Aging / steeping HHV tobacco juices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I primarily like non-sweet tobacco juices, mainly from Heather's Heavenly Vapes, Naturally-Extracted-tobacco, and Want 2 Vape. Some HHV juices I order regularly are Serendipity, Huntsman, Dark Horse, and Legend.

Thing is, I just don't get any tobacco flavor from the HHV tobacco juices. For me, each flavor is about 99% honey, and 1% something that's vaguely different from other HHV juices, but I can never put my finger on what that 1% is. It's okay to vape, but I'm missing all these complex pipe/cigar tobacco flavors everyone else is raving about. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried:

• 80/20 vs. 50/50 vs. 100 VG
  • Tanks (w/ coil packs) vs. RDA (sub-ohm)
  • Changing power settings on the device

Nothing has really fixed the issue for me. Closest I came was with a BDC at a high voltage (for the Nautilus lol) with 100% VG juice. The "honey flavor" seemed to "dry out" and became much less noticeable. Unfortunately, no tobacco flavors came to the forefront...for example, Gaia tasted like celery, and Huntsman tasted like Honey Nut Cheerios.

I have a HHV order due soon that I plan to steep for 1 month. I've had some success with steeping other brands' juices, so I thought I'd give HHV another try. Any advice for steeping or aging? My method is to shake it up, let the bubbles settle to the top and disappear, squeeze out the air, let fresh air in, and repeat as needed. Keep it in a cool dry place, and, if needed, mentally kick myself when I try to vape it before it's ready lol.

Reactions: LAwaters

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I forget the exact terminology - lowercase NETs? - but there are different types and HHV NETs fall into the less vivid category. They are more subtle. The most vivid tobacco flavor in their line up (to my palate) is Pirate's Booty. It's darker, a hint of spice and leans toward cigar flavor. It's not earthy or grassy like Dark Horse, Gaia and Huntsman are.

Serendipity also benefits from aging 3 - 4 weeks. It really shines at 2 - 3 months, but I rarely have it that long unless I get 100 ml. Same for Legend & Pirate's.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I think its called "fonts" Large, medium etc.... Bronze knows the terminology I believe.
Large font is supposed to be real heavy in your face tobacco flavor IIRC...
maybe Bronze will pop in here and set us straight on the terminology :)

Thanks, @Bunnykiller! I think you may be right. We need @Bronze to help us out here.

Thanks for the responses! Guess I will be aging them just to see what happens. Some Pirate's Booty is inbound. :)

Don't get me wrong, HHV juices are really good (and very coil friendly), but I'm not getting the tobacco-centric flavor the images suggest (to me). Maybe I'm just really sensitive to whatever sweetener (?) is in the juice, or I want something more "in your face," almost a little "foul," like a pipe/cigar smoking room at an old British men's club. Or some combination thereof.

When I get tired of sweet stuff I tend to mix them in with other tobacco juices. That's one of the nice things about dripping tobacco: it goes well with many other flavors, and one can mix 'n match to taste. New flavors are never more than a few drops away. :) One of the downsides is I can't drip juice w/ menthol, or everything put in the atty from that point on is menthol...lol.

For kicks, some months ago, I ordered old-style "tobacco" juice from another vendor. You know, the cig-a-like stuff (from when vaping first started) in the ultra clear bottles with generic sounding brand names and Engrish labels. I filled a triple coil atty with it and...urgh...vomit inducing. Artificial flavors, harsh chemicals, and liquid smoke, with a big dose of the ethyl alcohol stuff - on a device putting out probably 10x to 20x the vapor of the devices these juices were originally intended for.

Vaping has come a long way since the early days! Thank goodness for the custom e-liquids!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
wLy, HHV NETs are heavily cased extractions meaning the flavoring takes center seat in their NETs. There really isn't any of them that are tobacco forward especially compared to Clay's NETs or W2V NETs. They just aren't. Take Louisville or London from W2V...there simply isn't anything on the HHV menu that compares to them. Louisville and London are essentially straight tobacco extractions. Many of Clay's NETs are the same way. Personally, I love those straight up tobacco extractions but I find they are a bit dry (unsweet) so I cannot vape them for long stretches. This is why HHV remains my EDV choice. That said, I wish Adam would offer a straight up NET or two...perhaps an oriental and/or burly/VA blend. I still need my straight up NET fix now and again and I vape MOV's Apache to fix that fix. But many of those from Clay, W2V, Goodejuice, others would equally satisfy my fix. I just wonder if you are mostly a straight up tobacco guy and should use HHV as your diversion.

Yeah, I probably am a straight up tobacco guy. I drip and rarely put the same juice in the atty twice in a row; tastebuds become desensitized after a few dozen puffs, so switching flavors frequently keeps them near their peak. For that reason I don't really have an EDV, just a general category of "tobacco." If things are getting too dry, I add a few drops of something from HHV; or, if something from HHV's too sweet, I add in a few drops of something drier.

I'm still playing with steeping/aging, power, and coil types. I have the feeling I'm not experiencing 100% of the flavor of some juices. Will try some ni200/titanium hybrid coils on my DNA40 when the next batch of juice arrives...would be nice if one could buy some ni200-plated kanthal or titanium wire to avoid having to twist multiple strands of different types together.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Is there a particular reason you chose 100% VG? Are you allergic to PG? PG is the flavor carrier. The higher the PG the better the flavor. Higher VG will give you denser vapor. Also many of us ask for extra flavor/extract when we order. I usually order 60/40 or 70/30 PG/VG @ 12mg nic with an extra shot of flavor/extract never fails to have plenty of flavor.

Thanks! I'll try asking for extra extract next time.

The 100% VG thing was just to try something different. I've concluded that I prefer PG. The VG vapor tends to be more "oily" in my experience; over time, everything on my desk was coated with an oily residue... I don't mind the dryness of PG; if anything, "drier" vapor goes better (thematically) with pipe/cigar tobacco juices anyway, up to a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread