Absolute BEST custard recipe that RULES all??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I'm getting burnt out on failing to create the right custard. I realized through all the creams and custard flavors I have, that none of them have the right "eggy" and "buttery" notes. Some have been really good flavors, but just not what I'm after. Thinking of picking up some FA Meringue as I've heard it will add a nice "eggy" note, and if you look at how meringue is actually made, it makes complete sense.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I'm getting burnt out on failing to create the right custard. I realized through all the creams and custard flavors I have, that none of them have the right "eggy" and "buttery" notes. Some have been really good flavors, but just not what I'm after. Thinking of picking up some FA Meringue as I've heard it will add a nice "eggy" note, and if you look at how meringue is actually made, it makes complete sense.

That's a good call, and I tend to add just a touch to my custards. In fact I just mixed up a new batch tonight.

5% FA Custard
2% FA Meringue
2% FA Vanilla Bourbon (Which despite it's name has no bourbon flavor at all, it's just a really rich vanilla. Not like Vanilla extract, more like mashed fresh vanilla beans)
1% FA Black Cherry

Now I've got to let is age about a month and it should be ready to use.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
That's a good call, and I tend to add just a touch to my custards. In fact I just mixed up a new batch tonight.

5% FA Custard
2% FA Meringue
2% FA Vanilla Bourbon (Which despite it's name has no bourbon flavor at all, it's just a really rich vanilla. Not like Vanilla extract, more like mashed fresh vanilla beans)
1% FA Black Cherry

Now I've got to let is age about a month and it should be ready to use.
I know that patience is a virtue with juice, but I honestly will never (not in my distant future) wait for a bottle to steep before I vape it. I like to shake and vape. Which is a shame because custard's really start to come out after a long shelf rest.

With that said, I've tried Nicoticket's GLS and really liked the eggy-ness of it, and found that this guy UltimateOreo on here got really close to it in this thread so I just purchased everything I didnt have to try this one (even the DIY Flavor Shack Holy Vanilla, $10 shipped for 15ml? you cray).

Oreo's Vanilla Custard (Highly Reviewed) | E-Cigarette Forum

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I will say it again for you people who have no patience when this is back in stock - which should be soon - try it LOL - Game Over Custard 14% - Mama J's it is a mix of custards and nillas from what I understand :vapor:
I had actually thought about them when I started mixing, but the reviews for that flavor are not promising, and the reviews on the customer service is atrocious. I'd personally rather not pay $1 per ml for a flavoring that requires 14% per recipe, for what sounds like someone mixing other CAP/TFA flavors in a bottle and sending it out. I enjoy the process of making/finding/tweaking different recipes to find what I enjoy.

The DIYFSHV I ordered is expensive, but what little percentage I will be using for that specific recipe made up for the price. If anyone else has something else to say about it, I'd love to hear actual reviews, flavor profiles and comparisons to other labels.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I know that patience is a virtue with juice, but I honestly will never (not in my distant future) wait for a bottle to steep before I vape it. I like to shake and vape. Which is a shame because custard's really start to come out after a long shelf rest.

Once I have a recipe that I like I tend to make large (250ml) batches of it. So for me it's easy to let my juices age when they need it. I simply make a new batch while I still have 100ml or so left from the last batch. The new batch sits on the shelf while I use up the old, and by the time I get to the new it's aged appropriately.

And I totally understand your points on the cost of flavoring. That's a big reason why I use FlavourArt. I've yet to find any flavoring where I need more than 5% to get what I want, and the flavorings cost just $7 for a 30ml bottle. At 5% that's enough to make 600ml of juice for $7, and most of their flavors need much less than 5%. You'll notice I only used 1% of the Black Cherry and only 2% of the vanilla and meringue.

Seattle444

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Everett, Wa
I love Custard DIY juices I have mix most of the brands out there. I have found that there is no speeding up steeping when it come to Custard. I mix mine and don't vape them til atleast they are 1.5 to 2 months in the cupboard. There are some mixes I made up that are 12 months old and they are the best ones. For me the older my custard mixes sit the more I enjoy them. I'm sure people will disagree with me but for me this is what works. I never speed steep any mix just old fashion natural aging. MaMa j's Game over is a nice mix of custards. I mix with a couple other brands and it yields a delightful vape after 2 months.:tumble:

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I completely understand the 2 month steep for custards, I've had some fine presteeped premium custards before. I think I just need to find a recipe I would make 250+ml of before I start the long steep for bulk processes. I've mixed a different recipe a day for the past 3-4 weeks and have been tearing through about 20-25ml a day now that I dropped my nic to 0.75mg lol.

Reactions: Kenna

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I completely understand the 2 month steep for custards, I've had some fine presteeped premium custards before. I think I just need to find a recipe I would make 250+ml of before I start the long steep for bulk processes. I've mixed a different recipe a day for the past 3-4 weeks and have been tearing through about 20-25ml a day now that I dropped my nic to 0.75mg lol.

The thing is you may not know what you have with these mixes. The complexity changes so much. From week 3 to week 5 is a monumental change in my mixes. You may have already vaped the holy grail of custards and you just don't know it because you vaped it fresh. I use mainly cap cc v1. Even with the fa offerings they change as well. I don't like the lemon in them as much. Wish they would do a custard without the lemon taste.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
The thing is you may not know what you have with these mixes. The complexity changes so much. From week 3 to week 5 is a monumental change in my mixes. You may have already vaped the holy grail of custards and you just don't know it because you vaped it fresh. I use mainly cap cc v1. Even with the fa offerings they change as well. I don't like the lemon in them as much. Wish they would do a custard without the lemon taste.
Thanks for the advice. I am going to start doing more smaller samples soon so I can give them adequate steep time and vape the way i have been until then. Patience has never been one of my strong points.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the advice. I am going to start doing more smaller samples soon so I can give them adequate steep time and vape the way i have been until then. Patience has never been one of my strong points.

I make a 240ml batch and only about 50 or 60 mls get vaped after it is actually steeped. Patience is tough.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I make a 240ml batch and only about 50 or 60 mls get vaped after it is actually steeped. Patience is tough.
Last night I mixed up the Oreo's Custard recipe that I posted earlier. Made a 30ml and was going to shelf it to steep. I tried a dripper full and was amazed at how good it was after a shake and vape. So I went back out and mixed up a 120ml to sit in the back of my vape cabinet to steep for a few weeks, IF I can keep my hands off it lol.

chief63

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Oklahoma, United States
Agree. Custards are best steeped over time vs any speed steeping methods. I mix big batches of Cap V1 or V2 at 10% and use it as a base for smaller mixes. I got some Flavorah Vanilla Custard going at 3,4 and 5% also. Not bad; seems to steep a bit quicker.

I love Custard DIY juices I have mix most of the brands out there. I have found that there is no speeding up steeping when it come to Custard. I mix mine and don't vape them til atleast they are 1.5 to 2 months in the cupboard. There are some mixes I made up that are 12 months old and they are the best ones. For me the older my custard mixes sit the more I enjoy them. I'm sure people will disagree with me but for me this is what works. I never speed steep any mix just old fashion natural aging. MaMa j's Game over is a nice mix of custards. I mix with a couple other brands and it yields a delightful vape after 2 months.:tumble:

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Made a really yummy easy recipe vanilla custard last night, that to me, is an almost exact clone of Yeti Vape Nilla Custard.

Butter (CAP) - 2 drops per 10ml
Graham Cracker (Clear) (TFA) - 2%
Vanilla Custard (TFA) - 12.5%

After my holiday weekend (or possibly before) I am going to make as much as I can for a steep batch. I really didn't give TFA Vanilla Custard enough of a chance before.

Last edited:

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
Made a really yummy easy recipe vanilla custard last night, that to me, is an almost exact clone of Yeti Vape Nilla Custard.

After my holiday weekend (or possibly before) I am going to make as much as I can for a steep batch. I really didn't give TFA Vanilla Custard enough of a chance before.

I think that it is interesting that you hit on this... I have been making a recipe from another site called Vanilla Butter Mint. It uses butter and vanilla custard that to me, gives a perfectly balanced bakery custard taste and mouth feel. Its, not too sweet or perfumey as I have found DDL to be, just rich and savory. But I have never seen butter added to anyone's custard recipes. I was just formulating butter into a VCT recipe I am working on when I ran across your post. The aforementioned recipe is a good shake and vape and an awesome mix after about 5 days. I would be interested in how your mixture develops. I personally don't have TFA's Vanilla Custard and up until now, really wasn't interested in acquiring it...Please keep us posted!

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I think that it is interesting that you hit on this... I have been making a recipe from another site called Vanilla Butter Mint. It uses butter and vanilla custard that to me, gives a perfectly balanced bakery custard taste and mouth feel. Its, not too sweet or perfumey as I have found DDL to be, just rich and savory. But I have never seen butter added to anyone's custard recipes. I was just formulating butter into a VCT recipe I am working on when I ran across your post. The aforementioned recipe is a good shake and vape and an awesome mix after about 5 days. I would be interested in how your mixture develops. I personally don't have TFA's Vanilla Custard and up until now, really wasn't interested in acquiring it...Please keep us posted!
It was a great shake and Vape and really developed some good flavor after a few days. That bottle didn't last but the weekend lol. I made another batch of it when I got home but messed up and added WAY too much custard (read the percentage as the ml lol). When I pulled it back out of the bottle, I don't know if I took out enough, or if it took some of the other ingredients with it, but it wasn't the same. That and I put the remainder that I took out back in the custard bottle not thinking so now that flavor can only be used in that recipe.

I think if anything, I would bring the custard down a little as at higher percentages it gets a dry taste to it. I might try again with 8-9% custard and possibly add some cream. Maybe some FA Vienna cream or TFA Bavarian cream. The butter and graham are perfect and really make the flavor come to life though.

Edit: I also was against the idea of the TFA custard as I felt it was too "spicy" for the custard I was aiming for. I had some on hand for my wife's favorite Boston Cream Cheesecake recipe so I thought I'd change it up from CAP v1 custard for a little lol.

Dconnor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Las Vegas

Sounds interesting. I used to mix my vanilla custard using some butter cream frosting but ended up replacing it with cheesecake. Will have to try it. Thanks!

nlgoddess57

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2015
Washington State
It was a great shake and Vape and really developed some good flavor after a few days. That bottle didn't last but the weekend lol. I made another batch of it when I got home but messed up and added WAY too much custard (read the percentage as the ml lol). When I pulled it back out of the bottle, I don't know if I took out enough, or if it took some of the other ingredients with it, but it wasn't the same. That and I put the remainder that I took out back in the custard bottle not thinking so now that flavor can only be used in that recipe.

I think if anything, I would bring the custard down a little as at higher percentages it gets a dry taste to it. I might try again with 8-9% custard and possibly add some cream. Maybe some FA Vienna cream or TFA Bavarian cream. The butter and graham are perfect and really make the flavor come to life though.

Edit: I also was against the idea of the TFA custard as I felt it was too "spicy" for the custard I was aiming for. I had some on hand for my wife's favorite Boston Cream Cheesecake recipe so I thought I'd change it up from CAP v1 custard for a little lol.

The percentages I use in the Vanilla Butter Mint recipe is 9% CAP Vanilla Custard and 2.5% CAP Butter. I was thinking I would start with these percentages and then add the Graham Cracker and maybe 1% FA Butterscotch... Just to see.. hadn't really thought about adding cream.... the addition of butter has got me thinking about how to mix custards in a new way.

Interesting too, that with the addition of butter, it is an acceptable shake and vape custard. I found that with the Vanilla Butter Mint as well, it just took a few days to develop into fantastic! I lose all kinds of patience with the "steep for the rest of your life" recipes. Keep us updated on your progress with this recipe!

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
The percentages I use in the Vanilla Butter Mint recipe is 9% CAP Vanilla Custard and 2.5% CAP Butter. I was thinking I would start with these percentages and then add the Graham Cracker and maybe 1% FA Butterscotch... Just to see.. hadn't really thought about adding cream.... the addition of butter has got me thinking about how to mix custards in a new way.

Interesting too, that with the addition of butter, it is an acceptable shake and vape custard. I found that with the Vanilla Butter Mint as well, it just took a few days to develop into fantastic! I lose all kinds of patience with the "steep for the rest of your life" recipes. Keep us updated on your progress with this recipe!
Adding in some Butterscotch sounds like an amazing idea. I'm a sucker for butterscotch custard. I stumbled on this recipe by accident, and while I do enjoy it, it has not become an ADV for me. I still find myself yearning for a good eggy/buttery/rich/creamy custard.

I've made a slew of "good" custards recently, but I'm still waiting for the one that makes me stop, stare at my dripper, and say "holy s#it!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread