About ready to give up... need veteran intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leleegrrl

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast USA
Hi... :matrix: this may look long at first glance, but I tried to organize it so that it's a quick and easy read. I hope I succeeded!

• I learned about ecigs and tried a little 21st Century gas-station model in September 2012. Was able to put down the cigarettes instantly.
  • Within a couple of months, I was trying different clearomizers and had ego batteries and then VV batteries.
  • Worked my way down to 0 mg nicotine... was awesome!
  • Felt like I had never smoked a day in my life. Lungs were clear and clean.:banana:

Then... had some drama :shock: and bought some cigarettes at a weak moment at Christmastime in 2015. Got hooked again and ended up putting the vaping aside til recently.

I geared up with a couple of new tanks last month, bought some coils, some new juice, etc... ready to quit again. I even bought the 21st Century kit again, since that is how I successfully quit last time.

I put the nasty analogs down on Wednesday of last week (1/04/17) and have done fine... it's a little tougher this time, but I haven't smoked. I am using my tanks with flavored juice most of the time, and using the 21st Century ecig when I have a big craving (since it's more like an analog).

Despite the fact that I have been able to stay smoke-free for over a week, I feel like the situation with vaping is a total nightmare. It has changed a lot from 2-3 years ago, and I am completely overwhelmed by the veritable ocean of new stuff and info.

:glug:

I never really found that perfect vape for me, and I think that's why I ended up relapsing in the first place.

I don't have any friends who vape (yet), so I was hoping that if I give some info on what I like/don't like, you vaping vets could point me in the right direction, give some suggestions, whatever.

I realize that vaping is a truly subjective experience
, but if you could just share information that you believe lends itself to a quality vaping experience, I won't hold you responsible for anything that I end up not liking! :D

I cannot be an expert on vaping right now.. I just want to enjoy my vape so I don't go back to killing myself with analogs.

If I had time, I would love to learn all there is to know, plus learn to build mods and make my own juice, etc. But I home-school my two kids and that just leaves me no time at all for the finer points of vape-ology.

What I'm using now:
  • Two Ego-Style VV Batteries (Tesla Spiders)
  • One Old Kanger Protank 2
  • Two New Kanger Mini Protank 3's (I just bought these last month)
  • Plethora of juices -- some 50/50, some 65 PG/35 VG
  • Most of my juices are from MBV, which has always been my favorite. I also have a SourVape I bought last month (not all that sour even after a month of steeping), and a couple of new juices from VapeWild that are okay. Everything would probably taste amazing if I had the right setup.
  • With all coils, I have been using my VV batts at lowest setting (3.4), because I'm afraid if I try different settings I'll burn more coils and juice.
  • I also found an old Kanger Evod and quickly remembered why I never used it... it's like sucking on a straw stuck in a milkshake that's way too thick. I get hardly anything out of it. It does say it's "rebuildable", so if any info or links on how to fix that -- would greatly appreciate it.
What I like:
  • I don't care about the clouds -- they're fun, and I'll take them if I can get them, but clouds are not a deal breaker.
  • I only care about the flavor. I want clear, clean, uncooked, unburnt, full-strength, strong, juicy flavor. With clouds if possible. :thumbs: Is this a glittery-rainbow-unicorn-fantasy that will never happen? Am I being naive?
  • My favorite flavors are candy-cane (sometimes mixed with menthol), cherry limeade, and other sweet but sour fruity flavors.
  • It seems that I prefer a higher res/colder vape now that I've tried the 2.5 ohm.
Problems I'm having:
  • 1.8 ohms seemed to be burning my juices from the get-go on both batteries and both kinds of tanks.
  • I was told by a customer service rep that 1.0 ohms for my Mini Protank 3's would be best, because 1.8 ohms could "pop" on my VV battery if I had it anywhere above the lowest setting.
  • Tried the 1.0 ohms, and they seem to be burning worse than the 1.8's (yes, I prime coils for at least an hour, which some would consider paranoid, lol).
  • I read an article by a vape-store owner about his preferences in ohms and why... and it made sense to me to try a higher-resistance coil just to see if I like the colder vape better and wouldn't get that burnt taste... I bought 2.5 ohms for my Kanger Protank 2. It does seem better, because there has been no burnt flavor... but still I just know there is more flavor in this juice than what I'm getting with this tank.
  • Decided to try to find 2.5 or 2.8 coils for my Kanger Mini Protank 3's also, and they don't seem to exist. What's so different about the Protank 3 that we can't use higher res coils on them? So frustrating. The 1.0 ohms are frying like crazy. I bought ten and have burnt 6 coils (most on the first drag).
  • Even before, and certainly now -- I have never felt like I've had a vaping experience where I was getting the full-strength flavor of the juice. It's really annoying. Everything always seems just a little "off." Either too weak or too cooked. (Yes, I do steep juice for at least a couple of weeks before using.)

I hope some of you can offer some advice. I am willing to spend more for a quality vape, but can't afford over a hundred for a set-up... actually if I can do it for closer to $50 that would be so much better, lol.

If someone could just tell me how to get the most flavor out of the tanks I already have, that would be even better! :w00t:

Thanks for listening :blush::wub::blush::wub::blush::wub:

Lora

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
Good morning,
First and foremost, congratulations on the week without analogs.
I have never used the Protanks, I started out with the Nautilus mini. The reason was that it has adjustable airflow, the small,medium and large holes on the bottom, it allows you to change the tightness of the draw. Most of us went into vaping in search of a replacement to analogs so take heart, you'll get help. While I can not help you with your particular tank, check out this thread Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)
I believe there are several people there using Protanks.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
first thing i am going to suggest, is getting a new mod, and there is a reason behind this(i am a kanger fan, so most my suggestions will be kanger, but there are of course other options.):

get a new mod, one that is 50-75w with Temp control... there is a ton out there, i'm fond of my kanger kbox 75w minis and i know the TC works(if you want to buy one mod you can really grow with i'm in love with my SMOK alien 220, but it's a dual battery with TC and a bit more of a learning curve), but like i said there are many others that can be suggested.

you like a COOL vape(especially with a mint base), which is why i'm suggesting a TC mod, this will allow you to control the temp of the vape and keep it where you like it easier, and allow you to use easier to get coils. 2.5ohms is NOT common.

any coils that are SS/Ni/Ti for the wire are TC required(except SS you can use that in wattage mode or TC it's a fantastic wire), Ni coils are fairly common and i have seen them (i own several different types of kanger tanks) range as you know from .3 to 1.8 ohms more commonly.

i really would suggest from my own experience getting a kit like this... it can be used with a variety of Ni coils ranging from .5 to 1.8 ohms and the airflow is not like sucking a straw, it's made more for direct to lung inhalers, but my mouth to lung hubby uses his daily Kanger TOPBOX Mini Starter kit (Not Included battery) . the top fill is easy, it's what we started on and we have quit...

of course i got into even more fun stuff after this lmao.

leleegrrl

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast USA
Good morning,
First and foremost, congratulations on the week without analogs.
I have never used the Protanks, I started out with the Nautilus mini. The reason was that it has adjustable airflow, the small,medium and large holes on the bottom, it allows you to change the tightness of the draw. Most of us went into vaping in search of a replacement to analogs so take heart, you'll get help. While I can not help you with your particular tank, check out this thread Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)
I believe there are several people there using Protanks.

Thanks I will check that out Brewbear! :)

leleegrrl

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast USA
first thing i am going to suggest, is getting a new mod, and there is a reason behind this(i am a kanger fan, so most my suggestions will be kanger, but there are of course other options.):

get a new mod, one that is 50-75w with Temp control... there is a ton out there, i'm fond of my kanger kbox 75w minis and i know the TC works(if you want to buy one mod you can really grow with i'm in love with my SMOK alien 220, but it's a dual battery with TC and a bit more of a learning curve), but like i said there are many others that can be suggested.

you like a COOL vape(especially with a mint base), which is why i'm suggesting a TC mod, this will allow you to control the temp of the vape and keep it where you like it easier, and allow you to use easier to get coils. 2.5ohms is NOT common.

any coils that are SS/Ni/Ti for the wire are TC required(except SS you can use that in wattage mode or TC it's a fantastic wire), Ni coils are fairly common and i have seen them (i own several different types of kanger tanks) range as you know from .3 to 1.8 ohms more commonly.

i really would suggest from my own experience getting a kit like this... it can be used with a variety of Ni coils ranging from .5 to 1.8 ohms and the airflow is not like sucking a straw, it's made more for direct to lung inhalers, but my mouth to lung hubby uses his daily Kanger TOPBOX Mini Starter kit (Not Included battery) . the top fill is easy, it's what we started on and we have quit...

of course i got into even more fun stuff after this lmao.

Wow -- thank you so much... this is the kind of answer I was hoping for. I will make a list of suggestions and links for a couple of days and then assess my options. You have no idea how nice it feels to have someone understand what I'm asking and then break it down like that... (well maybe you DO have an idea, lol... we all started out somewhere.) So grateful that you took the time to answer, Cheallaigh. I vape mouth-to-lung like your hubby... I forgot to include that in my original post. :)

leleegrrl

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast USA
It is all subjective but for flavor I'd recommend an RTA such as a Kayfun Lite or a Taifun GT-T V2 and a mod you can grow into so you don't have to buy again soon. Maybe a Pico

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Cool... thanks Falco! I will check those out. I am definitely obsessed with getting more flavor. I'm making a list of all suggestions I get for the next day or so, then I'm going comparison-shopping, lol!

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
yep, i did a lot of research myself before i got into vaping... and i didn't find this place till months after i started. i was lucky, a friend of ours owns a series of shops and is an advocate, he set us up and made sure we understood before our first puff. without him, we'd still be smoking and afraid to try from all the BS horror stories the news likes to put out.

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
Since you like MTL vaping, may I suggest the Kayfun mini V3? You can Adjust the air draw, rebuilt the coils to any resistance you want. There is a plethora of mods out there, I personally like mods with removable batteries and most definitely TC. This one has been very good to me Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini 75W Express Kit $34.95 - Joyetech - Mods

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
I am hesitant to give my opinion. What worked for me may not work for you. While i am by no means a cloud chaser, i wasnt really comfortable in my own skin, so to speak, until i was getting big clouds. I tried to keep it small and sleek and for the longest time stayed away from dual 18650 mods. It just wasnt satisfying me, the battery would die too quickly and seemed anytime the battery got under 50% it just wouldnt taste good or be enjoyable. Another thing that helped me was moving on from premade coils at first i was cost driven, now still is but i can also make exactly what I want for myself. I have been direct lung vape since i started meaning i do not buffer the vape in my mouth prior to inhaling i just pull it straight in (completely opposite of the way i smoked analogs) I also DIY my own juice for various reasons, one reason you could be getting burned taste is due to the sweetener in the juice, it is common practice for vape shops to load up on sweeteners in their juices, excessively and completely unnecessairily. I love sweet fruity vape so it was killing my prebuilt drop in coils non stop. Currently i am using a Smok Cube with Griffin 25+ and i want for absolutely nothing. If you are looking for clouds and are ok spending money on coils, people rave about the TFV8 by Smok. I also find .4-.5 ohms to be my perfect range for cloud/warmth of vape/flavor. All things to consider but getting to where you look forward to vaping is key, when you try an analog and say wtf this is disgusting and instantly want to be vaping that is when you know you have it beat ( dont go testing yourself just because ) reduce any outside influence as much as possible.

Also the more time you spend on here discussing vaping, denouncing burning analogs, the more it acts as a support group/element to help you stay focused on your goal.

Dual battery mods are not difficult to get the hang of, getting used to TC right out the gate may make it a bit difficult but at the same time could be easier. Personally i like my power mode ~.5 ohm ~50 watts give or take a bit depending on the build/day and i am good. Dont get overwhelmed you are not chasing a fantasy it is more than realistic to get everything you want, and more. Should mention, i DIY juice ONCE every 3 MONTHS i take about 2 hours out of a weekend and make up enough juice to last me and my wife 3 months (3.2-4 Liters, we vape a lot) Coils/wicks if you are vaping low to zero sweeteners can last weeks so again would limit your need to fiddle constantly. I am not saying go out and do this right now get comfy keep it in mind that it is a lot easier than you fear it is, know there is better/more you can do/get until you are satisfied.

Good Luck hope my opinion helps in any manner

leleegrrl

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast USA
Since you like MTL vaping, may I suggest the Kayfun mini V3? You can Adjust the air draw, rebuilt the coils to any resistance you want. There is a plethora of mods out there, I personally like mods with removable batteries and most definitely TC. This one has been very good to me Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini 75W Express Kit $34.95 - Joyetech - Mods

Excellent, thank you! :) I'm starting to gather from just a few replies already that I need to be able to adjust the air draw. Is rebuilding coils very difficult or time-consuming? I don't have much time or patience for anything painstaking right now, but am willing to try.

Reactions: NU_FTW

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Nu covered why i bought the smok alien 220... i got it for the dual battery life... and like them i'm not an active cloud chaser, but they are satisfying lol.

that kanger kit you can buy coils, or use the rebuildable coil that comes with it... building once you get the hang of it, is not hard, i build my own... but it does require a few things for it beyond getting the wire. i support building, i just don't suggest kits where you can't just buy the coils you want, in case you don't want to build from the start.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Excellent, thank you! :) I'm starting to gather from just a few replies already that I need to be able to adjust the air draw. Is rebuilding coils very difficult or time-consuming? I don't have much time or patience for anything painstaking right now, but am willing to try.
Only as difficult as you make it. However, my brother in law never seemed to be able to get his coils built right and was always asking me. But! He did eventually learn and was able to find what worked for him without my help.

leleegrrl

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast USA
I am hesitant to give my opinion. What worked for me may not work for you. While i am by no means a cloud chaser, i wasnt really comfortable in my own skin, so to speak, until i was getting big clouds. I tried to keep it small and sleek and for the longest time stayed away from dual 18650 mods. It just wasnt satisfying me, the battery would die too quickly and seemed anytime the battery got under 50% it just wouldnt taste good or be enjoyable. Another thing that helped me was moving on from premade coils at first i was cost driven, now still is but i can also make exactly what I want for myself. I have been direct lung vape since i started meaning i do not buffer the vape in my mouth prior to inhaling i just pull it straight in (completely opposite of the way i smoked analogs) I also DIY my own juice for various reasons, one reason you could be getting burned taste is due to the sweetener in the juice, it is common practice for vape shops to load up on sweeteners in their juices, excessively and completely unnecessairily. I love sweet fruity vape so it was killing my prebuilt drop in coils non stop. Currently i am using a Smok Cube with Griffin 25+ and i want for absolutely nothing. If you are looking for clouds and are ok spending money on coils, people rave about the TFV8 by Smok. I also find .4-.5 ohms to be my perfect range for cloud/warmth of vape/flavor. All things to consider but getting to where you look forward to vaping is key, when you try an analog and say ... this is disgusting and instantly want to be vaping that is when you know you have it beat ( dont go testing yourself just because ) reduce any outside influence as much as possible.

Also the more time you spend on here discussing vaping, denouncing burning analogs, the more it acts as a support group/element to help you stay focused on your goal.

Dual battery mods are not difficult to get the hang of, getting used to TC right out the gate may make it a bit difficult but at the same time could be easier. Personally i like my power mode ~.5 ohm ~50 watts give or take a bit depending on the build/day and i am good. Dont get overwhelmed you are not chasing a fantasy it is more than realistic to get everything you want, and more. Should mention, i DIY juice ONCE every 3 MONTHS i take about 2 hours out of a weekend and make up enough juice to last me and my wife 3 months (3.2-4 Liters, we vape a lot) Coils/wicks if you are vaping low to zero sweeteners can last weeks so again would limit your need to fiddle constantly. I am not saying go out and do this right now get comfy keep it in mind that it is a lot easier than you fear it is, know there is better/more you can do/get until you are satisfied.

Good Luck hope my opinion helps in any manner

Very nice info -- thank you so much for taking the time to answer. :) You totally hit the nail on the head when you wrote about the need to "fiddle constantly." The fiddling drives me crazy because I'm so busy all the time with other things. If I can DIY juice with so little time consumption, I guess I should check that out. Is there anyplace you recommend for tutorials and supplies? I will need to remember to keep the extra sweeteners out! I'm taking notes on all this. I feel like I've hit advice-Nirvana in this thread, lol! So excited! Will also check out all the gear you mentioned.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Very nice info -- thank you so much for taking the time to answer. :) You totally hit the nail on the head when you wrote about the need to "fiddle constantly." The fiddling drives me crazy because I'm so busy all the time with other things. If I can DIY juice with so little time consumption, I guess I should check that out. Is there anyplace you recommend for tutorials and supplies? I will need to remember to keep the extra sweeteners out! I'm taking notes on all this. I feel like I've hit advice-Nirvana in this thread, lol! So excited! Will also check out all the gear you mentioned.
I could write a book. I think your first step is getting your device you want/need. You could ask your vape shop for unflavored nic juice just to dial things in and know that it isnt your coil/mod/setup causing the burned taste. Once you are dialed in for the most part (some flavors you will adjust power/heat, but not by much) then i would suggest diy. Dont get into overload, last thing you want is to be overwhelmed but there is a DIY section in the General E liquid forum where not only would it be more appropriate but you will also get more opinions from others who DIY than you would here in this thread.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
i wouldn't suggest one that needs to be built by you currently then. there are a lot of factory made coils out there and just by getting into DiY juice you will save yourself money that way.

for a dual battery mod, i would highly recommend the smok alien 220... the TC works well in it, it can come as a kit, and who knows you might fall in love with the baby beast tank they come with lol!

leleegrrl

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast USA
It is all subjective but for flavor I'd recommend an RTA such as a Kayfun Lite or a Taifun GT-T V2 and a mod you can grow into so you don't have to buy again soon. Maybe a Pico

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

I love your signature -- I did a lot of preparation for quitting this time *(this FINAL time) and got an app that shows me all that (time passed, money saved, milestones in health improvement). It has helped tremendously. It's called DropIt! Congratulations on your progress!!!!:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread