Status
Not open for further replies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Gonna leave this here

The way it was to work is you don't see the ads when logged in. I think they have fixed it now.

That's fine but it was huge and floated around :). I was over at another site and they had the same thing but it was smaller and stayed put.

I admit that I overreacted. It did seem permanent.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    That's fine but it was huge and floated around :). I was over at another site and they had the same thing but it was smaller and stayed put.

I admit that I overreacted. It did seem permanent.
    Oh I get the frustration. I had to deal with it myself. ;)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    So I just installed the Firefox & the 2 add ons you mentioned. Posting is different & it asked to confirm liking your post. Is this normal?

AdblockPlus should be pretty transparent. NoScript does need to be trained ;) but it will remember if you "allow", not "temporarily allow."

Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    AdblockPlus should be pretty transparent. NoScript does need to be trained ;) but it will remember if you "allow", not "temporarily allow."
    Thank you, started getting to know it today. Using Firefox for unfamiliar sites & Chrome for sites I trust.

Reactions: DavidOck

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
    Admin
    Verified Member
    OK, mea culpa. That ad wasn't supposed to show at all - it was just supposed to be a test script. So, apologies for that. Blimey though, overreaction much?

This site costs $$ to run, by the way. I'm not putting ads up to make it a miserable experience, I'm doing it because forums are exceptionally server intensive and one as large as this especially so.

Those of you who aren't supporting members but who don't like the ads - how can I persuade you to sign up?

Asked in the spirit of really wanting to keep ECF viable and making it the best possible experience for members and visitors.

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    OK, mea culpa. That ad wasn't supposed to show at all - it was just supposed to be a test script. So, apologies for that. Blimey though, overreaction much?

This site costs $$ to run, by the way. I'm not putting ads up to make it a miserable experience, I'm doing it because forums are exceptionally server intensive and one as large as this especially so.

Those of you who aren't supporting members but who don't like the ads - how can I persuade you to sign up?

Asked in the spirit of really wanting to keep ECF viable and making it the best possible experience for members and visitors.
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but maybe if you could just ask us to join and give us a little more information about supporting membership. I've been on the fence about it for a while, but I don't completely understand what it is all about. There isn't a lot about it under that Support ECF tab.

The Great American Smoke Out is coming in November, and I think I saw something about "stoptober" as well. You are a good writer, and have done a lot to mobilise people on ECF. How about a short membership drive and a sticky post about what the membership does for ECF and how the funds are used. Don't go for an all-out begathon or sad, pitiful images of vapers out in the rain, just something simple that gets the information out to folks. The thing with the ads got us talking, so it might be a good time to run with it. If you do, I will join.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but maybe if you could just ask us to join and give us a little more information about supporting membership. I've been on the fence about it for a while, but I don't completely understand what it is all about. There isn't a lot about it under that Support ECF tab.

The Great American Smoke Out is coming in November, and I think I saw something about "stoptober" as well. You are a good writer, and have done a lot to mobilise people on ECF. How about a short membership drive and a sticky post about what the membership does for ECF and how the funds are used. Don't go for an all-out begathon or sad, pitiful images of vapers out in the rain, just something simple that gets the information out to folks. The thing with the ads got us talking, so it might be a good time to run with it. If you do, I will join.

Ummm. Become an ECF supporting member!

It's been a sticky in the General vaping Discussion forum for years. ;)

Reactions: Letitia

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    Ummm. Become an ECF supporting member!

It's been a sticky in the General vaping Discussion forum for years. ;)
    I've seen that thread and the tab up top, but the information justs seems kind of outdated and limited, especially if you jump to the last page of the thread. Like I said, I've been on the fence, but wanted to know more about it beyond a red badge before I pulled the trigger. Other folks may feel the same way and maybe seeing something new would help build the membership.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    I've seen that thread and the tab up top, but the information justs seems kind of outdated and limited, especially if you jump to the last page of the thread. Like I said, I've been on the fence, but wanted to know more about it beyond a red badge before I pulled the trigger. Other folks may feel the same way and maybe seeing something new would help build the membership.
    I agree it needs to be updated. I still don't really know what all the membership covers. Do you get a newsletters?

Marc411

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    I run a regional forum, not nearly the size of ECF and I can tell you a fast loading server isn't cheap.

Bandwidth is something you pay for and the speed of the server dictates how well a forum will maintain it's membership. If page loads take to much time the membership suffers or people simply don't return. You pay significantly to maintain a fast loading server, especially for a membership (and non-members viewing) as large as ECF. Additionally, we have the benefit of uploading files, images and documents. That equals space, space equals additional expense.

There really is more expense than meets the eye to have a quality (fast loading) forum that maintains as much historical information as ECF.

Revenue to keep forums operational come from two primary channels, advertising and paid membership. The revenue has to come from somewhere sports fans or the site is unsustainable.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I run a regional forum, not nearly the size of ECF and I can tell you a fast loading server isn't cheap.

Bandwidth is something you pay for and the speed of the server dictates how well a forum will maintain it's membership. If page loads take to much time the membership suffers or people simply don't return. You pay significantly to maintain a fast loading server, especially for a membership (and non-members viewing) as large as ECF. Additionally, we have the benefit of uploading files, images and documents. That equals space, space equals additional expense.

There really is more expense than meets the eye to have a quality (fast loading) forum that maintains as much historical information as ECF.

Revenue to keep forums operational come from two primary channels, advertising and paid membership. The revenue has to come from somewhere sports fans or the site is unsustainable.
    Exactly what ECF needs to put out there. I'm sure that I am not the only tech idiot that does not realize/understand what actually is involved with keeping a forum going.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    For me, it was more about doing a little bit to help the site that helped me become an ex-smoker. Yeah, I lurked for a while before even joining, as I suspect many do.

I found it pretty easy to become a supporting member - for less than the cost of two packs of smokes... And isn't that a frequent "yardstick" to justify the purchase of a new piece of gear? To me, ECF is a bargain along the same lines - to get help with that new piece of gear :)

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    Exactly what ECF needs to put out there. I'm sure that I am not the only tech idiot that does not realize/understand what actually is involved with keeping a forum going.
    I agree. I don't mind supporting, just kinda wanted a update on what a supporting member is and what the benefit was. I'm not knocking ecf, I just wanted to know before spending money.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread