Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I agree with lightgeoduck. Zen's post is too extreme. The help of a 95 days vaper would not be equal to that of a veteran.

I didn't realize this is rocket surgery. Damn...where are the vapers with over 10 years experience...the ''veterans". Oh...there aren't any.

C'mon now. These are modified flashlights. Not hard to figure out.

enree

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Malaysia
I did not mean my post to be personal.

Zen, for suggesting that you have made several attempt means its praise worthy - something some smokers would not even think of. But actually I did not see the relevancy of the 'noob and ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert'. Its appears to be an advertisment or propaganda. It could be understood both ways. Sorry if you feel offended.

JonnyVapΣ - It is not difficult to calculate the number of years that someone has been smoking and then began vaping for a period longer than me. What would you call an ederly person, say 60, who have stopped smoking a couple of years and is now vaping?

Last edited:

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
A KR8 XL battery is 380mah, 2 of those is not bigger than an eGo in your pocket and the 2 of them outlast a regular eGo / Riva battery, it takes what 5 seconds to switch to another battery ? I still use mine all the time out and about, i like the cig style PV's. I use my mods for long trips or chain vaping at home.

JonnyVapΣ;2253728 said:
I didn't realize this is rocket surgery. Damn...where are the vapers with over 10 years experience...the ''veterans". Oh...there aren't any.

C'mon now. These are modified flashlights. Not hard to figure out.

Yes you are right it isn't rocket surgery, and yes 'veteran' doesn't necessarily make someone an expert in the vaping community or a know it all... and I know there are members here that have knowledge that I don't and have been vaping for a far shorter time, BUT there is likely a chance that an active veteran in the community that has tried a variety of hardware and follow the forums for an extended period to have some justifiable knowledge to share.

and No it's not hard to figure it out, but there is a few things that can help a newbee enjoy there experience.

Please understand I am not dismissing your view, because you are right, but I feel it doesn't mean that makes someone else wrong...especially where opinions are involved (misinformation is another story)

-----

I guess my whole point in posting in this thread is.. that just like it is a good Idea to be attentive on a persons request.. there is nothing wrong with offering up an opinion even if it slightly misses it's mark..

there really isn't a need for something to turn into a pissing match especially over minor misguided posts.... and to be honest even with the ego suggestion (for or against) 'Help threads' do still help, and that's not only for the OP of that thread... besides I think we are all grown up enough to beable to weed through the nonsense and gather what we really need.

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
Zen, for suggesting that you have made several attempt means its praise worthy - something some smokers would not even think of. But actually I did not see the relevancy of the 'noob and ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert'. Its appears to be an advertisment or propaganda. It could be understood both ways. Sorry if you feel offended.

The relevancy is that Zen's dramatization is pretty close to how the thread that the OP was referring to was going. There was some exaggeration to get the point across, but just a little.

Nixsdaddy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Bessemer City, NC
There's a large difference between helping out and shoving an eGo down their throats. Personally, I did start off with a Blu. Did I ask anyone here about what to get? Heck no. I was a lurker and seen all the eGo shoving that had been going on and people not listening to the noob. It's fine to suggest a personal opinion AFTER you deal with the task at hand.

At first, the main point is to get them off analogs. No matter how much they spend, it is still worth the price of your life. If it's a analog looking piece of equipment, then fine! That part is psychological and will be dealt with in time. For most people it is a phase that HAS to happen. Addiction for most of us is not only what is in the analog, but is the analog itself. But if the person just wants to try it because they are curious and have no thought of actual switching, then between the psychological premise of having an analog looking PV added to the "who cares" attitude, the majority of people will fail. The attitude of the necessity of switching for health reasons/cost savings/etc is a factor for a successful switch.

Over time though, yes I do agree a percentage of PV users will opt to go with a stronger battery, DIY juices, modding, etc. Why? Because they know now that they have used a piece of simple machinery to totally kick the analog habit they have had for years. The persons outlook on their PV choices opens up to a level where they can move away from the psychological addiction of an analog looking PV. For some, this step by step process IS necessary for success.

In closing, Give the new person looking for the information exactly what they are looking for. Nicely. Be as informative as humanly possible. I am not saying you cannot suggest an eGo/Riva/etc, but do it at the end of the post AFTER you give them the information they are looking for. And give them a list of pros and cons for each model. Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. Let them come to the conclusion of what they want based on TRUE information and not personal opinion. We were all new at one time. Lets start acting like informative adults.

Thanks for reading my rant.

enree

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Malaysia
The relevancy is that Zen's dramatization is pretty close to how the thread that the OP was referring to was going. There was some exaggeration to get the point across, but just a little.

I got that. Thanks. I try it from another angle. Despite the OP, people still gives their own opinion especially about their wonderful thing that they own. Yea its nothing to shout about but I think they are only expressing their wonderful feelings. Its like driving the very first time. But how do you prevent them from expressing their feelings I wonder?

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Give the new person looking for the information exactly what they are looking for. Nicely. Be as informative as humanly possible. I am not saying you cannot suggest an eGo/Riva/etc, but do it at the end of the post AFTER you give them the information they are looking for. And give them a list of pros and cons for each model. Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. Let them come to the conclusion of what they want based on TRUE information and not personal opinion. We were all new at one time. Lets start acting like informative adults.

Read that.
Commit it to memory.
Read it again.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Every single one of us was that newbie once. In my case, I went straight to a mod. Mrs. Doctor Vapenstein had similar criteria as the social smoker. Within 3 weeks she had ditched 510s and carts for an eGo USB passthrough and a drip tip and she's never looked back. I think most people will find this out on their own, but why not save them some money and make the argument for the eGo family? Nicest gateway PV there is. They can stick with it forever or get something cooler later.

I'm not trying to shove an eGo down anyone's throat. I want people to be successful, so I recommend hardware that will help them succeed.

Last edited:

enree

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Malaysia
JonnyVapΣ;2254295 said:
Read that.
Commit it to memory.
Read it again.

Precisely. Now how do you educate others to do just that? There are tons of expressions seemingly joyous over their eGo set and it keeps rolling in. Clearly they seems to express their excitement and they seem exaggerating. Should you stop them?

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
JonnyVapΣ;2250805 said:
Going to stray a little off-topic here. After reading all of these posts it seems a little reality check is due.

Those who think the big battery PV's are the "norm" are gravely mistaken. If you are generalizing your "research" through forum posts on ECF and the smaller "e-cig" forums you are severely lacking real-world information. Simply stating the blu and RN4081 style "e-cigs" are not popular and/or stating "most people are using big battery 'mods'" shows a lack of simple research on your part. Even if 10,000 people posted their dislike for the blu here that wouldn't even compare to the millions sold and wouldn't represent proof of a "bad product". There are roughly 50,000 registered members here on ECF with roughly 7,000 active users. A drop in the bucket in terms of "the electronic cigarette community". In fact, it's almost nothing. Understand this, while this may be the largest community you are currently a part of, ECF is a tiny representation of the global "electronic cigarette" market. It is currently estimated that 20,000 to 30,000 people a WEEK buy an electronic cigarette. I can guarantee the majority of these sales are not an eGo or any other big battery mod. In fact, I would venture to say all the big battery devices sold combined don't equal to blu's sales alone (which is about $30 MILLION this year). The RN4081 and it's derivatives outsell even the blu.

Stop basing "facts" on the opinionswritten by others on this and other forums. The correct information is out there if you simply do a little research.

Glad you needed to throw in some numbers for us. I love statistics (who doesn't? right?). Out of the 1000's who buy the cig looking e cigs, I wander how many go back to smoking very soon, or 'upgrade.' Bounce that number off the number of people who buy a Blu (or one like it), and fall in love, never needing or wanting another device. Crunch those numbers and get back to me.

Oh, you do realize the reason the RN4081 is such a top seller isn't because people like it, it's because you can buy them at a gas station. I would think that pretty much speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
Noob: Hi, I'm new here, and I'm looking for my first e-Cig, but I'm confused as there are so many choices... I'm looking for a...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: eGo... get an eGo... I'm going to save you a lot of time and money by telling you that you don't know what you want, because you're not a vaper... you're a smoker... I KNOW... I used to be a smoker, just like you.
Noob: Ummm... no... I want something that looks like a real cigarette, and I want something that's simple to use... like an...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Like I said... get an eGo... In a matter of days you wont care if the eGo looks like a crack pipe... it doesn't matter, because the eGo battery lasts a millenium, sometines longer
Noob: Yeah.. well... I need something a little less mechanical looking, and I only smoke a few cigarettes a day... so... back to my list... I want something that looks and feels like an analog, and has disposable cartridges.
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: You THINK you want those things, but in a week or less you'll wish I had given you this advice. Buy an eGo... I have one and I love it. The battery lasts for a day and a half, or longer, and you'll save a lot of money in the long run if you skip the cig-a-like and just go for the bigger battery... you'll thank me later.
Noob: Does the eGo come with disposable cartridges, or something similar?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: It comes with an atomizer, cartridges and a Cone, but you'll want to drip, so you won't need disposable ANYTHING, just by some juice, and an eGo and vape your way into nirvana... By the way, here's a link to the eGo... www.buyegofrommyfavoritesupplier.com
Noob: I probably don't want to deal with dripping...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: How do you KNOW what you want if you haven't tried it... the eGo has a SEALED BATTERY, so dripping won't damage the battery, it's THAT well made, and like I said... I have one and I love it... almost EVERY noob will eventually get one when they realize they blew their money on junk like the Blu. Seriously, the eGo is the way to go.
Noob: I'll never buy an eGo... I want something that looks like a real cigarette...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: I said that too when I first started, but I was as wrong THEN as you are TODAY
Noob:Rigggggght... OK, So which regular e-cig would you buy if you couldn't have the eGo?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: I would go back to Analogs, and you will too. The eGo is better than analogs... heck it's better than MOST things... it's better for you than food... I know... I've eaten food before.
Noob: What is the best performing e-cig that is NOT the eGo?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: They all suck... the ones that don't suck BLOW... the eGo doesn't blow OR suck... and you should get one.
Noob: Why?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Because they all SUCK, and the eGo doesn't
Noob: Is there an eCig that looks like a real cigarette?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: It would suck... just get the eGo, it makes great sauce
Noob: I wish I could get an answer to my question...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: I answered all your questions...
Noob: Really?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Yep... really.
Noob: I didn't seem to catch the answer... I want an eCig that looks like a real cigarette, automatic battery, and easy to change cartridges... which eCig BEST fits the bill...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: eGo,Vgo,Riva,Hello 1016...
Noob: But those don't look anything like a real cigarette...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: They don't have to... They have longer lasting batteries, which is what you want.
Noob: And they come with atomizers from most retailers... I want pre-filled Cartomizers, I think.
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Why would you do that? That's EXPENSIVE to throw cartos away, that's why the eGo is such a good value... You can drip for hours and not have to deal with changing cartomizers.
Noob: But I don't want to drip, plus, I usually smoke only when I drive, and when I'm out socially.
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Well you can drip and drive, because the eGo is such a handy size, it's got longer battery life than a 14500...
Noob: I'm not buying an eGo
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: It's a common noob mistake to ignore the best advice
Noob: Is it a common ECF mistake to not read or understand the actual question?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Hey look man, I'm trying to help... Horse--- water--- you know the rest
Noob: So you're helping by ignoring my question?
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Yes, because if I don't make you like what I actually like, then I have failed, and the eGo is the best mod in the world, and the RIGHT device for you... I know.... I was a noob once
Noob: But I want something that looks like a real cigarette
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: Sigh... I'm just trying to help
Noob: I know, thanks anyway...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: You'll see... the eGo will be in your collection eventually, and they now have a 900 mah, n 1300mah battery available too!
Noob: Well, that's good news...
ECF-Self-Proclaimed-Expert: I'm glad I could help!

This is sad/true and funny to anyone that's not the n00b looking for help.

I have seen way too many posts like this.

Too many new "experts"

I have tried things and think I have found the holy grail, then 2 days later I decide i don't care for it as much as something else.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Holy hell you guys are still not getting it. How can this be put any simpler?

I dunno...let's try this.

[Hypothetical situation]
Customer goes to a car dealer. They ask the salesman for something compact and good on gas. Their job is 2 miles away and the grocery store is just down the street. They average 3200 miles a year.

[The salesman puts on a big smile and walks them over to the 3/4 ton pickup trucks. He proceeds to tell them:]

Salesman; "This is what you really want". "You can pull a boat, you can pull a trailer, you can move half a house worth of lumber with this thing!" "Slow old people will fear you!"

Customer; But I have no interest in ever buying a boat.

Salesman; But when that day comes, you can!

Customer; I live in an apartment, I'd never own a trailer.

Salesman; But your friends might have trailers. You'll be their hero!

Customer; But I want something good on gas.

Salesman; This truck has the best gas mileage in it's class!
Salesman; I love this truck. I have one myself. I can run small animals over and not even notice! It comes with a 3yr/36,000mi warranty!

Customer; But in 3 years I'll have driven less than 10,000 miles. It doesn't really matter to me.

Salesman; 14 cup holders!!!

Customer; My drives are so short it doesn....

Salesman If you don't get this you'll regret it later!

Customer; I regret walking through that door.

Salesman; Noob.

Anything clicking yet?
Anything?
Bueller?

When I go to the hardware store and ask for a post hole digger they don't hand me an armload of TNT.
When I go to the grocery store for 1/2 a gallon of milk they don't hand me a cow.
When I go to the gas station they don't hitch up the tanker truck.
When I want a small ecig to take out to the bar once or twice a week I don't friggin want a big battery PV.

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
@Zen~ & @Bert since it sure seems like this post is directed at me, where did I ever, ever call myself an expert? For that matter, what was unreasonable with what I said regarding eGo family devices for new users?

Unfriendly and uncalled for.

Not talking about you. I promise.

There are many "experts" here.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Ok Bert thanks for clarifying, I looked through what I had said previously and didn't see anywhere where I was being an @55, so it rankled.

I get what JonnyVape is saying, and he's right. We're all in such a big hurry to share our experience and wave our opinions around that we don't listen very well to what people are asking sometimes. It's a good reminder that listening is the most important part of communicating.

Last edited:

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Oh, you do realize the reason the RN4081 is such a top seller isn't because people like it, it's because you can buy them at a gas station. I would think that pretty much speaks for itself.

You do realize making pointless points over and over and over is getting old.

ScottB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Goin' Mobile... eeh ooh, beep beep!
This has turned out to be a great thread. It has the potential to go on forever. Think about it.

This has turned into a discussion regarding opinions about opinions.

2 schools of thought spring to mind:

1. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

2. I have an opinion & everyone is entitled to it.

BTW, I agree with the OP & the Rochester boys. JMO.:2cool:

Nixsdaddy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Bessemer City, NC
Glad you needed to throw in some numbers for us. I love statistics (who doesn't? right?). Out of the 1000's who buy the cig looking e cigs, I wander how many go back to smoking very soon, or 'upgrade.' Bounce that number off the number of people who buy a Blu (or one like it), and fall in love, never needing or wanting another device. Crunch those numbers and get back to me.

How many members have we had, who are not even active any longer, get disgusted by everyone telling them to bypass what they need at the time for something everyone decides is best for them? We'll never know, just like your thoughts on the Blu. But please, go and try to find everyone to bounce those numbers off of. Let me know if you ever get done with that.

Now... How did that sound to you? Possibly angry or sarcastic, huh? But hey, it's just an opinion! And we all know what they say about opinions... They are like buttholes, everyone has one and they always stink. My entire time on this forum, I have noticed so much animosity between people and their personal opinions. Netiquette has been thrown out the window, and I believe that is why there is only 7000 active members. Adults acting like pathetic children just to make their point which of course is the "end all" to every single discussion no matter what it may be. I definitely do not mean everyone here, since there are some very nice and awesome people to talk with here.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Precisely. Now how do you educate others to do just that? There are tons of expressions seemingly joyous over their eGo set and it keeps rolling in. Clearly they seems to express their excitement and they seem exaggerating. Should you stop them?

I think that's the point of this thread, isn't it?

Was my post exagerated?... yes... but was it over the top? Perhaps if you think that it was, you should spend more time in the noob section. Last night alone, there were at least two noobs asking or advice and the FIRST reply was essentially, ditch what you have and buy an eGo... There are literally HUNDREDS of threads in the noob section wherein simple questions for advice turn into eGo advertisements.

And frankly, the eGo is, to me, Ugly, and much lower value than even an entry level mod with a 14500 battery. I HAVE a couple eGos because I was told I would NEVER need more, and it would outperform everything out there AND water my garden...

And I MAY be only doing this for less than a hundred days as has been stated, but there are those on this forum and in this thread that can testify to my depth of knowledge here, and additionally, I've owned over 60 PVs since I started this journey. By next weekend I will have owned just shy of 70...

The FIRST time I tried a mod with a 10440 battery in it I KNEW my eGo was a poor compromise... then for me came the 14500 mods... WOW... Kills an eGo flat out dead for performance. Not just battery life... There's more to it.

BUT, when a newb asks me for advice about which cig-a-like they should buy, I DO tell them they will have a change in needs as they walk down the path, but I ABSOLUTELY tell them about the benefits of 510/901/808 and even pen style...

My point in all of this is pretty simple... It's called paying attention to what a person is asking for...

Tourist: Can you tell me how to get to London?
Worldly Travel Expert: Once you go to london, you'll wish you were in France... Go to France instead... In France the women are wild, the food is exceptional and the Wine is SUBLIME! In London, bread pudding... yech... Yes... Go to France!

And with that, I think I'm out of this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread