A thread for any tank taking nautilus / triton mini coils - kabuki silo nautilus etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmyvapes

May 8, 2016
Georgia, US
First off, Thanks @h00ligan @WickedWicks @David Wolf @dsheik @billybc96 @Katdarling et al.!! Amazing thread, thank you for going into talk about the kabuki, the Nauti RBA deck ect. I'm a chain vaping MTL flavor chaser lol. I love my nautilus mini but have been looking for that ultimate flavor vape.. and also curious to try TC and RTA/RBA's. I just purchased the Apsire Triton mini odyssey kit two weeks ago for 40bucks from myfreedomsmokes because of its ability to take nauti mini coils/ Top Fill/ and its TC which I hadn't gotten into yet and was curious to try. Now I am looking into a whole bunch more stuff thanks to this thread! But real quick to answer a question for @Cumulo Vapus ...

Also, do i really have to get a higher vg ehile using triton minis? Ive got my mind set on 50/50....how high should i go with the VG?
Not at all, I'm using Triton mini coils on 50/50 mix with no flooding/gurgling or spit back. I will note however if you live in warm climate (Its currently 80's where I'm at) If you're outside for any significant time your 50/50 juice will thin and you may get a lil gurgling (I did) but I haven't had any flooding issues.

Last edited:

Kimmyvapes

May 8, 2016
Georgia, US
My thoughts on the Triton Mini tank for those nauti users who might be considering buying one.
I am a devout nauti user, both the original and the mini (though my mini is my fav) The original nauti had too many flood issues for me and leaking from the bottom air holes, instead of looking for a fix or ordering new base, I just picked up a nauti mini instead. Sorry I got off track, back to the triton mini.
Here are IMO Pros and cons...

Pros- New Top fill design helps reduce the amount of wear on your threads, also much easier to take apart and fill on the go where you might need to do all in hand and not have a clean surface to lay anything on. (I can do a refill while in the car (no need to lay anything down simply untwist top with one hand pinch top between pinky and ring finger while holding mod with thumb and other two fingers, and fill with bottle with other hand) Top fill has two holes so that as juice goes in air comes out evenly (note this is with 65VG based liquids or lower) For most my blends I use 50/50pg/vg but also have used 35/65PG/VG liquids with no trouble.

Pro- Backwards and Cross compatible with Nauti mini atomizers
Pro- Option for TC Ni .15ohm coils

Pro- Can be used as a restricted DTL tank (this pro is somewhat subjective since not all MTL vapers like this)

Pro- again this one is subjective more airflow if you are looking to slowly venture into DL but can be tapered back to good MTL airflow unlike many sub ohm tanks which don't work for MTL well at all when put on most restrictive setting. Also, I changed out the stock drip tip which is shorter and wider bore for a more preferred drip tip for MTL with focus on flavor hitting my tongue (I really like the Bent drip tips for this), this further helps restrict the airflow for those who like true MTL like the nauti gives.

Pro- Changing coil is less messy due to the juice flow shut off unique top fill which allows you to close off the juice flow meaning when it's closed you can lay the tank down (even on its side though not recommended)and nothing is going to spill out while you putting a new coil in the base. I also feel like this juice cut off valve helps with other trouble shooting as well, example: accidently overfill tank a little, or got a little gurgling.. close off the juice flow, fire a few puffs, open it back up and usually it's solved the gurgling.

Con- Only holds 2 ml of juice

Con- Fill holes are slightly smaller than other top fill tanks, glass drippers are finicky when trying to fill have to go a bit slower. No issues with unicorn style tips or most standard plastic squeeze bottle tips.

Con- The coils do not support chain vaping very well. Due to the airflow design there really isn't enough airflow to allow both wicking and cooling.. you end up getting a very hot coil rather quickly if you're a MTL chain vaper like myself. (This may just be some sort of personal con I have, if anyone knows a good chain vaping tank let me know lol)

Those are my main Pros and Cons that I can think of right now, if anyone else see's something I didn't list please mention them.. this is by no means a full pro and con list, just the pros and cons I felt were important to me or in some way helpful for a potential nauti mini user looking at buying one.

As for the Triton mini coils, here is my experience so far...
1.8 ohm Claptons - Took me two days to get used to this coil, exceptionally long break in period compared to the nautilus mini 1.8/1.6 ohm coils (1-2ml break in) It took me two tanks (4ml) to break in this coil to where I was getting a good full bodied dense flavorful vape. I know as a nauti user when I seen the 13-16w range recommendations I was a little weary, I mean any nauti fan knows 7.5-9.5w is the sweet spot on a 1.8-ohm nautilus coil.. any hotter and you risk ruining your coil. Don't worry, this Clapton coil is perfectly safe and a great comfortable vape in the 13-16w range..my pegasus mini was reading 4.49v to the battery at 13.5w and for me personally, 13.5w is my sweet spot, i like a cool vape.. i tried to 16 but it was too warm for my own taste.
(Note when you receive your tank, remove stock coil, break it down wash it with burst of hot water, dry it and then put all back together and fill with juice, mine had machine oil residue in it and my first try at it tasted terrible, but taking it apart and washing it fixed the issue and no flavor probs after) I'm still vaping on my 1.8 ohm clapton coil @ 13.5w after 2 days, I have noticed a drop off of flavor but no bad taste, just a bit muted I have ran 21 mls of 50/50 strawberry milk through it so far, I think I might make it maybe 6-10 more ml and change it. I find every person is different in how they flavor gauge a coils lifespan. I might go a little more longer than some might, while a little less than others on a coil. But it seems like these particular coils on average last a MTL chain vaper 3-4 days which is not good on the wallet at 10 bucks for a 5 pack. This coil also sucks up more juice than a regular 1.8-ohm nautilus coil. I did expect this since a clapton coil essentially has more surface area for the juice to come into contact with and vaporize. I use inexpensive juice so this isn't deal breaker for me... However, the coil lifespan is kinda a downfall for me, if it stays true... I'll find out soon and post an update.

1.2 ohm Kanthal coil- I only did a test run of this one in my nautilus mini. I will say it does work, but I don't like it in my nautilus mini.. it just seems like the nautilus mini doesn't give it the airflow this coil truly needs. I noticed my base got pretty warm pretty quick, so I had to let it rest frequently between use to prevent popping a brand new coil. The flavor and vapor production was very pleasing I must say. More vapor than the reg 1.6/1.8 nautilus coils.. not really sure if the flavor is significantly better.. maybe better by just a little bit... I think if I put it in the triton mini which does have more airflow it might give a better profile of the flavor.. will update this also as I put it in the triton mini soon as my 1.8 clapton gives out.

.15 ohm Ni TC coil... Have not tried this one yet, will update soon as I do.. have heard positive reviews about it but I'm a little nervous going into TC.

A note about the Mod- I bought the kit so I am using the Triton mini on the Pegasus mini. My opinion of the mod... It's a great lightweight single 18650 battery Mod. It's simplistic in design, no fancy controls. 5 quick Clicks of the fire button to lock, 3 Clicks for Stealth mode, a wattage up and down buttons. It goes to sleep after 60 seconds of no use but Does NOT have an off button. I repeat stealth mode is not an off button. It will fire in stealth mode if Not locked. Stealth mode simply turns off the LCD screen so that you can fire the device and vape without any light coming from the device (I never use it since I don't vape anywhere that I would be concerned about the screen lighting up). The single 18650 battery fully charged lasted me 6mls of e-liquid vaping at 13.5w. For me, that was about 3/4 the day. I had to put the battery on the charger when I got home around 7pm and popped in a new battery. I recommend having 2 batteries so that you always have one fresh charged on hand and ready to go.

Sorry if this post was too long or got off topic in some places. This is my first ever post here and I was a bit excited.

TL;DR It's a nice tank to add if you're a fan of the nautilus mini and your primary vaping style is Mouth to Lung but you want a little more flexibility to start into some restricted Direct to Lung Hits.

Last edited:

Flywheel Shyster

Jul 10, 2015
As I've moved into RTAs I hadn't used my nauti or mini so thought hell with it, I'll get rid of the AFC rings. Harder to do on the mini, but both are so much better with the afc gone to give just the right air flow for MTL. I too found 1.2 kanthal lackluster, I liked it enough but didn't last long and flavor seemed muted compared to my normal 1.6 or the new 1.8 clapton. I really liked the Triton mini at first but tend toward my both nautilus' over it. Gotta admit, the mini without afc ring beats the standard without the afc.

For my normal MTL i've been using the fogger v5 [a great tank that is sadly overlooked because of wicking problems...i don't know, i messed up once and then wicked it the way I do my Goblin and has worked like a charm since and i'm new to building]. For favorite MTL vaping I have Fogger v5 > Nauti mini without afc ring > Triton mini = nautilus without afc > classic nautilus

anyone hear about the new nautilus x coming out ?

Reactions: Kimmyvapes

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
My thoughts on the Triton Mini tank for those nauti users who might be considering buying one.
I am a devout nauti user, both the original and the mini (though my mini is my fav) The original nauti had too many flood issues for me and leaking from the bottom airholes, instead of looking for a fix or ordering new base, I just picked up a nauti mini instead. Sorry I got off track, back to the triton mini.
Here are IMO Pros and cons..

Pros- New Top fill design helps reduce the amount of wear on your threads, also much easier to take apart and fill on the go where you might need to do all in hand and not have a clean surface to lay anything on. (I can do a refill while in the car (no need to lay anything down simply untwist top with one hand pinch top between pinky and ring finger while holding mod with thump and other two fingers, and fill with bottle with other hand) Top fill has two holes so that as juice goes in air comes out evenly (note this is with 65VG based liquids or lower) For most my blends I use 50/50pg/vg but also have used 35/65PG/VG liquids with no trouble.

Pro- Can be used as a restricted DTL tank (this pro is somewhat subjective since not all MTL vapers like this)

Pro- again this one is subjective more airflow if you are looking to slowly venture into DL but can be tapered back to good MTL airflow unlike many sub ohm tanks which don't work for MTL well at all when put on most restrictive setting. Also, I changed out the stock drip tip which is shorter and wider bore for a more preferred drip tip for MTL with focus on flavor hitting my tongue (I really like the Bent drip tips for this), this further helps restrict the airflow for those who like true MTL like the nauti gives.

Pro- Changing coil is less messy due to the juice flow shut off unique top fill which allows you to close off the juice flow meaning when its closed you can lay the tank down (even on its side though not recommended)and nothing is going to spill out while you putting a new coil in the base. I also feel like this juice cut off valve helps with other trouble shooting as well, example: accidently overfill tank a little, or got a little gurgling.. close off the juice flow, fire a few puffs, open it back up and usually its solved the gurgling.

Cons- Only holds 2 ml of juice

Cons- The coils do not support chain vaping very well. Due to the airflow design there really isn't enough airflow to allow both wicking and cooling.. you end up getting a very hot coil rather quickly if you're a MTL chain vaper like myself. (This may just be some sort of personal con I have, if anyone knows a good chain vaping tank let me know lol)

Those are my main Pros and Cons that I can think of right now, if any one else see's something I didnt list please mention them.. this is by no means a full pro and con list, just the pros and cons i felt were important to me or in some way helpful for a potential nauti mini user looking at buying one.

1.8 ohm Claptons - Took me two days to get used to this coil, exceptionally long break in period compaired to the nautilus mini 1.8/1.6 ohm coils (1-2ml break in) It took me two tanks (4ml) to break in this coil to where I was getting a good full bodied dense flavorful vape. I know as a nauti user when I seen the 13-16w range recommendations I was a little weary, I mean any nauti fan knows 7.5-9.5w is the sweet spot on a 1.8-ohm nautilus coil.. any hotter and you risk ruining your coil. Don't worry, this Clapton coil is perfectly safe and a great comfortable vape in the 13-16w range..my pegasus mini was reading 4.49v to the battery at 13.5w and for me personally, 13.5w is my sweet spot, i like a cool vape.. i tried to 16 but it was too warm for my own taste.
(Note when you receive your tank, remove stock coil, break it down wash it with burst of hot water, dry it and then put all back together and fill with juice, mine had machine oil residue in it and my first try at it tasted terrible, but taking it apart and washing it fixed the issue and no flavor probs after) I'm still vaping on my 1.8 ohm clapton coil @ 13.5w after 2 days, I have noticed a drop off of flavor but no bad taste, just a bit muted I have ran 21 mls of 50/50 strawberry milk through it so far, I think I might make it maybe 6-10 more mls and change it. I find every person is different in how they flavor gauge a coils lifespan. I might go a little more longer than some might, while a little less than others on a coil. But it seems like these particular coils on average last a MTL chain vaper 3-4 days which is not good on the wallet at 10 bucks for a 5 pack. This coil also sucks up more juice than a regular 1.8 ohm nautilus coil. I did expect this since a clapton coil essentially has more surface area for the juice to come into contact with and vaporize. I use inexpensive juice so this isn't deal breaker for me... the coil lifespan however is kinda a downfall for me, if it stays true.. I'll find out soon and post an update.

1.2 ohm Kanthal coil- I only did a test run of this one in my nautilus mini. I will say it does work, but I don't like it in my nautilus mini.. it just seems like the nautilus mini doesn't give it the airflow this coil truly needs. I noticed my base got pretty warm pretty quick, so I had to let it rest frequently between use to prevent popping a brand new coil. The flavor and vapor production was very pleasing I must say. More vapor than the reg 1.6/1.8 nautilus coils.. not really sure if the flavor is significantly better.. maybe better by just a little bit.. I think if I put it in the triton mini which does have more airflow it might give a better profile of the flavor.. will update this also as I put it in the triton mini soon as my 1.8 clapton gives out.

.15 ohm Ni TC coil... Have not tried this one yet, will update soon as I do.. have heard positive reviews about it but I'm a little nervous going into TC.

A note about the Mod- I bought the kit so I am using the Triton mini on the Pegasus mini.. My opinion of the mod... It's a great lightweight single 18650 battery Mod.. It's simplistic in design, no fancy controls. 5 quick Clicks of the fire button to lock, 3 Clicks for Stealth mode, a wattage up and down buttons.. it goes to sleep after 60 seconds of no use, But Does NOT have an off button.. I repeat stealth mode is not an off button.. it will fire in stealth mode if Not locked. Stealth mode simply turns off the LCD screen so that you can fire the device and vape without any light coming from the device (I never use it since I don't vape anywhere that I would be concerned about the screen lighting up). The single 18650 battery fully charged lasted me 6mls of e liquid vaping at 13.5w.. For me that was about 3/4 the day.. I had to put the battery on the charger when I got home around 7pm and popped in a new battery. I recommend having 2 batteries so that you always have one fresh charged on hand and ready to go.

Sorry if this post was too long or got off topic in some places. This is my first ever post here and I was a bit excited.

TL;DR It's a nice tank to add if you're a fan of the nautilus mini and your primary vaping style is Mouth to Lung but you want a little more flexibility to start into some restricted Direct to Lung Hits.
Great review Kimmy!

Reactions: Kimmyvapes

Kimmyvapes

May 8, 2016
Georgia, US
Yes, I've seen a few sites taking pre-order for them, I thought this was going to be their "sub ohm" tank though I only seen coils as low as 1.0 ohm for it, an interesting feature I read was that this tank has a unique U-Tech coil technology that will provide a cooler more unique vape experience than anything else on the market. I guess we shall have to wait and see. The airflow design has me curious.

Reactions: fiKnight

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I am a devout nauti user, both the original and the mini (though my mini is my fav) The original nauti had too many flood issues for me and leaking from the bottom airholes, instead of looking for a fix or ordering new base, I just picked up a nauti mini instead. Sorry I got off track, back to the triton mini.
Here are IMO Pros and cons..

Pros- New Top fill design helps reduce the amount of wear on your threads, also much easier to take apart and fill on the go where you might need to do all in hand and not have a clean surface to lay anything on. (I can do a refill while in the car (no need to lay anything down simply untwist top with one hand pinch top between pinky and ring finger while holding mod with thump and other two fingers, and fill with bottle with other hand) Top fill has two holes so that as juice goes in air comes out evenly (note this is with 65VG based liquids or lower) For most my blends I use 50/50pg/vg but also have used 35/65PG/VG liquids with no trouble.

Pro- Changing coil is less messy due to the juice flow shut off unique top fill which allows you to close off the juice flow meaning when its closed you can lay the tank down (even on its side though not recommended)and nothing is going to spill out while you putting a new coil in the base. I also feel like this juice cut off valve helps with other trouble shooting as well, example: accidently overfill tank a little, or got a little gurgling.. close off the juice flow, fire a few puffs, open it back up and usually its solved the gurgling.

Cons- Only holds 2 ml of juice

Cons- The coils do not support chain vaping very well. Due to the airflow design there really isn't enough airflow to allow both wicking and cooling.. you end up getting a very hot coil rather quickly if you're a MTL chain vaper like myself. (This may just be some sort of personal con I have, if anyone knows a good chain vaping tank let me know lol)

Those are my main Pros and Cons that I can think of right now, if any one else see's something I didnt list please mention them.. this is by no means a full pro and con list, just the pros and cons i felt were important to me or in some way helpful for a potential nauti mini user looking at buying one.

1.8 ohm Claptons - Took me two days to get used to this coil, exceptionally long break in period compaired to the nautilus mini 1.8/1.6 ohm coils (1-2ml break in) It took me two tanks (4ml) to break in this coil to where I was getting a good full bodied dense flavorful vape. I know as a nauti user when I seen the 13-16w range recommendations I was a little weary, I mean any nauti fan knows 7.5-9.5w is the sweet spot on a 1.8-ohm nautilus coil.. any hotter and you risk ruining your coil. Don't worry, this Clapton coil is perfectly safe and a great comfortable vape in the 13-16w range..my pegasus mini was reading 4.49v to the battery at 13.5w and for me personally, 13.5w is my sweet spot, i like a cool vape.. i tried to 16 but it was too warm for my own taste.
(Note when you receive your tank, remove stock coil, break it down wash it with burst of hot water, dry it and then put all back together and fill with juice, mine had machine oil residue in it and my first try at it tasted terrible, but taking it apart and washing it fixed the issue and no flavor probs after) I'm still vaping on my 1.8 ohm clapton coil @ 13.5w after 2 days, I have noticed a drop off of flavor but no bad taste, just a bit muted I have ran 21 mls of 50/50 strawberry milk through it so far, I think I might make it maybe 6-10 more mls and change it. I find every person is different in how they flavor gauge a coils lifespan. I might go a little more longer than some might, while a little less than others on a coil. But it seems like these particular coils on average last a MTL chain vaper 3-4 days which is not good on the wallet at 10 bucks for a 5 pack. This coil also sucks up more juice than a regular 1.8 ohm nautilus coil. I did expect this since a clapton coil essentially has more surface area for the juice to come into contact with and vaporize. I use inexpensive juice so this isn't deal breaker for me... the coil lifespan however is kinda a downfall for me, if it stays true.. I'll find out soon and post an update.

1.2 ohm Kanthal coil- I only did a test run of this one in my nautilus mini. I will say it does work, but I don't like it in my nautilus mini.. it just seems like the nautilus mini doesn't give it the airflow this coil truly needs. I noticed my base got pretty warm pretty quick, so I had to let it rest frequently between use to prevent popping a brand new coil. The flavor and vapor production was very pleasing I must say. More vapor than the reg 1.6/1.8 nautilus coils.. not really sure if the flavor is significantly better.. maybe better by just a little bit.. I think if I put it in the triton mini which does have more airflow it might give a better profile of the flavor.. will update this also as I put it in the triton mini soon as my 1.8 clapton gives out.

A note about the Mod- I bought the kit so I am using the Triton mini on the Pegasus mini.. My opinion of the mod... It's a great lightweight single 18650 battery Mod.. It's simplistic in design, no fancy controls. 5 quick Clicks of the fire button to lock, 3 Clicks for Stealth mode, a wattage up and down buttons.. it goes to sleep after 60 seconds of no use, But Does NOT have an off button.. I repeat stealth mode is not an off button.. it will fire in stealth mode if Not locked. Stealth mode simply turns off the LCD screen so that you can fire the device and vape without any light coming from the device (I never use it since I don't vape anywhere that I would be concerned about the screen lighting up). The single 18650 battery fully charged lasted me 6mls of e liquid vaping at 13.5w.. For me that was about 3/4 the day.. I had to put the battery on the charger when I got home around 7pm and popped in a new battery. I recommend having 2 batteries so that you always have one fresh charged on hand and ready to go.

well done kimmy

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Regarding the Nautilus X:

The replaceable coil head is the chimney, so to speak, so I imagine that part will be larger. Wick holes are good sized, and hopefully (due to the larger size of the coil head) there is sufficient wicking material in there. The "U-Tech" couls bring that into question though.

That design takes up more space, so maybe that doesn't leave much room for wick? Hard to tell. Top filling, bottom "leak proof" design seems alright, similar to some other recent tank that accomplishes that well, but I forget at the moment what it is called, or even if it is a MTL or sub-ohm tank.

I wish the Nautilus X had a bit more juice capacity, but the top fill feature helps mitigate that negative. I also wish its 1.5 ohm coil head wasn't quite so power hungry, but I'm used to using 18650 powered stuff these days, so that's not too big a deal. It also looks like the drip tip mouthpiece is proprietary, can't be replaced with just a regular 510 drip tip of your choice, so that is a negative.

Any other opinions on what can be seen of the Nautilus X at their website or elsewhere? I hope it ends up being a wonderful, best ever MTL tank, but we'll just have to wait and see. As you can probably tell, I am a bit doubtful. This early YouTube video review doesn't sound too inspiring, but it is done by people who prefer direct lung hits, so their opinion isn't very helpful. They barely even show you how it vapes at all! (The gal in the video blows some vapor once, and that's it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: drysprocket

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
According to another, brief, YouTube video the Nautilus X is oriented toward vaping heavier VG juices - about a 80/20 VG/PG mix. I like the sound of that, as I use juice that is high VG. The pre-order at Vape NW lists these tanks (all 4 color finishes) selling at $25.99: Aspire Nautilus X $25.99

Other sites (pre-order listings) show prices more in the range of $35.50, which is a little high to me for an MTL tank like this, but not unusual for a new tank. I don't see any listing anywhere showing what the replacement coil heads will cost. Heaven Gifts describes this tank as a "cartomizer", which seems pretty funny to me. Really? A "cartomizer"? C'mon guys, just because it is an MTL tank it gets called a "cartomizer"? They wouldn't call it that if it were a direct lung hit sub-ohm device. They could maybe get away with calling it a "clearomizer" if they wanted to, but not a "cartomizer" for crying out out!

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Here's a better, more thorough Aspire Nautilus X review:

This guy really liked the flavor delivery level in particular, though I wasn't terribly impressed with the vapor density I saw in the video (except when he did a few wide open direct lung hits), but he was using about 50/50 PG/VG juice, so higher VG juice would likely run better as far as that goes. He also noted the vape as being very warm, which is not surprising for a very short dual-coil device like this. I'm not sure how much warmth exactly we are talking about here, but I'm uncertain I'd like all that much warm myself. I guess it just depends. I liked the warmth I got off an iClear 16 DTC clearomizer back in the day, but that was a few years ago. There are now a very few more early reviews on this tank out there. They generally seem positive, though the warmth of the vape has been noted a time or two. All of them are very quick reviews, with no real break-in apparently done on the coil head at all - which seems a little weird to me compared to how I treat my regular use coils. These reviewers all seem a little rushed to get their review out ahead of everyone else, so I suppose that explains their behavior.

I can't say I'm necessarily bowled over with excitement over this new tank compared to what I experience off a Kabuki clone for MTL vaping, but I look forward to someone on this thread trying out a Nautilus X and letting us know how they like it. I certainly like the top-fill aspect, and that's something I've been interested in with a newer MTL oriented tank design.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
As I've moved into RTAs I hadn't used my nauti or mini so thought hell with it, I'll get rid of the AFC rings. Harder to do on the mini, but both are so much better with the afc gone to give just the right air flow for MTL. I too found 1.2 kanthal lackluster, I liked it enough but didn't last long and flavor seemed muted compared to my normal 1.6 or the new 1.8 clapton. I really liked the Triton mini at first but tend toward my both nautilus' over it. Gotta admit, the mini without afc ring beats the standard without the afc.

For my normal MTL i've been using the fogger v5 [a great tank that is sadly overlooked because of wicking problems...i don't know, i messed up once and then wicked it the way I do my Goblin and has worked like a charm since and i'm new to building]. For favorite MTL vaping I have Fogger v5 > Nauti mini without afc ring > Triton mini = nautilus without afc > classic nautilus

I'm curious about this. How do you remove the AFC ring on a Nautilus Mini? This does not seem like something that would be easy to do. Drilling open the largest airflow hole seems like it would almost be easier in comparison, though I've never done that either. Honestly, for me anyway, just using the Kabuki clone eliminates the need to take such drastic measures to one of my tanks.

I am a devout nauti user, both the original and the mini (though my mini is my fav) The original nauti had too many flood issues for me and leaking from the bottom air holes, instead of looking for a fix or ordering new base, I just picked up a nauti mini instead. Sorry I got off track, back to the triton mini.
Here are IMO Pros and cons...

Pros- New Top fill design helps reduce the amount of wear on your threads, also much easier to take apart and fill on the go where you might need to do all in hand and not have a clean surface to lay anything on. (I can do a refill while in the car (no need to lay anything down simply untwist top with one hand pinch top between pinky and ring finger while holding mod with thumb and other two fingers, and fill with bottle with other hand) Top fill has two holes so that as juice goes in air comes out evenly (note this is with 65VG based liquids or lower) For most my blends I use 50/50pg/vg but also have used 35/65PG/VG liquids with no trouble.

Pro- Changing coil is less messy due to the juice flow shut off unique top fill which allows you to close off the juice flow meaning when it's closed you can lay the tank down (even on its side though not recommended)and nothing is going to spill out while you putting a new coil in the base. I also feel like this juice cut off valve helps with other trouble shooting as well, example: accidently overfill tank a little, or got a little gurgling.. close off the juice flow, fire a few puffs, open it back up and usually it's solved the gurgling.

Con- Only holds 2 ml of juice

Con- Fill holes are slightly smaller than other top fill tanks, glass drippers are finicky when trying to fill have to go a bit slower. No issues with unicorn style tips or most standard plastic squeeze bottle tips.

Con- The coils do not support chain vaping very well. Due to the airflow design there really isn't enough airflow to allow both wicking and cooling.. you end up getting a very hot coil rather quickly if you're a MTL chain vaper like myself. (This may just be some sort of personal con I have, if anyone knows a good chain vaping tank let me know lol)

Those are my main Pros and Cons that I can think of right now, if anyone else see's something I didn't list please mention them.. this is by no means a full pro and con list, just the pros and cons I felt were important to me or in some way helpful for a potential nauti mini user looking at buying one.

1.8 ohm Claptons - Took me two days to get used to this coil, exceptionally long break in period compared to the nautilus mini 1.8/1.6 ohm coils (1-2ml break in) It took me two tanks (4ml) to break in this coil to where I was getting a good full bodied dense flavorful vape. I know as a nauti user when I seen the 13-16w range recommendations I was a little weary, I mean any nauti fan knows 7.5-9.5w is the sweet spot on a 1.8-ohm nautilus coil.. any hotter and you risk ruining your coil. Don't worry, this Clapton coil is perfectly safe and a great comfortable vape in the 13-16w range..my pegasus mini was reading 4.49v to the battery at 13.5w and for me personally, 13.5w is my sweet spot, i like a cool vape.. i tried to 16 but it was too warm for my own taste.
(Note when you receive your tank, remove stock coil, break it down wash it with burst of hot water, dry it and then put all back together and fill with juice, mine had machine oil residue in it and my first try at it tasted terrible, but taking it apart and washing it fixed the issue and no flavor probs after) I'm still vaping on my 1.8 ohm clapton coil @ 13.5w after 2 days, I have noticed a drop off of flavor but no bad taste, just a bit muted I have ran 21 mls of 50/50 strawberry milk through it so far, I think I might make it maybe 6-10 more ml and change it. I find every person is different in how they flavor gauge a coils lifespan. I might go a little more longer than some might, while a little less than others on a coil. But it seems like these particular coils on average last a MTL chain vaper 3-4 days which is not good on the wallet at 10 bucks for a 5 pack. This coil also sucks up more juice than a regular 1.8-ohm nautilus coil. I did expect this since a clapton coil essentially has more surface area for the juice to come into contact with and vaporize. I use inexpensive juice so this isn't deal breaker for me... However, the coil lifespan is kinda a downfall for me, if it stays true... I'll find out soon and post an update.

1.2 ohm Kanthal coil- I only did a test run of this one in my nautilus mini. I will say it does work, but I don't like it in my nautilus mini.. it just seems like the nautilus mini doesn't give it the airflow this coil truly needs. I noticed my base got pretty warm pretty quick, so I had to let it rest frequently between use to prevent popping a brand new coil. The flavor and vapor production was very pleasing I must say. More vapor than the reg 1.6/1.8 nautilus coils.. not really sure if the flavor is significantly better.. maybe better by just a little bit... I think if I put it in the triton mini which does have more airflow it might give a better profile of the flavor.. will update this also as I put it in the triton mini soon as my 1.8 clapton gives out.

A note about the Mod- I bought the kit so I am using the Triton mini on the Pegasus mini. My opinion of the mod... It's a great lightweight single 18650 battery Mod. It's simplistic in design, no fancy controls. 5 quick Clicks of the fire button to lock, 3 Clicks for Stealth mode, a wattage up and down buttons. It goes to sleep after 60 seconds of no use but Does NOT have an off button. I repeat stealth mode is not an off button. It will fire in stealth mode if Not locked. Stealth mode simply turns off the LCD screen so that you can fire the device and vape without any light coming from the device (I never use it since I don't vape anywhere that I would be concerned about the screen lighting up). The single 18650 battery fully charged lasted me 6mls of e-liquid vaping at 13.5w. For me, that was about 3/4 the day. I had to put the battery on the charger when I got home around 7pm and popped in a new battery. I recommend having 2 batteries so that you always have one fresh charged on hand and ready to go.

Great information. Thank you. It almost sounds like the Triton Mini might not be worth it, unless someone really wants top-fill, which I have to admit - I definitely do. Your experience with the 1.8 ohm Clapton coils sounds similar to mine, in that they just don't seem to last very long - mine typically lasting even fewer days than yours. So, in a way, the Triton Mini is kind of a slight upgrade to a Nautilus Mini, in that its got the top-fill, and has more airflow control - both of which are pretty good things. I had heard of leak issues with the Triton/Triton Mini family of tanks, but you made no mention of anything like that. I assume that means you had no such issues? Have you tried a Kabuki by any chance for comparison? What do you think of what you've seen of the Nautilus X MTL tank? It seems like a pretty good option (top-fill, more AFC, "leak proof") when it comes out at the end of the month, other than possibly vaping too warm - which could be a deal killer for some.

Flywheel Shyster

Jul 10, 2015
I'm curious about this. How do you remove the AFC ring on a Nautilus Mini? This does not seem like something that would be easy to do. Drilling open the largest airflow hole seems like it would almost be easier in comparison, though I've never done that either. Honestly, for me anyway, just using the Kabuki clone eliminates the need to take such drastic measures to one of my tanks.

Getting of the standard nautilus was fairly easy, I slightly damaged the mini by not using the same tool. All you need is a very thin sharp knife, a razor you'd think work but doesn't have enough [mass?] to help pop it off. I took a wrench as I midsplaced my hammer but a small hammer would be better than large hammer, and hit the back of the knife to wedge in the afc ring and the base. Wiggle it around a bit to part as much as possible and then do it again at the next tapered point, six times lighly in a circle will get the standard nautilus off in a jif. The mini is much tighter, I recommend doing the same six times where you can see the gap then tape a small flat head [the kind you might use to build nano coils, i think i used a 1/16?] and then working it in and up all around. it'll take about ten minutes or so but once you get the full circle loosened it'll begin to come off much easier.

pardon typos.[/QUOTE]

Kimmyvapes

May 8, 2016
Georgia, US
@billybc96 Thank you and you're spot on, the triton really is just an upgrade to the mini for those that love the nauti coils but want top fill and wider airflow (without drilling/modding their mini tanks lol) I will say since I got mine I have enjoyed it as my out and about tank because of the top fill, and I have had 0 leaks with this tank. Not once has it leaked or given me trouble, and I left this thing sitting all kinda ways, and toss it in the bottom of my purse. If it leaks it would have to be a defect in that tank, or user error. Only the coils haven't lasted me near as long as I see others stating, but that could just be my own taste preferences. I tend to change coils soon as the flavor drops. I think people who first start out probably use the coils longer simply because they have nothing to compare it to. I know when I first got my nautilus mini I had the first coil that came with it in my tank for over a month! But those were back in the BDC days before they switched to organic cotton BVC, which don't get me wrong I like them.. but I think they are way more finicky and sensitive to juices and wear and tear. I haven't tried the kabuki, kinda wish I would have ordered one instead of the huge vape mail order I just got today(can't wait to dig into it all) Instead I decided to start my venture into rta's. I also ordered the nauti/kabuki V2 rebuildable deck from ebay that I hope will be coming in late may early june. I was excited about the Nautilus X MTL tank till I seen that review of it being a hotter vape. I know most MTL tanks are inherently a warmer vape due to the small amount of airflow, but I like cool vapes. Who knows, though, If a decent sale hits I might just pick one up for a comparison. = )

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
@billybc96 Thank you and you're spot on, the triton really is just an upgrade to the mini for those that love the nauti coils but want top fill and wider airflow (without drilling/modding their mini tanks lol) I will say since I got mine I have enjoyed it as my out and about tank because of the top fill, and I have had 0 leaks with this tank. Not once has it leaked or given me trouble, and I left this thing sitting all kinda ways, and toss it in the bottom of my purse. If it leaks it would have to be a defect in that tank, or user error. Only the coils haven't lasted me near as long as I see others stating, but that could just be my own taste preferences. I tend to change coils soon as the flavor drops. I think people who first start out probably use the coils longer simply because they have nothing to compare it to. I know when I first got my nautilus mini I had the first coil that came with it in my tank for over a month! But those were back in the BDC days before they switched to organic cotton BVC, which don't get me wrong I like them.. but I think they are way more finicky and sensitive to juices and wear and tear. I haven't tried the kabuki, kinda wish I would have ordered one instead of the huge vape mail order I just got today(can't wait to dig into it all) Instead I decided to start my venture into rta's. I also ordered the nauti/kabuki V2 rebuildable deck from ebay that I hope will be coming in late may early june. I was excited about the Nautilus X MTL tank till I seen that review of it being a hotter vape. I know most MTL tanks are inherently a warmer vape due to the small amount of airflow, but I like cool vapes. Who knows, though, If a decent sale hits I might just pick one up for a comparison. = )

I had no idea you could buy a rebuildable deck for the Kabuki or Nauti!! I am very happy to know about this. I will look into it. Thanks for the scoop!

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
Pbusardo will have a nautilus X vs. protank 4 review coming up and he is a mtl guy.
I rarely use the biggest airflow on the nautilus mini. Only time I do is when coil is getting gunked and needs more airflow. Maybe you guys need to clean the airflow holes vs removing it.

Yeah theres something to that. I use the mini nautilus with the VVTF RBA V1 and when I got my coil and wicking set right there is plenty of airflow on the second largest hole. Ill move up to the larger hole as the wick starts gunking up, but thats generally when I know I need to change out the wick soon.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I received my Innokin Prism T22 tank late the other day, so I loaded it up 4ml or so of juice, let the tank sit for awhile, then fired it up at 7 watts to get the ball rolling - breaking it in easy. Vapor production and flavor was actually not terrible at just 7 watts, but the vapor was already warmer than I'm used to. The draw resistance was pretty tight, but not all that different than a regular 1.8 ohm coil in a Nautilus Mini, so I was surprised a bit at the warmth. The standard T22 tank coil is a 1.5 ohm coil, that supposedly typically runs well at about 14 watts. I never got anywhere near that high in my break-in period, as the vape was just too warm for me and I kept returning to my Nautiluses and Kabuki clone.

The top-fill setup on the T22 works really nicely. Coil heads are replaced by screwing the bottom of the tank off, and the coil head just sits in place with a sort of oval shaped flange that all gets held in place when the bottom of the tank is screwed back on. There are no threads on the coil heads at all. I thought that was pretty slick. Airflow is non-adjustable, tight, and comes from two sides underneath the tank. The tank was well constructed and finished. I got a black one. The proprietary narrow bore drip tip looked like it was made of delrin, and seemed rather thin and flimsy. It did not appear to be replaceable with a 510 drip tip, and it tended to fall off the tank rather too easily because it doesn't sit very deep in the top of the tank at all.

Perhaps for absolutely new vapers this tank would be alright, but I didn't find it compared all that well to either a Nautilus or Kabuki tank using Nautilus BVC heads. The vape seemed just too warm to me, but maybe that's how warm cigarette smoke is? It certainly could be. It has been years since I smoked, so I simply can't remember now. Obviously I prefer a somewhat cooler vape nowadays, which is kind of a surprise. If you've been vaping for awhile at all, I don't think there's much reason for you to get an Innokin Prism T22. The lack of any AFC is a big negative if you are used to that feature in any of your tanks, and the T22's apparently non-replaceable drip tip really kind of sucked. The tank does have some other worthwhile features that would be great - in an otherwise completely different tank, so that's kind of too bad.

I suspect the Nautilus X would also be too warm for me, but at least it has adjustable airflow, so that might help, but its drip tip is a proprietary fit too - which really limits your options. I think I'll take a pass, but maybe there will eventually be a Nautilus X V2 that corrects some of those issues?

Reactions: fiKnight

Rudeboy615

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2016
South Florida
I've been attempting to build the subtank mini rba for mtl. With stock 1.5 coils the airflow was too airy so I've been trying to build vertical coils on the rba. I've noticed a huge deference in heat between a 1.5 and a 1.8 coil. Started with 3mm inner diameter coil but found a 2mm works best, airflow wise. The vape has been dryish on all attempts so ill try different wicking, and airflow isn't very precise (airflow set between the 2 small holes for tightest possible setting). Been having similar problems rebuilding nautilus coils. Just rebuilt a triton v2 1.8 coil and it seems to be working ok, great airflow as always! I left the cotton filler for the juice holes and just rinsed it, since trying to change it seems nearly impossible. Will try a shell from a .5 coil next since it allows me to change the filler cotton, than will add the positive pin from a 1.8 coil due to its smaller airflow holes.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I am uncertain of the eventual consequences of this FDA deeming madness thing going on, but it does make me want to get a good MTL RTA or two, just in case. I was thinking something like the Mini Goblin V2. This Nautilus/Kabuki RTA deck thing sounds interesting too, but I can't imagine there is much build deck space in something like that. If it is cheap enough though, I should probably get one anyway, but a top-fill setup would seem preferable. Any opinions on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread