Status
Not open for further replies.

pmos69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Portugal
LOL! read thru the posts in here - and I have to say - having found an analog-sized device after reviewing and researching threads in ECF (as a lurker) - then, posting my experience as a first post on ECF was a BIG mistake... I should've held my tongue. I gotta say folks, even though what I found worked well for me, I sure did feel like an idiot for not buying an Ego, which kinda hurt, well, er -- my ego. ;-)

But, I'm over that now -- and, in the words of one of our biggest Danish posters MichelleDen - "hands free with my itty-bitty pv...!", I have to say I really do like my itty bitties (for now). I'm still learning the landscape, however... and, if I could just hit my $$ break even point (which has now been delayed until 02/08/2011 - cuz, I fried my 808 PT, non-Bloog of course) ---

:)
Glad you got over that.
I also think big battery dildos are not everyone's lunch.
(And as a 1st device to replace analogs, even less)

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I can understand the OP's point to a degree, but people come here to get the opinions of those who have more experience than they do. I started off with an analog look-a-like and I hated it. It took me six months and eight different PVs before I figured out what's perfect for me. I've spent well over $1000 on equipment getting to this point. If you ask me a question, I'm going to answer it with the backing of my experience. I won't tell someone "don't get a PV that looks like a cigarette" but I will tell them what to expect and why they may want to consider something else instead. Same for the eGo which I personally don't find very satisfying even with an LR atty.

People in my social circle have started calling me the "vaporizer master." I've gotten several of them started with their equipment. After hearing my spiel about the various options, not a single one of them has gotten an analog look-a-like. Not a single one of them has gotten an eGo either. Every one of them is happy and still vaping.

Griffin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
When I first started lurking here, all of six weeks ago, my only experience was with V4L 808's and I kept seeing all of the suggestions to get an eGo, so I did. Then I spent a week trying to figure out why it tasted so nasty and trying to fix it / break it in. Then I bought my first bottles of juice and different cartridges and cartomizers to try to get it to work in a way that I liked. And then alternate atomizers and adapters and syringes to fill all of the weird stuff I'd bought and couldn't figure out how to fill. And then an eGo-T atomizer and eGo-T tanks (yes, I'm still trying to get it to work decently).

And now, $200+ and many hours later, all of that stuff is sitting in a box, unused, because it's just too much of a pain to fart around with all the time.

In the meantime, I've discovered some other systems that work well for me and I'm a happy camper.

I don't actually mind the investment in the eGo because, as someone who is in a position to make a lot of converts to vaping, it's good to have the experience and know how that system works. As a noob on ECF though, it definitely seems to me that it gets recommended way to often to folks who either aren't ready for it or clearly want something that the eGo isn't. If I had started with the eGo, I highly doubt that I would still be vaping now.

(And, I don't mean to pick on the eGo; clearly it's worked great for a lot of people. It just happens to be the one bad piece of advice that I, personally, have taken away from the ECF, so far.)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I can understand the OP's point to a degree, but people come here to get the opinions of those who have more experience than they do. I started off with an analog look-a-like and I hated it. It took me six months and eight different PVs before I figured out what's perfect for me. I've spent well over $1000 on equipment getting to this point. If you ask me a question, I'm going to answer it with the backing of my experience. I won't tell someone "don't get a PV that looks like a cigarette" but I will tell them what to expect and why they may want to consider something else instead. Same for the eGo which I personally don't find very satisfying even with an LR atty.

People in my social circle have started calling me the "vaporizer master." I've gotten several of them started with their equipment. After hearing my spiel about the various options, not a single one of them has gotten an analog look-a-like. Not a single one of them has gotten an eGo either. Every one of them is happy and still vaping.

Good advice! Most inexperienced vapers (understandably so) confuse "looks" with performance. I like to ask: Would you rather have your PV look like an analog or have the "inhaled feel" of an analog? You can't have both.

BTW, I've vaped on 15+ PV's over the last two years and got to try the new variable volt "Darwin" last night. I believe it is the new "Gold Standard" in PV's. Here's what I posted in another thread about the Darwin:

"I can say this really does seem to be (excuse the expession in honor of me) a "dummy proof" PV. The internal circuitry automatically adjusts the power level based on the characteristics of the atomizer/cartomizer. We all know that as you use an atomizer, the quality of the vape diminishes due to the batteries becoming weaker and the resistence within the atty changing. The Darwin compenstates automatically for these changes which is what provides the excellent consistency for hours of vaping. Although I can't verify this, several users stated that you can definitely get 24 hours of vaping without recharging and several have gotten 2 full days on a charge. And since the batteries are internal and charged just like a pass-through, there is no need to buy or carry extra batteries with this PV.

I think the Darwin is a definite "game changer" in the world of vaping. Being able to have each inhale feel like a brand new atty on fresh batteries for hours is the real selling point. And since it comes with the longest warranty in the business (2 years), it appears to be a very safe purchase and worth the cost."

You may want to check it out. It's sold by nhaler.com.

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
Thanks for this discussion. As someone new to vaping (12/25/10) I found that the most helpful threads were the ones that gave pros and cons for whatever product they were recommending. Something that I thought was a pro (like cartomizers and cigarette-looking) are often a con for veteran Vapers. Even knowing the "right" questions to ask is a milestone for someone like me in this forum.

I'm glad that there are so members who take into consideration the needs and fears and expectations of noobies like me.

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI
Good advice! Most inexperienced vapers (understandably so) confuse "looks" with performance. I like to ask: Would you rather have your PV look like an analog or have the "inhaled feel" of an analog? You can't have both.

It's not always about the "look" of an analog. This is one of those assumptions I was talking about. Sometimes it's about the "feel" of an analog. I love my KR808s. They're in all sorts of colors and don't "look" anything like an analog cigarette but the feel is pretty darn similar and that's extremely important to me. When I want a "cigarette" I want it to feel like a cigarette because that helps calm me and stop the craving. It's not even as much about the nicotine as it is about the habit. I don't want it to look or taste like a cigarette but without that similar feel, I wouldn't be happy. I'm SURE I am not the only one that feels this way, based on the fact that there are plenty of veterans who aren't looking to "upgrade." I also get plenty of performance with it. Each inhale fills my lungs and the cloud of vapor I exhale is FAR more smoke than exhaled with an analog. Why does it have to be more than that? For me, and plenty of others, it doesn't!

Another assumption I see all the time is the idea that "good" (or better) throat hit is always a positive thing. As a newbie, all this talk I see of this convinced me that as a former heavy smoker, I needed it. WRONG! If my first vendor hadn't included a sample pack of various nic levels because I asked for it so I had a few low level nic strengths to work with, I might not have given it a second chance. I cough, hack & gag on "good" throat hit and learned to go to lower nic and higher VG instead.

Finally, what's with all the insistence that the only answer to the issue of "longer battery life" is a fat-batt or mod (ok, occasionally someone will say something about a PCC). A KR808 battery doesn't cost much. About the same as 2-3 packs of analogs, where I come from (would have been less than 2 days of smoking for me). When we smoked, we carried around at least one pack of up to 20 cigarettes at all times. Why is is a big deal to buy an extra battery or two and carry 3 or 4 that feel like analogs around if 3-4 hrs each with two batteries (standard starter kits) isn't enough and you don't want to charge more than once a day (or night)?

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI

I completely see your point. However, my point is that not everybody has the same goal or expectations from vaping and to assume that they will follow your path because they will ultimately want what you do is presumptuous (though understandably so, since it comes from your experience). We have to remember that even the new vaper often doesn't know exactly what's going to be important to him or her until he or she actually starts trying out available options and where they find themselves settled in & comfortable is not necessarily where you or I would. That's why I say answer the question literally and let them find their own journey. It is not a waste of money if they come back here for more research or advice if they find that they didn't actually want what they thought they did - and since they obviously found the ECF forum to ask in the first place, they will.

I want to add that I appreciate and agree with your comment about offering various options to consider with a rationale behind it, as long as it's not overwhelming for somebody who's new to it all.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
It's not always about the "look" of an analog. This is one of those assumptions I was talking about. Sometimes it's about the "feel" of an analog. I love my KR808s. They're in all sorts of colors and don't "look" anything like an analog cigarette but the feel is pretty darn similar and that's extremely important to me. When I want a "cigarette" I want it to feel like a cigarette because that helps calm me and stop the craving. It's not even as much about the nicotine as it is about the habit. I don't want it to look or taste like a cigarette but without that similar feel, I wouldn't be happy. I'm SURE I am not the only one that feels this way, based on the fact that there are plenty of veterans who aren't looking to "upgrade." I also get plenty of performance with it. Each inhale fills my lungs and the cloud of vapor I exhale is FAR more smoke than exhaled with an analog. Why does it have to be more than that? For me, and plenty of others, it doesn't!

Another assumption I see all the time is the idea that "good" (or better) throat hit is always a positive thing. As a newbie, all this talk I see of this convinced me that as a former heavy smoker, I needed it. WRONG! If my first vendor hadn't included a sample pack of various nic levels because I asked for it so I had a few low level nic strengths to work with, I might not have given it a second chance. I cough, hack & gag on "good" throat hit and learned to go to lower nic and higher VG instead.

Finally, what's with all the insistence that the only answer to the issue of "longer battery life" is a fat-batt or mod (ok, occasionally someone will say something about a PCC). A KR808 battery doesn't cost much. About the same as 2-3 packs of analogs, where I come from (would have been less than 2 days of smoking for me). When we smoked, we carried around at least one pack of up to 20 cigarettes at all times. Why is is a big deal to buy an extra battery or two and carry 3 or 4 that feel like analogs around if 3-4 hrs each with two batteries (standard starter kits) isn't enough and you don't want to charge more than once a day (or night)?

I'm glad you like what you have and don't mind paying $12-$20 for a battery instead of $3.50 and that throat hit is not important to you. When you have been vaping as long as the veterians have been and have read thousands of posts on this topic, you will realize that you are in the vast minority. So when someone comes on here and asks for better throat hit, more consistency and better battery life, recommending a 180 - 200 mAh battery device is not helpful. When a new person is vaping on 16mg e-liquid and tells us they are having a hard time getting off the analogs, telling them you are doing fine with 12mg liquid does not help them. You are the exception. It's not an accident that the majority prefer models with better batteriers and the new models coming out left and right all have better batteries. Your limited experience and preference does not track with how vaping has been progressing over the two years I have been on this forum and vaping.

Last edited:

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
When you have been vaping as long as the veterians have been and have read thousands of posts on this topic, you will realize that you are in the vast minority.

False. blucigs alone pulled $30 million in sales in 2010 alone. nJoy and Smoke51 were even bigger. "Mod" users are the minority. "Big battery" users are the minority. ECF, currently near 52,000 members (near 8,000 active), is a mere drop in the bucket considering an estimated 20,000 - 30,000 people a WEEK pick up an e-cig kit...and it's definitely NOT a "mod" or "big battery" device.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
JonnyVapΣ;2583445 said:
False. blucigs alone pulled $30 million in sales in 2010 alone. nJoy and Smoke51 were even bigger. "Mod" users are the minority. "Big battery" users are the minority. ECF, currently near 52,000 members (near 8,000 active), is a mere drop in the bucket considering an estimated 20,000 - 30,000 people a WEEK pick up an e-cig kit...and it's definitely NOT a "mod" or "big battery" device.

Two points: first, I was referring to the majority on this and other vaping sites, not the overall population.

Second, considering that Blu, SE and Njoy are the bottom feeders in performance in the vaping world, all your statistics prove is something that we have all known for decades: a good marketing campaign is very effective in getting unsuspecting people to buy crap products.

So you inferring that Blu or SE are the best PV's on the market based on how many are sold, is simply laughable.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
JonnyVapΣ;2584323 said:
Believe it or not, some people are perfectly happy with those products.

I believe the majority are not and the rest have no comparison points to make an informed judgement. I personally have met 10 Blu or SE users who told me that they went back to smoking because those PV's didn't work and that vaping in general from this experience is just a scam. These are the people that are doomed to smoking because these devices are the only ones with a high profile. I guess I could have told them that there must be something wrong with them since so many people have bought those brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread