A SMPL Explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I've lived through a couple dead shorts, a few years back from faulty pre-built 510 drip atomizers on mech mods. I was using the old 10a red IMR's. As soon as I screwed the battery cap on,the tube started getting warm and it was simply a matter of unscrewing the cap quickly and dumping the battery. No venting, but the wrapper would melt a little. Are these new higher amp batteries more likely to reach a critical point more quickly, or burn hotter?

Edit: Oh yeah, the very first time I saw a hybrid cap, I thought to myself, NO WAY! I use drip attys a lot, and I've seen many a times where the center positive would over time push up past the level of the grounding thread. That's just a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Caterpiller

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Sucks this happened to you, but you're lucky in the sense of what happened when it did occur. I used to have the Godfather which didn't have a positive pin or top cap. So you needed an RDA, pretty much no tank at all honestly, with a pertruding pin. This is the picture from their instagram, but I received this paper when I ordered mine from them. It shows exactly what was needed with this style of mod. I never liked the type of connection, but I was trying to support the maker at the time. It had magnets at the bottom and the atty just screwed on and would touch the battery when the button was pushed. I only shorted one battery, but I was holding it. I knew enough to take it apart and all,

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Thank God you weren't hurt worse than you were, Papillon. I really appreciate you posting this thread, knowing that there will be some pointing the finger at you. I also appreciate all those in this thread who have provided some education as to what happened and why, in particular the problems with this kind of mod.

What many have said about people needing to be educated before using mechs of any type is true, but unfortunately everyone who vapes - and probably most - aren't on the internet trying to find information. The fact that mods like these are sold without any accompanying information when they can obviously be lethal to the user just blows my mind. I've vaped for years and have been thinking a lot about getting into mechs and have read a lot of information on this forum about them. But posts like this really give me pause. There is enough to know about battery safety with regulated mods, but there seems to be exponentially more with mechs. It seems like just that one little thing you didn't know to look for can really come back to bite you.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
This mod has been discussed at length in these forums. It is an advanced mod for users that understand its design and are knowledgeable of exactly how it works. Blaming this on the mod or the manufacture is only trying to release the user of his personal responsibility in the use of the device.

Sorry this happened to you Pappi, but this should be a good warning to those who would like to use this mod and use it safely. Its a perfectly safe device when the user understands how it works.

If the manufacture included instructions then he would have to prove that each user has read such instructions and understood OTHER principles involved, and the legalize involved would quickly get out of hand and the maker would probably be sued at some point. The blanket statement that it is an advanced device says it ALL!

Reactions: Vapenstein

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Papillon, thanks for posting your experience, and thank you to all who took the time to explain about hybrid connections. I've learned a lot through reading this thread. I agree about the plug and play mentality that our modern age has instilled in us, perhaps it would be better if these mods were not threaded to the 510 at all, thereby eliminating the possibility of someone screwing an incompatible atomizer.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
This mod has been discussed at length in these forums. It is an advanced mod for users that understand its design and are knowledgeable of exactly how it works. Blaming this on the mod or the manufacture is only trying to release the user of his personal responsibility in the use of the device.

Sorry this happened to you Pappi, but this should be a good warning to those who would like to use this mod and use it safely. Its a perfectly safe device when the user understands how it works.

If the manufacture included instructions then he would have to prove that each user has read such instructions and understood OTHER principles involved, and the legalize involved would quickly get out of hand and the maker would probably be sued at some point. The blanket statement that it is an advanced device says it ALL!
No ones actually blaming the mod maker. We lay fault on resellers who don't even say hey be careful. They could at least be forgiven IF they said this is an advanced device. But they don't they pat you on the head and say thanks for the sale.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Just gotta say thanks for the thread & glad you are okay. I've a SMPL clone voting from fasttech & feel a lot more aware than I was before reading this.

Question ..... what would a hard plastic washer do on the atty's 510? Could one not use a washer to allow the 510 to extrude farther than stock, provided the 510 was long enough to thread?

The Erlkonigin tank has such a washer for use if the 510 won't meet the mods positive pin.

Would this not solve the issue?
on my gs-h5 tanks I uses a 1/8 inch fiber washer from home depot. pressed onto the bottom pin and trimmed before inserting it into the coil and this extends the pin enough to work on a 4nine hybrid mod. I think adding a fiber washer to the bottom screw on an atty would work well. unlike plastic washers fiber washers do not migrate or compress as much under pressure and would be a safer choice

Reactions: erratum

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Actually, these threads are a VERY good substitute for regulations. When people hear of these types of occurrences, you bet those making these devices are watching and listening very carefully. If they aren't, vapers tend to make their voices heard by using their wallets as their voice.

If this was left up to the 'regulators' it would take many more incidences, even deaths, to occur before word is released and a recall is issued.
hopefully enough vapers read these forums to get the word out so that suppliers will stop selling them.I do not trust business to act if they can make a profit selling these.I would prefer that we police ourselfs but I just don't see it happening.this thread is not the first accident with these things or the first warning about them

Reactions: zoiDman

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
No ones actually blaming the mod maker. We lay fault on resellers who don't even say hey be careful. They could at least be forgiven IF they said this is an advanced device. But they don't they pat you on the head and say thanks for the sale.

When I bought mine, the disclaimer was on the bottom of the purchase page. And in a free market, we don`t blame the seller or make him accountable for making the user aware of each and every potential danger. Its just like the battery seller that got sued. 10`s of thousands of batteries are sold in world every day. Its pretty much assumed that a buyer of a battery should know how to use it and not have to be walked through every aspect of its use.

There is no better solution for these issues except "personal responsibility".

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Yup and I can link 10 pages with not so much as a notice. All these yahoos watching YouTube then going and buying this mod, sidestepping any place that may have knowledge about them.

I've seen enough vids of this mod where no one said anything.
So, reviewer said nothing, store said nothing, why should I worry about checking? After owning a nemesis I wouldn't check before buying a gp either.

How many places at the same time have a warning that rba's and rebuilding is for advanced vapors on every ad? But its OK they leave it off of this mod.

WindyCityJoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
First off, glad nothing worse happened papillon.
As far as regulating and having users manuals go, we use many other products outside of vaping everyday that are regulated and come with user manuals, videos, dvds etc. and guess what? People still get injured on a daily basis by these products. Just look at donut spare tires, most come with big yellow stickers that state "for temporary use only" and do not exceed 50 mph while using this spare tire". But what do we see everyday on the expressway, car with that spare tire passing us at 75- 80 mph.
So IMO this accident was part personal responsibilty and maybe more of a bad design which makes for accidents like this way to easy to happen. Just my :2c:
No attack intened papillon.

Reactions: ENAUD

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Yup and I can link 10 pages with not so much as a notice. All these yahoos watching YouTube then going and buying this mod, sidestepping any place that may have knowledge about them.

I've seen enough vids of this mod where no one said anything.
So, reviewer said nothing, store said nothing, why should I worry about checking? After owning a nemesis I wouldn't check before buying a gp either.

How many places at the same time have a warning that rba's and rebuilding is for advanced vapors on every ad? But its OK they leave it off of this mod.

I hear you. Houston, we have a problem. But I`m also of the opinion that people that get their knowledge base SOLELY from you tube videos pretty much deserve whatever happens.

Dare I say, we as a society have allowed insanity, opinion, and shear ignorance to propagate at a seriously dangerous rate, with no concern for the consequences except to try and regulate people from there own bad thinking. This just sets us up for saying yes sir, no sir with no thinking involved whatsoever. If you take away personal responsibility, you will also take away liberty, and the forgoing ability to fork up and make mistakes that can teach you and I something of value.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I hear you. Houston, we have a problem. But I`m also of the opinion that people that get their knowledge base SOLELY from you tube videos pretty much deserve whatever happens.

Dare I say, we as a society have allowed insanity, opinion, and shear ignorance to propagate at a seriously dangerous rate, with no concern for the consequences except to try and regulate people from there own bad thinking. This just sets us up for saying yes sir, no sir with no thinking involved whatsoever. If you take away personal responsibility, you will also take away liberty, and the forgoing ability to fork up and make mistakes that can teach you and I something of value.
And I just know emergency rooms full of missing fingers is ultimately going to infringe on MY right to vape, and I would prefer to hold someone's hand if need be (while they still have one) so that doesnt come to pass

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Yet another hybrid top cap explosion ....... imagine that!!!!!!

I know this is a bad way to be, but I'm getting to the point that I don't even feel sorry for folks that have a problem when using hybrid top caps.

Honestly, I would feel bad. Not everyone knows that one of the most common ways for a hybrid mod to vent a battery is the tank on top of it's threading is touching the mod threading. Hybrid mods are pretty dangerous though, and usually if I have to adjust my RDA contact at all to get it to fire on an RDA I don't use that RDA on that mod.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
First off, glad nothing worse happened papillon.
As far as regulating and having users manuals go, we use many other products outside of vaping everyday that are regulated and come with user manuals, videos, dvds etc. and guess what? People still get injured on a daily basis by these products. Just look at donut spare tires, most come with big yellow stickers that state "for temporary use only" and do not exceed 50 mph while using this spare tire". But what do we see everyday on the expressway, car with that spare tire passing us at 75- 80 mph.
So IMO this accident was part personal responsibilty and maybe more of a bad design which makes for accidents like this way to easy to happen. Just my :2c:
No attack intened papillon.

I am not of the conclusion that it is a bad design. NO offense intended buy it is not an inherently bad design. The name itself may be somewhat of an oxi- mor..on, but the design is as perfect as perfect gets for its intended purpose.
We should definitely ban all donut spares.

Reactions: Magaro

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
And I just know emergency rooms full of missing fingers is ultimately going to infringe on MY right to vape, and I would prefer to hold someone's hand if need be (while they still have one) so that doesnt come to pass

The ER`s will always be full. Just like "the poor will always be with you", LOL.
Once you have gotten around to teaching everyone how to use any particular PV mod correctly you`ll have to move on to teaching everyone how to drive correctly.

Id wish you luck, but umm, you gonna need more then luck.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
This will be my last post on this thread - it's my bedtime anyway. I could have said nothing about this incident and no one would have been any wiser. But I did.. and the first thing I asked was - was it my fault? and then asked for advice. If I were to tell the whole story, I bought the SMPL on the advice of someone here in an open thread visible to all. I don't remember who it was and even if I did I wouldn't mention them. I'm sure they meant well. But again no one said anything about this not being usable with all atties.

I admit I was stupid. Now after all the discussion I still have a burnt thigh but I am a little less stupid. I'm not blaming the mod. I'm not blaming anyone but myself.

I hope that makes everyone happy. Goodnight from me and have a nice evening.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
This will be my last post on this thread - it's my bedtime anyway. I could have said nothing about this incident and no one would have been any wiser. But I did.. and the first thing I asked was - was it my fault? and then asked for advice. If I were to tell the whole story, I bought the SMPL on the advice of someone here in an open thread visible to all. I don't remember who it was and even if I did I wouldn't mention them. I'm sure they meant well. But again no one said anything about this not being usable with all atties.

I admit I was stupid. Now after all the discussion I still have a burnt thigh but I am a little less stupid. I'm not blaming the mod. I'm not blaming anyone but myself.

I hope that makes everyone happy. Goodnight from me and have a nice evening.
{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread