. Kevin33

Kevin33 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    No, I don't think they are not targeting vape sites.

I know that our NIPR in Germany blocks a lot of online shopping sites. We can still get on Amazon, but Ebay has been blocked for years. A lot of smaller shopping sites are also disabled, it has to do with how the site is registered. Just like how adult sites are blocked, if they are registered as such, some are registered as regular sites or blogs and are not blocked. I've had a few friends who access blogs that are full of adult content on NIPR, no idea why, not very smart.

3. Harlen

Harlen Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    They are doing there part in protecting you from the bad things in life .
    Try online tobacco sights ????

4. zapped

zapped Registered Supplier Verified Member ECF Veteran

It could be because they ....you know....expect you to work at work instead of surfing the net. Call me crazy and all.................

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

LOL, word for word what I was going to post.

I'd be surprised if there weren't a lot of other sites that are blocked on your system at work besides just ones associated with vaping.

6. twgbonehead

twgbonehead Vaping Master ECF Veteran

If my employer was smart, they would block ECF! Just sayin....

7. kapp_badbloodz

kapp_badbloodz Full Member Verified Member

Being friends with some comm guys... they said that sometimes servers are banning unknown websites. So if there isnt significant traffic from NIPR users that meet the requirements (safe to use) then they outright block all unknown websites. You can submit requests to unlock these sites through your comm focal point. Call and yell at them for being dumb.

8. Kevin33

Supporting member
    Our NIPR where I'm at right now has Youtube banned. Is this the same for anyone else?

9. sc12

sc12 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Bottom line is: employers don't have to let us use their equipment and resources for personal stuff. I liked that mine didn't give a hoot as long as we didn't break anything and got our work done.

10. ssgswjohnson

ssgswjohnson Senior Member ECF Veteran

There are a LOT of changes coming down the line guys. I work at DISA (im not writing policy, so don't blame me! lol) and trust me, while things get caught in the crossfire, they are doing these things for the right reasons. I cant go into the weeds on it, obviously, but if you all could see the intel reports on cyber warfare (I know, I know. sounds lame-sauce) you would definitely be a bit more understanding. As time goes on, a better picture of what needs to be blocked and what doesn't will form up and things SHOULD get better. I know it doesn't help now though, and it sucks especially hard for those of you overseas...

11. Jhutt

Jhutt Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Well I am in the strategic comm area so alot of my "work" is on the computer anyway. So you can call it multi-tasking haha, we're all guilty of it.

12. Kevin33

Supporting member
    Especially overseas sitting at the TOC........ It would be better if they hadn't blocked Youtube. Have you ever heard of this? I know that it is a local policy of some sort, because in my home station in Germany it's not blocked.

13. AaronY

AaronY Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Do you have a couple of sites that are blocked? Curious to send them around and see if other branches of the military and government have the same problem. It is crazy that they block sites that help save lives of people that fight for our freedom.

14. jdeezy92

jdeezy92 Full Member Verified Member

Supporting member
    Age verification block maybe? "Are you 18 years or older?" Could be flagged as Adult Content ? Lol

15. Tmartin63

Tmartin63 Happy Vaper Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I work for a large well known bank and they block vape sites, however the message we receive is because it's tagged as a tobacco site.

16. ssgswjohnson

ssgswjohnson Senior Member ECF Veteran

some of them may be local policy just to keep people on task. If I remember correctly, sometimes DOD has to block things based on host country laws as well... although I really dont know if that is relevent to the Vape sites being blocked. My guess is its how its tagged or local policy. I havent found many blocked vape sites here stateside, so its probably more local than NIPR wide.

As far as Youtube, that is definately local policy.

17. EatBacon

EatBacon Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I think this may be a part of it...... I don't so any personal tasks on my GOV computer, not because I'm a regs freak. It's because everything you do is saved and can be pulled by the commo techs at any time. I have assisted in investigations relating to computers and you would be amazed what they can uncover. I Like to keep my personal stuff personal.

18. retired1

retired1 Curmudgeon Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    As a retired comm troop, calling to ask for a non-official site to be unblocked will do nothing more than draw unwanted attention with a visit to the unit's commander asking why their personnel are attempting to surf to non-work related sites on government assets. Loved those calls when we got them. We even had one clueless wight call and ask why Playboy's site was blocked. Seriously?!! The resulting visit to the unit's Commander was priceless. :lol:

Government computers are to be used for official business, not shopping and surfing. ;)

19. Chambo007

Chambo007 Full Member

I am not having that issue here. Actually none of the vape sites I have gone too have been blocked on my gov PC. A number of them took ages to load though.

20. Jonathan Sewall

Jonathan Sewall Full Member Verified Member

Tons if sites are allowed on gov computer. Just google vape shops and bam!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.