Let's be honest, smoking cigarettes is far cheaper than vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Ten years ago I purchased a top of the line cigarette injector for $25. That same injector costs $35 right now, and it has been highly improved. I can buy top quality bulk tobacco wholesale on the internet, top quality filtered cigarette tubes, and produce world class cigarettes for just about $1.25 per pack. A few years ago it was less than a $1.00 per pack. These are first class top quality cigarettes, better than anything you can buy in any store. You can make them in any style or strength you like, regular or menthol.

A fumble fingered klutz with no practice can pump out one cigarette every 30 seconds, I can do 5 or 6 per minute, and I am kind of a klutz myself! I know poor people and rich people who make cigarettes this same way. Who still buys cigarettes in stores for $5 to $10 per pack? Seriously, who does that? Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Don't tell me it would have been to difficult for you to do, because messing with Mods, and e-juice, and batteries is far more time consuming and difficult than pumping out cigarettes on a tube injector. So my former habit cost me $1.25 per day for a pack. I can already tell that I will be burning far more than $1.25 in e-juice daily.

All I am saying is that vaping is more expensive than smoking for anyone with common sense, so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous. Brag about why you are doing it for your health.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Ten years ago I purchased a top of the line cigarette injector for $25. That same injector costs $35 right now, and it has been highly improved. I can buy top quality bulk tobacco wholesale on the internet, top quality filtered cigarette tubes, and produce world class cigarettes for just about $1.25 per pack. A few years ago it was less than a $1.00 per pack. These are first class top quality cigarettes, better than anything you can buy in any store. You can make them in any style or strength you like, regular or menthol.

A fumble fingered klutz with no practice can pump out one cigarette every 30 seconds, I can do 5 or 6 per minute, and I am kind of a klutz myself! I know poor people and rich people who make cigarettes this same way. Who still buys cigarettes in stores for $5 to $10 per pack? Seriously, who does that? Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Don't tell me it would have been to difficult for you to do, because messing with Mods, and e-juice, and batteries is far more time consuming and difficult than pumping out cigarettes on a tube injector. So my former habit cost me $1.25 per day for a pack. I can already tell that I will be burning far more than $1.25 in e-juice daily.

All I am saying is that vaping is more expensive than smoking for anyone with common sense, so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous. Brag about why you are doing it for your health.

There are actually 3 question marks in there, but I don't think there are actually any real questions.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
RYO is certainly cheaper and better then Big Tobacco cigarettes but just like cigarettes, you can buy much cheaper juice which isn't falsely marketed as premium. There are many vendors out there which offer 120ml bottles for $20 or less. Learn DIY and its Cheaper yet.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
RYO is certainly cheaper and better then Big Tobacco cigarettes but just like cigarettes, you can buy much cheaper juice which isn't falsely marketed as premium. There are many vendors out there which offer 120ml bottles for $20 or less. Learn DIY and its Cheaper yet.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that's it.

The same way somebody can smoke cheaper by ryo,
a vaper can vape cheap with a mech mod, rda, and diy eliquid AND be cheaper than ryo.
but yes, as the op stated, it would require knowhow

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Right back at ya ;) Even though RYO is much less expensive, I've only met about 2 people IRL who dun it.

Should we update the banners to say "If I continued smoking the way that I smoked, I would have spent..." ? I've seen plenty of banners that account for RYO-style smokers, and they have saved considerably less money than those of us who didn't RYO. So it is out there, most just didn't do it.

Anywho, it's not just about the money for me...I like my banner, and in a year, I've still only spend about $300 on vaping supplies. Factor in the long term savings from setting up my own DIY juice kit (half of that was on supplies for it), and I'll spend much less next year on supplies. But i smell better and feel better and so much more.

To each their own!

ETA: my ejuice costs me about 10 cents/mL...I vape about 3mL per day. Vaping is cheaper for me than RYO would've been.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Right back at ya ;) Even though RYO is much less expensive, I've only met about 2 people IRL who dun it.
ETA: my ejuice costs me about 10 cents/mL...I vape about 3mL per day. Vaping is cheaper for me than RYO would've been.

Agreed. I worked in one of Chicago's largest tobacco shops for years and I think I sold two of those RYO machines in that time. Granted, RYO has grown massively in the past decade but the vast majority of smokers still buy packs or cartons (and their IQ's are arguably over 75) because cig smokers tend to be brand loyal and RYO doesn't taste the same.

FYI, I vape about 10ml of DIY a day. That 30 cents a day is a bargain compared to smoking a pack :)

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida

If you do not like vaping or if it is to expensive for you then why are you here?

I am just not understanding the point of your post. It just seems like you want to rain on others parade. Why?
If people are happy and not harming you or your life then why are you concerned?
People here should be celebrated. Your post is just nit picking and does not mention at all that you actually vape.

{MODERATED}

Last edited by a moderator:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous.

Seriously? Disingenuous? You do realize that people make their calculations based on what they used to spend on cigs, not on what you spend on cigs, right?

Negative waves? ;)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Could I have made RYO cigs when I smoked? Probably. Did I? No. According to the major tobacco companies earnings statements, A LOT of people don't. My banner is based on what I spent on cigarettes daily, and if you set one up, you can set it for what you would have spent on cigs daily.

I spend on average, maybe $20 a month on juice/gear. I'm a modwomper, I vape 2-3ml/day.

I also only spend about 30 minutes a week "fiddling" with my gear, so... yeah.

VCross

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Yucaipa, California
Price of smoking vs startup cost of vaping? Sure, I'll give you that if you get a really expensive mod. It's cheaper to just keep smoking but at this point I've got a nice mod that I smoke and a 30ml bottle of juice for about $7 lasts me about 2 weeks and a 5 pack of BVC coils costs me about $7 and I only use about 2 of them per month. So, I can smoke for a whole month off basically $15 which is cheaper than even RYO.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I don't care about the money either. I could easily afford cigarettes with no problems. And in 2 months I have spent much more on vaping equipment and DIY base and flavours than I would have on a year and a half of smoking, although I was forced into that by the circumstances we live in. But that is not the point is it. The point is I feel better, period.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
For me... $150 is a year plus a little worth of juice. $40 is at least a year worth of batteries. 20 bucks bought me a decade worth of cotton a year ago. 25 bucks bought me 5 or so years worth of wire.

When I was smoking, I smoked 19 1/2 cigarettes a day every day and a nice cigar twice a month. If I rolled them, I rolled drum and I smoked 19 1/2 a day. It wasn't cheap and even became unavailable for about a year because of some trade dispute. If I bought them, I bought camels and I smoked 19 1/2 of them a day and the end was real close to 6 bucks a pack... The cigars I smoked were usually worth about thirty bucks each but were occasionally a couple bucks less and a couple of times a year about 80 bucks more.

Yeah. I'm saving money. When I consider my decision to try vaping after failing to stop smoking and knowing my health was failing because I was smoking... I wonder how much I've saved just in oxygen tanks I don't have to carry with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread