First RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonah92

Mar 5, 2015
walsall
Hello im looking for a rda, I have had a shop around and I have narrowed it down to a few, the tobh atty, plume veil, magma and the dark horse dripper. I am more leaning towards the tobh atty as personally it looks the more simple to build on. I will be trying to build .5 ohm coils as that's what im using at the moment (aspire Atlantis) could you give me any advice/recommendations

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
What mod are you using?? If .5 is your target, you absolutely don't want a Darkhorse unless you are planning to push a lot of watts through it. what's more important to you, clouds or flavor? Magma is definitely a flavor atty, and super easy to build. Plume Veil is a little bit of both, as is the Tobh. I think the flavor on the Darkhorse sucks, but it'll blow clouds.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Thanks for the reply im using a smok xpro 65 I still want to subohm, im going to build dual coils so would I have to build 2 1ohm coils to achieve .5 ohm, please correct me if im wrong im new to this

Sorry, we were answering at the same time. Yes, two 1 ohm coils will net you .5 ohms. What batteries are you using?

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
An under appreciated RDA which might make a good "1st" is a Brass Monkey. It has a two hole block on the positive post which eliminates the need to catch two wires under a single screw or hole when using dual coil builds. The top cap is really thick which results in reduced chamber volume to concentrate flavor and resist heating if you are chaining it. The air holes are well positioned to minimize condensation leakage. It has AFC with a slightly tight draw even when fully open but can be drilled out if you find that you prefer more air flow at some point in the future.

Bjorhyn

Verified Member
Oct 20, 2014
Colorado
I would rather have a nice flavour and a reasonable size cloud than no flavour and alot of cloud production, im using Samsung 2500 mah in my xpro to be honest I was leaning towards the tobh as it looks the most simple to build on, thanks for the reply

In that case, a Tugboat V2 should be on your list to look at.
The Steamboat is a V2 clone that's functionally identical to the authentic, but much cheaper.

Check it out here.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
In that case, a Tugboat V2 should be on your list to look at.
The Steamboat is a V2 clone that's functionally identical to the authentic, but much cheaper.

Check it out here.
But what's the build and material quality on something like that? So far my experience with clones has not been the best. I bought a Tobeco Plume Veil a month ago and it's ready for the garbage already.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

Thoughtmobster

Feb 24, 2014
Texas
But what's the build and material quality on something like that? So far my experience with clones has not been the best. I bought a Tobeco Plume Veil a month ago and it's ready for the garbage already.

Tobeco clones are notoriously bad. Some are good most not so much. 101vape has a steamboat clone by Lawless which is my go to. Amazing build quality. Does well from .27 on up as that's as low as I like to go for flavor and heat. So I couldn't tell you if it does well lower. But it is amazing. That is the link they left you, straight to 101.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bjorhyn

Verified Member
Oct 20, 2014
Colorado

It's pretty much indistinguishable from the original with the exception of different artwork, and a stainless center post instead of copper.
I would typically agree, I don't always have the best luck with clones, but I'd stake my reputation on this one.

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hello Jonah:

Like him or not, Ripp Trippers published a You Tube video back in July 2014, where he discusses his five favourite RDAs (at that time). Might be worth a look. I'm just in the process of ordering a Magma clone from Fastech, to give dripping a go. I figure that a clone is an inexpensive way to try dripping. I should also mention that I'm a mouth to lung vapor, so that factored into my decision to try the Magma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_bPqO2tE4o

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1718100

Last edited:

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
The only one of those that I would steer clear of is the Magma. PITA to build. Depending on what mod you are using, a 0.5 Ω build on a dripper vs. the Atlantis will be much different. My build of choice is 6 wraps of 24 ga. kanthal on a 3mm or 1/8" bit at around 0.28Ω.

What. The Magma is 1 of the easiest RDAs ive ever built on. Its my 2nd fav RDA of all time behind the Derringer. Has 1 of the deepest juice wells ive ever seen so thats a hugh plus. Has rarely if ever leaked on me that i remember.

Plume veils are nice but tend to leak alot and if youre going the clone route stay away from Tobecos version. Careful on coil placement to because ive had and known others who have burnt the delrin on the cap.

The Tobh is nice because (to me) its easy to build on with 22/24g wire. With out a chuff top i thought it was rather weak in flavor and vape production. With it the flavor is still weak but the clouds are pretty nice.

Dark Horse, no opinion havent used 1 yet but plan on picking up an infinite clone in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread