New style of hybrid pod, billet, AIO? Got no idea what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_Boy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2019
Got no idea what this thing falls into...

The MechLyfe Ratel 80W (8.5V). It uses an external 18650 battery and it uses an rta build deck. I’m not sure if you can use pre-made coils for it though. You can use it in both DTL and MTL but with MTL it’s loose draw. You can’t adjust the airflow on the fly, you have to take the panels off to make the airflow adjustments.
A0E5AA64-EC69-430B-B53A-61F66E8BE48D.jpeg

The build deck looks nice and simple to build on. You might get away with fitting in an alien coil.
8DD8227F-31D7-4908-9E30-CE1703F0654F.jpeg

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
My opinion would be that this is not really a pod system. It's a small mod/RTA setup.
Due to the inability to use a non-proprietary tank, I think it qualifes. Curious how easy a refill is though, as well as controls/interface layout.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Hehe, Mike needs to get over the flap... I think he's a little envious.

I agree with him on the feature like locking wattage, although a firmware update could handle that. Stealth mode would be nice too, but the topside he compares it do doesn't have that either, so....

Also, pods should have the coil to one side, and slightly lower than the base of the reservoir, to allow for easier filling and draining completion, which would make the window placement make sense.

It's a BIG step for pods though,

Reactions: stols001

Del_Boy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2019
Hehe, Mike needs to get over the flap... I think he's a little envious.

I agree with him on the feature like locking wattage, although a firmware update could handle that. Stealth mode would be nice too, but the topside he compares it do doesn't have that either, so....

Also, pods should have the coil to one side, and slightly lower than the base of the reservoir, to allow for easier filling and draining completion, which would make the window placement make sense.

It's a BIG step for pods though,

We may as well class this as a prototype set up for what’s to come. Kinda like what happened with Orion where other companies used the layout of the kit and make improvements. We can only wait and see.

Del_Boy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2019
More a rebuildable aio imo or as Vapemesilly suggests a small rta kit. I think the term pod is more a catch phrase here.

To be honest I wouldn’t know what the MechLyfe Ratel kit will fall into. It looks like a pod (which is where the confusion begins) but functions like an RTA kit. It might even be in a completely new category. I don’t know.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
18650 is too big form factor for an appropriately sized pod system.
A 18350 would fit the bill, in my opinion. But for the manufacturers, Asian markets use 18650 for about everything with a replaceable cell, so we are stuck: either proprietary fixed Li-Po, or replaceable 18650.
There will be custom pod systems at any point in time? Hard to say...

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Purists won't call this a pod.

If a mechanical mod has a wire, it's not a pure mech according to the purists. You wouldn't know just by looking at it.

The Silver Bullet had a wired fire button, so purists said it wasn't a pure mech. You'd never know just by looking at one. Looked like a mech to me.

silverveing.jpg

Maybe add the title "hybrid" to this pod mod? :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
It's a thin Billet Box with the controls on the outside. Without a DNA board. And without the customization options (maybe that'll change if it sells). But that is not a pod.
The only thing pod like is the tank pod, looks like an Orion pod LOL But I like rebuild able and I like external battery, especially in these times. I like these types for out an about rather than take my Radius with tank on top :)

• Love

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The only thing pod like is the tank pod, looks like an Orion pod LOL But I like rebuild able and I like external battery, especially in these times. I like these types for out an about rather than take my Radius with tank on top :)

Oh, it could be a great out and about mod, especially with a replaceable 18650 so you can carry a backup if you're gone long. It all comes down to how that deck and tank perform. Doesn't look too terrible to build on. You have the 510 on the bottom to fire it up and check your build with before reassembling, which is a must. One of the issues that comes up with any pod/AIO with an RBA is how will you check your build before assembly? Will they provide an adapter or is it integrated?

I'm thinking of the Smoant Pasito (or Pistachio, you know the one I mean) . I have not seen or read any reviews on it with the RBA and have no idea how they addressed that issue.

This looks like something I definitely would love to hear about your opinion on and experience with when it lands.

Reactions: bnrkwest

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Oh, it could be a great out and about mod, especially with a replaceable 18650 so you can carry a backup if you're gone long. It all comes down to how that deck and tank perform. Doesn't look too terrible to build on. You have the 510 on the bottom to fire it up and check your build with before reassembling, which is a must. One of the issues that comes up with any pod/AIO with an RBA is how will you check your build before assembly? Will they provide an adapter or is it integrated?

I'm thinking of the Smoant Pasito (or Pistachio, you know the one I mean) . I have not seen or read any reviews on it with the RBA and have no idea how they addressed that issue.

This looks like something I definitely would love to hear about your opinion on and experience with when it lands.
I looked at the Smoant Pasito also, it has a really tiny build on it and cramped space, that turned me off, but I like the looks of the Pasito, reminds me of the Orion. Edit- it maybe an easy build but looked cramped to me! This Ratel I liked the build deck, more of what I am used too, so went to it LOL I really Like Orion but it has internal batt and the pods are not rebuildable but they are coming out with drop in coils for their pods. But still in these times, it is only going to last so long and availability of pod drop in coils are only going to be available until May looks like. I have been looking at everything as what will last the longest now when we can't get anything.

• Agree

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
What exactly makes a particular device become an official "pod" device? Portable On Demand perhaps?

At one point it was implied what a pod was. Then came the mod-pod. Not modular, but mod-able such as adjustable airflow.

Soon pod's will have the ability to replace the wick and coil on purpose.

Hybrid seems to fit the bill for the subject of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread