A thread for any tank taking nautilus / triton mini coils - kabuki silo nautilus etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
Has anyone tried these nautilus coils yet?

Aspire Nautilus Cisco Spec HH Replacement Coils

"These modified coils are NOT disposable, the coil is easily removed (without dumping the liquid) this allows for easy cleaning, which will further lengthen the life of the coil."

A "non-disposable coil with improved airflow and wicking" for the Nautilus sounds too good to be true. Whaddyathink, just another gimmick?

Ive got the 1.5 ohm one. I cant really give a review because I only used it for maybe 1/4, 1/3 of a tank in the Kabuki. I kept getting a burnt taste out of it, but I didnt give it near the proper amount of time to really see what it could do. I plan on revisiting it soon.

A friend of mine here at ECF has one, Im sure he will give you a good review when he sees your post.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
My recollection was that there was no guarantee that it would work well, or at all, or consistently in the Kabuki, due to slight size differences vs. the Nauti. It's worth doing a search (though not always easy, LOL) through this thread and others before spending your $$.

fiKnight

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Calgary
www.mysticvapor.ca
Ive got the 1.5 ohm one. I cant really give a review because I only used it for maybe 1/4, 1/3 of a tank in the Kabuki. I kept getting a burnt taste out of it, but I didnt give it near the proper amount of time to really see what it could do. I plan on revisiting it soon.

A friend of mine here at ECF has one, Im sure he will give you a good review when he sees your post.

Thanks, I'd really like to hear! I'm curious how the performance is. Cheers!

Reactions: aikanae1

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
I have a couple of the Aspire Nautilus Cisco Spec HH coils that I tried last year. They do work in the Kabuki. The Nautilus coils are the old style with the small wicking holes. The coil is horizontal which is not a bad thing. They work best at low wattage. I tend to chain vape which is not suited for the Cisco Spec coil. Otherwise they work great when I do not chain vape. If I remember correctly at one point I read in the Kabuki thread that they last a good year or more with proper maintenance. I have tucked them away for the time being and have thought about buying a few month to save.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
By "low wattage", what actual wattage/voltage levels are we talking about? I'm good at about 8.5-9.5 watts as a max using the Nautilus or Kabuki, but that's with regular chain vaping. I'm not sure these would work for me because of that - unless regular maintenance resolves that, especially with a few in rotation?

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
These coils are not throw aways so they do need to be cleaned. You can read about this here: Aspire Nautilus Cisco Spec HH Replacement Coils/. It is not a major ordeal IMO. Based on my experience last year, I seem to recall I was vaping somewhere around 8 or 9 watts. I did not have any wicking issues however I did not chain vape. If you have concerns about chain vaping, you may want to contact Avid and ask them about it. Whether Avid has made any changes to the coil since my purchase, I really don’t know.

Rudeboy615

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2016
South Florida
Well
I have a triton and the 1.8 coils I certainly my can't say they're better than the mini coils in any way other than perhaps longevity. The hole in the middle is smaller for those looking to upgrade from the nautilus coils who think the center hole is too big in the triton mini coils. I'll post a couple side by side picks when I change the tank around or so. Based on the positive feedback the full size triton has received I expected them to blow the mini coils away. I could possibly argue the flavor is better with the mini coils but I reality it's just different. I certainly don't think he full size triton and 1.8 coils are worth trying. If you're looking for the next step from the nautilus tanks id probably move on from aspire. I'm really bummed the full size triton 1.8 aren't better. I guess here's a chance there still breaking in but I find them very harsh - muted flavor - mediocre vape density. Just nothing special at all. What a bummer.

Sorry to say so.
I have the triton 2 with the 1.8 coil and I think its way better than my nautilus minis. I can get the air flow really tight and I also use a small inner diameter drip tip (from my pro tank 3 mini.) As for my nautilus mini I'm enjoying the 1.8 Clapton better than the 1.2. The 1.8 Clapton has a long ramp up time but vapor is real dense while the 1.2 is too hot for me.

Attachments

• 20160408_224351~2.jpg
    20160408_224351~2.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 39

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
I'm using the Plato mod and wondering if any of you have it yet as its very new and has a really unique atty mechanism. So far I've used the Nautilus coil (kanthal) and the Clapton coil (.4ohm) that come in the Kit and the Clapton is slightly better in flavor.

So...it's flavor that I'm aiming for. I've found no better atty for flavor than the Crown coil and it's superior, but I can't use that atty with the Plato. I'm wanting to know if it's possible to get that great flavor with any of the Plato coils too. The Triton mini coils work in the Plato, and here's what one ad says....

The Aspire Triton Mini Coils come in 3 versions:

* Ni200 wire at 0.15 ohm: to use with a Temperature Control (TC) device
* Kanthal wire at 1.2 ohm: Quite excellent - great to provide a little more punch to your vape
* Clapton wire at 1.8 ohm: Clapton coil with a Nautilus - fantastic!

For me, this gets way too confusing, but I would 'think' the nickle coil would give me the best flavor. But I would rather not vape at .15 ohms. I like .5 ohms or higher though. I'd like to have your opinions on what would give me the best flavor.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I was wondering about using the mini Triton's .15 ni200 coil in the nautilus mini for MTL.
Can't see why it wouldn't work. It's very similar to the vapor shark nickel coils with much better wicking - but the dimensions are just about equal. I can post a pic if you want. Though I don't have a nautilus mini tank.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I was wondering about using the mini Triton's .15 ni200 coil in the nautilus mini for MTL.

My experience with using factory sub ohm temp control coil heads in MTL devices, even if they are the right size for the device, is that they simply don't work very well. I would advise staying away from trying that sort of setup.

A 0.25 ohm TC coil head needs a lot of power to ramp up quickly, generating a lot of heat fairly quickly. But the airflow on a MTL oriented device, like a Nautilus, Kabuki, or even a Triton Mini with the airflow dialed down for MTL, just doesn't have enough airflow to keep the coil cool for very long. You'd think the TC aspect of things would control that, and it does, but the next vape is always worse then the last as the ramp up time gets longer and longer - because a lot of heat keeps being generated for every pull.

Eventually, and rather quickly, your vape really sucks compared to how good it was. Then you ramp up the temp limit to try keeping up that good initial vape, and things just go from bad to worse. Something of a viscous circle. Then the coil head, or wick, or both, gives out on you way before a regular coil head would, and you feel a bit cheated by the whole idea of temp control.

TC works nice for direct lung hits, but not for MTL hits. If you build and wick your own TC heads you can compensate and have a durable setup, usually by going as far up as space limits allow you in resistance, but you need a generous deck to do that with. The Triton Mini doesn't have enough space for that.

So, unless you are building your own colis, I would really recommend staying away from using TC for MTL, as you will be very dissatisfied. I've gone down this route, and discussed the issue with other knowledgable folks on the forum. The only workaround is building your own, relatively high resistance, TC coil heads - on devices with large enough build decks that let you do that. But then good MTL airflow can be an issue, unless you like an airier draw.

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
My Kabuki Clone tank glass cracked the other day, so I'll have to get a replacement. I drop my gear frequently, so no big surprise - though I've yet to have that happen with one of my Nautilus Mini tanks. For now I'm using the Nautilus Mini tanks instead. That's working out okay, but I still prefer the MTL vape I get off the Kabuki Clone. I should probably buy another one as a backup.

Reactions: aikanae1

fiKnight

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Calgary
www.mysticvapor.ca
My Kabuki Clone tank glass cracked the other day, so I'll have to get a replacement. I drop my gear frequently, so no big surprise - though I've yet to have that happen with one of my Nautilus Mini tanks. For now I'm using the Nautilus Mini tanks instead. That's working out okay, but I still prefer the MTL vape I get off the Kabuki Clone. I should probably buy another one as a backup.
Not sure how it ends up running through twice as much juice as the Nauti Mini with the same coils, but it sure is tasty!

Reactions: newyork13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread