• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A Taste Of Lorann Flavors That Are Compatible With Our Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
About 6 months ago, I bought every flavor from Lorann that is compatible with our atomizers. Everyone likes them. Here is my take on the flavors not mixed with others.

Note that the stronger the better as you just use less in your mixture (weak means I could not justify buying again). Again do not even bother with the flavorings in the grocery store as you will not get flavor--they simply are not strong enough:

Apple (Medium--Very good)
Bavarian Creme (Strong--Very Good)
Black Walnut (felt lke a squirrel)
Blackberry (Strong--Very good
Brandy (Got lit of this one)
Bubble Gum (Strong--Very Good)
Butter (went looking for some bread to put it on)
Butter Rum (Strong--Very good)
Champagne (Rang in 09 with it--will not in 2010!!)
Cheesecake (strong--very good)
Chocolate Hazelnut (Strong but not too little on the Choc)
Cinnamon Roll (Medium--Very good)
Coconut (strong --Very Good)
Cotton Candy(Strong--Very good)
Cranberry (Strong--very good)
English Toffee (Strong--Very Good)
Guava (did not bother to try--yuck)
Honey (The bees loved it--not me)
Horehound (Strong--taste like a cough drop)
Key Lime (never cared for it so I took a pass)
Lemonade (Strong--very sweet)
Licorice (if you like it--go for it)
Mango (Good to mix with the Strawberry)
Marshmallow (weak)
Mint Chocolate Chip (disappoints but try anyway)
Pecan (not exactly nuts over this one but Strong)
Pina Colada (strong--very good)
Pineapple (Good to mix with the Pina Colada!!)
Pistachio (passed up on it
Plum (not any time soon for me)
Pomegranate (Take a pass--weak--what is it?)
Praline (needed the cream)
Pralines And Cream (Strong--A Winner)
Sassafras (Medium--Not exactly Root beer as you would Expect)
Strawberry Kiwi (Look out Hawaii--nice)
Teaberry (Storng--very good)
Tropical Punch (Strong--puts you in Summer Mode!!)
Vanilla Butternut (the best you can do for a Vanilla--but not vanilla)

There is a Vanilla, but I have found that the alcohol content is way too high and tends to take over the flavor so I can not recommend it--Sun

Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Good post.

One thing I've pointed out before, and will do so again (just for anyone not having read it before) is that there is no definition of 'what is suitable for (or compatible with) our atomizers'.

Bottom line: avoid oils and sugars.

I'm not convinced on the 'colorings' argument. There's never been any type of anecdotal evidence one way or the other on them. Kate chose not to use them based on her speculation, and that got treated as gospel. I've not had any problems with them.

Your mileage may vary.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Good post.

One thing I've pointed out before, and will do so again (just for anyone not having read it before) is that there is no definition of 'what is suitable for (or compatible with) our atomizers'.

Bottom line: avoid oils and sugars.

I'm not convinced on the 'colorings' argument. There's never been any type of anecdotal evidence one way or the other on them. Kate chose not to use them based on her speculation, and that got treated as gospel. I've not had any problems with them.

Your mileage may vary.

Wally--I agree. I have always wanted to try some--especially Strawberry --but now that I see your results, I am abandoning my bar on Colorings and going to give them ago----- Look out Strawberry--here comes --Sun!!

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Caveat: Some flavors (very few) have such a dark color to them that I'm second guessing. I'm not worried about their effect on me. There's no staining of teeth, discoloration of skin, etc. But I'm starting to think they may affect the atomizer. I think I've noticed less vapor production with these.

I am going to dedicate an atomizer to these flavors only, and see what the long term results are.

The flavors in question (at this time) are Root Beer and Coffee (not to be confused with the Keoke Coffee, which is fine.)

ejfan1977

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Kingston, Washington
Okay guys... today was like Christmas again! I got my 100ml of 36mg non-flavored from Eastmall and... I got the three new flavors from PureSmoker; Energee, Cashcap and 555.

I will let you know what I think. I ordered them all in 36mg so I can cut them with some VG and see how much I can dilute without sacrificing flavor. Wish me luck

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Okay guys... today was like Christmas again! I got my 100ml of 36mg non-flavored from Eastmall and... I got the three new flavors from PureSmoker; Energee, Cashcap and 555.

I will let you know what I think. I ordered them all in 36mg so I can cut them with some VG and see how much I can dilute without sacrificing flavor. Wish me luck

How long ago did you place your Eastmall order? I've got one coming, and was just looking for a guideline.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
The flavors in question (at this time) are Root Beer and Coffee (not to be confused with the Keoke Coffee, which is fine.)

Ok... upon further research I've found the following info:

Caramel Color's most commonly used carbohydrate is High Dextrose Corn Syrup; however invert sugar and sucrose are also starting materials. High Dextrose Corn Syrup is the preferred carbohydrate, as the resulting Caramel Color is more stable over time and less viscous.

Unfortunately, this means that any flavor using Caramel Color is actually putting sugars into our atomizers, which might be (and probably is) causing the lack of vapor that I'm experiencing.

I haven't decided if this means I'm not going to use them, or put aside more money for atomizers.

But hey... it's not a health issue. That's a bright side.

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Ok... upon further research I've found the following info:

Caramel Color's most commonly used carbohydrate is High Dextrose Corn Syrup; however invert sugar and sucrose are also starting materials. High Dextrose Corn Syrup is the preferred carbohydrate, as the resulting Caramel Color is more stable over time and less viscous.

Unfortunately, this means that any flavor using Caramel Color is actually putting sugars into our atomizers, which might be (and probably is) causing the lack of vapor that I'm experiencing.

I haven't decided if this means I'm not going to use them, or put aside more money for atomizers.

But hey... it's not a health issue. That's a bright side.

Thanks for doing the research on the caramel color Walrus!
It's too bad that they have to put the coloring in some of the flavors.. but I'm so hooked on the Keoke Coffee that has the caramel color.. I don't think I can give it up now! :wub: I've been using it most of the time.. and haven't noticed less vapor or any more atomizer problems than when I just used regular commercial juice. After reading the Sun likes the Tropical Punch (that has both blue & red coloring) I just might have to at least try mine. I bought some without noticing it had coloring, and the store I buy from won't take returns. :rolleyes:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Thanks for doing the research on the caramel color Walrus!
It's too bad that they have to put the coloring in some of the flavors.. but I'm so hooked on the Keoke Coffee that has the caramel color.. I don't think I can give it up now! :wub: I've been using it most of the time.. and haven't noticed less vapor or any more atomizer problems than when I just used regular commercial juice. After reading the Sun likes the Tropical Punch (that has both blue & red coloring) I just might have to at least try mine. I bought some without noticing it had coloring, and the store I buy from won't take returns. :rolleyes:

Mixxy--Yes I did try the Tropical Punch with Color but everyone gave it the big no no--As I said to Wally tonight--I am not buying that theroy any more and am going to start using them again--talk about a great flavor---Sun

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Mixxy--Yes I did try the Tropical Punch with Color but everyone gave it the big no no--As I said to Wally tonight--I am not buying that theroy any more and am going to start using them again--talk about a great flavor---Sun

Okay... you convinced me! Going to mix up that Tropical Punch! :wub:

MARK4567

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok First off I am not a chemist. I do work with chemicals (oxidizers mostly) for work.
Red#40 is what is known as a "coal tar" dye or "azo" dye and chemically named 6-hydroxy-5-[(2-methoxy-5-methyl-4-sulfophenyl)azo]-2-naphthalenesulfonic acid. Its melting point is 300c. Blue#1 is also a "Azo" dye so they are chemically close . Now what does all this have to do with us? Well PG vapor point is 220c and VG is very similar. Now since our supporting liquid (PG or VG) is vaporizing well below the melting point of the dyes they are simply carried in particulate form (no chemical change) in the vapor.
FDA has said that both red#40 and blue #1 are safe for foods. I am not saying that either of these dyes inhaled into the lungs is safe. BUT and its a big BUT there is no chemical change in these dyes when vaporized in either VG or PG.
Just thought this might help a bit..

Also we were all sucking 4'000 chemicals into our lungs not too long ago (and some of us still do)
So if your fine with that what the hell is a little coloring going to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Ok First off I am not a chemist. I do work with chemicals (oxidizers mostly) for work.
Red#40 is what is known as a "coal tar" dye or "azo" dye and chemically named 6-hydroxy-5-[(2-methoxy-5-methyl-4-sulfophenyl)azo]-2-naphthalenesulfonic acid. Its melting point is 300c. Blue#1 is also a "Azo" dye so they are chemically close . Now what does all this have to do with us? Well PG vapor point is 220c and VG is very similar. Now since our supporting liquid (PG or VG) is vaporizing well below the melting point of the dyes they are simply carried in particulate form (no chemical change) in the vapor.
FDA has said that both red#40 and blue #1 are safe for foods. I am not saying that either of these dyes inhaled into the lungs is safe. BUT and its a big BUT there is no chemical change in these dyes when vaporized in either VG or PG.
Just thought this might help a bit..

Also we were all sucking 4'000 chemicals into our lungs not too long ago (and some of us still do)
So if your fine with that what the hell is a little coloring going to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!

This is my thinking exactly. See my post on Caramel Coloring though... that's not a health issue... it's an equipment issue. Screw with my health... ok.... but don't mess with my atomizers.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
We've pretty well established that our atomizers have the ability to caramelize / carbonize sugars / chemicals that are placed in them...That's what's causing the atomizer gunk / buildup.

I, for one, am not down with putting things into my atomizers that will end up in my lungs as something they weren't intended to be from the start (i.e. I'm going to stop vaping anything with VG in it once I get my shipment of PG in because VG decomposes to CO and CO2 (among other things) when it hits flash temperature. I've also seen it to burst in to flame during tests in my shop / lab which means it's releasing volatile chemicals when it rapidly decomposes.

It's stated that the atomization point of PG 200c so we know our atomizers hit AT LEAST that temp...We don't know what the max temp is AND I guarantee that it will vary from atomizer to atomizer.

Also, I recommend people start digging out the MSDS info on the chemicals in the flavorings they're vaping. Here's a quick snippet from the MSDS for RED#40:

Potential Acute Health Effects: Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation.

This indicates a POTENTIAL acute health risk in the case of inhalation.

Here's more:

Flammability of the Product: May be combustible at high temperature.

Products of Combustion: These products are carbon oxides (CO, CO2), nitrogen oxides (NO, NO2...), sulfur oxides (SO2,
SO3...).

And, the big one...

Section 11: Toxicological Information
Routes of Entry: Absorbed through skin. Eye contact.
Toxicity to Animals:
Acute oral toxicity (LD50): >10000 mg/kg [Rat].
Acute dermal toxicity (LD50): >10000 mg/kg [Rabbit].
Chronic Effects on Humans: Not available.
Other Toxic Effects on Humans: Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of ingestion, of inhalation.
Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals: Not available.
Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:
May cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects (teratogenic) based on animal test data. No human data found.
Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans: Not available.

Research is the key.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Has anyone used the clove oil flavoring from Loranns? If not, is there a clove flavoring out there that would be okay?

Zaxx--the Clove oil will kill an atomizer fast then the speed of light. If I am not mistaken Bickford flavoring has a water soluable Clove that is very nice---here is the link---Sun

See Bickford Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread