Advice for a non-smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will S

Jul 23, 2016
Hi guys,
I'm after some very basic advice please. I am not a smoker, but the woman who lives in the flat below me is a chain smoker. The smoke leaves her flat through her open windows and enters mine, as well as coming through various hidden pipes seemingly directly into my house. In the heat of the last few days here I have had to keep all my windows and doors closed, and I can still smell it.
Instead of moving house, my idea is to buy her an e-cigarette, to try to wean her off the traditional tobacco. What should I buy? I have almost literally no idea!
Many thanks in advance,
Will

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hi Bonskibon,
Thanks for the reply.
I was under the impression that e-cigs still contain nicotine? I was hoping to simply offer her a direct alternative where she still gets the kick of the nicotine but doesn't produce the smoky by product? Is this not the case?
Cheers
Will
Yes, ecigs do have nicotine and you can get some without. My point was making a decision for her to stop smoking when that may not even be what she wants.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi Will.
It's complicated. Smokers tend to resist e-cigs. If you have an otherwise good relationship with her she might or might not be interested in trying e-cigs.
Either way, the chances of you finding something decent for low cost is minimal because the majority of grocery store products barely work, cost too much and are scam products thrust onto the unsuspecting public by tobacco companies or greedy entrepreneurs. Sad, but true. The most useless equipment is also the hardware 'bigged up' by the marketing men.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Hi guys,
I'm after some very basic advice please. I am not a smoker, but the woman who lives in the flat below me is a chain smoker. The smoke leaves her flat through her open windows and enters mine, as well as coming through various hidden pipes seemingly directly into my house. In the heat of the last few days here I have had to keep all my windows and doors closed, and I can still smell it.
Instead of moving house, my idea is to buy her an e-cigarette, to try to wean her off the traditional tobacco. What should I buy? I have almost literally no idea!
Many thanks in advance,
Will
That's kinda like having an alcoholic that lives below you who keep throwing his bottles and can out of the window. You have to really want to stop a habit. First....I know...I had the alcohol monster almost half of my life and the tobacco monster for nearly 60 years. I had to face them both before I could do anything to stop...and...it was really hard.
Good luck however....maybe she'll take your gift for what it is and try it.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I even helped a neighbor in getting gear after she said she wanted to try it out.

When she couldn't figure how to charge her atty :facepalm: she lost interest and went back to smoking.
    A lot of folks are just not that inclined to mess with the upkeep.

As a nonsmoker, would you be willing to take on that task?

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    My guess is you need someone willing to introduce her (assuming she wants to quit) to vaping. Vape shops are a good place to inquire. The key is to have someone (extremely knowledgeable, if possible) answer and guide the novice through the process.
    First you have to sell her on the idea, if agreeable.
    Could start here:
    Public Health England under fire for saying e-cigarettes are 95% safer
    Angry Vaper - About THR
    ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers

Reactions: smacuser

penstyle

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    FL
    Keep in mind that talking to this neighbor about the issue could make the problem worse. I know it is difficult to believe. But, some people will go out of their way to make you miserable once they know something bothers you.

I would use a window that is either not above the offending neighbor or one that the smoke is not entering into and put a box fan in the window, blowing inward. This should help to build up positive air pressure in your home and push air out the windows where you are having the smoke problem. Also, if you can find those pipes you mentioned there are many products such as gap fillers and caulking for around pipes. Not sure though why open pipes would be between the 2 floors.

Princess Zelda

Jul 19, 2016
    Although I do think it would be more respectful to discuss it with her first before just buying her a kit, I do think there's a few ways to get her interested in it without it coming off as rude. Some people are just really adverse to change and might just need something to prompt them in that direction. She might not even really know anything about e cigs either. Definitely don't tell her that it bothers you, because yea, some people will go out of their way to make it worse for you if they get defensive.

If you are close enough with her to go with a gift route and want to get her a nicer set, I personally really like v2 e cigs. I have the standard kit, automatic long batteries. The kit comes with two batteries, ten cartridges, and a charger (both USB and wall). They last a while and the flavours are decent. The kit is $40 but it's easy to find discounts and coupons to make it cost less. I've heard that some former smokers prefer the short batteries if they were very particular about keeping their habit as close to what it was before.

My boyfriend was a former smoker and he uses Vuse which he likes and has stuck with. I tried Vuse for about three weeks and personally disliked it, the nicotine content was way too high for me (I use 2.4mg, Vuse was 4.8mg) and I had issues with a battery that leaked. The kits are only like $11-12 though. It would certainly be easy to say like, "oh someone gave this to me but I don't smoke, I know you do, so you can have it." It wouldn't be a huge hit to your wallet either.

If you want to get her interested without risking whatever money you've spent, maybe If you talk about e cigs in a positive manner, like mention a story about someone who switched to them and really liked it, how it's so much cheaper now, talk about how you find them interesting and stuff, etc. it might pique her interest to look into them. Don't say anything negative about her smoking habits though because the idea here is to focus on the positives.

I personally think the last option is the best, but if you're really intent on giving her a kit, go with one of the first two options.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread