Status
Not open for further replies.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Building anything but a simple round wire coil requires a lot of effort for very little positive gain IMO.
Not so long ago you simply couldn't purchase pre-wrapped fancy coils - if you wanted them you made them. For me the time wasn't worth the result...
I believe fancy coils are more a hobby than a genuine advancement in vaping.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Same here on the plain round wire. I don't use drippers , so maybe there is a difference there, but in rta's I have found no difference between a round wire coil and a fancy clapton type coil. I have tried them side by side and I couldn't tell the difference at all. Actually there was a difference, the fancy coil took a bit longer to heat, needed a bit more power, harder to clean, got more gunked up, and didn't last but a month.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think it all depends on the tank. A single coil, small chambered tank does great with a single round. A large chambered dual coil tank can benefit from the extra coil mass of a Clapton. Middle of the road single coil, either simple round or maybe a parallel just for yuks. As I run essentially all my RTAs in TC with 316L, even a large dual Clapton build doesn't take all that much of a hit on power consumption, as I'll use a 1 second high preheat to reach temp, then it really doesn't take much wattage to keep it there.

As always, whatever build gives you the best vape is the best solution for you.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Between the claptons I've tried and regular wire, I've yet to see a difference, at least one that's big enough for me to worry about it much.

Plus claptons tend to pop more when they starts getting just a bit dirty... just a few days ago, one pop in my dripper somehow hit me in the eye (Murphy's law of course) and I'm still feeling it.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
personal preference I guess. i have a clapton build in one of my RTA, good vape but not ZOMG better than normal round wire I have in my other RTA and RDA.

I'm really liking the simple, rounded, spaced SS316L currently sitting in my RDA. for "fancier" stuff, I prefer twisted kanthal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've noticed a lot of people use only round wire builds as opposed to a clapton or fused clapton, just curious as to why the people who do, prefer it.

Because I just didn't see a Huge Difference in Flavor.

Single Wire Coils fit into All of my Tanks/RDA's that I like. The Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down time for the gauges I use is about Instantaneous. And I can Buy Pre-Coiled Coils for next to Nothing and use them when I'm Lazy and don't feel like winding a Coil (which is about All the time).

Multi-Wire Coils do look cool. But for the Way I Vape, and the Stuff I Vape on, they just Don't significant make the hit Taste that much better for me.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Here is an excellent thread that got moved and buried just as the discussion was getting started.

So you think you can design a coil?
Pretty involved but definitely interesting. I do think there are differences in the vape in terms of maximizing surface area and all that stuff, but I'm just not sure if they are really that noticeable. I mean if you compared a 2 strand parallel to a 3 strand parallel or a 3 strand to 4 strand and took a blind taste test if you really could tell the difference? Not sure, maybe?

Reactions: Ryedan

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I just wanted to stop smoking, and this is not a hobby for me. I have other things to do, so the least amount of time I can devote to it, the better.

Although I do change wicks every week or twice a week sometimes, the coil I'm using is eight months old now :eek:. I know I'll have to do something about that in the near future.

Hey, if the Kanthal in toasters and hair dryers last as long as they do, why would I rebuild a coil that's still working, just for the heck of it?

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I just wanted to stop smoking, and this is not a hobby for me. I have other things to do, so the least amount of time I can devote to it, the better.

Although I do change wicks every week or twice a week sometimes, the coil I'm using is eight months old now :eek:. I know I'll have to do something about that in the near future.

Hey, if the Kanthal in toasters and hair dryers last as long as they do, why would I rebuild a coil that's still working, just for the heck of it?

metal oxidizes with time .. you can't see it probably, but it's happening, and you're breathing it in...

It's one of those things where "we can't know for sure at this point" about the health implications.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I don't see enough of an improvement using Claptons, etc., to make it worth while to go to the effort to wrap the wire. I vape SS316 almost exclusively these days-- the flavor is super clean, especially with rayon wick-- and there is very little pre-made wire in SS316 suitable for coils in the less-than-50-watt range, where I like to vape, unless you want to wrap 15 or 18 wraps of 24/32. If I could find a reliable supplier for some 28/32 or 28/34-- heck, even 28/40-- I would probably use it. I have recently put a single coil .5Ω in one of my CoV Wraiths, which is a departure for me. I am a dual coil kinda guy. But it's vaping just fine and, at least at work, where I use the squonk boxes, I might move to a clapton wire setup for singles. A tall stack single is a lot easier to fit on the deck than dualies. It goes nicely between the posts and gives you an extra 2, maybe 3, mm of space for length.

Reactions: MMW

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I just don't notice a huge difference in flavor with the exotic wire builds. Round wire is super cheap. i can throw together a new build in about 5 minutes. I also don't like a real warm vape so 26 gauge kanthal works great for me.

I must say the triple parallel 32 gauge build looks interesting.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Pretty involved but definitely interesting. I do think there are differences in the vape in terms of maximizing surface area and all that stuff, but I'm just not sure if they are really that noticeable. I mean if you compared a 2 strand parallel to a 3 strand parallel or a 3 strand to 4 strand and took a blind taste test if you really could tell the difference? Not sure, maybe?

Performance wise, it doesn't matter how many wires you use in parallel; what matters is the wire gauge.
Compare two coils of the same size (length and dia), using different gauges of wire and you will see a difference. The thinner wire coil will have a lot less mass with at least the same surface area. The main point to take away is the often heard statement "thick wire equals more surface area" is a myth. No scrap that; its plain wrong.
Why the triple parallel? If you build rather large coils with something like 32G Kanthal, you have to triple parallel to get a reasonable resistance. Otherwise you´ll end up with 2+ Ohms, which you cant fire at higher Watts due to the Voltage limitation of our mods.
Parallel builds also help with stability of the coil. Something like a 20 wrap 31G is finicky. 10 wrap parallel is a lot more stable.

Reactions: Tagi

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Performance wise, it doesn't matter how many wires you use in parallel; what matters is the wire gauge.
Compare two coils of the same size (length and dia), using different gauges of wire and you will see a difference. The thinner wire coil will have a lot less mass with at least the same surface area. The main point to take away is the often heard statement "thick wire equals more surface area" is a myth. No scrap that; its plain wrong.
Why the triple parallel? If you build rather large coils with something like 32G Kanthal, you have to triple parallel to get a reasonable resistance. Otherwise you´ll end up with 2+ Ohms, which you cant fire at higher Watts due to the Voltage limitation of our mods.
Parallel builds also help with stability of the coil. Something like a 20 wrap 31G is finicky. 10 wrap parallel is a lot more stable.
I think it's all sounds good in theory but imo it probably barely detectable in vapor and flavor. If you had , let's say a triple parallel 32g at let's say 1 ohm vs a single 28g coil at 1 ohm, vs a 26g at 1 ohm , all on identical tanks with the same juice and didn't know which ones were which , I would say 99 percent of vapors couldn't tell the difference after taking one or two vapes from each. I agree that in the first example there is more wick coverage, I just think the differences are too minute to really tell. At least I can't tell, I have multiples of the same rta's and in some I have 26g, in others I have 28g, and at one time had claptons in an other, yes some had different resistances but I always ran them at basically the same wattages and they all tasted and vaped the same

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I think I'd rather get a root canal then try to build any kind of parallel coil with a wire that started with a 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread