Affects of tempature on juices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Last week touched up on what light does to juices, promised I'd do one just focusing on temp, so here goes. Placed 5ml's of gunslinger in the freezer at -1F for 5 days then let it thaw for about 6 hours. Second juice was No. 7. Orginally was just going to put it over my radiators for my computer, but couldn't get it to sit stabile. Instead had it sitting infront of one the heating vents which was blowing air at 134F. Aces & 8's came next sitting in a make shift hot box. Took a steel case polished it to a mirror finish and using a heat lamp would keep it around 165-175F inside. Would expose it to this heat about 4 hours a day, tasting after each session. Added a fourth item to the mix placing a 5ml bottle of Wow TT menthol (label says cowboy, but...) to the fridge at 37F.

Gunslinger- Freezing for a long period of time does hurt the flavor. The color hasn't changed, but the gone is the pipe tobacco taste, now it's more of a chewing tobacco with a side of akward after taste. Hasn't completely destroyed the flavor, but it's by no means right. Would not suggest freezing.

No. 7- 134 dgrees is enough to affect it. It's not completely off, but it's not right either. The throat hit has weakened, the chocolate is stronger, and gone is that complex note on the end. When raising the temp it brings flavors out it seems, and if there's a particularly dominantone, it pushes the other more subtle ones out.

Knowing how bad No. 7 was affected gives you an idea what going to go on with Aces... Day 1 (4 hours exposed to heat)- Taste was slightly more like a full body cigar than a medium. Still vapable though. Day 2 (8 hours)- The sweet after taste has become much more dominant. It's almost now a sugar coated stogie like flavor. Day 3 (12 hours)- What was a full bodied cigar now is getting just disgusting. Crud might be a good term, with super sweet after taste. Color has started to darken. Day 4 (16 hours)- Unvapable is all I can really say. Will get in trouble if I put down what it really tasted like. Day 5 (20 hours)- knowing how bad it was on day 4 knew what I was in for... It made day 4's taste decent in comparison. In other words, long exposure to high heat kills it.

Wow TT Menthol- Keeping it in the fridge didn't have too much affect on it. The menthol was a little sharper in comparison to the original bottle that has been kept between 55-82F, but nothing too really comment on. Don't know what the long term affects are, but will leave it in there for another month and test again.

All in all extreme cold and heat does affect the juices. If you live in texas or another hot sunny area with a metal mail box in the summer, suggest getting your juice out of there asap. Hope this helps. :)

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Good stuff Morandir, as always thank you for doing this testing. I was curious, was the Gunslinger frozen solid? I have read on the Dow Website that PG had a freezing point of 0 degrees. It's always been my understanding that the affects of extreme heat and cold are attributed to water in the flavorings. I've also read that fruit flavors are the most vulnerable to extreme temperatures. Something to do with esters that tend to hydrolyze turning into organic acids (sour wine) or organic alcohol (wet dog, funky taste).

Another added bonus for stalking the mailman in the summer and winter months!

Just can't ever thank you enough for all you do........:thumb:

krashnash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Austin, TX
All in all extreme cold and heat does affect the juices. If you live in texas or another hot sunny area with a metal mail box in the summer, suggest getting your juice out of there asap. Hope this helps. :)

I had a fair amount of experience with hot mailboxes this summer - given that we broke every record for heat here in Austin this year. I was paranoid enough at the beginning that I would rush home from work if I knew there was juice in the mailbox, but that was not always practical. From my experience, 3 or 4 hours in the mailbox did not seem to have much effect on my normal V4L juices. I imagine that the shelf-life might be ultimately be shorter, so that may be something to think about if you're ordering large quantities with the intention to store them for a long time, but to my palate, there wasn't a discernable difference in taste in most cases.

I *did*, however, have to toss a bottle of Wow 555 that arrived on a Friday but wasn't retrieved until Sunday evening. I'm not sure how hot the mailbox gets when it's 110 degrees outside, but 130-140 is probably a conservative estimate - and after being at that temperature for 2 1/2 days it was nasty. I also had cartos and a battery in that order, both of which had a severely shortened life-span compared to what I normally see. Those items were at that temperature for about 10 times a normal 3-4 hour stint in the mailbox, though.

I also noted something interesting with other juices (mixed-to-order stuff from other vendors). Namely, the necessity to steep the juice was greatly reduced, compared to how long it takes for fresh-mixed juice to blend and meld and become tasty now that temps are more moderate. "Out of the mailbox in July" is roughly equal to "sitting un-capped for a few days and in a dark cabinet for a week or two", at least for some of my juices.That may be something to consider for the new USA juice, given that it won't have the slow-boat-from-China steep time built in. Perhaps the changes you noted in you No. 7 are an acceleration of what may happen to that juice over time?

I wonder how much effect temperature has on the Chinese-made V4L juices in general - if the factory shuts down for a week-long holiday, is it temperature controlled then? Is there a temperature controlled shipping container? Or does it sit out on the deck of a container ship in the heat? I know that my postal-sort-facility here locally is not air-conditioned when it's not open, so if my juice arrives there on Saturday afternoon, it's going to sit in a hot back room until early Monday morning... It occurs to me that some of the variation in batches of certain juices could be do to conditions it is subjected to after production. Might be why some wowboys are more minty, or why some wow peppermint has harsher throat hit....

Just some thoughts - thanks Morandir, sir, for being curious enough to design these experiments, and for sharing the results with us! :)

~krashnash

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
I wonder how much effect temperature has on the Chinese-made V4L juices in general - if the factory shuts down for a week-long holiday, is it temperature controlled then? Is there a temperature controlled shipping container? Or does it sit out on the deck of a container ship in the heat? I know that my postal-sort-facility here locally is not air-conditioned when it's not open, so if my juice arrives there on Saturday afternoon, it's going to sit in a hot back room until early Monday morning... It occurs to me that some of the variation in batches of certain juices could be do to conditions it is subjected to after production. Might be why some wowboys are more minty, or why some wow peppermint has harsher throat hit....~krashnash

And after the juice has gone through all that, I wonder what it is subjected to on its journey to Australia? Is it in a temperature-controlled aircraft hold? It is very possible that what I taste is different to what you experience in the US :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread