Travel and Vaping Airplanes and Vaping doable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
If I remember correctly, Cash did, and it wasn't successful (but I could be wrong about that). I think it depends on the detector. I seem to remember someone talking about vaping in the restroom and blowing the vapor down the sink drain. ;)

Personally, I won't do it. I take a few puffs in my seat and hold my breath until there's no vapor on exhale. I figure if a flight attendant catches me, I can claim ignorance.

I do it all the time. Just blow the vapor at the floor. No problems.

Cash purposely blew a big wad of vapor directly into the smoke alarm to test it. Surprise!!!!!8-o

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I do it all the time. Just blow the vapor at the floor. No problems.

Cash purposely blew a big wad of vapor directly into the smoke alarm to test it. Surprise!!!!!8-o

ROFLMAO!

Here - hold my beer and ya'll watch this...

I've always waited until the flight attendant comes by with the drink cart (everyone is happier anticipating their cokes and goldfish) and put on my best pitiful doe-eyed stare asking if it is all right for me to use my "nicotine inhaler". There are those who hate calling them that, but now it sounds medicinal - see?

I then take a small puff and remark about how it's mostly water vapor and food additives so that my seatmates can see what I am doing. I look up and down the row to make eye contact and ensure no one mistakes what I'm doing with smoking analogs.

I've yet to have an airline employee tell me no, and have passed out dozens of business cards. It's actually one of the most fun I have on flights. ;)

Here's an interesting thought, are there any other suspension fluids that would produce no vapor? I know that PG was used to simulate the smoking experience, but for those of us who don't need the aesthetic "appeal" of analogs. I'd certainly buy a bottle for traveling that didn't create a cloud of vapor to cause unneeded attention.

Last edited:

Grammie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2009
Virginia, Well Steeped
I attended a conference in Boston back in July. I made a side trip to one of the local malls (in Quincy), there I found the SE kiosk. Made my first e-cig purchase there (glad I did) but have since completed my vaporing arsenal with Tital 510's.

I hadn't thought about the return trip home, through BOS airport security. After I got to the airport, I asked the TSA agent at the entrance to the security checkpoint could my e-cig be carried onto the plane. He took it to the guys at the beginning of the security line where you put your "stuff" in the bins, but he failed to ask the guy behind the x-ray machine. When that bin went through the x-ray machine that guy's face turned ashen white, I spoke up real quick and said "it's just my e-cigarette battery you're seeing". He looked at me and said it had really scared the **IT out of him. Then he and the next 2 TSA agents at the end of the line wanted to know more about the e-cigs. I gave them all a little booklet on the e-cig (glad I had those in hand).

Seems from that one trip alone, at least 6 smokers (TSA Agents & one airline employee) decided they were going to try the e-cigs.

Yes, I did "stealth" smoke on the plane (only enough to keep the boggers at bay)! :)

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Actually,
the only time i exhaled vapor on the plane was when a hostess gave me a steaming cup of coffee, and i would exhale when i placed the cup to my mouth.
My son was laughing his head off of course.
Other than that, i would try to go unnoticed, you never know how other passengers may react if they see what they think, may be smoke.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
Just be smart about it. Select the proper PV to take with you.

I would not try to bring a Prodigy, GG or Screwdriver. They just look like weapons, and while you most likely won't see a huge problem, you may be hassled to explain them, causing you a delay.

And forget about vaping those hot rods while flying. The guy next to you is likely to freak the hell out when you pull a Prodigy out of your carry-on bag.

I would choose a model that is small, and produces a smaller amount of vapor. This way folks behind you aren't alarmed by seeing "smoke" billowing up around you. I would not use my 510 or Dragon, but my Blu would be perfect.

Also, exhale down into your shirt and there is no vapor for anyone else to see ;)

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Don't blow vapor into the airplane detectors...you will trigger them.
There was a pilot on this forum who explained the whole mechanism of an airplane smoke detector.
Just blow vapor onto the floor.
Anyway, by now you should have learnt how to vape without exhaling any vapor.

Do you know where that post is? I always thought that most smoke detectors were calibrated not to be set off for such things as cig smoke. Like the ones in your house and hotels. I think that there is something a lot different about cig smoke and "Oh my gosh, everything is on fire!" smoke, isn't there? I totally understand if they have it calibrated for that in an airplane though, I would say that people trying to smoke in the bathroom is probably a pretty big epidemic, especially on longer flights.

Timbrin

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
There are more than one type of smoke detector, and they have different triggers. Some will go off. Blowing the vapor at a lav detector in a plane has already been tried - it set it off.

Lucky I didnt read this thread before before my holiday to Thailand.

Had a 12 hour flight to Amsterdam on China Airlines, I kept two fully charged classic pen style e-cigs loaded with 36mg juice in my hand luggage.
I had planned on vaping under my blanket but in the end I just went to the toilet every hour or so and vaped in there for a few minutes, no problems and no alarms sounded.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Following my near disaster when trying to vape secretly in my seat - and coughing out a bunch o' vape - on a BA flight this year, I tried something new flying to EWR a couple of weeks ago. It was a 7.5 hour flight and as usual we were hemmed in by a stranger, so I couldn't nip to the toilet too often.

Basically, I usually use the tray table to lie forward on and get some sleep. This time I used both the crappy pillow supplied by Continental, and my daft inflatable neck pillow, for comfort. As the neck pillow has a curved shape, I had an idea! I grabbed my Janty Stick and held it in my hand in the 'hole' within the curved bit of the inflatable pillow, and used the softer pillow on top of that. I lay my head over that lot and vaped away happily for about an hour, slowly breathing the vape out through my nose into the softer pillow to prevent it 'escaping'! It must have worked, as even the OH (vape police) said nothing.

Pretending to be asleep stealth vape-a-thon!

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
I recently took a trip and was able to vape right in my seat with no problem. I took it apart and showed the stews what it was and went about my business, why would you hide doing something that is not illegal to do? Hiding just makes it seem like you are doing something wrong. A lot of people seem so timid about making a stand for THEIR right to vape and are more concerned about rocking the boat...no wonder we stand idly by while the world goes to hell in a handbasket everyone is too timid to stand up and say NO! this is wrong and it must stop. Quit letting others rule your actions. It's one thing to be polite and respectful, it's another to just lay down whenever things get rough.

Last edited:

boa279

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Im an aircraft mechanic so I can tell you why e-cigs set them off. Inside the some detector is a light bulb and a photosensor. Since normal air is transparent the light reaches the sensor no problem. However, smoke or vapor of any kind will cause less light to reach the photo sensor causing a drop in voltage across the photosensor setting off the alarm. Hair spray will set it off as well as body spray if you spray directly at them.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
I recently took a trip and was able to vape right in my seat with no problem. I took it apart and showed the stews what it was and went about my business, why would you hide doing something that is not illegal to do? Hiding just makes it seem like you are doing something wrong. A lot of people seem so timid about making a stand for THEIR right to vape and are more concerned about rocking the boat...no wonder we stand idly by while the world goes to hell in a handbasket everyone is too timid to stand up and say NO! this is wrong and it must stop. Quit letting others rule your actions. It's one thing to be polite and respectful, it's another to just lay down whenever things get rough.
I flew Continental, who have a clear no-vaping policy. It's right there in black and white in the in-flight magazine. It's not illegal, but the airline has banned it on their flights! Nothing I can do about that.

I don't know why E-Cig users are so "afraid" to vape ANY where! I use mine EVERYWHERE I go: up and down the isles and all the way through "check out" and out the doors of our 3 Save Marts here in town, as well as ANY store or business I enter - the Post Office, Starbucks, Grocery Stores, Drug Stores - ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE!
And YES, at SFO (SanFrancisco International Airport) on the Shuttle Bus from the parking lot, in all lines and all the way through and while up at the Baggage Check In, Security, the Flight Gate and walking onto the plane. This was SouthWest Airlines, & I had never heard from anyone who ever tried to use their E-Cig on a plane, and since I didn't KNOW, I did turn the little overhead fan right onto my nose, so, as I took my drags and let the vapor slowly go out of my pursed lips and nose, what did not dissipate into the air was quickly blown away by the nice stream of air coming down right on my "exhale". So it worked great all the way! And I was sitting in the MIDDLE, right between a young lady and an older man - I vaped constantly all the way Back & Forth...and then, when we all deplaned back in SF, I turned around and told the head stewardess: "Hey, hon, I guess you didn't notice my use of the awesome great new invention - the electronic cigarette! That's because it doesn't smell, like tobacco, and it's not smoke...and..."
She interupted and said, "Oh, no problem, we see them all the time now. We have NO Problems with it. Vape 'em if you got 'em."
So, c'mon you guys - If you ACT like you need to sneak and hide it, they'll believe something must be BAD about it. But when you just use it everywhere because IT IS FANTASTIC and NOT Harmful and your RIGHT to do so, people will be more apt to accept it, or at least, when they give you that same ol': "Hey, you can't smoke in here", and you give your 30-second explanation (e.g. "Oh, yeah, I know - - this isn't smoke! It's just water vapor. NO tobacco; NO smoke! So it's completely lawful and, as a matter of fact, is saving the lives of 10s, possibly 100s of thousands of lives. So Thanks for the reminder.) And you go on vaping like it's just the most natural thing in the world. Of course, most of the time, you've got 2 or 3 or more people asking "Where'd you get that? I need to get my Mom one... Where can I get one of those? And, being an E-Cig dealer, I give out cards by the dozen everywhere I go.
So, c'mon you guys! Get out there and vape! We've got the "cure" for tobacco smoking and 450,000 deaths every year! and YOU'RE gonna HIDE it from people???!!! SHAME ON YOU!
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE,
Richard - Truthbrigader1

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
I do it all the time. I will never admit to doing it on commercial since most airlines frown upon it. I'm going to start doing review while in the air.

Here is some video of me vaping on a airplane.

This video is pass protected but type in "ECF" and you can see for yourself.

http://www.vimeo.com/7256127

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread