• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A question of rebuildable coils and cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Temco Kanthal A1 if you can get it on Ebay. FastTech sells Nichrome wire. Some people will tell you Nichrome can give you a metal taste. Personally I have never noticed any difference.

Frog in Fog also sells Kanthal A1, however I'm not sure who makes it, not that it matters I guess, But its a tad expensive. Not outrageous by any means.

There is a thread on buying organic cotton here in the Korea Forum.

In terms of building coils and wicking, there is no better than YouTube.

Last edited:

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
Temco Kanthal A1 if you can get it on Ebay. FastTech sells Nichrome wire. Some people will tell you Nichrome can give you a metal taste. Personally I have never noticed any difference.

Frog in Fog also sells Kanthal A1, however I'm not sure who makes it, not that it matters I guess, But its a tad expensive. Not outrageous by any means.

There is a thread on buying organic cotton here in the Korea Forum.

In terms of building coils and wicking, there is no better than YouTube.

Well, during the time I posted this, I've been doing a LOT of research and I think I'm all set! Let me help others on this forum (for supplies):
For cotton, I watched PBusardo's video and in his testing (it was very extensive), he finds that the 2 best types of cotton are Japansese cotton and CelluCotton. Luckily for us Koreans, we can get CelluCotton here! Links for CelluCotton:

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=615319097#goodsAnalysis (40ft! Basically a LIFETIME supply!)
ÀüÀÚ´ã¹è±â±â¼îÇθô, ¹«´ÏÄÚƾ¾×»ó, Ä«Å丶ÀÌÀú, ¹«È.±â, MOD, ¹èÅ͸®, ÃæÀü±â, DIY, º¯È¯Á¨´õ ÆǸŠ(50cm for a 1000 won)
Link to PBusardo's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcZjaG9RPZ4

For kanthal, you can basically get Temco, LightningVapes and VapeSupply all from Gmarket in all guages. Just search Kanthal on Gmarket. For extremely cheap A1 Kanthal:

http://ameliquid.com/shop/goods/goods_view.php?goodsno=545&category=006

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Lots of problems with the PBusardo test. Not very scientific and he even admits that too.

I've got raw pure organic cotton, organic cotton balls, and Ko Gen Do cotton pads. And honestly I don't find that big a difference among them. I must admit that I haven't tried the cellucotton but many people rave about it, but some rave about the KGD too. I've heard that Egyptian cotton is better than Japanese cotton and it goes on and on. :) You'll find there's more to producing flavor and vapor then just the cotton :)

I noticed all your links were to the cellucotton, but none to the Kanthal wire. I saw the brands you spoke about but they are all about $25 - $35 for 100ft. I have bought the exact same "Vape Supply" Kanthal on Ebay for $10 shipped. Even Frog in Fog is much cheaper. With free shipping.

Rebuildable Atomizers: Genesis Atomizer Tank. RDA Atomizer. Worldwide Shipping! / DIY Products

Last edited:

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
Lots of problems with the PBusardo test. I've got raw pure organic cotton, organic cotton balls, and Ko Gen Do cotton pads. And honestly I don't find that big a difference among them. I must admit that I haven't tried the cellucotton but many people rave about it, but some rave about the KGD too. I've heard that Egyptian cotton is better than Japanese cotton and it goes on and on. :) You'll find there's more to producing flavor and vapor then just the cotton :)

I noticed all your links were to the cellucotton, but none to the Kanthal wire. I saw the brands you spoke about but they are all about $25 - $35 for 100ft. I have bought the exact same "Vape Supply" Kanthal on Ebay for $10 shipped. Even Frog in Fog is much cheaper. With free shipping.

Rebuildable Atomizers: Genesis Atomizer Tank. RDA Atomizer. Worldwide Shipping! / DIY Products

Check the AmeLiquid link. 2000 won for 10m. That's 6000 for 100 foot. And PBusardo's tests may not be scientific but they give an idea that you won't run into problems using CelluCotton and Japanese cotton

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Just looked. If that’s for 10m then that’s pretty good. Good score :)

You do realize thought that price is for 34 gauge? You're going to build your Lemo with 34 gauge?

I also can't find anywhere where it says Kanthal A1, So I'm betting its 60/40 Nichrome. Still okay if you're alright with that.

Last edited:

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
Just looked. If that’s for 10m then that’s pretty good. Good score :)

You do realize thought that price is for 34 gauge? You're going to build your Lemo with 34 gauge?

I also can't find anywhere where it says Kanthal A1, So I'm betting its 60/40 Nichrome. Still okay if you're alright with that.

Look at the bottom in bold

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Awesome find

The only hitch is registration. I'm trying to register at Mistmall and Ameliquid. Can't seem to get past the phone check part (via KCP). It keeps on giving me a authentication error. Any tips on how to get past that stage?

I had the same problem with Ameliquid. I couldn’t figure out the address part. My address wasn't showing correctly. The dong office had changed our addresses. What is it you are trying to buy? They don't really offer anything you can't get elsewhere.

Last edited:

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
With Ameliquid, I e-mailed them w/r/t the registration thing and they just took my order via e-mail direct. Paid via bank deposit. Order came in 1-2 days. Got PG/VG (prices slightly cheaper than Gmarket. They're all SK/LG so whatever), flavor concentrates (sampling before buying in bulk from TFA. Also, got some FA flavors for diketone-free ingredients. Plus, ***the EM & Koolada (TFA) seems to be cheaper than/on par with [respectively] TFA direct [around 2,500W for 30mL vs $5.50 for 30 mL of Cotton Candy | 10 mL for 4,800 vs 15mL for $6] So far, the mixes I made are pretty nice.), and a few other odds and ends.

More a matter of convenience and speed since they have a variety of DIY supplies at (**relatively**) reasonable costs; Only one shipping charge to deal with. All-in-all, pretty happy with them (Though the thing I don't recommend from them are the plastics- all PET per sales rep. I switched out the EM container immediately [since it appears that make their own mix with EM crystals])

Now for the nicotine.... no way in hell I'm going with the B&Ms- $20 for 1 mL of 50% nicotine. Outrageous! BI- here I come?
==
btw, transliteration for the kanthal wires is "khan-tol." So def kanthal.

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Both TFA and FA are basically diketone-free. However there are some flavors (e.g. custards) that contain the molecule Acetoin which can under certain circumstances "catalyze" into minute traces of the molecule Diacetyl. But at least TFA will tell you which of their flavors contains Acetoin.

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/t-FlavorWorkshopCustard.aspx

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Acetoin doesn't bother me as the acetyl propionyl- basically a diacetyl elongated by 1 carbon- that a lot of TFA flavors have. I saw that they offer diketone-free concentrates if buying in bulk though.
==
I mean, from what I've been seeing, acetoin, if isolated properly, should be relatively stable under neutral-high pH and low temps. Of course, I don't know how they'd react with the "flavor" compounds and there's still probably trace amount because equilibrium, but even with the amount vaped, the amount of diacetyl's still probably lower than a factory cig (I usually roll when possible). All assuming acetoin's harmless. Acetyl propional however...

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
TFA has a new "DX" diketone free flavouring line using butyric acid. Limited in number, but I wasn't aware that you had to buy them in bulk. e.g. DX Bavarian Cream, DX Hazelnut, DX Caramel Original, and a DX Vanilla Bean Gelato

I also wasn't aware that FA was not using acetoin or acetyl propionyl either in their custard lines. But if they are claiming to be diketone free then obviously they've also gone to the new kid on the block; butyric acid.

From what I understand, Capella is also using butyric acid in place of D-A-AP in their new FV v2 and VC v2 (among others, including Raspberry, Apple Pie, Graham Cracker, Peaches & Cream)

I only vape TFA fruits and sweet flavors, which for the most part are D-A-AP free.

Regardless, it's nice to see these companies reformulating the bad stuff away.

Last edited:

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Hm- didn't see the DX line when browsing through their stock list. Will have to check again at some point. Good to know though.

On FA- I e-mailed them. They say they're A-, AP-, D-free.
==
None of the FlavourArt flavourings on the UK website use Diacetyl, Acetoin, or Acetyl Propionyl, refined sugars, protein,
genetically modified ingredients, animal ingredients of any kind, preservatives, sweeteners, or colours. They are all gluten
and peanut free, suitable for diabetics, vegetarians, and vegans.
==
BA's an irritant, but in the small amounts we vape, I'm not horribly worried. (If it feels harsh w/o nic, then I might have to re-visit that inclination. If it is an issue, given that it's *only* an irritant, I believe you feel the damage so you know when to stop) Plus, while chronic irritation probably will cause issues, you have that canary in the coal mine and no cumulative damage like D & DP.

Though I'd like to avoid "bakery" recipes, I'm more of a bakery/sweets person I'm finding. However, I haven't tried the teas (chai), coffees (making an extract atm. Need to swipe a coffee filter from school. ha), and cherry/lime recipes (want to try cherry/cherry coke & key lime pie/lime and coke). Cloves sound nice, too. Looking at the shipping costs, I'm probably only gonna deal with TFA while I'm here.

Def. good to see the the flavoring companies take a pro-active approach w/r/t health. It'll be nicer when the gov't gets off its ... and start doing some proper research instead of following the cig co corp line.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Supposedly butyric acid is only used as part of the production process, and it is not present in its original form in the finished flavoring. So I can't imagine it causing most people problems. If this is the case I may try a few of the bakery flavors again myself as I've been hesitant for the stated reasons. But like you said, if it causes you irritation you will know to stop long before it causes any real damage. I'd much rather see the industry regulate themselves long before the FDA restrictions come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread