Status
Not open for further replies.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Why not buy an Icon.... Do you have a problem with US made goods?

Not at all. I have a MVS and RS from madvapes, 3 different SaberTouch and a Phidias. I'm just surprised the Chinese didn't make a very simple design that is even cheaper to manufacture solution vs. the only offerings pretty much all being identical in design.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I'm just surprised the Chinese didn't make a very simple design that is even cheaper to manufacture solution vs. the only offerings pretty much all being identical in design.

I'm glad they don't... but they'll catch on eventually. They are nearly there with the Indulgence and the DSE 905. The 905 is still more complex than it needs to be, but at least it takes a standard battery.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Not at all. I have a MVS and RS from madvapes, 3 different SaberTouch and a Phidias. I'm just surprised the Chinese didn't make a very simple design that is even cheaper to manufacture solution vs. the only offerings pretty much all being identical in design.
I don't exactly understand what your are saying. The Chinese (or is it Janty) when they came up with the eGo changed the whole game. We now ended up with a rather small e-cig whose 650mAh battery seemed to last many vapers 6+ hours, some into the next day. It also seemed to hit better than a normal Joye 510 e-cig using the same atty and at the same time the vape seemed very consistent during it's entire charge. A bulkier mod equipped with a 900mAh 14500 Li-ion cannot say the same. It doesn't vape for nearly as long, nor does it provide the same consistent vape.

The eGo has brought many of the old time mod users back into the commercial Chinese e-cig fold.

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
Why not buy an Icon.... Do you have a problem with US made goods?

Sorry to .... in, but this thread has been tremendously helpful to me. My husband and I are ready to move beyond our eGo and venture into MODs. Zen, what is an "Icon" and who sells them? And what are the best reasons, IYO, to use a MOD versus an eGo type battery. I see you mentioned longer battery life. Are there other reasons? More vapor? Higher quality equipment? Your thoughts...

jctennis

ECF Veteran
Sorry to .... in, but this thread has been tremendously helpful to me. My husband and I are ready to move beyond our eGo and venture into MODs. Zen, what is an "Icon" and who sells them? And what are the best reasons, IYO, to use a MOD versus an eGo type battery. I see you mentioned longer battery life. Are there other reasons? More vapor? Higher quality equipment? Your thoughts...
Not to jump on a question for Zen, but IMHO Mods came about mostly for the ability to use common batteries (well sort of common anway... you still won't be picking them up at the drugstore) and offer longer battery life. At this point they have come to represent a type of "hyper engineering" you just don't see with stock chinese batteries. Most mods are built like tanks, and are not meant to be disposable. The other reason to use them is the ever growing set of extra feature you find on many models like a tank for feeding the juice to your atty, higher or variable voltages, or simply custom looks.
The initial price on a mod and a good set of batteries will pay for itself over time. A quality mod will outlast a disposable stock battery unit by far, but honestly it just comes down to personal preference.

ETA: Oh yeah, the icon is from puresmoker.com It uses an unprotected battery though. I don't think there is any protection circuitry inside the unit either. I always say when it comes to batteries, use your head or lose your head.

Last edited:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I never realized the Icon doesn't take protected batteries... I have a Protoge' (the model that came before the Icon) and it fits protected batteries just fine... that is really odd of them to not make the Icon protected compatible... I'm shocked actually! I think I'll never suggest the Icon again! I vape at 5 Volts pretty much exclusively now, so the Icon hasn't actually been on my Radar.

ANYWHOOO... To answer sallizoo ... I think that jctennis summed things up pretty well, but I would like to add a few points.

The term MOD came from "modified", and initially the first MODs in the e-cig world were battery boxes and other common devices that were modified to be used as power supplies for e-cigs... from the onset it was pretty obvious that a standard e-cig power supply such as those found on your more common 510s, 901s, 808s, etc. were pretty inadequate for "all day" use... it's just not possible to mafe a 180 mah (or smaller) battery last very long driving an atty or cartomizer... atty/cartos look pretty much like a dead short to a battery, and they discharge pretty fast. The craft of "modding" came about to be able to vape longer with fewer battery changes.

In the simplest form, a mod is a battery box or tube with a switch... nothing more. Most don't even have LED indicators on them. Recently, we've seen things move up a bit into slightly higher tech. Regulated 5V mods, variable volt, and even step-up circuits are becoming more and more common these days. Microprocessor controlled Pulse Width Modulated supplies have come on to the scene as well. Some offer improved battery life while others provide more stable and predictable vaping experiences... some do both.

Which mod is for you? Well that all depends!

Analog smokers fit into a variety of classes, and so do vapers... When I smoked analogs I often used a 90 dollar Colibri Lighter, My friend used a Zippo, and many folks use the good old Bic disposible... some even purchased knock-offs of the disposible to save even more money! Some folks still use matches... there are all kinds of people.... and every method will get that nasty cigarette to burn... Some folks whear Rolex Watches... some Timex... Some put on heirs and wear the fake Rolex... The hardware a person uses often says a LOT about the person... and it is important to realize that Mods can be viewed in much the same way. Often times spending more on a Mod will NOT deliver improved performance over a lesser priced model...

If you're looking for a mod that will outperform the eGo, I have to ask about what improvements are you seeking? Longer Battery Life between charges? More Vapor? Hotter Vapor? Improved Flavor?

If you're seeking nothing more than longer battery life... get one that holds the biggest batteries you can get your hands on! If you would like more vapor, think about a elevated voltage mod... these don't have to be expensive... One of my red rockets that I make I sell to friends for 70 bucks and it's a 5V dual 14500 (protected) tube that will vape for hours on end, and holds steady at 5 V for most of that time... there are many others on the market that perform in much the same way... it's a battery tube with a switch and a regulator... Anybody with skills can make one, and the evidence is the proliferation of these devices in the market...

If you want to dial it in for the best flavor... think about a variable voltage device. There lots of those around too, for about 20-25% more than the fixed voltage variants.

Box mods are easy to build or cheap to buy... and there are all sorts of variants there... I think the best thing you could do is to make yourself a wish list of what you want your new mod to do, then look for the range of devices out there that will fit those needs. You don't need to spend a fortune, but there certainly are some snazzy higher priced mods out there that command a fair amount of respect in the status department, and they do a bang up job of making vapor, and that's what it's all about.

When you step away from the commercially made products and into the modders world, I feel the way you look at vaping will change as well. You'll be out of the realm of "e-cig" and into the world of vaping. The thoughts of having a device that resembles a cigarette will be a glimmer of a memory, and you'll probably do a lot more explaining what it is that you're doing with that box or pipe hanging out of your mouth... it's not for the shy in public... but I always say we should VAPE PROUD... don't worry about the sheeple...

This has again gotten way off the topic of the OP, so sorry about that hoogie... and if you wish to speak in PM, or exchange emails, I welcome that.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
That's a beautiful writeup Zen!

But I do need to make a correction regarding your first paragraph. The Icon does accept AW14500 protected battery. All one needs to do is remove one or two washers from the bottom switch screw.

Btw, I wish every new ecig user or vaper would have a chance to read your post. What a great quick 101 on vaping!

salliezoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
(Big Island) Hawaii
Thank you JC, Zen, and Vapor...and deepest apologies for getting the thread off track. Must say I learned more on this thread than I have anywhere else to date (and I read everything). I started out wanting to know more about the Boge LR versus a regular Boge carto (which I did, thank you)...but the rest of the info here is also equally helpful.

I think my husband and would probably fall into the "best flavor" category...and I admit to preferring "fancy" toys. I used a Dunhill lighter for my analogs (a step up from my husband's bics...though his were always more reliable LOL). So looks, quality, and reliability are high on our "wishlist" too. We really have enough vapor and battery life from our eGOs to suit our needs, so not a biggie. So the "variable voltage device" sounds intriguing. And we are long past needing an ecig that looks like an analog. That ended the first week. Show boating is right up our alley...no problem dealing with gawkers. The only other thing I thought looked interesting was the GG telescope, mostly because of the "tank" idea instead of cartomizers, but also because of the option to use different size batteries in one device.

But I'm definitely going down another thread path here so I will stop at this point. Zen, I may take you up on the offer to PM you to ask you a few more questions. Thanks again to all here for the info from LRs to MODS. Much appreciated.

fizil

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Norcross, Ga
www.ivape.net
holy taleedo.....lots of info to absorb! Thanks guys for spelling it out. One of the things I haven't liked is how ecigs are all over the place with how they describe stuff for laymen. Even though i don't understand how to find things like C values nor have a solid grasp of them. It's nice to have another rating to be able to consider.

I guess ecigs are a bit like digital cameras where there's some sort of myth like more megapixels are better while there's actually a quality rating out there. The manufacturers decided that it's too confusing to release that info, but i think they're too embarrassed to let consumers have all the information upfront to make an informed decision.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
holy taleedo.....lots of info to absorb! Thanks guys for spelling it out. One of the things I haven't liked is how ecigs are all over the place with how they describe stuff for laymen. Even though i don't understand how to find things like C values nor have a solid grasp of them. It's nice to have another rating to be able to consider.

I guess ecigs are a bit like digital cameras where there's some sort of myth like more megapixels are better while there's actually a quality rating out there. The manufacturers decided that it's too confusing to release that info, but i think they're too embarrassed to let consumers have all the information upfront to make an informed decision.

lol no problem ... a lot of places don't actually publish or include the C rating on their specs.. you pretty much have to ask or do the math...

as far as having a solid grasp of the C rating you can use it for a couple of things...
first helping determine what the max drain rate of the battery is..
by taking the mAh (in Amps) and multiplying by the C rate... at the same time dividing 60 min by the C rate...
lets take an AW 2600mAh 18650 battery for example...

2.6A * 2C = 5.2A and 60/2= 30min
so that battery is capable of delivering 2.6A (2600mA) in an hour (60min)
or
5.2A (5600mA) in 30min
or
anywhere in between...

additionally if you know your amp draw (and your battery's max drain rate is higher than the amp draw) ....you can kinda work that problem backward to get a pretty decent guestimate at how long your battery is going to last
lets say I'm using a 1.5Ω atty on that AW battery..
I know that that has an amp draw of 2.47A...
so I divide my amp draw by the mAh rating to get the C rate that my battery is discharging at..
2470mA / 2600mAh = .95C
then divide 60min by that and it'll give me how many minutes it'd last if I held the button continuous
60min / .95C = 63min or 3789 seconds
I take 3 second long hits with a LR atty so I divide that number by the average length of my hit and I know that I'll get about 1263 button presses out of that battery (that's about 21 hours if I take one drag every minute)

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
A little off topic, but mod builders should realize that even with a mosfet, a cheap switch is not built for that much 'action'.

add on to that ....that's per charge....figuring a cycle life of 500 charges.... that's about 600,000 button presses out of the life of that battery..... most people I know switch between at least 2 batteries and that'd take us over a million button presses in the cycle life of 2 batteries... yeah alot of switches arent built for that

Luvs5rugrats

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
The Lowcountry
So...WHY is this thread waaaay down here in the Madvapes suppliers forum and not a big, giant sticky thread in the atomizer or battery issues forum? or is there and i just haven't found it yet? Why is it that I don't seem to find important information until its too late? LOL I've been wanting to try a LR atomizer for a while now due to great posts I've read about them, so I got one because one came with my Riva. So now that I'm addicted to the stupid thing, it's bad for my bigger batteries and I shouldn't use it? I just ordered two more and a pack of 5 LR cartomizers because I love it so much. After using it and getting all giddy and excited, I stuck one of the standard atties that came with it on and quickly switched back because, contrary to what I have read in this thread, it DID make a difference to me, in every way and finally satisfied what I was looking for.

Man, I can't afford to be replacing batteries but I can't seem to find my all-day, every day vape satisfaction with anything else I've tried. There's always been something missing. Not enough "oompf" or something. If I had read this thread, I probably would have bought some kind of mod somewhere and now I'm broke. No, I can't solder. I shall *very reluctantly* remove my LR and see if I can send my order back for an exchange when it comes. *sniff* Man, this sucks.

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
So...WHY is this thread waaaay down here in the Madvapes suppliers forum and not a big, giant sticky thread in the atomizer or battery issues forum? or is there and i just haven't found it yet? Why is it that I don't seem to find important information until its too late? LOL I've been wanting to try a LR atomizer for a while now due to great posts I've read about them, so I got one because one came with my Riva. So now that I'm addicted to the stupid thing, it's bad for my bigger batteries and I shouldn't use it? I just ordered two more and a pack of 5 LR cartomizers because I love it so much. After using it and getting all giddy and excited, I stuck one of the standard atties that came with it on and quickly switched back because, contrary to what I have read in this thread, it DID make a difference to me, in every way and finally satisfied what I was looking for.

Man, I can't afford to be replacing batteries but I can't seem to find my all-day, every day vape satisfaction with anything else I've tried. There's always been something missing. Not enough "oompf" or something. If I had read this thread, I probably would have bought some kind of mod somewhere and now I'm broke. No, I can't solder. I shall *very reluctantly* remove my LR and see if I can send my order back for an exchange when it comes. *sniff* Man, this sucks.

Amen! I think a lot of people post in areas they know people rather than where the topic should go.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY

What do you mean by "bigger battery"? The issue is with higher voltage. Not a bigger battery.

Luvs5rugrats

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
The Lowcountry
My eGo and Riva. I'm not a electronics tech and I don't really want to learn the language. :) By "bigger", I mean not my standard "little" 510. That's all I know. I don't know volts, ohms, mahs... and I don't have any fancy thing, I just have a standard 510 battery, an eGo and 2 Riva batteries. or whatever you want to call them. The little pamphlet that came with my Riva says, "The Input voltage of the USB battery charger is 5v, 500mah and the output voltage is 4.2x420mah." Then it says on the next page: "The HELLO-Riva is powered by a 3.7v-750mah special power supply."

That's about all it says about that. By reading this thread, I am assuming I should NOT use a LR atomizer with either my eGo, which is a 3.7v 650mah battery nor the Riva, without either shortening the life significantly or killing the battery altogether. Yes? No? Maybe?

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Statistics say no. The quest for the ultimate vaping experience screams yes! While you generally may have good experiences with low resistance just realize the increased chance for failure. That's all. The problem with "e-cigs" is people get too attached to their devices. Most likely due to the joy and pleasure they bring to them. If you live in reality and can accept the fact that these devices are not fail-proof nor do they last forever you'll ultimately end up a much happier vaper. My suggestion? Vape what you like. If you've been enjoying those LR atomizers with your equipment without any issues then keep at it. Just don't get too upset about it if it does expire prematurely. Save the sadness for something more important. Besides, a dead "e-cig" = chance to try something new.

One additional point that many people don't seem to realize;
There are "High" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near 3.7 ohm or above]
"Normal" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near 3.2 ohm]
"Medium" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near 2.5 ohm]
"Low" resistance Atomizers/Cartomizers [near or under 2.0 ohm]

I use cartomizers and atomizers in the 2.0 - 2.5 ohm range on my 3.7v devices and "Normal" cartomizers on my 5v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread