Status
Not open for further replies.

BShady

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2014
Cincinnati, OH USA
The Problem
To all those newcomers to vaping, as well as some who've been around a while:
I've seen/heard people mention, in the course of discussing the new RBA/rda/RTA/Whatever they just got, that they can "see" or "smell" "machine oil" in or on some part of the apparatus. I would like to clear up a few things around this subject. If you don't care about any explanations and only want the solution, scroll down to the last paragraph.
As an experienced machinist, I am intimately familiar with the different chemicals used in different machining processes and their properties. Without expounding endlessly upon the various minutiae to look knowledgeable, I can condense the relevant information down to the following:
The only type of "oil" that may be found in/on a tank would be tapping fluid. This is a mildly viscous oil used to make cutting threads by the use of a tap or die less difficult and gentler on the tooling being used. This is somewhat unlikely to be present because (among other reasons) it is most commonly used when cutting threads by hand.
The stuff (let's keep it technical, here) that is often described as "machine oil" is, in fact, coolant. Nearly all CNC Machines come set up to use coolant, and many older manual machines were set up or retrofitted to use it as well. Coolant is a general term that encompasses a whole range of chemical additives in aqueous solution. Without delving into all the different types and their properties, there is a simple Golden Rule that we machinists use regarding coolant: "Avoid that .... as much as humanly possible." If contacted on skin in any significant amount it can/will cause a rather nasty rash - very much like poison ivy. If inhaled after being aerosolized, it can/will cause extreme coughing bouts, choking, dizziness, nausea, and even fainting. Contact with the eyes can/will cause severe (I mean SEVERE, no ....) irritation and pain, and can cause varying degrees of (varyingly) temporary sight loss. Bottom line, this stuff is nasty .....

The Remedy
The solution is very simple. Whether your shiny new RTA has tapping oil in the threads or a fine film of coolant residue all over it, the answer is the same. DO NOT wash it with water, or soapy water, or super-soapy water - this will not clean it to a standard we would consider sufficient for food or medical grade use (which is what we are using it as). You must clean the metal and glass parts (as for PCB parts, I can not vouch for them due to the huge variety of types of plastics in use by different manufacturers, but anything that will stand up to juice should be fine - YMMV) with an alcohol or ketone solvent. Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) will work well, as will Acetone (commonly the main ingredient in nail polish remover, check the label). Both are naturally occurring in trace amounts inside the human body and both evaporate rapidly in normal ambient temperatures. All you need do is wet a cotton ball or two with the solvent of your choice (if you use a solvent not listed here you better know what you're doing) and use it to thoroughly wipe down your disassembled tank inside and out. It should not be necessary but, if desired, you can rinse with clean (ideally distilled) water and then leave on a towel to air-dry or dry with a hair dryer on low heat. Then reassemble, build, fill, and vape as per your usual.

This process will ensure that you get the absolute best taste production your tank can give you, as well as avoid any unpleasant side effects of the types I listed above.

Please understand that I take no responsibility nor accept any liability for your use or implementation of any portion of this information. Both alcohol and acetone are highly flammable, and thus care should be taken to not use them on a tank that is connected to a power source as well as making sure that any remaining solvent has evaporated before connecting to a power source. Please, use UN-common sense and extraordinary care in your endeavors.

BShady

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2014
Cincinnati, OH USA
Forgot to mention, the Mango is just a TPA Mango concentrate that I use in my e liquids, this is where vaping really comes together :thumbs:

I'm really glad you were considerate enough to add that info. I don't mix myself, but my ex-wife does (and is pretty talented at it) and has a huge selection of flavors, but it would never have occurred to me to try that. Now I'm feeling a strong compulsion to do just that. In fact.... I'm pretty sure Mango is one of the TPA bases she has.... I forsee my day spent really well or really poorly, depending upon your views toward binge drinking.

Thanks Rixsta!

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I'm really glad you were considerate enough to add that info. I don't mix myself, but my ex-wife does (and is pretty talented at it) and has a huge selection of flavors, but it would never have occurred to me to try that. Now I'm feeling a strong compulsion to do just that. In fact.... I'm pretty sure Mango is one of the TPA bases she has.... I forsee my day spent really well or really poorly, depending upon your views toward binge drinking.

Thanks Rixsta!
haha, your welcome, that's what it was used for before vaping was invented so it makes sense, you can make a great milkshake with a glass of milk and some TPA Strawberry Ripe in it too ..yummy.
Seems you still have a good relationship with your ex which is refreshing :thumb:

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Rixsta, I like you more and more. Not only are you full of great ideas, but you're obviously an optimist! o_O
I just thought you got on well as there is no way I would be going to visit my ex and asking her for some TPA Mango concentrate if we didn't get one, knowing my ex she would fill it with 100% nic :sneaky:

BShady

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2014
Cincinnati, OH USA
I just thought you got on well as there is no way I would be going to visit my ex and asking her for some TPA Mango concentrate if we didn't get one, knowing my ex she would fill it with 100% nic :sneaky:

Awww, sorry to hear that man - I know what you mean, though. Mine is more the type to play head games. You know, one day we're best friends (or better) and the next she doesn't speak to me for 3 months for no reason whatsoever.

Gonna stop now before I hijack my own thread with ex-hating! :pervy:

Jack H

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
Kunming, China
Good advice to clean parts.
However I want to add a warning as well. If you use acetone, do not make contact with your skin. Acetone will absorb through your skin and it is poisonous. I used it 30 years for cleaning optics and ALWAYS handled it with caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread