• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A question of rebuildable coils and cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
With Ameliquid, I e-mailed them w/r/t the registration thing and they just took my order via e-mail direct. Paid via bank deposit. Order came in 1-2 days. Got PG/VG (prices slightly cheaper than Gmarket. They're all SK/LG so whatever), flavor concentrates (sampling before buying in bulk from TFA. Also, got some FA flavors for diketone-free ingredients. Plus, ***the EM & Koolada (TFA) seems to be cheaper than/on par with [respectively] TFA direct [around 2,500W for 30mL vs $5.50 for 30 mL of Cotton Candy | 10 mL for 4,800 vs 15mL for $6] So far, the mixes I made are pretty nice.), and a few other odds and ends.

More a matter of convenience and speed since they have a variety of DIY supplies at (**relatively**) reasonable costs; Only one shipping charge to deal with. All-in-all, pretty happy with them (Though the thing I don't recommend from them are the plastics- all PET per sales rep. I switched out the EM container immediately [since it appears that make their own mix with EM crystals])

Now for the nicotine.... no way in hell I'm going with the B&Ms- $20 for 1 mL of 50% nicotine. Outrageous! BI- here I come?
==
btw, transliteration for the kanthal wires is "khan-tol." So def kanthal.

wait, they have TFA flavors??

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
They do have TFA flavors, but it's pricey relative to TFA direct (w/ the exception of EM/Koolada). It's around 4,800 for 10 mL (vs ~$5 for 30 mL). (They only sell 10 mL bottles). Same goes for FA. Better for sampling purposes than a steady supply due to the difference in shipping times (cost, too to a degree. TFA's price goes up [I'd estimate by roughly ~$2/flavor] if you include shipping, but you get a lot less [prices based on a 10-15 30mL samples from TFA's site]). Check Ameliquid's website under "Flavor" or something like it. (The website's down for maintenance atm)
==
While I'd like the FDA to stay out, sadly, self-regulation can do only so much w/o the resources of the FDA since testing'll be limited. I doubt any single flavoring company (let alone the distributors) makes enough of a profit or relies on vapers enough to make testing a priority. Testing for concentration of a particular chemical (ie diacetyl) vs testing for the effects of a particular chemical are different beasts. Big tobacco can afford to pay for studies (and the consequent PR) since they have the resources and a vested interest in finding anything dangerous with e-cigs. But then, this is all just me thinking.

*I have read a few apparently objective studies (eg Farsanilos), but they're too few and far between. And limited.

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Initially, I wrote them in caveman Korean. (eg "It no work! Why no work? You help now...NOW!" Basically, I said I was having trouble registering with the site due to the MCerti, cell phone-check thing.) They e-mailed me back in English. lol. The conversation was in English from then on. (ie I don't think it matters if you write them in Korean/English). While not perfect, the rep's English wasn't too shabby. (His Waygookin linguistic forebearers should be proud.)

When I was ready to make the order though, I did have to e-mail them twice (at healingintl (at) gmail (dot) com).

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
Initially, I wrote them in caveman Korean. (eg "It no work! Why no work? You help now...NOW!" Basically, I said I was having trouble registering with the site due to the MCerti, cell phone-check thing.) They e-mailed me back in English. lol. The conversation was in English from then on. (ie I don't think it matters if you write them in Korean/English). While not perfect, the rep's English wasn't too shabby. (His Waygookin linguistic forebearers should be proud.)

When I was ready to make the order though, I did have to e-mail them twice (at healingintl (at) gmail (dot) com).

Thanks! Another question though, what kind of packaging did you receive your flavors in? The regular glass bottles of TFA?

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Thanks! Another question though, what kind of packaging did you receive your flavors in? The regular glass bottles of TFA?

Nope. Looks like PET bottles. My guess is that they buy in bulk, then repackage. Note: For those who care, their needle-tip dropper bottles seem to be LDPE. Soft, opaque, no "pop" when squeezed, similar to the MBV LDPE plastics I have.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
The LDPE bottles would certainly be more of a problem for me. Too many of TFAs flavors are tank crackers. Recently I mixed up some Blueberry (triacetin) and it completely destroyed the acrylic tank in my Aqua V2 in about 10 seconds.It also caused plastic to leach from the LDPE bottle so bad I had to throw the whole batch away. The PET bottles may be okay short term but I wouldn’t leave flavors in them for any great length of time either. Glass all the way for me now, whether its tanks, bottles, or pipettes. Obviously YMMV depending on the type of flavors you use but why chance it.

While not complete, or completely accurate, here's a link to TFA flavor percentage recommendations. On the right side of the chart you will where people have listed if it's a tank cracker.

Flavor Percentage Recommendations

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
To be fair, the bottles (from AmeL) don't pretend to be directly from FA/TFA. The labels have the Ameliquid markings on them, too.

They don't indicate on the label they are TFA or FA flavors?

Personally I have no issue with either companies buying in bulk and repackaging. If in fact they are selling what they are claiming. But if one is dodgy, then its most likely the other is dodgy too. I'd be interested to hear what you think when you get a batch direct from TFA in the future.

For obvious reasons I would prefer to deal directly with the source where possible. Unfortunately with the nicotine we don't have that same luxury.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Buy nicotine legally from a reputable company in the States, pay the import tax to Customs, and you're still well ahead in saving money from buying local, or worse yet, buying local from a source which fabricates the ingredients, side-steps the laws, and illegal in every way.

It's all about safe-vaping. Especially when it comes to such toxic chemicals as nicotine.

Don't be a pin-head. Follow the laws.

Last edited:

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
e-mailed them THRICE and still no response -_-

I just e-mailed the rep there. Will keep you updated via PM.
==

Back to the original topic, just got Serlina Cotton Labo Organic Cotton puffs in from Japan via e-bay vendor (<2 weeks shipping time!). Pretty much KGD cotton, except soooooo much cheaper (200 5x6 cm squares for ~$6.50 + $3 S&H).

IMAG1309.jpg

KGD cotton's on the left side. Once out of its packaging, it swells up to roughly the same size as the one on the right.

Last edited:

nwasiq

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2014
Cheonan
==

Back to the original topic, just got Serlina Cotton Labo Organic Cotton puffs in from Japan via e-bay vendor (<2 weeks shipping time!). Pretty much KGD cotton, except soooooo much cheaper (200 5x6 cm squares for ~$6.50 + $3 S&H).

View attachment 409577

KGD cotton's on the left side. Once out of its packaging, it swells up to roughly the same size as the one on the right.
Thanks man :)

Do you feel any difference? I too ordered from ebay something called 'MUJI' cotton. It's the japanese cotton kanger uses and I saw on youtube a few people raving about it. I guess yours is cheaper? I got mine for 4 dollars + 1 dollars shipping, 129 pcs of KGD sized sheets

EDIT: got a reply from Ameliquid at this hour :O Really appreciate it @alljokingaside, Thank you :)

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
==

View attachment 409577

Is that a dirty ashtray with a disposable lighter I see? lol

alljokingaside

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2015
Busan, Korea
Maybe my wicking teq's improved, but I'm getting fewer gunked coils than I did with the KGD cotton. In terms of feel, similar. The Labo cotton feels slightly grainer at the get-go, but negligibly so. (Actually, I think I like it better since it seems to hold up to my rough pawing and grasping of the cotton) In terms of taste, no difference. They are much smaller than the KGD squares so I'd have (11x8.5 cm, vs 5x6 cm). If yr cotton's the same size, you definitely got the better deal (but ultimately, the difference is a matter of a few bucks. Boop boop)
===
And yes, drrrtty ashtray on my drrtty desk. (It's found new life as an old wick tray. Plus, I've only been at this vaping thing for like ...2-3 weeks) I do like my ashtray though, partially for for sentimental reasons; I've had the thing for roughly a decade

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Maybe my wicking teq's improved, but I'm getting fewer gunked coils than I did with the KGD cotton. In terms of feel, similar. The Labo cotton feels slightly grainer at the get-go, but negligibly so. (Actually, I think I like it better since it seems to hold up to my rough pawing and grasping of the cotton) In terms of taste, no difference. They are much smaller than the KGD squares so I'd have (11x8.5 cm, vs 5x6 cm). If yr cotton's the same size, you definitely got the better deal (but ultimately, the difference is a matter of a few bucks. Boop boop)
===
And yes, drrrtty ashtray on my drrtty desk. (It's found new life as an old wick tray. Plus, I've only been at this vaping thing for like ...2-3 weeks) I do like my ashtray though, partially for for sentimental reasons; I've had the thing for roughly a decade

Was wondering how you are finding your flavors? Any preference for either the TFA or FA? One thing I notice with the TFA flavors is if you don't get the concentrations right they can give off a floral or perfume like taste. I've only tried a couple of FA flavors and wasn't that impressed. I've actually just received some Vaping Zone super concentrated flavors, so I'm venturing into some new taste testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread