Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I use all kinds of builds....claptons and fused claptons come into play when I'm bored or if an atty just needs it. Round wire builds are great. They heat up fast, cool down fast and they don't need the high wattage to make them work. The flavor is on par if you know what you're doing. I prefer spaced round wire coils to pretty much anything else.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I've noticed a lot of people use only round wire builds as opposed to a clapton or fused clapton, just curious as to why the people who do, prefer it.

It's easy, it calculates well on Steam Engine. I suppose I have to admit that I like easy victories

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I've noticed a lot of people use only round wire builds as opposed to a clapton or fused clapton, just curious as to why the people who do, prefer it.
I have some older attys that just do not have the space to clamp down thicker wire or twisteds/claptons.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I pretty much agree with @Asbestos4004.

I've experimented with a bunch of the more complex builds and found them not worth the time for me. I did it using a pair of the same atties and vaped the builds alternately until I had a good idea of how they performed, at least for a week with good builds. Then I tried to improve them and vape them for a while ... then repeat. In the end I found I couldn't get more out of multi-wire coils than I could from the singles, and I think that answers your question :)

These days I'm even mostly using single coil atties and don't get into the duals and tripples much like I used to. Unless I feel like it just for the heck of it or it's a dual coil atty that I like.

Whatever works for someone is all good
yes3.gif

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I use all kinds of builds....claptons and fused claptons come into play when I'm bored or if an atty just needs it. Round wire builds are great. They heat up fast, cool down fast and they don't need the high wattage to make them work. The flavor is on par if you know what you're doing. I prefer spaced round wire coils to pretty much anything else.
What the pupper said.

I spent a year or so zeroing in my perfect builds, and I know what adjustments to make in order to make them perform to my liking in a new atomizer. I haven't experimented much with other builds, a little twisted, a parallel, a simple clapton, but the level of improvement(if any) wasn't worth the added annoyance of building.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
If I could describe myself in one word it would be........................lazy.

Back in the day I had to make my own clapton wire and for me I admit I liked the way it vaped better. But I was to lazy to make it so screw it. I can get a decent vape off paraells so I didn't bother.

Fast forward to the modern world. I can click click ***BOOM*** on Fasttech and have rolls or shots of claptons in all sizes dropped at my house very cheaply.

Now I use claptons in basically everything. Little bitty ones in Kayfuns and honking big mothers in drippers and everything in between.

But I could use roundy rouds again if I had too.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Easier to clean, easier to build with, and most of the other stuff is just gimmick's the performance isnt that much better (my opinion) I have used all sorts of crazy coils and in the end i just prefer round wire. If i had to put blame as to why i dont use claptons or anything else the sole blame is on the ease to clean all the gunk out when i go to rewick i dont want to have to just replace the coil every single time. That is my reason. Its not cost of making them or cost of buying them but how easy it is to clean and rewick as i do so about every 120-150ml sometimes more depending on the juice i run through it and how lazy i am being.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA

I find that simple single spaced round or flat wire builds are easier to make, maintain and regulate the temperature of.

Less mass = less heat up and cool down time, can be driven with less energy and offers longer battery life.

I find the "fancy builds" would offer only much greater mass at the expense of the wire itself, battery life and the ability to easily regulate the temperature.

I use single wire NiFe48 and Ti in 28AWG and 30AWG.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    26 gauge kanthal round wire coils exclusively.

Moved to new digs 10 days ago and half un packed

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country

Ive used exotic builds and honestly they are inefficient.
    If you use a mechanical, they are all but useless.
    They require much more power amd give very little if any benefit over standard or parallel builds, which require less power and have a far shorter ramp up time.

They look awesome though.
    ;)

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    I've played with just about all the "Types" of exotic wire that has hit the scene, from my experimenting once you go past a single core clapton, the efficiency of watts to cloud production plus time and expense to make that nifty, pretty looking triple cored, stapled, clapton nose dives. I can out perform a triple 24awg cored 42awg outer-wrapped fused clapton dual coil at 165watts in a Velocity with a triple wire parallel 30awg dual coil in a Derringer at 50watts all day long and, bonus points, the Derringer build lasts 3x as long on a pair of batteries than the Velocity build side by side. Don't get me wrong, if I'm just plain bored as heck watching netflix and vaping away I'll get a wild hair under my seat and break out the tools to build a coil at the same time, and experiment just for the heck of it, but in the end, all day runner, simple dual coil 8wrap 24awg 3.5mm at 40watts max and I'm a happy camper. Heavy wire mass = low power perfomance, Low wire mass = excellent power performance.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

Fancy coils are wattage pigs.

Why would I want to use 50 watts to do what 8 watts can do?

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2016
    Tempe, Arizona, United States
    Because it's easy and it works. I started my building journey with duel coil attys and have moved over to single coils now and it's even easier. I'm able to get the same satisfaction for less work, and I'm way too busy to be building all the time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread