Adjusting voltage on Eleaf Istick 30w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Katie

Oct 13, 2011
Oregon
Hello:

Yesterday I received my new istick 30 and I can only take the watts down to 6.6w. It is supposed to go down to 5 watts. I have this set up on 2 volts with the 6.6w and it is hitting me so hard and so strong I can't vape it. Am using a Kanger Subtank nano and even with only one airhole I can't use it. Because of the easy coil rebuild with the nano I REALLY wanted this setup to work. I don't know if I simply need to exchange the istick 30w, or to return it and get an Istick 20w or something else of a lighter (less powerful) mod or battery. My throat/lungs can't take heavy hitting vape setups. In the past I've used a Spinner VV with a GS-H2 or Protank mini with great luck. I want something I can rebuild though and its next to impossible with those coils. Would greatly appreciate some input. Tis' my first post and am happy to be here. Have a great and safe July 4th weekend everyone!

Kitty Katie

Oct 13, 2011
Oregon
Could it be that the Istick 30w is simply faulty? I don't want to order an Istick 20w until I get some solid advice. I have read that numerous subtank nano users are having good luck with the Istick 20w yet interesting enough myvaporstore.com says it is too small and only advices 25w+ mods. So right now I don't know what the hell to do. Please help:)

Kitty Katie

Oct 13, 2011
Oregon
I have been using 12mg ejuice. I have been wondering about this. I have read that it may be a good idea to lower nic by 50% using sub-ohm coils. I also read earlier tonight, that throat to lung vapers (like myself), may not like the sub-ohm setups? Perhaps I am pushing things with vaping by going to this level too soon. Yet I do like having a good rebuildable unit. Maybe I can't have my cake and eat it too. I surely appreciate help guys and gals:)

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Is the istick r3ading the ohms of the coil properly? What resistance coil is being used? Vendors recommend 25+ watts for the subtanks because the .5 coils work well up to 24 watts with airflow wide open. That requires a lung hit though.
- nano is rebuildable? I thought those could not fit the rebuildable head, too small.

LewAz

Apr 2, 2015
Great American Southwest
I have an IStick 30w and a Kanger Subtank Mini as well. My Subtank came installed with the 0.5 OCC coil and I couldn't vape it....same problem as you are having. I installed the 1.2 OCC coil, filled it with 12 mg liquid (down from 24mg with the 0.5 coil), adjusted the wattage and airflow (experiment with both)...and all was well. Don't drop your wattage down to low. I wouldn't go much below ten with the 1.2 coil.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Yeah, I think you need a higher resistance coil, or cut the nic way down. You might try a higer percentage of VG in the juice, too, or water your juice, to cut the throat hit. If you really want to rebuild, and sub-ohm is not where you want to be, maybe consider another tank. I recommend the Fogger V6 for dual coils, or the Lemo2 for a single. The authentic version of either can be had about the same price as the Kanger, and they're more flexible for a rebuildable. There's not a lot of room on the Sub tank RBA deck. You can look at a more expensive unit-- assuming you want one, I love my Fogger and Lemo both-- if you decide you like the bigger deck. Why don't you try a 1.2 coil head in the sub tank, see if that puts you somewhere closer to where you want to be.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I would respectfully disagree with you about the Subtank Mini. And the Lemo 2, I believe, is strictly a rebuildable...no factory coils.
You'll hear no argument from me; there's a lot of subjectivity in this advice. You are correct about the Lemo. The Fogger I touted is also. That was my point: being solely rebuildables, the deck is bigger, and easier to coil up, and large gives you more room to try different builds.

Reactions: LewAz

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
On my iStick 30 watt I can go down to 5 watts on 1.8 dual coils (Genitank Mega) and with my 0.5 OCC coils (Subtank Mini). I currently have the Subtank's rba in at 0.8 ohms and it too can go to 5 watts with no issues.
I agree that if yours will not go below 6.6, then something is wrong with your iStick.

My wife likes hers set at about 6 watts with the 1.2 OCC coils. I like 15 watts all the way around usually. We have lowered our nicotine down to 3mg for the subtanks.

newvaper92

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Jackson, Michigan
My Istick 30 must have the same problem as yours... it will go down to 5.0w with the atomizer removed (Kanger Subtank Nano, .5 ohm coil) but as soon as I screw it on, it jumps to 6.6w. Tried a couple puffs as you have yours set up, and sure enough, it made me cough, and produced little to no vapor (6.6w, airflow open one hole). I'm using a 6mg liquid. Try turning it up to at least 15w, open the air control all the way, and try a couple lung inhales (inhale directly into lungs, like breathing in). I find it easier to inhale this way at a higher wattage than mouth to lung at a lower wattage. Could also try a higher / max vg juice, it tends to be less harsh than pg.

Kitty Katie

Oct 13, 2011
Oregon
My Istick 30 must have the same problem as yours... it will go down to 5.0w with the atomizer removed (Kanger Subtank Nano, .5 ohm coil) but as soon as I screw it on, it jumps to 6.6w. Tried a couple puffs as you have yours set up, and sure enough, it made me cough, and produced little to no vapor (6.6w, airflow open one hole). I'm using a 6mg liquid. Try turning it up to at least 15w, open the air control all the way, and try a couple lung inhales (inhale directly into lungs, like breathing in). I find it easier to inhale this way at a higher wattage than mouth to lung at a lower wattage. Could also try a higher / max vg juice, it tends to be less harsh than pg.

Try using the other coil head that is 1.2 ohms. After I changed mine out I was able to take my Istick down to 5.0 w so at least I know it is working properly. Am awaiting some 3 & 6 mg nicotine ejuice to then see it that makes it easier. I also took the drip tip off and put a smaller (narrower) one on which has already made it gentler. Will let you know if the lower nicotine juice makes a difference.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I doubt there is anything wrong with your istick 30, they cannot down regulate below / output less than 2v.
When using a .5Ω coil/head/load = 2v / .5Ω = 8w.
No matter what the display reads it simply can't output less than 8w using a .5Ω load because the minimum output is 2v.

When using a 1.2Ω head = 2.44v / .5Ω = 5w.

Most folks cut their nic mg/ml in at least half when using sub ohm resistance ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread