About fuses and choosing the appropriate fuse for your mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Rabbit Hole
so im double checking, if i use a single 18650 with a dna 40, i dont need a fuse. if im using dual 18650 i would need fuses?

On this page mamu mention about single and parallel 18650 fuse, check post #43 and #50
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ses-choosing-appropriate-fuse-your-mod-5.html

Edit: Update from mikepetro post about fuses
I have seen lots of people report getting "Weak Battery" messages.

Here is something that came across the beta Forum:

Board reads weak battery with fully charged batteries
its the preheat I think, it constantly puts the fuses in high hold but not quite trip at first. Over time the fuses weaken and hit trip faster and that is when you see a fresh battery read week after a couple of pulls.
it doesn't seem to manifest right away and only for the higher wattage users,

Many folks still have a bunch of the 7A fuses left over from DNA30 projects, and essentially we are under-rating our fuses if we only use 2 of them in the DNA40. The DNA40 can pull a max of 16A. If you use two 7A fuses, as we did with the DNA30, then you are right on the verge of the trip point during preheat. Over time, the fuses get a little weaker and start partially tripping (ie high resistance without fully tripping), and the "Weak Battery" messages start happening.

From Mamu:
The Littelfuse 4.5A smd fuse 2x on each batt works - 9A on each batt for a total of 18A with dual parallel batt configuration.

From Bap:
Need to double up the fuses. I'm now running 2 on each battery, 4 total.

(He is talking about the 7A ones.)

The moral of all of this is to be sure you fuse to least a total of 16A........

Last edited:

NaCl_H2O

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
So, all of the posts above seem a bit confusing?

In an earlier post Mamu stated 1x 7A LittleFuse (2920L700SLPR) on each batt of a dual/parallel 18650 DNA40 mod. But that only provides 14A ihold, which I believe is stated as nor sufficient in a later post due to the pre-heat of the DNA40?

So, should I double these up on each battery (4 total), or switch to another fuse, or have I completely confused myself? :)

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
lol yes it is getting a bit confusing. :laugh:

I've been adding 1x 7A fuse on each batt with dual parallel batts (14A total Ihold, 28A total Itrip). I personally have had no issues, but I'm running the DNA40 at 400F at 25W.

For those running higher watts, higher temps, and max preheat amps (16A), each time the preheat amps exceeds the total Ihold (14A) of the fuses, the fuses are put in a pre-trip state which results in the fuses heating up with subsequent increased resistance. With repeated exceeding of the Ihold current, the fuses' resistance never returns back to normal and remains high. The increased resistance interferes with the DNA40 reading the input voltage which then displays Weak Battery and won't fire the atty - even with fully charged or nearly fully charged batts.

To prevent this, use 2x 7A fuses on each batt with dual parallel batts. Which is what I'm doing with my current DNA40 build. I would HATE to have to redo my mod if I start getting this issue, so best to take care of it now and not have to deal with it later lol.

Ideally, we would use fuses with 16A total Ihold for the DNA40. I have other smd fuses on order to test, but for now I'm using the 7A fuses as they are the only ones I currently have that provide reverse polarity protection for shorting of the batts if one should be inserted backwards. I re-checked the 4.5A smd fuses and they are no go for reverse polarity protection with using 2x 4.5A fuses per batt for dual parallel batts, only with using 2x 4.5A fuses for a single 18650 batt.

The primary purpose for using these fuses is for catastrophic batt failure and reverse polarity protection for shorting of the batts if one should be inserted backwards. Although total Ihold and total Itrip is on the high side, 2x 7A fuses per batt with dual parallel batts meets this purpose as well as not interfere with circuit resistance and the DNA40 working correctly.

And many thanks to bap for giving us the heads up for the weak battery message and isolating the most common cause - fuses with too low of an Ihold current when running high preheat amps.

Last edited:

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
thanks mamu for all the work you put in this for us.
I have a question ...in two 18650 in series...I noticed on your t10 build you are putting the fuses on the pos side.
so the two batts are protected . but one of the batteries to the center point which I call the balance point is not .
using a balance external charger. also not worried about reversed batteries.becouse they are staying in the mod .
building a mod now and plane to two parallel fuses in the neg leg . but now the other battery is not fused either to the balance port!
where would you put the fuses so both batteries are protected in series and also to the balancing port ?
plane on using two sets of 3 amp fuses

polarbare

Oct 10, 2014
Texas
lol yes it is getting a bit confusing. :laugh:

I've been adding 1x 7A fuse on each batt with dual parallel batts (14A total Ihold, 28A total Itrip). I personally have had no issues, but I'm running the DNA40 at 400F at 25W.

For those running higher watts, higher temps, and max preheat amps (16A), each time the preheat amps exceeds the total Ihold (14A) of the fuses, the fuses are put in a pre-trip state which results in the fuses heating up with subsequent increased resistance. With repeated exceeding of the Ihold current, the fuses' resistance never returns back to normal and remains high. The increased resistance interferes with the DNA40 reading the input voltage which then displays Weak Battery and won't fire the atty - even with fully charged or nearly fully charged batts.

To prevent this, use 2x 7A fuses on each batt with dual parallel batts. Which is what I'm doing with my current DNA40 build. I would HATE to have to redo my mod if I start getting this issue, so best to take care of it now and not have to deal with it later lol.

Ideally, we would use fuses with 16A total Ihold for the DNA40. I have other smd fuses on order to test, but for now I'm using the 7A fuses as they are the only ones I currently have that provide reverse polarity protection for shorting of the batts if one should be inserted backwards. I re-checked the 4.5A smd fuses and they are no go for reverse polarity protection with using 2x 4.5A fuses per batt for dual parallel batts, only with using 2x 4.5A fuses for a single 18650 batt.

The primary purpose for using these fuses is for catastrophic batt failure and reverse polarity protection for shorting of the batts if one should be inserted backwards. Although total Ihold and total Itrip is on the high side, 2x 7A fuses per batt with dual parallel batts meets this purpose as well as not interfere with circuit resistance and the DNA40 working correctly.

And many thanks to bap for giving us the heads up for the weak battery message and isolating the most common cause - fuses with too low of an Ihold current when running high preheat amps.

Any further testing been done with fuses for a dual battery DNA40? I'm using samsung 25R batteries and am wondering if the 28 amp trip is a bit too high.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
28A is not trip, it is hold if using 4x fuses (2x on each batt).

The goal is to protect the batts from reverse polarity damage from the huge current dump from shorting the batt if one is inserted backwards as well as not interfere with the current requirement of the DNA40. Littelfuse 2x 7A fuses per batt give the best protection/least interference for this. I've not found any other fuses that provide this protection, so the only alternative is to use a P-FET per batt.

I was mistaken on the max preheat of 16A. The DNA40 has a capable max input continuous current of 16A, a capable max output continuous current of 16A and a max output preheat burst of 23A.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Yes, I've used those fuses - not with the DNA yet though, only with my unregulated MOSFET coil build/test mods. Easy to work with, easy to solder. I need to test to see if it will also provide reverse polarity protection for shorting of the batts with the DNA with dual parallel batts, haven't gotten around to it yet.

NaCl_H2O

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Yes, I've used those fuses - not with the DNA yet though, only with my unregulated MOSFET coil build/test mods. Easy to work with, easy to solder. I need to test to see if it will also provide reverse polarity protection for shorting of the batts with the DNA with dual parallel batts, haven't gotten around to it yet.

I would say yes to the reverse polarity! I used these in my Box Mod and in my haste to see it work the first time I put one battery in upside down :( Flipped it over and it fired just fine :)

NaCl_H2O

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I would say yes to the reverse polarity! I used these in my Box Mod and in my haste to see it work the first time I put one battery in upside down :( Flipped it over and it fired just fine :)

Hmmm, strike that - I think one of my fuses may have lost it's special smoke? I hate tearing into things that are already "done" :(

mamu - any suggestion for a fuse on an unregulated dual/parallel 18650 for rev polarity & catastrophic failure?
Anything smaller than a square inch!!!! :(

NaCl_H2O

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
well that sucks, NaCl. No, haven't delved into fuses more than just these for unreg. mods.

You have to be careful when you apply solder to this fuse though. I've read that too much heat during soldering and it fries the fuse and you may not know that until you need it to kick in and it doesn't.

Its very possible I over heated when soldering, had some difficulty with one of them. If overheated, can they fry "Open/tripped"?

NaCl_H2O

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Hi Mamu,

Have you seen the new fuse design...........http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_DS_DS28403_A-109895.pdf

I'd like to see your thought's on this.................Thanks

An update on these fuses. I am assuming the original failure I had was due to overheating while soldering. I have now soldered about 8 in place without a failure. As you apply the solder you can actually hear the fuse "click" (It is faint, but audible if things are quiet) and I use that as an indication I cannot linger with the iron much longer and back off as quickly as possible. Still, I have kept applying the iron a few more seconds after the click without any more failures. After you are done soldering, the fuse will be "Open" due to the heat, but after 10 seconds or so (A little water bath helps too!) it will "Click" again and works just fine.

Also, I installed two on a dual battery sled and tested for reverse polarity protection. Inserted one battery upside down and then connected the negative tabs of the sled - almost immediately "Click" and resistance through the fuse jumped very high - remove the connection from the negative tabs and another "Click". Even had instances when both fuses would open. Also left the batteries in this state for a longer period (60+ seconds) and they returned to normal operation.

That's my experience with them anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread