Status
Not open for further replies.

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
All of you trying to be novel are keeping mall kiosks, and companies like Blu in business. On the plus side, you are also helping keep drawers across the world stuffed with cheap toy cigs that will barely be used, as well as probably turning quite a few noobs away from vaping and back to the cig. Big ups for originality though.

What is wrong with giving a newb what they are asking for? There is no "one" model that is right for everyone. Do you think a person is suppose to choose a model because "you" think it's best? If they are fine with paying the heavier prices to get the type of model they are looking for, let them. Who are we to say it's wrong? There are plenty of suppliers that still sell cigarette style RN4081's that are not affiliated with Blu or mall kiosks.
If a person wants to start out with a pv that looks like a cigarette, then recommend a cigarette style pv. If you've never used one or can't recommend one then simply don't contribute to the thread.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
There are people that buy analog-like e-cigs from mall kiosks that are junk and later upgrade to an ego. There are also people like me that prefer 2 510 batteries with a PCC over an ego and I'm very glad I didn't listen to the "get an ego" BS.

It's hard for anyone to follow up "all of you..." with a intellectually considerable argument o_O

Maybe for you.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
What is wrong with giving a newb what they are asking for? There is no "one" model that is right for everyone. Do you think a person is suppose to choose a model because "you" think it's best? If they are fine with paying the heavier prices to get the type of model they are looking for, let them. Who are we to say it's wrong? There are plenty of suppliers that still sell cigarette style RN4081's that are not affiliated with Blu or mall kiosks.
If a person wants to start out with a pv that looks like a cigarette, then recommend a cigarette style pv. If you've never used one or can't recommend one then simply don't contribute to the thread.

I've had the Blu, and the 510. Can I contribute now? Owning both, I'd have to say the Blu is undefendable regardless of how sweet it looks. Owning a 510, I must say it looks nothing like a real cig. Do you really think so? If that's true, we can stop here.

Who are we to say its wrong? Experienced. That's why the noobs ask us things.

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
If everyone who is posting to me at this time, would remember one of my earlier posts that said you are in the 10 percentile. Nothing wrong with that. But I would be screwing a noob over if I recommended something only 10 percent prefer.

Look guys, I'm not trying to attack anyone or what they prefer personally. I hope that is understood. Some times in a debate there can be a fine line, even in a mini vs battery mod debate (never thought I would be saying that).

Last edited:

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
I've had the Blu, and the 510. Can I contribute now? Owning both, I'd have to say the Blu is undefendable regardless of how sweet it looks. Owning a 510, I must say it looks nothing like a real cig. Do you really think so? If that's true, we can stop here.

they were not asking for something that looks like a 510, they were asking for something that looks like a cigarette. I've never used a Blu and I've never heard a good thing about it. And I'm sorry you spent money on a crap pv. But there are other worthy analog looking pv's out there.
The point is, the person wants a pv that "looks" like an analog. And what he's getting are replies telling him to buy everything but. Whatever his reasons are, it's what he wants.

BsgD68

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
Fallbrook, CA
I know in my case, ever since I got my new 6v PV, I just want to tell everyone to forget about analog like units. Save yourself a bunch of time and money, and regardless of what you think you want, just get what I have and don't look back. But understandably, that approach rubs people the wrong way and should be avoided. I agree with the OP, questions should actually be answered with perhaps a friendly suggestion at the end.

Pez

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I can see both sides of this. I got most of my friends hooked on 510's and kr8's. I started on a 510 and quickly moved up to box mods. Most of my friends either went back to cigs or are using box mods I made for them. The small battery just wasn't enough for them to use efficiently often enough to be a real replacement for them or me. I say if someone really wan'ts a small model then fine they can always move up to a mod later. I don't care for the Ego because the switch can go out on them if you use a LR atty.
Alas, some wisdom. I screwed around with gas station types. Did they let me cut down on smoking? Heck no. Maybe a few sticks is all. Then I did get an Ego, cut back a little more. Yes I am now looking at mods more seriously. Looked at them beforeI got the Ego. The smaller units did not produce, nor let me non stop change batteries. Would I have got a mod to begin with? No, was a dollar sign on hoping I could quit. Still that learning curve. When I get a mod am I going to screw up some hardware? Yes I will. If someone is smoking maybe less than 5 cigs a day then an auto maybe. Over that then at least a 510. I am glad when I first posted people asked how much and what kind I smoked. I tried a Blu, and I would of been ...... and gone back to smoking. Just as I did with the gas station types. I lurked in these forums for months before I joined and asked what I should start with. Sorry for the rant. Newbies thoughts.

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
If everyone who is posting to me at this time, would remember one of my earlier posts that said you are in the 10 percentile. Nothing wrong with that. But I would be screwing a noob over if I recommended something only 10 percent prefer.

Look guys, I'm not trying to attack anyone or what they prefer personally. I hope that is understood. Some times in a debate there can be a fine line, even in a mini vs battery mod debate (never thought I would be saying that).

I agree that most people do prefer an ego but the "forget what you think you want and get an ego" line is garbage. Some of us do have professional jobs in where pulling out an ego and vaping is just not acceptable from an image standpoint. Also, whenever I've used a mod in public at a bar or something I get a lot of dirty looks and questions. With my white 510 auto and a cartomizer, a couple at most. Sure, if everyone was blind I would prefer an ego. The fact of the matter is that people judge and some of us dont want to be judged. For me, it's a simple fact. It's not acceptable for me to vape an ego at work. Whether I like it or not, there is still a lot of assumptions and fear regarding un-analog like PVs.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

+1 good points!

atom48

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Colorado
again i just read a newbs question asking for something that looks like an analog because they only smoke socially and both responses were "buy an ego".

can people stop pushing what they like on all the new users and actually pay attention to what the user is looking for? we may as well just pull down the site and put up a page that merely says "buy an ego. it doesn't matter what you want".

sorry if i'm beating a dead horse but come on, what use would somebody who wants an analog look-alike for when they smoke socially have with an ego? not everything is one size fits all.

I agree. I commend those people who even contemplate vaping as an easier way to quit smoking, as smoking nowadays carries enough stigma as it is. While I do vape on an eGo now, I would not have at first. So, I would initially have recommended something along the white KR8/carto type of ecig that would have better simulated an analog "smoking experience," but with more satisfaction than something like an RN4081. There's a whole psycho-social experience one has to go through before moving to something as different (looking and feeling) as even an eGo or yet a mod of some sort. The noob will probably get there in the long run, but it's that first hurdle that counts, and no one initially wants anything to make them standout any more than they already do as a smoker.

LM1

Oct 4, 2010
lalaland
I've not read the thread, but it's still been pretty recent that I was the newest one of the hour.

I now feel that I got lucky in listening to people telling me to get an ego right off the bat. I was one of those newbies that wanted a tobacco tasting, cigarette looking pv. Auto of course! I don't need no stinkin' buttons! I had gotten a couple different types from local tobacco stores, however getting refills for them was a problem. No, I sure as hell don't want to deal with filling it, no way! Just give me disposable cartridges....

But they told me to look at ego anyway, considering my two packs/day habit, that I wouldn't regret it, etc etc. With quite a bit of trepidation, trusing people who only seemed to be knowledgeable (but were they really?), and looking at some videos, I ordered a kit. After all, it wasn't even as much as a week's worth of smokes.

Hmmm, not too bad. Oh, I can just drop more into the cartridges? Well, I haven't looked back in something like two months now. I didn't know that I didn't want what I thought I wanted, but fortunately I listed to the experienced people here that knew it. But if I'd not had those tobacco store models, I might have been put off.

However, I might have also recommended an auto white 510 with a red led AND a good look at Mistress Nomad's videos for newbies. That's what really converted me to not worrying so much about exactly replacing analogs. A 510 will not last long enough for all but light smokers, and in short order a newbie would want to upgrade. But by then it would have been easy enough to move up to an ego and keep the 510 as a spare. I actually keep two 510s on me as spares in my little case most of the time and I charge them every week or two whether I used them or not.

I'm just glad you all are here!! I recently got down to a half a pack of analogs, down from two packs a day!! Thank you all for your support and help :)

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
There are lots of different types of PVs for the lots of different types of vapers. I read about the different brands and types of devices before I made my first purchase, and as stupid as it sounds, I still bought something that looked like a cigarette because I was self-conscious about the whole change from analogs. I was afraid of looking like I had some kind of pot smoking device, or that it looked like a cigar, especially considering I planned on sharing with my wife. So I made the decision to buy my first e-cig based on a review I read, which was probably bogus, in hindsight. It was a terrible PV. But it looked like a cigarette!

After reading this forum site for a couple of weeks, I decided to switch to something more functional, but that still resembled a cigarette is size. There was a totally logical reason for this, and I think it's very valid for newbies to vaping. The smoking habit is not just a nicotine addiction, and not just an urge for "throat hit" or flavor. It's a hand-to-mouth habit, it's having that familiar thing in your fingers to play with, and it's having it in your mouth while your hands are busy. So to me, the 510 was the logical choice, and it's still my favorite two months later. Yes, I now have an eGo as well, but I use the 510 cartomizers with it, and I usually use the 510 automatic batteries. I still like the familiar size and shape of the cigarette. Color doesn't matter much, but all my batts and cartos are black, not white like a cigarette.

The changing batteries thing? What's the big deal? I own about 8 510 automatic batteries, and several chargers. I take two batts to work and while one is charging, I'm vaping the other. Every couple of hours I have to switch. Is this somehow harder than having to go outside to smoke? Is this harder than emptying ashtrays or finding a place to extinguish a .... in public without littering? Is it harder to switch batteries than to open a pack of cigs? I think not.

If I were to advise a newbie on what to buy, it would be genuine Joyetech 510 batteries and prefilled Joye 510 cartomizers. I'd advise them to stock up on prefilled cartos to start with and save the empties because someday soon they'll want to learn how to refill them with different e-juices. Then if the switching of 510 batteries every couple of hours is wearing them out, they can buy an eGo battery and still use their 510 cartos.

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
they were not asking for something that looks like a 510, they were asking for something that looks like a cigarette. I've never used a Blu and I've never heard a good thing about it. And I'm sorry you spent money on a crap pv. But there are other worthy analog looking pv's out there.
The point is, the person wants a pv that "looks" like an analog. And what he's getting are replies telling him to buy everything but. Whatever his reasons are, it's what he wants.

Good point. However a 510 is much more similar to a cigarette than an ego. With a 510 people realize "thats one of those e-cigs". With an ego people think "oh wow, hes smoking crack!" I have experience this a few times and it is really uncomfortable.

bruther

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Northern Kentucky
I wish I had listened to the ego pushers, when I was buying my first e-cig. I got the 510 and it was good enough to stop smoking, but it wasn't good enough to keep me from starting again. I got an ego after four days and it's kept me from smoking for almost two months now. I hope they keep pushing the egos and rivas, because they are giving people a better chance at quitting.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Going to stray a little off-topic here. After reading all of these posts it seems a little reality check is due.

Those who think the big battery PV's are the "norm" are gravely mistaken. If you are generalizing your "research" through forum posts on ECF and the smaller "e-cig" forums you are severely lacking real-world information. Simply stating the blu and RN4081 style "e-cigs" are not popular and/or stating "most people are using big battery 'mods'" shows a lack of simple research on your part. Even if 10,000 people posted their dislike for the blu here that wouldn't even compare to the millions sold and wouldn't represent proof of a "bad product". There are roughly 50,000 registered members here on ECF with roughly 7,000 active users. A drop in the bucket in terms of "the electronic cigarette community". In fact, it's almost nothing. Understand this, while this may be the largest community you are currently a part of, ECF is a tiny representation of the global "electronic cigarette" market. It is currently estimated that 20,000 to 30,000 people a WEEK buy an electronic cigarette. I can guarantee the majority of these sales are not an eGo or any other big battery mod. In fact, I would venture to say all the big battery devices sold combined don't equal to blu's sales alone (which is about $30 MILLION this year). The RN4081 and it's derivatives outsell even the blu.

Stop basing "facts" on the opinionswritten by others on this and other forums. The correct information is out there if you simply do a little research.

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
I agree with the OP.

I started with a blu about the second week in 4/10. Since I was new to vaping and the blu I was just looking for tips. Now you can imagine with the blu how many times I heard send it back. I just wanted to get the most out of it. It was like pulling teeth to better my blu. I experienced that on the blu forum, so That's when I came here, hence my join date. After I joined here I got a 510 with pcc then moved on to mods. So much has changed since I started just 7 months ago. But guess what?, The 306 becomes popular, so they start selling 306 cartos. Now I can use my blu and be happy.

I enjoy my mods and eGo... but I really enjoy a super mini with cartos for public use and very little fuss.

Cartos have come a long way too.

I understand why the eGo is "pushed" so much and that's due to price. Why get a 510 with a pcc when you can get an eGo for less?

We do need to listen to what people want and try to help them with what they are looking for.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
again i just read a newbs question asking for something that looks like an analog because they only smoke socially and both responses were "buy an ego".

can people stop pushing what they like on all the new users and actually pay attention to what the user is looking for? we may as well just pull down the site and put up a page that merely says "buy an ego. it doesn't matter what you want".

sorry if i'm beating a dead horse but come on, what use would somebody who wants an analog look-alike for when they smoke socially have with an ego? not everything is one size fits all.

I agree with what I think is the general point here-- that some of us (myself included at times) have a tendency to preach a "you must vape the way I vape" sermon to newcomers, sometimes beyond the bounds of useful advice. I remember early on here finding myself initially intimidated but after further reflection, annoyed, by somebody trying to convince everybody that seeking a juice flavor that tasted like a cigarette was not only futile (which it is) but somehow morally wrong. Yet I cannot recall even once telling a less experienced smoker that they really ought to move away from Marlboro Lights in favor of the obviously superior Reds.

BTW, I suspect if anybody ever harnesses a way to do multi-hour battery storage in a cigarette-sized, lightweight unit, our eGos and big mods will probably be consigned to Jurassic Vape. There is something insidiously right about the size and design of a cigarette.

kevbow

Unregistered Supplier
May 27, 2009
CT
teatimeliquid.com
JonnyVapΣ;2250805 said:
Going to stray a little off-topic here. After reading all of these posts it seems a little reality check is due.

Those who think the big battery PV's are the "norm" are gravely mistaken. If you are generalizing your "research" through forum posts on ECF and the smaller "e-cig" forums you are severely lacking real-world information. Simply stating the blu and RN4081 style "e-cigs" are not popular and/or stating "most people are using big battery 'mods'" shows a lack of simple research on your part. Even if 10,000 people posted their dislike for the blu here that wouldn't even compare to the millions sold and wouldn't represent proof of a "bad product". There are roughly 50,000 registered members here on ECF with roughly 7,000 active users. A drop in the bucket in terms of "the electronic cigarette community". In fact, it's almost nothing. Understand this, while this may be the largest community you are currently a part of, ECF is a tiny representation of the global "electronic cigarette" market. It is currently estimated that 20,000 to 30,000 people a WEEK buy an electronic cigarette. I can guarantee the majority of these sales are not an eGo or any other big battery mod. In fact, I would venture to say all the big battery devices sold combined don't equal to blu's sales alone (which is about $30 MILLION this year). The RN4081 and it's derivatives outsell even the blu.

Stop basing "facts" on the opinionswritten by others on this and other forums. The correct information is out there if you simply do a little research.
I second this, nicely said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread