Any cons of having a series box? Is it necessary to get new batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm assuming you are speaking of "series" vs "parallel" battery use. Series in my understanding is "stacking" batteries end to end in the same battery slot. Parallel means using batteries side by side in their own battery slots.

Theoretically, in most cases, stacking batteries in series is frowned upon. One battery takes the main brunt of the energy consumption, and unless alternated in the order that they are used, that battery weakens faster and ages prematurely. This scenario with one battery weaker than the other can be potentially dangerous.

Stacking batteries in series doubles the voltage output available to the atomizer, but does not appreciably add to the available battery time. For example, stacking two 18350 700 mAh batteries (3.7 volts each) will provide 7.4 volts, but retain the 700 mAh battery time despite using two batteries. You would get more battery time simply using a single 18650 2000 mAh battery.

Stacked or unstacked?
In some mods, you can fit two 18350's when the mod is configured for an 18650. This boosts the voltage output from 3.6V to 7.2V which means more vapor. Yay. BUT, you should NEVER do this. Unless you are familiar with matching batteries, you are only endangering yourself and others.

You may think, "Well, shucks, laptops have multiple batteries in them, why can't my e-cig?" Laptop batteries are specifically designed for stacking and are paired for use at the factory. When using un-matched batteries, they will discharge and provide current at different rates. This means one battery will continuously take more of the stress than the other.

You may not notice any trouble at the start, but as the batteries age with use the problem will become more severe. Push the batteries a bit further and now you've entered the realm of thermal runaway (see pics at beginning of this blog). Downside being that one battery entering thermal runaway will push the other battery into thermal runaway. Now you have two small, flaming explosives only inches from your face.

When stacking batteries in series, it is extremely important to match or "marry" the batteries when new. Use and charge them in marked pairs. Use exactly the same model/brand battery.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Someone else will come in here with more info on batteries wired in series vs parallel, but I can tell you that the batteries in series will double the battery voltage where paralell will double the capacity and amperage.

This being said you want married batteries when using a dual 18650 device. You want to buy them, charge them, use them at the same time. I wouldn't suggest using batteries that were not paired from the start.

RTD vapor has legitimate batteries for a fair price.

Look at those quick replies, disregard first paragraph as Bad already covered it.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I guess I assumed the OP was talking about a mod like the Sigelei 100W. Being tht the mod was designed for this and has the appropriate safety features, I assume its as safe as anything else. I've had one for 6 months. I haven't heard of any fires, meltdowns or explosions.

I would not do it in a mod that this wasn't intended for. The Sigs do each have their own battery slots.

Shotglass

Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Houston, TX
I don't know about the Sigs but the GOD180 has the batteries wired in series. I got it for extended battery life, because I rarely go over about 50w, and even with the circuit protection I still started with new batteries, charge them together and rotate them when I reinstall them. I saw no need to take any chances with three 18650s that close to my ugly mug.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I guess I assumed the OP was talking about a mod like the Sigelei 100W. Being tht the mod was designed for this and has the appropriate safety features, I assume its as safe as anything else. I've had one for 6 months. I haven't heard of any fires, meltdowns or explosions.

I would not do it in a mod that this wasn't intended for. The Sigs do each have their own battery slots.

That's true, when I usually think of series 18650 configurations I'm picturing a box mod(regulated) with a battery sled, I did forget that people can do a series stacked configuration in a tube. Isn't this essentially the same in a unregulated box as well? I also see a lot of "mechanical" boxes in series with a MOSFET, making things more controlled.

yovengo

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2014
Houston,TX,USA
That's true, when I usually think of series 18650 configurations I'm picturing a box mod(regulated) with a battery sled, I did forget that people can do a series stacked configuration in a tube. Isn't this essentially the same in a unregulated box as well? I also see a lot of "mechanical" boxes in series with a MOSFET, making things more controlled.

Ill post pics

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I'm assuming you are speaking of "series" vs "parallel" battery use. Series in my understanding is "stacking" batteries end to end in the same battery slot. Parallel means using batteries side by side in their own battery slots.

Side-by-side batteries can be either in series or parallel, depending on how they are wired. If the positives are wired to each other, and the negatives are wired to each other, then they are in parallel. If, on the other hand, they are wired so the positive of one battery feeds into the negative of the other, then they're in series, exactly the same as if they were stacked one on top of the other. Think anything that uses 2 AA's, how you flip one over and put it in backwards, compared to the other one. That's (almost certainly) a series connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread