Well, that figures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
So, I'm looking for a new job to avoid relocating my family 500 miles away from where we consider "home". Due to a highly competitive job market and my current compensation level, finding the right opportunity hasn't been easy. Well, I had identified a potentially perfect opportunity through an intermediary - money is there, my skills and experience are a perfect fit for the position, the employer wants to land someone ASAP and they are keen to pursue my services.

The kicker? The employer is Reynolds American. On one hand, I need to look out for number one and provide for my family to the best of my abilities. On the other, I can't in good conscious draw a paycheck from big tobacco. If I still smoked, it would be a no brainer, lol.

Oh well, the search continues.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
We do what we have to do to support our families, I once worked at McDonalds when I was still in school I wasn't shouting Big Mac is king from the rooftops it was a job to put food on the table. Your job is your job, what you do in your off time is none of their concern nor should you concern yourself with politics when it comes to feeding your family.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I've worked for the devil before..don't do it.

Keep looking

My cousin (the MIT double PhD'er at age 21) used to work for big Tobacco..he looked and looked, finally landed a prof's job..and now working on a brain implant to help with alzheimers patients .

don't sacrifice your ideals for a paycheck..it'll pay off in the long run :)

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
Take the job if it is still available, and keep looking for something you may like better. You need to keep a roof over you family, and food on the table. There is nothing wrong with continuing to look for something you feel will be a better fit for you.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
Take the job, by taking a paycheck from them doesn't mean you support them. Besides isn't Reynolds behind one of the cigalikes? And if so you can always say your paycheck is coming from that part of the company.

I have had jobs over the years that didn't align with my views. We used to own both liquor stores in a town but neither one of us drank and the kicker, my (soon to be ex) wife was the director of a drug and alcohol rehab center. That's a true conflict of interests but business is business. I can tell you people that were openly against liquor sales but they would sneak into the stores to stock up on the "devils water".

Tmg666

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2014
Green bay, Wisconsin
Without big tobacco we wouldnt have vaping. The harmful chemical additives made somone think " is there a healthier way?". I would take the job as its not like they force you to smoke, or anyone else. If you hate it you can always keep looking on the side for better opportunities while your working there.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
I work for BT as chemist and when I started the job I was still smoking. That job was actually he reason I started vaping. Cleaning smoke machines from tar after running 400 cigs on it makes one think.
It also helps that when analysing Ecigs we found, well, nothing. (or close enough to nothing)
I also openly vape in my office.

From the "Moral" point of view, I dont have a problem at all, but thats obviously a personal choice.

Last edited:

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I appreciate all of the feedback. Just to be clear, I'm not in danger of losing my current job, it's just being moved 450 miles away to Atlanta, GA. If necessary, I'll "commute" to Atlanta and come home every weekend. Not ideal, but not impossible either.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
I appreciate all of the feedback. Just to be clear, I'm not in danger of losing my current job, it's just being moved 450 miles away to Atlanta, GA. If necessary, I'll "commute" to Atlanta and come home every weekend. Not ideal, but not impossible either.
This coming from someone who commutes up to 5,000 miles for my job and gets home some weekends, take the job close to home, be home at night not alone in a motel room/efficiency apartment 450 miles from your home/family.

No one I know of will condemn you for doing what's best for your family. Not working for BT is not going to make them go away, take the offer and enjoy the paycheck while sitting in your own home not sitting alone in a room and driving 7-8 hours to get home only to have to turn around 36 hours later and drive 7-8 hours back to your room.

If I had it all to do over again I wouldn't be in the field I'm in now, it was fun when I was in my 20's, now it ****'s but I'm too old to reinvent my career and maintain the lifestyle I have become accustomed to.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
In the nicest possible way, I think you'd be nutz not to take the job and stay home with the family.

The weekend dad / husband arrangement can take a heavy toll on even the most secure families / relationships.
Sometimes the cost of a 'good conscious' is steeper than anything a person can imagine, no one can know up front what the risks are or the price may be until its too late.

IMO, where a paycheck comes from doesn't define who you are or what you believe.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
If you do decide to do the commuter thing, keep in mind that it will be a strain on the whole family. Do you have good friends/family nearby that your wife can count on for support and in case of emergencies? How does your family feel about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread