Absolutely terrified of my batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost.n.disturbed88

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
texas
Alright, so I'd like to keep from blowing my face off... And haven't done much as far as battery safety (I'd let my one battery charge overnight). But I got a battery from my local b&m store yesterday. It's bigger than the battery that came with my zmax, although it still fits and secures. Quite broke right now (first of the month... yay bills) so I'm not in a position to buy better stuff right now. But from the below list, what should be my biggest concerns and how can I keep my current relationship with my face?

Ok, here's my stuffs.

Li-ion charger (came with zmax)
model nk-803
input ac100-240v 50/60Hz
output 4.2v=1000 mah

A blue (no visible brand) (came with zmax) 18650 2200mah 3.6v (with a button on top)

A trustfire 18650 3.7v li-ion 3000mah (also has a button on top)(bought at local b&m)

A sigeli z Max (... came with self :p)

Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'd worry about a battery that went red and never turned green. If your charger actually does have a 1000mah charge rate it should take roughly 2 hours to charge a battery.

I'm happy with my Nitecore I4 and very satisfied with the Trustfire TR-001 that served me well for years before that. I've never had a battery not turn the LED green in a reasonable amount of time. Your Trustfire should have hit 4.2 and turned the light green.

It's a common saying around here, "Never buy a battery with trust or fire in its name". That's probably over the top, but there are better brands to love. AW, Panasonic, and Sanyo come to mind and there are many variants and re-labels on the market.

pr0v8ping

Moved On
Sep 18, 2013
california
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
What about my pv? Will I get a warning before a boom?

If the cartoons I watched as a kid are true, usually a loud ticking sound. (Just kidding).

However:

Lithium battery venting

Bear in mind that this is a worst-case scenario, a direct positive to negative short circuit.

Now, take a deep breath, and turn your Zmax upside-down. See that hole (or those holes) in the bottom cap? Those are there to allow battery gases to escape should the battery vent, instead of allowing pressure to build up inside the tube until it ruptures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread