About palm oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Nothing wrong with it, and it's a much safer alternative vs using soy based VG, which many people have mild and even severe allergies to (soy based products) I believe it's more of a cost issue (and deforestation) which turns most manufacturers to soy and coconut based VG.

In the long run, say 8-10 years or so, I'm not so sure as there still isn't conclusive evidence.

Reactions: Baran7

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Just remember, you're not vaping the oil, you're vaping the vegetable glycerin that is separated from the oil via saponification:
IIRC, vegetable glycerin is commonly derived from vegetable oil. You know how in Fight Club, they make soap from human fat and lye? Replace the human fat with vegetable fat, and that’s how vegetable glycerin is made. If animal fat is used, it’s just called glycerin (or glycerol). Vegetable oil is essentially glycerin plus salts in solution. When an alkaline or catalyst is added to the solution, it separates the salts from the fats. The salts become soap, and the fats become glycerin. Then, there's a seperate process to recover the glycerin.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Just remember, you're not vaping the oil, you're vaping the vegetable glycerin that is separated from the oil via saponification:
IIRC, vegetable glycerin is commonly derived from vegetable oil. You know how in Fight Club, they make soap from human fat and lye? Replace the human fat with vegetable fat, and that’s how vegetable glycerin is made. If animal fat is used, it’s just called glycerin (or glycerol). Vegetable oil is essentially glycerin plus salts in solution. When an alkaline (typically lye) is added to the solution, it separates the salts from the fats. The salts become soap, and the fats become glycerin.

Ah, you do know you're not supposed to talk about fight club, right?

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
What about olive oil?

NO, vaping oils of any kind including those in flavoring concentrates, just NO.

Some folks may not be aware that in a few country's they do add palm oil back into into VG extracted from palm, as an extender/way to increase volume cheap.
Usually not labeled as such, sometimes it will say 3% - 10% palm oil on label.

USP VG or EU equivalent is fine for vaping.

Baran7

Jan 31, 2017
Turkey
In Turkey, vaping products are banned. So there isn't any safe info about what we vape. Sellers are selling the e juices that made by hand (We think so). There is very little VG brand. And they don't say 'We do it for vaping' . It is very risky but we don't have any other options. A seller says We use Vg which is obtained from Olive oil , not Palm oil. Is it safer?

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
DO NOT VAPE OIL.

It can cause pulmonary edema which is fatal if left untreated. Vegetable glycerine is produced from vegetable oil, and as long as it does not state that there is oil added to the VG to increase volume, it is safe. (better to not throw caution to the wind and buy pure organic VG)

Baran7

Jan 31, 2017
Turkey
DO NOT VAPE OIL.

It can cause pulmonary edema which is fatal if left untreated. Vegetable glycerine is produced from vegetable oil, and as long as it does not state that there is oil added to the VG to increase volume, it is safe. (better to not throw caution to the wind and buy pure organic VG)
I'm saying that, VG which is obtained from Olive oil is safer than VG which is obtained from Palm oil or not?

Baran7

Jan 31, 2017
Turkey
In Turkey, vaping products are banned. So there isn't any safe info about what we vape. Sellers are selling the e juices that made by hand (We think so). There is very little VG brand. And they don't say 'We do it for vaping' . It is very risky but we don't have any other options. A seller says We use Vg which is obtained from Olive oil , not Palm oil. Is it safer than Palm oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread