After 3 years smoke free, back to smoking. Need to start vaping again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I had almost the exact same experience. Used to be a hobby-level vapor, went back to smoking, tried quitting on lozenges, thought it was going ok and gave away my vape gear . .then started smoking again for 2 years.

There have been some big changes in the last 4 years of vaping but I can break them down to just a few important ones for us that are returning to vaping from times past.

1. Sub ohm tanks and high wattage regulated devices.
When I quit vaping it was my dream to own a DNA 40 device. You can get devices now for $50-60 bucks that put out 150+ watts and tanks come with subohm coils. These tanks perform as good or better than the stuff I was building in my Kayfun back in the day. Direct to lung/big airflow is the default these days.

2. Related to #1 is the popularity of low mg juice. 6mg is really common. 12 and up is even hard to find in some flavors/brands.

3. As far as coil building goes - seems like *nobody* just wraps a single kanthal coil anymore. That's ok because the options for buying pre-built coils are better than ever. Otherwise RDA's and RTA's are basically the same - just better designs.

To re-start vaping I picked up an Innokin Kroma A kit. Unlike starter kits you may remember, now starter kits are legit. The only problem was . .as a smoker trying to quit . .I was having a hard time vaping only 6mg juice in subohm tanks. It did work but it didn't feel *right*.

I picked up a Nautilus 2 which was kind of a blast from the past except now they have these rockin .7ohm coils. Loaded with 12mg juice gave me more the experience I felt I was missing. A bonus is all these new single battery 75watt devices really last a long time firing at 18watts.

Now I'm gravitating back towards the subohm tanks. The flavor is outstanding and the clouds are huge. I still prefer the Nautilus 2 as a daily carry but at home it's almost exclusively the sub-ohm tanks.

I decided this time around to not get so involved in the hobby aspect of vaping. I'm just going to use tanks and pre-built coils and commercial e liquid . .at least for now. But the options available commercially now are definitely better than what I was building and making 4 years ago.

tldr - get a mouth-to-lung type tank with higher mg juice as well as a sub-ohm tank with lower mg juice!

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
Finally, the coils, for as large and robust as they are, are cheap. Online you will find 5 packs from 8.95-9.95. However, if you order them from Fast Tech and order 5 packs, the per coil price comes down to 1.18. I'm waiting on an order now. I think it was 29.70 for five 5 packs.It says genuine in the ad. The pros on this board say that if Fast Tech says they are genuine, they are not knock offs. I ordered them the 14th. Used usps e packet shipping. 11 cents shipping charge. My tracking originally said Friday delivery. Now it updated to delivery today. That's to the Chicago suburbs. With all I've heard about FT shipping I find it hard to believe only 8 days, but we'll see.

Reactions: Letitia

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
Update. I also posted this in the FT thread for informational purposes. Got the coils today. 8 days from China to me in Chicago suburbs. Packed well. All packs in original boxing with security code. All were genuine. With 5 pack discount came to $1.18 per coil. I'm happy.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
As the title states, I was smoke free for 3 years thanks to vaping. In that time I became very experienced with a variety of mod and tank types, had an entire collection of vaping "toys", experienced with rebuildables and drippers and the like(sorry I don't remember specific terms/brand names!). But then I started smoking again. Tried to quit with the patch (thought I was going to be successful and got rid of my old vaping stuff during a move) but that failed. Now I'm looking at vaping as an easier way to simply stop smoking (I'm already back at 1+ pack/day).

My problem: All of the new developments in vaping are leaving me utterly overwhelmed and confused! When I was vaping I had all kinds of fancy mods/tanks/whatever stuff, so I'm not a total newbie, but I am looking for something very simple to get off the smokes and there is just SO MUCH new stuff out there.

Before I started smoking again my daily carry was a mechanical mod with a rebuildable tank atomizer. That one super popular one that everyone had that I can't remember the name of. Using unflavored 3mg 70/30 VG I believe (Obviously I'm going to have to restart at 18 or 24mg!).

Can anybody give me suggestions on devices to look at to get started again? Preferably:Something low maintenance and simple (I don't think I want to go rebuildable right now), Ideally small-ish, will last me through a full day in terms of tank size and battery. Basically, if all I have to do is fill it/charge it when I'm at home at night (I also work 10-12+ hour shifts everyday) That would be great!! And durable too, I can't tell you how many devices simply broke on me.

I have noticed this new "pod" system in my beginning research on getting back into vaping. While it sounds very interesting, it doesn't exactly strike me as being cost effective and the tank sizes all seem so small?! I'm used to a standard of 5ml tanks. So obviously a lot has changed in vaping since I was in the loop and I would appreciate any sort of advice.

Thanks!

Endura t18 or t20 for the mouth to lung win!

Be careful which unflavoured nicotine juice you buy. The nicotine of a few years ago with big throat hit isn't as popular now that people are vaping at much higher wattage. Try to avoid smooth nicotine. I recommend Myfreedomsmoke nicotine which sticks to the familiar throat hit I was used to 5 years ago before sub-ohm devices dominated the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I decided this time around to not get so involved in the hobby aspect of vaping. I'm just going to use tanks and pre-built coils and commercial e liquid . .at least for now. But the options available commercially now are definitely better than what I was building and making 4 years ago.

tldr - get a mouth-to-lung type tank with higher mg juice as well as a sub-ohm tank with lower mg juice!

Exactly. Not building anymore but I'm DIY'ing liquids again. I'm still using three year old recipes and adding new ones, using the same old building blocks of flavor that worked for me then.

MTL tank? I'm still using a Protank II. ;) The Subtank Mini makes for a good one, too. Tighten the airflow, use the 1.2 coil, step down to a PTII drip tip.

DQuit

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2010
Litchfield, IL
I just came back here to ECF the week before last and started vaping 2 weeks ago this coming Friday and am 100% off analogs since day 1. It is a huge change from 2014 when I went back to smoking. I used to vape 24 mg. 75/30. Things have really changed since then. I also had a big fear of charging the ego type batteries and hoped to be able to get into something safer.

My first mistake at smoking 1 pack a day, was go get 6 mg juice. I bought the SMOK AL85 kit, 2 18650 batteries and a charger. That got me started almost 2 weeks ago. I hacked, gaged, and about died with each vape until they helped me figure out (here on ECF) to lower the wattage, and my air holes needed to be closed some because I was actually doing MTL. Part of the problem was the 6mg strength giving me a headache and choking some too. I went down to 3 mg and have been vaping ever since.

I got another tank called the Sense Herakles Pro and I really like it but it is picky as it likes to leak but I worked out it's quirks.

Three days ago I stumbled upon a good sale online and as soon as I ordered backup and 2 more tanks, I lost internet and TV (and cell phones don't work at all in this town) for 3 days. I really was bout to grab one of hubby's analogs a couple times, with being thrown into the dark ages, but I made it!

I ended up ordering a Pico 75 box mod ($26), 2 Smok X-Baby Beast tanks ($16 ea.) 2 LG 1865 batteries ($9 2 pack) from eCig dot com. I thought that was a great price and I want spares and tanks so I can vape different flavors.

I would hate to have made it this far and have something happen to my only box mod and be forced to go pick up the analogs laying around because hubby smokes. Now I won't have to worry about it.

I have been DIY mixing and become so hooked on my old flavors I dug up that now I am already looking at ordering VG by the gallon in a couple days. This new way of sub ohm tanks uses juice like crazy. Heck I need new BIG bottles to start mixing in batches larger than 30 ml, which might last a day.

My main DIY comes from Wizzard Labs or EcigExpress I find they are just about the same price.

I do think that I will actually be successful with vaping this time thanks to those who helped me get going here!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Dquit, you're off to a great new start! I too am obsessed with backups, though I never expected not to use them. But I was out and about yesterday and my steampunk's batts died. I did have backup batteries but I hadn't examined them closely for a while, and one wrap was a bit funky.... I did decide to put them in the Steampunk anyway and couldn't get the darned thing to work (Steampunk was protecting me, LOL). Either those batteries were dead, or the wrap was just too degraded... Frankly I wouldn't have even tried it had I not been out and about, and it didn't look LIFE threatening... I plan to re-wrap them before I charge them, anyway, so I'm not sure which problem it is. :)

So, I just pulled out my backup vape and was good to go! I too am obsessively concerned about equipment due to the fact that the husband has cigarettes everywhere.... I don't want to be in a situation where I cannot vape as I know myself, that would be the perfect *excuse* for smoking for a few days....

Only problem is, smoking for a few days or even a few hours.... I know myself and every quit is different and I most CERTAINLY don't want to try for another one. My lungs are healed up enough for me to know that a cigarette would most likely taste GREAT and be enjoyable. The first one. Not the 6000th one. And after the first one, who KNOWS what would happen.

Best of luck this time!

Anna

DQuit

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2010
Litchfield, IL
Dquit, you're off to a great new start! I too am obsessed with backups, though I never expected not to use them. But I was out and about yesterday and my steampunk's batts died. I did have backup batteries but I hadn't examined them closely for a while, and one wrap was a bit funky.... I did decide to put them in the Steampunk anyway and couldn't get the darned thing to work (Steampunk was protecting me, LOL). Either those batteries were dead, or the wrap was just too degraded... Frankly I wouldn't have even tried it had I not been out and about, and it didn't look LIFE threatening... I plan to re-wrap them before I charge them, anyway, so I'm not sure which problem it is. :)

So, I just pulled out my backup vape and was good to go! I too am obsessively concerned about equipment due to the fact that the husband has cigarettes everywhere.... I don't want to be in a situation where I cannot vape as I know myself, that would be the perfect *excuse* for smoking for a few days....

Only problem is, smoking for a few days or even a few hours.... I know myself and every quit is different and I most CERTAINLY don't want to try for another one. My lungs are healed up enough for me to know that a cigarette would most likely taste GREAT and be enjoyable. The first one. Not the 6000th one. And after the first one, who KNOWS what would happen.

Best of luck this time!

Anna
Wow I am glad to hear you had a spare with you. I have not reached that point yet. Only having 2 batteries until this vape mail gets here, I pop in a fresh one each nite and charge the other so when I get up, I have 2. It's kind of obsessing to make sure I do it every night. Congrats on leaving his smokes to him.

You are right, I don't think either of us can do "just one." I have stopped coughing up gunk already, and it's great!

I am toying with the idea of a DIY tobacco flavor. Taste is what always got me back to it. I am just wondering if tobacco flavor would drive me back to it, or be pleasurable. At this time I am satisfied with all the deserts and coffee/caramels etc.

I was letting the poster know that it is daunting coming back to this huge change in everything, but simple can happen to just get going. I did and I have not blown up yet. lol

Reactions: stols001

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Exactly. Not building anymore but I'm DIY'ing liquids again. I'm still using three year old recipes and adding new ones, using the same old building blocks of flavor that worked for me then.

MTL tank? I'm still using a Protank II. ;) The Subtank Mini makes for a good one, too. Tighten the airflow, use the 1.2 coil, step down to a PTII drip tip.

Mate time to upgrade to the kanger Aerotank! It's what I often use for MTL ;)

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I just came back here to ECF the week before last and started vaping 2 weeks ago this coming Friday and am 100% off analogs since day 1. It is a huge change from 2014 when I went back to smoking. I used to vape 24 mg. 75/30. Things have really changed since then. I also had a big fear of charging the ego type batteries and hoped to be able to get into something safer.

My first mistake at smoking 1 pack a day, was go get 6 mg juice. I bought the SMOK AL85 kit, 2 18650 batteries and a charger. That got me started almost 2 weeks ago. I hacked, gaged, and about died with each vape until they helped me figure out (here on ECF) to lower the wattage, and my air holes needed to be closed some because I was actually doing MTL. Part of the problem was the 6mg strength giving me a headache and choking some too. I went down to 3 mg and have been vaping ever since.

I got another tank called the Sense Herakles Pro and I really like it but it is picky as it likes to leak but I worked out it's quirks.

Three days ago I stumbled upon a good sale online and as soon as I ordered backup and 2 more tanks, I lost internet and TV (and cell phones don't work at all in this town) for 3 days. I really was bout to grab one of hubby's analogs a couple times, with being thrown into the dark ages, but I made it!

I ended up ordering a Pico 75 box mod ($26), 2 Smok X-Baby Beast tanks ($16 ea.) 2 LG 1865 batteries ($9 2 pack) from eCig dot com. I thought that was a great price and I want spares and tanks so I can vape different flavors.

I would hate to have made it this far and have something happen to my only box mod and be forced to go pick up the analogs laying around because hubby smokes. Now I won't have to worry about it.

I have been DIY mixing and become so hooked on my old flavors I dug up that now I am already looking at ordering VG by the gallon in a couple days. This new way of sub ohm tanks uses juice like crazy. Heck I need new BIG bottles to start mixing in batches larger than 30 ml, which might last a day.

My main DIY comes from Wizzard Labs or EcigExpress I find they are just about the same price.

I do think that I will actually be successful with vaping this time thanks to those who helped me get going here!

I find it fascinating and exceedingly funny when people describe their experiences when returning to vaping after a long period of being back on cigarettes.

The technology moves so fast that even a year or 6 months can be a long time. Devices and vape gear can become obsolete very quickly (like the 18650 battery might become very soon with the growing market for 20700 batteries).

I've been vaping for 8-9 years and I've seen many different phases and developments. I once slipped back into smoking for just 6 months and in that 6 months the direction of vaping moved so quickly that the Aspire Nautilus which was the most powerful tank with premade coils was eclipsed by the new sub-ohm tanks coming out which vaped up to 50 watts. One day reviewers are astonished at how a tank can do 14 watts and then next thing you know 50 watts is the norm, and it's still spring. I can't think of any technology that develops as fast as vaping, not even computers.

I've been subohm vaping since the Aspire Atlantis came out a few years ago and I still can't use to the amount of juice I go through. I still think a 30 ml bottle is a lot of juice like it was back when I was vaping 18mg nic in cartomizers and kr808s lol

By day when I am at work I still use an aerotank, aerotank mini, protanks, evods (I've still got brand new unused evods from years ago) and even cartomizers I purchased at Eastmall several years ago. At night I will use high powered RTAs and sub-ohm tanks.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Mate time to upgrade to the kanger Aerotank! It's what I often use for MTL ;)

LOL Nah, I like my Protank II's. They work and don't need fixing. They work like bloody champs on my Vamo V3 and V5. ;)

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
@AnthonyB I agree tech moves very fast and usually your tech or gear becomes obsolete quite rapidly, thing is not everyone wants big ... mods with 2 batteries (2x 20700 might i add), i'm fine with my single 18650 and having 2 of those around, to me it makes more sense. Mods would most certainly not be able to be small anymore if 18650's were to be gone. Tech moves fast but the'res not alot more they can do in the vaping world,exept up the wattage even more for those who only do cloud chasing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is crazy how quickly new things are coming along. I do wonder if some of it has been driven by the deeming date that has now been pushed out, I think part of it might be the fact that vaping in general kind of appeals to a "tech" dimension (as well as many others like DIY), and it's a growing market. I really LOVE the idea of retrofitting, partially why I'm so into Aspire products, though I think all brands do it to an extent. I remember dual using on a tiny stick SOMETHING and clients of mine coming in with 2 or 4 batt mods and going, Huh? Since I wasn't really looking to vape extensively or quit, I naïvely thought that the USB port on those batteries were for charging CELLPHONES as well, or something.... How little I knew that I would be vaping myself on a two battery mod not that long after. Not that I technically NEED it, I mean, I MTL at pathetic wattages, but somehow I'm okay with it.

I'm glad I just bought a bunch of cheaper Samsungs before they go out of style.... :)

Anna

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
LOL Nah, I like my Protank II's. They work and don't need fixing. They work like bloody champs on my Vamo V3 and V5. ;)

Lol. You are in a time warp. I feel like that sometimes too.

My Vamo V1 or 2 (I think) stopped working years ago. It's a big chunk of metal that thing. They were so popular in their day.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That's a good point, Leticia. I figure that there's nothing wrong with extra battery life, and honestly, the Steampunk is so heavy it could technically double as a set of brass knuckles for me, if necessary? Did I really just write all that out? Why yes, I did, and I would only use it for *defense* but hey, it could work as a marketing feature, for all I know. I'm kidding, a little lighthearted today after having a fun time with the Kid. :) But you are right, vape is great when it works, regardless of all else or other optional features.... :)

Anna

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
It is crazy how quickly new things are coming along. I do wonder if some of it has been driven by the deeming date that has now been pushed out, I think part of it might be the fact that vaping in general kind of appeals to a "tech" dimension (as well as many others like DIY), and it's a growing market. I really LOVE the idea of retrofitting, partially why I'm so into Aspire products, though I think all brands do it to an extent. I remember dual using on a tiny stick SOMETHING and clients of mine coming in with 2 or 4 batt mods and going, Huh? Since I wasn't really looking to vape extensively or quit, I naïvely thought that the USB port on those batteries were for charging CELLPHONES as well, or something.... How little I knew that I would be vaping myself on a two battery mod not that long after. Not that I technically NEED it, I mean, I MTL at pathetic wattages, but somehow I'm okay with it.

I'm glad I just bought a bunch of cheaper Samsungs before they go out of style.... :)

Anna

No pathetic wattage amongst us veterans. I am off to work this morning and have with me me a 650 mah ego with a 510 atomizer using 12 mg juice. It's at 3.3 volts and the coil is 2.3 ohms. That makes it 6 watts lol

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Lol. You are in a time warp. I feel like that sometimes too.

My Vamo V1 or 2 (I think) stopped working years ago. It's a big chunk of metal that thing. They were so popular in their day.

The V1 and V2 were beset with problems. I had a V2 that died last year, but it had been out of use for about a year and a half before that. My V3 and V5 still work perfectly. They really are beautiful devices and yeah, I still use'em from time to time.

I take the gunmetal black one out and about in 18350 mode sometimes and I get a lot of questions from people who have only known the Box Mod.

DQuit

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2010
Litchfield, IL
I find it fascinating and exceedingly funny when people describe their experiences when returning to vaping after a long period of being back on cigarettes.

The technology moves so fast that even a year or 6 months can be a long time. Devices and vape gear can become obsolete very quickly (like the 18650 battery might become very soon with the growing market for 20700 batteries).

I've been vaping for 8-9 years and I've seen many different phases and developments. I once slipped back into smoking for just 6 months and in that 6 months the direction of vaping moved so quickly that the Aspire Nautilus which was the most powerful tank with premade coils was eclipsed by the new sub-ohm tanks coming out which vaped up to 50 watts. One day reviewers are astonished at how a tank can do 14 watts and then next thing you know 50 watts is the norm, and it's still spring. I can't think of any technology that develops as fast as vaping, not even computers.

I've been subohm vaping since the Aspire Atlantis came out a few years ago and I still can't use to the amount of juice I go through. I still think a 30 ml bottle is a lot of juice like it was back when I was vaping 18mg nic in cartomizers and kr808s lol

By day when I am at work I still use an aerotank, aerotank mini, protanks, evods (I've still got brand new unused evods from years ago) and even cartomizers I purchased at Eastmall several years ago. At night I will use high powered RTAs and sub-ohm tanks.

I am still coming to grips about how fast I go through 30 ml. I about died when the vape shop sold me 120ml bottle of juice with my first set up. I said it was a lifetime supply. I don't know how they didn't laugh at me. They are great people though.

I don't think I'll be collecting a bunch of set ups this time because of the way things change so fast. I think I'll have a couple boxes and keep a few working tanks going to swap flavors pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread