Advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I smoked for 30 years, and loved it! I wasn't experiencing negative effects from cigarettes, and only quit due to increasing cost. I'm been vaping mostly 12mg liquid for 10 years, yet I never crave a vape. Some days I don't vape, some days I do.

yeah I know what you mean as I am similar to you ........ Some days I vape and others I don't......... But, everyone is different and some folks simply feel they need to puff on something as they did it for so long.... When I first started vaping, I vaped non stop in order to help me get away from tobacco........ But now days I no longer have to vape all of the time and can even go awhile without vaping, so I know exactly what you are saying.....

There is a similar discussion going on in another thread and I invite you to check it out to see what you think..

Is nic really addictive?

I am in now way in disagreement with you......... On the other hand, everyone's body chemistry has differences and nicotine and other compounds effect people in slightly different ways.

Reactions: jcoopercam

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    You were experiencing the negative effects you just didnt realise it, there is no way to smoke without harm. I set you a challenge jcoopercam. Try one week with no vaping. Not being malicious here just interested to see if you could do it to prove that vaping is easy to stop. Not that you have to prove anything lol
    I didn't vape for two weeks last month... No craving. With cigarettes, I couldn't go anywhere without my Marlboro's! Sitting through a movie was nearly impossible. If I left the house without my cigs, I would either go back home to get them, or buy a pack. I leave the house routinely without my mod, and it doesn't bother me at all. It's like... Oh well.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    yeah I know what you mean as I am similar to you ........ Some days I vape and others I don't......... But, everyone is different and some folks simply feel they need to puff on something as they did it for so long.... When I first started vaping, I vaped non stop in order to help me get away from tobacco........ But now days I no longer have to vape all of the time and can even go awhile without vaping, so I know exactly what you are saying.....

There is a similar discussion going on in another thread and I invite you to check it out to see what you think..

Is nic really addictive?

I am in now way in disagreement with you......... On the other hand, everyone's body chemistry has differences and nicotine and other compounds effect people in slightly different ways.
    Thank you for the link! Agreed on all points made.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Thanks Vapdivrr I will never know I wont go back to it, I hopefully never will, but I have done many stupid things in my life and still yearn for a few of them. I am not worrying at all about it, it it more realising that I have replaced one monkey with another one and yes that new one is helping but I would prefer to have none. I want to be free from all of it and hopefully do that in 6 months or less. I wont rush but i just want to get back to the old me, someone who doesnt have to worry about going someplace and thinking do i have enough tobacco/cigs/juice/charge to be able to cope.
    I totally understand the reason to not want to do both, but I do hear tons of stories about people lowering nic and going back to smoking, and that's not a good thing...you maybe correct in saying that you might always want to go back and if that's the case, you will have a hard time regardless. I think, from what I personally witness and reading, that alot get to a point where they despise smoking and it literally makes them sick just smelling it, self included, so that's kind of how I based this on. Honestly I feel that nic in vaping is so much easier to quit from, because I have often tried for a couple days to stop and was successful even vaping 24mg nic. So I still think it's a better, more sound tactic to at least stay where you are for a while without at least thinking to much about quitting vaping . I think one has to give vaping a few years and if in that time you still have cig urges, then start a plan, just don't lower to much because personally I don't think it's any harder to stop vaping from 18mg or 6mg, so why not keep and stop those urges in their tracks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    May I be blunt?

If you're an alcoholic, it's a good idea to stay out of bars after you get sober. If you're a {moderated} addict, you don't want to drive by the drug man's house every day once you're clean.

So what are you doing on a forum full of vaping enthusiasts? I frankly believe that the advice you get here on how to quit vaping is about as good as the advice you'd get from the local pub denizens on giving up beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    12mg is no good for me it constricts the veins in my neck and that feels horrible. True i might not vape as much but i will feel worse for it.
    I tend to disagree, yes vaping isnt as addictive as smoking true but as all of us ex smokers know smoking isnt (or replacing it with vaping) all about the act of inhaling it is the hand to mouth the finger time. So in a way it is just as addictive i think. Maybe i should get a fidget spinner then punch myself in the face often heh .

The hand to mouth is not an addiction, it's a habit. Big distinction.

There are many members who have gone from smoking, to vaping and then to quit it all together. They generally are not on the forum after they have stopped vaping.

We that still frequent the forum are vapers. Some may have the intention of stopping everything but it's not as common on the forum.

I personally know of three that were successful because I am friends with them on Facebook and still keep in touch that way. They just don't need the forum any longer. They reached their goal

I do however have a tip for you: When you do reach your goal, keep some supplies put away....just in case.

Never feel bad if you backslide and smoke, just get back up and try again.

Good luck and I mean that sincerely. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Sorry if I was a little blunt on my first post, but I just despise smoking now and owe my life to vaping. I feel it's the greatest tool in the world for quiting cigarettes and believe one has to totally devote a bit of time to it for it to really work. I personally don't feel one can or should put a time limit on it once one starts, but to give it time to get into the fabric of ones self. I feel in a couple few years whatever, besides nicotine (or nic, which I believe to have different effects when burned) that was in cigs to subside . Vaping is a great tool and we are fortunate to have it, so I feel it's something that one should do full out and to the best of one's ability and imo, that's not rushing it's results....I just don't want vaping to fail for anyone starting, so that's why I say these things...good luck my friend

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    Thanks for the positive comments folks. I realised something yesterday, I was thinking before that oooh I am nearly 1 month of vaping hows about I give myself a nice gift to celebrate a new mod and tank maybe, yeah thats good. Then it got me thinking I have a perfectly ideal device that will do that already, I don't need a new hobby I certianly do not need to start buying new shinies. So I am thinking get off the tobacco for good and I am there (just about), my health is already better, the smell of smoking is ugly to me now, I like to succeed at something, Measure twice cut once and this is what I am doing, and if this thread helps even one person realise hey I can stop smoking then stop vaping then all the better! I wont be presuring myself or setting a concrete time limit I said 6 months and a smoker going cold Turky would be totally free in that time limit so why vape longer than that? Have a plan and stick to it, alter the plan if need arises, but stick to the plan!

So what are you doing on a forum full of vaping enthusiasts?
    I joined here because I was after help and information on regarding giving up smoking, and because it is free friendly and nice, also i joined because I was after information on mods etc but having thought this through i realise that it is just replacing one habbit with another and I wish to be free from both of them.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    I joined here because I was after help and information on regarding giving up smoking, and because it is free friendly and nice, also i joined because I was after information on mods etc but having thought this through i realise that it is just replacing one habbit with another and I wish to be free from both of them.

There is room on this forum for everyone. Regardless of what their goal is.

Our goal here is to answer questions, help with devices, liquids, even support for those who need a little "atta boy"s (pat on the back).

To Everyone: All are welcome here regardless if they are just getting started, want to learn more before starting, or want to share their journey. Do Not make someone feel unwelcome.

Got it?

Good.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoyed smoking. I also knew after 23 yrs it wasn't healthy so vaping helped me put down the cigarettes. I really enjoy vaping, including the fact I don't smell like a ashtray. So for me I don't see myself putting a time limit on vaping. I know a few who have and done so. But in social settings they end up smoking a cigarette. I never want to be in that situation.:) I wish you well on your journey and I hope for the best!
    Good luck :thumbs:

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    I don't know if this means anything, but I also quit drinking the same day I quit smoking. The fact that I stopped going into bars (I'll assume) was a contributor to my success at quitting smoking.

A side note...
    30 years of my life were wasted due to the "arrested development" effects of alcoholism. The few acquaintances I still talk with (who continue to drink) are no different (mentally) than they were when we were 19 years old. To say this is downright creepy would be an understatement. I say acquaintances, because when you quit drinking and drugging, you quickly find out who your true friends are. Out of the two dozen or so, there are only two that I trust.

I don't believe smoking effects a person mentally, but it without question effects your body physically. When I quit smoking, I actually began filling-out. I'm not talking about getting fat... I'm talking about actually body growth. I've been researching this, and there appears to be science that supports the old adage; "Smoking stunts your growth..." Apparently, one of the most prolific effects of smoking is on the body related to the normal function of the pituitary system. The idea is, that quitting smoking can result (for some) in the body resuming its natural course of growth.

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Thanks for the positive comments folks. I realised something yesterday, I was thinking before that oooh I am nearly 1 month of vaping hows about I give myself a nice gift to celebrate a new mod and tank maybe, yeah thats good. Then it got me thinking I have a perfectly ideal device that will do that already, I don't need a new hobby I certianly do not need to start buying new shinies. So I am thinking get off the tobacco for good and I am there (just about), my health is already better, the smell of smoking is ugly to me now, I like to succeed at something, Measure twice cut once and this is what I am doing, and if this thread helps even one person realise hey I can stop smoking then stop vaping then all the better! I wont be presuring myself or setting a concrete time limit I said 6 months and a smoker going cold Turky would be totally free in that time limit so why vape longer than that? Have a plan and stick to it, alter the plan if need arises, but stick to the plan!

I understand where you are coming from. A lot of us here see ourselves as having quit smoking...vaping helped us quit smoking, and after some time goes by, we noticed that we were feeling healthier and could breath better. For me, vaping is like my medicine, it took away the urge to smoke and kept it away for good.

I'll share a little story with you, that time I quit smoking for a year and a half, I really figured that I had it beat. I was chewing nic gum and had weaned myself down to two to three pieces of the lowest dose, having a half piece at a time. The gum never satisfied me like the vaping does, but it did work, until that one day I caught a whiff of a freshly lit smoke, same brand that I had used previously...it was on the deck of the bar at a ski slope having an apre ski beer... I didn't make it ten miles down the road before I hit a gas station and bought a pack...and just like that...out of the blue, I was smoking again.

I've been vaping for four years now, and I never get an urge to smoke, my lungs are clear, and my overall feeling of well being is worlds different from when I was choking down fifty cigs a day...just be careful.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    Thanks Enaud, I know in the future i will think of slipping now and again, but hopefully in those moments I will realise a few things. Like how much healthier I am, how I have seen otheres suffer and die from smoking, how much lego i now have hehe, how bad the smoke smells to me and remember the struggle of giving up.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Look this board follows the principles of harm reduction, right? If the OP thinks he can quit and wants to, that's great, and I have all hopes that he will be successful in his time frame, and there's a certain amount of pain that goes along with vaping, too. Like for my kid, spending ANY money on nic became something he was not willing to do EVEN IF vaping was not substantially impacting his health, but he wanted to quit, I was dubious at first but he began saying all the right things about quitting vaping, and it's coming up on 5 months for him, zero cigarettes. Heck *I* was *worried, I was concerned, but he turned out to do great, did not vape but kept his equipment around, then gifted it to me. I was amazed, and he seems fine without hand to mouth action. So, it would really be unfair of me to treat the OP differently than my kid... He really wants to do it, he has reasonable reasons, let him try and either succeed or fail.

OP, I understand your desire to quit, and by all means give it a shot, however and whenever you decide. Just don't get rid of your vape equipment for a couple months (or even keep it) until you figure out where your quit goes, and if you can be successful. Maybe yes, but vaping is still safer than smoking (IMO).

I hope it goes well for you, OP, I have no desires to quit vaping at this point, but I know how I smoked (2-3 ppd) and what health risks I was teetering on facing. I will probably reduce nicotine at SOME point, especially after menopause (heart health for ladies), or even before that. I don't know, but I do know for MYSELF I'm not ready but that doesn't mean the OP isn't. Perhaps he is. :)

Anna

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    The kiddo's crazy cool, I don't know what I did right, LOL. At least, now he is. He was a complete little (censored) from 16--18, but I think a certain amount of terror raising is necessary in one's teen years. Personally. My mother certainly confirmed I committed heartily to the terror raising from like, 12 to [infinity and beyond]! :)

If you are a hoarder, you should definitely send your stash to me after you quit for 6 months. Not because I deserve it, I'mma just trying to Help a Hoarder Out. :) Though I understand that's a very painful and destructive illness, so I hope when you are not vaping, you can use that mental energy to unload some stuff. Actually, the house fire was very therapeutic I donated about half my shoes and clothing to Goodwill. So glad I am not a manager anymore. Managers may be jerks due to the need for high heels and business suits, they certainly made me cranky. :)

Anna

Reactions: Gratch

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
    Haha yeah we all need to rebel at a young age how else can we know how stupid we were in later life. Here is a pic of my stash, as you can see it will be easy to recycle :)
    41JUDNQ.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread