Lost Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't like that model but I suppose innovation and all that. Also, you can NEVER find a Lost Vape product on deep discount. Never. Maybe that is part of the production model because I rather hastily bought two of the last ones available after thinking "Oh, I will pick one up on discount at some point."

I always wonder what that does to the warranty though? I mean, I could have warrantied one of mine on day 4 when the battery compartment all came apart. But I was like, "HOW will I replace it?" Hence the dang electrical tape.

I think I finally got the top of mine screwed down correctly but I still ALSO electrical taped it for "Just in case."

Anna

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't like that model but I suppose innovation and all that.
. I don’t know why they would do it either. I suspect someone has done a bunch of math on the subject though. I’m also not 100% sure it’s true. It’s merely something I read here once. Treat as rumor I guess.
Also, you can NEVER find a Lost Vape product on deep discount. Never. Maybe that is part of the production model because I rather hastily bought two of the last ones available after thinking "Oh, I will pick one up on discount at some point."

I always wonder what that does to the warranty though? I mean, I could have warrantied one of mine on day 4 when the battery compartment all came apart. But I was like, "HOW will I replace it?" Hence the dang electrical tape.

I think I finally got the top of mine screwed down correctly but I still ALSO electrical taped it for "Just in case."

Anna
One would assume they also manufacture an amount of spare parts and replacement devices for a projected number of warranty repairs.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I find that here in OZ shops will not usually stock mods and atty's once their initial stock is depleted...if it's popular they stock it and often with only limited stock, just a fast sell attitude. For something old I have to buy from China direct or FT. I see shops like Amazon, FT and Aliexpress as the way of the future...just a retail space for old stock.

Del_Boy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2019
I’ve just been reading this thread. If Lost Vape have stopped making mods (Therion, Mirage, Paranormal, triade and Drone) in favour of their newest products, does that mean the discontinued mods will eventually increase in value over time due to rarity? If so, I just picked up a parallel Lost Vape Therion DNA75 today for £70.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’ve just been reading this thread. If Lost Vape have stopped making mods (Therion, Mirage, Paranormal, triade and Drone) in favour of their newest products, does that mean the discontinued mods will eventually increase in value over time due to rarity? If so, I just picked up a parallel Lost Vape Therion DNA75 today for £70.
They don’t necessarily change a lot from each other. My therion is a dna75c squonk which was a later version I picked up for $100. The mods don’t often change that much between versions. There have been several different mods using that case for example.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My lost vape mirages aren't going to increase in value I'm afraid. They are... Hmmm. Rather battered and broken down but still producing a lovely vape.

I'm staying away from Lost Vape in the future not unless they do some sort of combo thing with the Geekvape Ages./Legend series.

Which would be totally cool @Geekvape_Official , you should inquire! LOL.

Anna

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I suspect they are produced in batches. The popularity of said batch model may dictate whether they will continue production or not. Every model has ceased production for some time prior to it’s new model release. The DNA 250 Triade to the Triade 250C as an example.

I also suspect (but no proof) they rely on OEM to produce those batches, and not just with the DNA board either. One of Jaybo’s videos showed a factory tour…only thing being made was the Orion, and that was limited to assembly and packaging, not manufacturing.

In the Drone thread, someone posted a “claimed” official quote from Lost Vape in regards to the delay on releasing the Drone. Apart from the change in materials, they did state they were focusing on the Orion production.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My lost vape mirages aren't going to increase in value I'm afraid. They are... Hmmm. Rather battered and broken down but still producing a lovely vape.

I'm staying away from Lost Vape in the future not unless they do some sort of combo thing with the Geekvape Ages./Legend series.

Which would be totally cool @Geekvape_Official , you should inquire! LOL.

Anna
I wouldn’t mind a DNA Legend. The geekvape electronics are serviceable but nothing to write home about. A lost vape with a milspec rating would do the job as well. That’s what bought geekvape their rep after all.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I don't think that's LV building a Legend. That's Geekvape getting into the DNA board market. LV goes for more upscale, smaller run production products (except for their change with the Orion in pod territory). They've done a few "mass market" things like the Lyra, but I don't think they have the distribution system, capital, or traction in the market to create a tough LV DNA mod and take on Geekvape. Either company would be offering a product more expensive than average in their market, LV for the added expense of a tough mil-spec body, and Geekvape for much more expensive internal electronics.

A Legend sells for what, $50? Now tack on another $40 for an Evolv board (it's less in bulk, not the retail $75, maybe even lower than $40) and the extra work on buttons, screen protection and all the good stuff. Your $50 Legend is now a $125-150 mod. Will the market be receptive in large enough volume for a company like Geekvape to think it worthwhile?

Reverse for LV. Will changing their basic box design to a high impact resistant, environmentally sealed box place them over the $150 price point (probably yes)? And the final item to add in. First, upcoming regs in the US to comply with, at the same time as tariffs drive consumer prices up by 15%, which neither Geekvape or LV (or other Chinese manufacturers of anything) are super prepared to absorb and underwrite, making those mods that much more expensive, even if approved for marketing in the US.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada

Sure. Barrett-Jackson just sold a 1987 Ford Tempo for $500,000.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I wouldn’t mind a DNA Legend. The geekvape electronics are serviceable but nothing to write home about. A lost vape with a milspec rating would do the job as well. That’s what bought geekvape their rep after all.
Mil spec is a term referring to military specific products. Vape mods have never been and very likely will never be mil spec. The aegis mods are submitted to a generic mil std test (which the pass/fail points can be set by the manufacturer, and the manufacturer can select from any of the 6 different tests making it a very subjective test) and geekvape does not disclose the test or parameters set, so that rating is practically useless. They also only rate the shockproof (or technically shock resistance) as mil std tested. If it were mil spec it would have to pass more rigorous testing, and be available to only military personnel. It is highly inaccurate to call them mil spec, and even geekvape doesn't list mil spec anywhere on their products. They just were submitted to mil std testing by the manufacturer with undisclosed details, parameters, and results, only claiming a pass.

Sorry for the rant, but coming from a military heavy family, this kind of misuse of these terms is quite annoying.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Mil spec is a term referring to military specific products. Vape mods have never been and very likely will never be mil spec. The aegis mods are submitted to a generic mil std test (which the pass/fail points can be set by the manufacturer, and the manufacturer can select from any of the 6 different tests making it a very subjective test) and geekvape does not disclose the test or parameters set, so that rating is practically useless. They also only rate the shockproof (or technically shock resistance) as mil std tested. If it were mil spec it would have to pass more rigorous testing, and be available to only military personnel. It is highly inaccurate to call them mil spec, and even geekvape doesn't list mil spec anywhere on their products. They just were submitted to mil std testing by the manufacturer with undisclosed details, parameters, and results, only claiming a pass.

Sorry for the rant, but coming from a military heavy family, this kind of misuse of these terms is quite annoying.

Agree

Google MIL STD 810G-516.6 which is what the Aegis is rated for and it is easy to see how subjective this test is. The standard is not a fixed test but one that allows a manufacture to tailor testing methods. There are 8 different tests for the MIL STD 810G-516.6 spec, but the manufacture is not obligated to test for all 8 – they can choose one, or any sequence of tests. And to receive this rating, one just needs to pass a min of 29 drops from 4 feet onto a plywood surface (on top of concrete) across 5 test subjects. That does not mean the Aegis is fragile, and easily broken from above 4 feet – but it is definitely does not comply with actual military standards.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Seen you complain about this before.
Ok. Let’s get technical

United States Military Standard - Wikipedia
Actual use by the military is not what is of interest, merely the reliability and TCO aspects of the DOD created standards system, simply because it’s one of the toughest (but not always THE toughest in a given situation) ones in general use in the United States. This goes to the definition of a standards specification
Specification (technical standard) - Wikipedia
There are many “specs”. There are companies like UL whose only function is to create specs. Those are generally associated with product safety, because that is what UL is concerned with. Some of the standards specifications in the US mil-spec system are commonly of interest when looking at reliability and TCO. Besides they’re government standards so we already paid for their creation, and as such they’re commonly available.
There are many many different “specs” used by many branches of the military for many different products. They have a number system to differentiate them. Many products that are never issued, used, or intended for use by any of the various US military branches are built to pass these tests. Why? Because they are a convenient government created standards system. Many civilian products use various mil-spec tests to prove ruggedness or fit-for-purpose capacity in their products. It’s endemic in various outdoor sports industries. Particularly for example with rock climbing gear. Mil-spec does not even imply military issue. It’s so commonly used that a law was passed saying that the military should buy commercial products that passed the testing rather than design and commission their own. That’s how all those Ford f150s got into military service. They weren’t a common model. A regular Ford F-150 doesn’t have a mil-spec certification.
Then don’t do it. What it sounds like your saying is something similar to “how dare you use the word “volts” I am a descendant of Mr. Volta and you’re not even Italian”

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Agree

Google MIL STD 810G-516.6 which is what the Aegis is rated for and it is easy to see how subjective this test is. The standard is not a fixed test but one that allows a manufacture to tailor testing methods. There are 8 different tests for the MIL STD 810G-516.6 spec, but the manufacture is not obligated to test for all 8 – they can choose one, or any sequence of tests. And to receive this rating, one just needs to pass a min of 29 drops from 4 feet onto a plywood surface (on top of concrete) across 5 test subjects. That does not mean the Aegis is fragile, and easily broken from above 4 feet – but it is definitely does not comply with actual military standards.
The legend certainly doesn’t. It specifically failed one drop test due to its bottom latch system. The company stated as much. I don’t know whether the mini or the solo do or not. I personally doubt it. The ageis 100 did though. They don’t make it any more. Merely the act of having passed such a test in the past is enough to embue a brand with a certain mystique for reliability though. It says “our engineers know how to build products reliable enough to pass these tests”. I personally am somewhat unimpressed by this mystique. Geekvape no longer afaik actually makes a mil-spec certified device. They’ve shown they know how to do it though. I’d personally specifically like to see a device with a DNA board pass a mil-spec certification test. Not merely be made by a company that passed one once upon a time. I don’t know if it’s even possible. The DNA board itself may not be up to it. @Eskie points out such a device might be too expensive to be mass marketable. This could very well be true. It does not lessen my personal desire for the existence of such a thing though.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The legend certainly doesn’t. It specifically failed one drop test due to its bottom latch system. The company stated as much. I don’t know whether the mini or the solo do or not. I personally doubt it. The ageis 100 did though. They don’t make it any more. Merely the act of having passed such a test in the past is enough to embue a brand with a certain mystique for reliability though. It says “our engineers know how to build products reliable enough to pass these tests”. I personally am somewhat unimpressed by this mystique. Geekvape no longer afaik actually makes a mil-spec certified device. They’ve shown they know how to do it though. I’d personally specifically like to see a device with a DNA board pass a mil-spec certification test. Not merely be made by a company that passed one once upon a time. I don’t know if it’s even possible. The DNA board itself may not be up to it. @Eskie points out such a device might be too expensive to be mass marketable. This could very well be true. It does not lessen my personal desire for the existence of such a thing though.
Clearly you don't understand how this works. Not surprising at all really. Continue on with your ignorance, I heard somewhere it is quite blissful.

No need to reply, I'll never see it. You can join dripster on my ignore list.

• Creative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread