Advice on upgrading to mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

karena

Jan 23, 2012
WI
I quit smoking six years ago using the basic cig-alike e-cigs. For several years now I've been using V4L Dial-a-Volts with 3.5mg tanks and 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers.
I'm looking to get my first mod. I've been reading reviews and watching videos of the various
models and at this point I've become mind boggled.
I have a few questions:

I like to be able to vary the voltage - Are all mods variable voltage?

Since I have young grandkids who visit I would want the ability to regulate the amount of vapor that is created. From watching the videos all I'm seeing are gigantic plumes of vapor being expelled, which is what I do want, but when the kids are over I want the lowest vapor production as not to freak them out.

I look forward to your advice and product suggestions.
:)
Thanks!

Reactions: KentA

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I quit smoking six years ago using the basic cig-alike e-cigs. For several years now I've been using V4L Dial-a-Volts with 3.5mg tanks and 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers.
I'm looking to get my first mod. I've been reading reviews and watching videos of the various
models and at this point I've become mind boggled.
I have a few questions:

I like to be able to vary the voltage - Are all mods variable voltage?

Since I have young grandkids who visit I would want the ability to regulate the amount of vapor that is created. From watching the videos all I'm seeing are gigantic plumes of vapor being expelled, which is what I do want, but when the kids are over I want the lowest vapor production as not to freak them out.

I look forward to your advice and product suggestions.
Thanks!
There are a few ways that come to mind in reducing the amt of vapor.
1. You could just hold the vape in, if even just for a few seconds. You will be surprised at how little comes out. I used to do that in restaurants, but lately haven't because of all the bad press.
2. Buy what you really want in upgrades and just use your current mod around the young ones.

Or if you want all brand new, buy a different tank ie. like a nautilus mini with a 1.6 or 1.8 coil and have ejuice that has more pg than vg in it than you normally use.

What type of new gear are you looking to get?

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Not freaking out the grand kids is always a good idea.:)

All regulated mods let you adjust the power, either by varying the voltage or the wattage. Most mods these days adjust in wattage, but it's pretty much the same thing. Turn it up when you want more power and down when you don't.

Now you're talking about doing two different things. The first is blow clouds, the second is little cloud but enough nic so you don't get cranky with the kids. Generally, the amount of cloud will depend on the amount of airflow (lots of air, good for clouds) and the type of juice (high VG, more stuff to turn cloudy). Generally, one tank does not do both well.

My advice to satisfy both areas of vaping you'd like to play with is get one regulated mod of reasonable power (75W is fine for power, but you probably want more than one in case the other breaks or the battery is depleted or something) and two tanks. One with a higher ohm coil and low airflow for use around the kids like a Triton mini (2 ml, top fill, Nautilus mini coils that are a proven standard for low power mtl use) and a subohm tank with more airflow for blowing clouds. There you can get as crazy as you want, but for simplicity and affordability I'd go with a Tobeco Super tank mini (I know, it's a super mini) which will take all sorts of subohm coils that are Atlantis compatible (a popular coil design). That should handle the DL cloud stuff for you.

I recommend two juices, one a higher nic, higher PG juice for the Triton mini, and a lower nic, high VG juice for clouds. You want to reduce the nic as when you take that larger cloud inhale, you will "get" more nic, so lowering it will be more pleasant than a harsh hit that makes you dizzy and nauseous.

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
...when the kids are over I want the lowest vapor production as not to freak them out.:)
LOL. When I see my grandchildren I hear "make more smoke Grandpa!" Like you, I try to keep the clouds down when they're around, but that's not what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread