A SMPL Explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Not to make light, but I'm betting you got your cardio workout for the day huh?

s

Sure did! :) I had to wipe down the whole room and wash the floor - the amount of soot all over the place was unbelievable! :) As you can see I'm calming down and getting my sense of humour back. :)

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
Really glad you're safe. You don't need to be bashed at all, if anyone needs to be bashed it's the manufacturers and/or vendors who do not provide safety information. I was told about it at my B&M, but nothing came with the mod. A smpl drawing showing the safe and unsafe pins and showing you to put the battery in last should suffice, IMO.

I think the basic lesson here is if your going to use that type of mod make sure whatever your putting on top of it has an adjustable center pin that protrudes well past the threads of the atty.

But on top of that, make sure you put the atomizer on the mod before you put the battery in. This way, you won't push the atty's pin down into the battery.

Maybe having a super long 510 would keep the accidental using a device not made for it from happening? If it don't fit..... Can't use it. :unsure:

I think the problem there is that I'm sure the makers of the mods want them to be used with a wide range of RDAs/RTAs. I think that's great as long as you provide the info on what to look for in a safe RDA/RTA to use with a mod like the SMPL.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Well, we all make mistakes.

I personally had a mod, a GP Paps 2.5 none the less, run away on me a few months ago when I set it down on my desk and walked away from it. Turns out the I had spun the fire button out over time just enough so that even on a flat surface it fired away.

Was lucky in that I was only away from my desk for a minute and caught it before true battery run away but holy BLEEP was that thing hot!

Reactions: NancyR

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
DSCF0038.JPG
heres a good example of proper and improper atty selection for "hybrid" use
atty on left is proper, the one on the right will cause issues

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Thank you for the visual, BK :)

It looks as the one in question is a hybrid of the hybrid?
the one on the left is made specifically for hybrid use... the one on the right is a standard 510 threaded atty with a nearly level + pin extension ( bad for hybrid use allows the negative threads to contact top of the battery causing a direct hard short) the true hybrid atty on the left threads to the tube of the mod not allowing the negative threads to be even close to the + button of the battery, therefore no hard shorts across the battery + connect point.

IMO the SMPL is a bad design allowing attys such as shown on the right in the above picture to create the hard short when the button is pressed on the bottom of the mod.

had the mod been held and the atty been installed nothing would have occured until the bottom button would have been pressed, then the hard short would have occured and things could have been less desireable in the end than what had happened...

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
So from what I can glean from here - the Pisces I own (and which I have been using for a couple of weeks) and the Nemesis I have coming should be ok right? The problem with the SMPL was that it was basically just a threaded hole on top of a tube.

I'm not familiar with the Pisces, but the Nemi should be ok. Just don't screw the telescopic pin to the atty as hard as you can, just in case. Just to where it makes connection and stop. A gentle touch is all that is required.

Reactions: Papillon61

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
@robino

As Thrasher tried to point out on page 2 there are two different things going on here.

A true hybrid is where the body tube of the mod has threading that is not standard 510, but is made to interface directly with the body of a dedicated atomizer. this dedicated atomizer has no 510 connection, but is machined to interface directly with the body of the mod it matches. This gives a very clean, sleek look to the pair when all connected, as there's only 1 seam.

For most mechanicals, a screw on top cap has the standard 510 connection, which you then screw an atomizer in to. This top cap usually has some manner of positive pin that interfaces the positive post of the battery to the positive post of the atty. However, some people do not like this set up for two reasons - you get extra length and more seams between the atty and mod body, and you also have extra points in the circuit where conductivity is reliant on physical contact between two separate pieces of metal.

The SMPL is one of several "hybrid style" mods that tries to marry the two. By not having a separate top cap (or a recessed top cap) there is no longer enough length for a dedicated positive connect pin in the mod. Thus, the positive contact for the atty has to contact directly to the positive contact of the battery. This appears to eliminate both the problems people had with traditional mech mods - it achieves the sleek, simple look of a hybrid, and eliminates the extra points where physical contact is required for conductivity.

However, as amply displayed by the OP - this "solution" can cause problems of its own. VERY careful selection of the appropriate atty and VERY diligent monitoring of battery condition are both absolute requirements to use such a device safely.

I love me my stainless SMPL/marquis combo, but yeah, offering mods like the SMPL or devices like a "hybrid style adapter" for non hybrid mods for sale to the general public is destined to cause these sorts of problems.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    This is true, but manufacturers would have to design attys just for these mods.

Actually the solution has existed for a couple of years. It's just that no one wants to include it into their designs.

DSCN1389_large.jpg

Do away with the mods top cap altogether, and make the top cap part of the atomizer.
    That way you could ONLY use hybrid compatible atomizers on your hybrid mods.
    Our reliance on the 510 connector is the problem.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

This could have been my face this morning - luckily it was my thigh! I'm still shaking. Also luckily I was wearing thick cotton slacks - don't know what would have happened if I had been wearing something synthetic because there was fire.

WOW... I am Glad to Hear that you are OK. And that you were Not Hurt anymore than you Were.

:|

Reactions: Papillon61

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    I'm not familiar with the Pisces, but the Nemi should be ok. Just don't screw the telescopic pin to the atty as hard as you can, just in case. Just to where it makes connection and stop. A gentle touch is all that is required.

What I was trying to say was that mods with a top cap, which in the case of both the Pisces and the Nemesis have some sort of insulation, would be a much safer option and usable with most atties. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Reactions: Thrasher

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    heres what happened... the atty used has a low protrusion + pin, the top of the battery is flexible and when a low protrusion atty+ pin is applied to the mod the threads of the 510 connector of the atty make contact with the now dimpled + portion of the battery. Since the mod was standing upright ( base button being depressed) allowed current to flow causing the battery to supply into a hard short as soon as the negative portion of the atty hit the battery top.
    2 solutions... avoid the SMPL and get another mod designed with a adjustable + pin or find an atty with an adjustable + pin to use with the SMPL....

mechs may seem simple but there are minute details one needs to be told about to vape safely.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    What I was trying to say was that mods with a top cap, which in the case of both the Pisces and the Nemesis have some sort of insulation, would be a much safer option and usable with most atties. If I am wrong, please correct me.

You are correct.
    Non hybrid top caps have a center pin that is insulated. This pin makes contact with the center pin of the atty & the positive post of the battery. This keeps the ground surfaces of the atomizer's 510 connector well away from the positive post of the battery.

add:
    Here's some pics of a Memesis top cap so you can see how it works.
    Nemesisclone-3.jpg

2344_1.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread