Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
As VictorViper pointed out, you need to read, a lot. Learn about Ohm's Law and battery safety. Get an ohm meter or a mod that measures resistance and use it. Use something like Steam Engine to help you figure out a safe starting point.

To directly address your questions:

1) There is no "best" resistance wire - rather: which wire is best suited to my application?

The most commonly used for straight wattage or voltage vaping is Kanthal, which I'm going to say most folks start out with. It is very commonly used in premade coils and a good place to start. The drawback is that you cannot use temperature control with Kanthal. For temperature control you will need to use nickel, stainless steel, or titanium. Another option (for non-temp control) is nichrome, which has a lower resistance than Kanthal and (with all other variables being equal) will heat faster than Kanthal.

2) Coil resistance is determined by the wire material and gauge, coil diameter, and the number of wraps in your coils - again, this is where Steam Engine comes into play. You can enter your target resistance, coil diameter, and wire material and gauge, and Steam Engine will tell you how many wraps you need to achieve your desired coil resistance.

Your Smok V8 uses a 3000mAh battery capable of delivering 20a of continuous power safely, and can drive the Big Baby Beast (or any other atomizer) down to 0.15-ohms. The good thing is that if you happen to go lower, the mod will not fire.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think kanthal is the easiest wire to start with unless you want to use TC in which case you could try that. It's less "springy" somehow. As far as gauges of wire, you can play around with steam engine and figure out what might be the best wire for you, depending on your target resistance. I can't really suggest any builds other than sometimes starting with a single coil and a contact coil can be easiest, to start with. I'd think about starting there first to get a feel for what resistances work for you and which don't.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread