Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Rather than clicking that image icon at the top,
temp_image_icon.png
click on [Upload a File]
temp_upload_button.png
at the bottom.

You can also drag an image from your computer's file browser directly into the edit box. That's how I did the images above. And here's one using just the [Upload a File] button, (this time I selected [Thumbnail] after the image uploaded):

Click to see full size
temp_post_box.jpg

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Don't know where you got that URL from, but it's not something that's in the media gallery.

It's a pic currently showing in one of my media (gallery) categories. Started using this limited set I created within days that the forum came online. Worked for a while. And that particular image currently links correctly to several posts. But I can't insert them via the FileMgr into any new posts for a couple of days now. Dilemma. If I delete and replace them will they go poof from existing posts?

Kind of moot as I can't seem to upload any new ones either (to the media file direct). And I don't know where images I have uploaded (by posting) are ending up. I thought XF used a common media pool strictly referenced by an image ref (#) where vB related user account with image id in all instances whether introduced direct to gallery, as straight up post attachments or the FileMgr.

Also, given pagination issues on vB I was careful to always pick up the real url from the main image library in my posts. I understand that file still lives somewhere as some posts referring to it are still displaying the graphics. Can anything be done with that? Say to access it and drop them all into my media gallery (in a manner that preserves links).

A bit lost here as to where all my media went or goes prior/since/future…168 images.

Also half of posts I made have this "X" character with no apparent underlying link id (that I can sort out)

Sorry for the 20 questions. Most important, upload/insert not working. Files in my media gallery, are they valid?

Any help or insights appreciated. Willing to help myself if I can.

Good luck retired1

:)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Don't know where you got that URL from, but it's not something that's in the media gallery.

296365-3a7b67dfa482ce310f66008f0174ac83.jpg
296366-24886050d0870c473b07e77c79a3b1e8.jpg
296364-c98caf143e50d19583c86e0c47a2abf9.jpg

This is what happens when I drag-and-drop the thumbnails from the Media Gallery to a post. It was initially working/apparently supported. The result was insertion of just a thumbnail, a useful feature in vB's FileMgr. Clicking on the thumbnail inserted the same scalable edge-to-edge full sized image we see with uploading. Now the only way to insert from the MedGal is to click on the thumbnail in the "Your Media" tab below the editable content and insert a full size image (within [GALLERY] commands)...

View media item 427983
Is there a way to insert thumbnails? Or to insert it from the media gallery in full size without all the labeling, as before? In direct posts the behavior I've observed is that the image is resized to the post width when inserted into the editor…

IMG_1416a.jpg

That's desirable and attractive. In Preview mode it displays the "View attachment #" message suggesting it will scale edge-to-edge (see in a second when I post this).

Now that I've uploaded a duplicate that is already in gallery, where does it end up ret? Does it count to the storage allocation? And how can I get to it to delete it?

So sum up. Can't drag and drop MedGal's thumbnails (could b4), would be helpful for workload. Inserting from the MedGal constrains the image to the above labelled style. Will we only have full-size when initially uploading? Or is there a way to call both? And finally, how can we delete direct-to-post uploads (as they don't appear to be automatically added to the MedGal). How do we delete those or dup's in general?

Thanks @retired1.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

Posts from the gallery are working for me in that reduced (and labelled) format as I noted above. I did figure out how to get to the full frame picture and to insert it as an image. Tedious but doable. Same for thumbnails which can just be added to the gallery. It just seems like vital tools are absent for what should be uniform choices between the upload and gallery functions.

What I would like an answer for is where are (posted) uploads going? How do we access them?

That would be helpful to know.

Thanks.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I suspect you're attempting to link photos in a manner that's not in line with how it's done. When you go to the image, you'll see a box on the right that contains links that you can use to embed it into a post. That's the preferred method and the one you should be using.

Xen Foro Tips and Tricks - Media Gallery | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread