How to Fix Squid Industries Double-Barrel v3 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostbladder

Jul 3, 2020
Screen not turning on? Inconsistent firing? Not powering on and/or inconsistent power?

This is how I fixed mine and it may work on yours.

Disclaimer: Always attempt to contact Squid Industries warranty services first to see if they will replace it. You can find the email on their Instagram page. If that doesn't work, try what worked for me.

- Step 1: Remove batteries. Hold power button for 10 seconds.

- Step 2: Unscrew the 3 screws at the top. 2 are star-head and 1 is a very small Phillips head.

- Step 3: lightly push upwards on the fire button. If it will not come up, try reaching in the battery compartment and lightly pushing upwards with a finger or back end of a screwdriver.

- Step 4: Once the component is out, lightly separate the two halves by wiggling the pin connector out of the socket. Don't pull too hard. Don't want to rip out the wires which will stop from separating the two halves entirely.

- Step 5: Cleaning time. Dab off the majority of juice with a paper towel. Grab a soft toothbrush and a small cup with rubbing alcohol. Lightly brush the Alcohol over the visible surfaces. Wait until it dries. Repeat until it no longer seems oily after drying off (once or twice should do it).

- Step 6: Take a look at the red and black wire connected to the underside of the bit your tank/RDA screw into. Does the red wires rubber sleeve not cover either end of the wire? Can you see the metal wire? If you do, proceed to the next step.

- Step 7: See the black goop that is melted onto the underside covering the solder? Go ahead and carefully pull that off, as much as you can. Don't pull at the wire, just the black melted rubber goop that is over the solder.

- Step 8: Using your fingers or very lightly with a set of pliers or tweezers, stretch the red rubber sleeve over the exposed wire. Alternatively, if you are good with electrical tape, you can use that to cover up the exposed wire.

- Step 9: Grab an inch of electrical take and slap that over where the black goop was. Try to press it to the surface and wires as good as you can get it.

- Step 10: Make sure all the alcohol has dried and put it all back together. If you'd like, you can attempt to put a rubber band around the seam to prevent future juice from getting in (I didn't, but I thought of it afterwards).

If the juice was messing with it, it should work. If the power was shorting to ground, it should work. If it still does not work, contact Squid Industries and politely request to purchase a new chipset for $35 instead of buying a whole new vape.

lostbladder

Jul 3, 2020
I don't suppose you documented the process with photos did you?

Unfortunately, I did not. It was a very in-the-moment thing. I thought about going back and taking pictures when making this post, but once I got it working again, I was hesitant to go opening it back up again. Are you having the same issue I had?

If you are having the same issue and have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to fill in where I can.

Alternatively, later today I can try to update this post with pictures of what I'm talking about or with a video explaining what I did with the mod opened up again.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I have quite a few of these and for the most part have not experienced problems. The leak intrusions were a greater issue with the v2's. Squid generously repaired my fav v2 free some time ago.

Since I've had several v3's with the described unpredictable behaviors. Always and likely due to minute inadvertent RDA seeps. Disappointing as the Squid's are probably my fav most used form factor. The v3 has a better seal to the chip apparently but the switch/entry is a liability despite its ruggedness. No doubt juice penetration occurs there now with this report.

So @lostbladder thanks for your post and effort. We'll try and it give it a stab. Let you all know if I do and how I made out.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Looks like I may well be in need of your working instructions @lostbladder, atomizer weepiness is a constant issue for me.
I have to say so far it has been awesome to use, the form factor and heft pleases me greatly. I was using a whole slew of noisy cricket V2s which share a similarly pleasing form factor, then I got sick of replacing them when they broke, which was frequently.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Looks like I may well be in need of your working instructions @lostbladder, atomizer weepiness is a constant issue for me.
I have to say so far it has been awesome to use, the form factor and heft pleases me greatly. I was using a whole slew of noisy cricket V2s which share a similarly pleasing form factor, then I got sick of replacing them when they broke, which was frequently.

Ironically, I've not had one fail on me yet…they're the high-power beaters round these parts.

Sick that RoC just stopped producing well loved winners like the Cricket II and original Cuboid 150/200. It's kind'a like dumping the Corvette after the first million. Some form factors are simply icons for their own unique vision. Mind boggling what we call commerce today.

No matter, I've had a dream for some time that we can do it better.…and should.

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread