Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Hasn't this been going on forever?

I see newb posts with "simple" "basic" "easiest" and it seems as if they devolve to dripping with variable voltage mods in no time. Maybe I over state, but I'm not too far off.

I like to reafirm someone's choice, unless I know, absolutely, that their hardware choice is all wrong for them. I hate getting into threads where there is no thoughts by the OP on what hardware appeals to them. Don't know if they have issues with picking something, or are too lazy to search, or if they did search the info-overload struck them real fast. Either way, it is not comfortable.

It would be easy to suggest the same PV to everyone. Work with your hands and think you need a short auto, get a BBM! Social smoker that is trying to get away from smoking, but still trying to "fit" in, get a BBM! Want the ease of prefilled cartos, get a BBM and drip!

Yeah, it would be easy, but I'd feel sleazy...

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Proceed directly to something with a real battery. You're not doing anyone any favors by telling them which 30 minute device to buy. Too frustrating fighting the batteries=right back to tobacco. eGo family is the perfect gateway to vaping. Mrs. Doctor Vapenstein insisted on something that looked like a cigarette. It took only three weeks before she was using an eGo with a drip tip.

It's better to steer people right than pander to their misconceptions and tell them to go buy hardware that makes vaping a chore.

OTOH, if the only thing available to me when I started with ecigs 2 years ago had been a big battery like the EGO, I would never have bought the first one. I don't know what kinds of cig-like batteries you might have used that last only 30 minutes, but my VaporKing lasts far longer than that. Some of us still like the look of traditional e cigs and would not be caught dead with a box mod or some of the other strange looking objects others rave about. To each his own.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
OTOH, if the only thing available to me when I started with ecigs 2 years ago had been a big battery like the EGO, I would never have bought the first one. I don't know what kinds of cig-like batteries you might have used that last only 30 minutes, but my VaporKing lasts far longer than that. Some of us still like the look of traditional e cigs and would not be caught dead with a box mod or some of the other strange looking objects others rave about. To each his own.

To each his own indeed. Some folks are in the frame of mind that they want to give up as little as possible when they switch. Myself, I just wanted something to hit as near to a smoke as I could get. I recently bought a 901 Riva for a friend who wanted to quit and got an e-mail from him just this morning entitled "Thanks from an ex smoker". Made me feel really good.
So the fat batt worked for him right out of the gate but everybody's different and I agree with the OP that we should read the original posts and answer the questions that are actually asked.

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Yes, to each his own. I started out with an eGo from day one. I did research on this forum and had no desire to have a PV that looked like an analog.

From watching this forum, it seems that those who stay with e-cigs that look like analogs long term are the exception. I think that once you get past the mindset that "I am a smoker using e-cigs to quit" to "I am a vaper who enjoys vaping for what it is", the need for your device to physically resemble an analog cigarette goes away.

Personally, I would not be caught dead with a cigarette lookalike. I am not a smoker and don't want to look like one. However, if a cig lookalike helps you quit smoking, more power to you.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
again i just read a newbs question asking for something that looks like an analog because they only smoke socially and both responses were "buy an ego".

can people stop pushing what they like on all the new users and actually pay attention to what the user is looking for? we may as well just pull down the site and put up a page that merely says "buy an ego. it doesn't matter what you want".

sorry if i'm beating a dead horse but come on, what use would somebody who wants an analog look-alike for when they smoke socially have with an ego? not everything is one size fits all.

One of the original post suggesting an Ego was from me. What the OP failed to mention, and may not have read was that I also suggested a KR808 if the person was set on something that looked like a real cig. Those suggestions come from my experience as a newb looking for the best bang for the buck. And I stand by my suggestions.

I am still a newb myself and I went through the "Looks like an analog" phase at first. I spent over $100 buying stuff that looks like analogs only to find out that I really prefer my Riva because it is more convenient to not charge batteries all day. I wish I had listened to people who suggested the Ego or Riva as my first PV and I was just sharing my opinion.

That is what this forum is for and no one here that I have encountered pushes an opinion or suggestion that they think is a bad idea. I understand where the OP of this thread is coming from but in the end it is up to each newb to buy what they want. Those of us that have been there and done that will share our experiences. The majority of those experiences that I have seen would dictate that a bigger battery is a better choice from the start regardless of previous smoking style or frequency.

We are all here trying to help. Calling out people for suggesting what has worked for them will just cut down on the number of people that are willing to help.

Sense Field

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
Nomad
I'm knee deep in eGo land right now. I'm using the Janty eGo, the Inferno, the T-Rex and the PigCig...

I'm loving all of them...because they are all so similar.

I'm testing all these for reviews...but honestly...none of these are units are good to start out vaping on. I don't care if they are awesome.

Does anyone remember what their mindset was when they first started vaping? Mine was "I need to find something that looks and feels like a cigarette but isn't a cigarette and won't kill me"

Of course...that lead to trying other products...but I really find it stupid that everyone jumps into the newb forum and act like the solution for all vapers is an eGo.

it's not...we are hobbiest...we try pretty much everything out there...but if we want "our" industry to become mainstream...we aren't going to get there by recommending an eGo to every single person just looking to get off of Analogs.

Brat

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2010
Berlin, CT
I don't know what to really say here, you all have far more experience than myself.

However, if someone had recommended an eGo to me when I first started vaping, I probably would've failed miserably. I think the main reason I am doing so well with my Joye 510...is that it LOOKS and sorta FEELS like an analog...without being an analog. Actually I can't say that LOL my two 510's are blue and pink respectively, and the cartridge markers I use are all pastel colors! LOL Very girlie.

But it is very very true, to each his/her own, and I may change at a later date...but so far the 510 has not failed me :D

Hygroscopic

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
United States
Of course...that lead to trying other products...but I really find it stupid that everyone jumps into the newb forum and act like the solution for all vapers is an eGo.

it's not...we are hobbiest...we try pretty much everything out there...but if we want "our" industry to become mainstream...we aren't going to get there by recommending an eGo to every single person just looking to get off of Analogs.

The choir singing in the background while reading that post is beautiful. Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

TypeO, don't feel "Called out" because recommending an 808 and sidenoting about the eGo is how it would be done right. Stress info on what they asked for, then add other notes.

For others who don't seem to get it that eGo is not a one-size-fits-all:

Stop sending people asking for Chinese food to Taco Bell.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
It seems people are getting stuck on the newb thing here and thinking every new person who posts "that question" is clueless to what they really want. It's not always just new people seeking something "cigarette sized" or "cigarette-like". There are advantages to the small automatics. Just because you find no use for them does not mean they're useless to someone else.

Here, I'm going to start off a hypothetical, newb or non-newb, "what ecig is best for" round of questions as an example;

What's the best ecig to use while riding a Harley?
What's the best ecig to use while working on a car?
What's the best ecig to use while welding [whatever]?
I lost my hands in a combine accident. Whats the best ecig for me?

Ya, that last one sounds completely ridiculous but I'll bet my 5v box mod there would be at LEAST one "buy an eGo!" answer to it.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I advised buying one with a better battery life. Didn't say the eGo but that pretty much fits the bill and I have never used one.
The advice came from experience. They WILL get tired of charging batteries, just like me which is why I use Mods which is made from battery boxes which is so far away from what most will be willing to use starting out because it looks like a battery box.
The advice was to save them money, which we all want to do even when it's stated that price is no object.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It just occurs to me from reading some of the posts in this thread...

It is quite possible that many people don't know what it is like to be a very light smoker.
And it would probably never occur to them that a 510 battery can last a lot longer than they think.

I only used to smoke about 5 cigarettes per day, on average, before I started vaping.
And I used my 510s for about three months before I decided to buy a Chuck because I wanted something custom.

But if it weren't for the customization, I really had no interest or need to move up.
That's because two batteries would easily last me all day, and I sometimes made it though a whole day on just one battery.

A 510 with a PCC would be just fine for a lot of people.
And some might not even need the PCC either.

Hygroscopic

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
United States
Having said that, it is probably good to have a thread like this every month or so.

Just like recharging batteries.

Which batteries you ask?
finishhim.jpg

Fight it out among yourselves. :laugh:

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
I greatly reduced my smoking and even made it through my first month analog free with just a 510. I now mainly use an eGo and I'm really glad I got it, but it's nice sometimes to still use the 510 when I want something more stealthy. The main reason I got the eGo was because I was a heavy smoker (average 1.5-2pks/day) and with the amount I vape I was changing batteries every 1.5-2 hours. My eGo by far gets the most use and I have even gotten slip on covers to go over the button to make it pocket friendly but for a quick trip to the store or taking my dog for a short walk the 510 works well. I also like to keep a different flavor in each for variety. Al ot of times when I'm in front of the computer like now though when the battery in my 510 dies it does sometimes sit unused for quite awhile while I use my eGo. Also when I go to work or anywhere that I will be gone for a few hours or more I take my eGo with a mega carto, and that is all I need.
In this case where the OP is a social smoker something like a 510 or a KR808 might very well be all they need.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
TypeO, don't feel "Called out" because recommending an 808 and sidenoting about the eGo is how it would be done right. Stress info on what they asked for, then add other notes.

Ha, thanks. I didn't necessarily mean just me. I really don't care if people call me out. I meant it more on a general level. If people get called out for sharing information they feel is helpful, they may be less likely to care about sharing their opinions in the future. I myself will continue to try and help anyone I can because I really believe in this vaping stuff.
:)

For others who don't seem to get it that eGo is not a one-size-fits-all:
Stop sending people asking for Chinese food to Taco Bell.

All restaurants are Taco Bell
:laugh:

It's all good

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Couldn't agree more that there is no one size fits all answer for which e-cig is best for all new vaporers. Just like there is no one size fits all answer as to if one should use carts, cartos, or dripping. I try to respond to a newbies question based on the info they have given which often does mean reading a bit between the lines to actually attempt to give a good recommendation.

The thing is so many that have been vaping for over a month have found that their first e-cig is not what they prefer after vaping for a few weeks and do regret their first purchase so their answer really is based on trying to help the newbie avoid what they consider a waste of money. The thing they doesn't realize is that many are happy with their first purchase even if its not an ego(or similiar).

Firefly13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Oklahoma, USA
www.blackvelvetjuice.com
A KR8 XL battery is 380mah, 2 of those is not bigger than an eGo in your pocket and the 2 of them outlast a regular eGo / Riva battery, it takes what 5 seconds to switch to another battery ? I still use mine all the time out and about, i like the cig style PV's. I use my mods for long trips or chain vaping at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread