Travel and Vaping Airports,travel. and devices?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldengirl

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
Hey all,
Traveling for the first time on a plane in along time, only flying within the US.... but, I purchased this week, pcc, 2 different devices... and tons of extras..
okay sooooooooooo dish,so I can put my nerves aside, that I wont have my stuff taken...

How should I pack it..wont need it on the flight at all, and wont need it till I get my luggage and leave airport..

do I just pack our pcc's in the luggage with the liquids double baggied..
or do I put it in my carryon luggage..

Which is best???? stick it all to be put under the plane.. is that easier?? and no hassle??

huggles

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Hey all,
Traveling for the first time on a plane in along time, only flying within the US.... but, I purchased this week, pcc, 2 different devices... and tons of extras..
okay sooooooooooo dish,so I can put my nerves aside, that I wont have my stuff taken...

How should I pack it..wont need it on the flight at all, and wont need it till I get my luggage and leave airport..

do I just pack our pcc's in the luggage with the liquids double baggied..
or do I put it in my carryon luggage..

Which is best???? stick it all to be put under the plane.. is that easier?? and no hassle??

huggles

Before we get into this I have a few questions.

Tons of stuff? Like what, and how many tons?
Where to where, and what airline?
How long will you be gone?
Any other info about the trip you have.

Goldengirl

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
RlS, yes... but thought it would be best to put in the appropriate section under travel. Since I think it was you that shared with me their was a travel section. My bad, if I did something wrong, ....:(

American Airlines, flying out on a Thursday, returning on a Tuesday..

thanks all, for your travel section,

so those that click on new post... yes, you will obviously see more then one post of sorts... but, for me, I was placing this in the appropriate section. Thinking this is what I should have done. Sorry if this irritates any... But, we are a forum, a group trying to help , learn, educate, teach, and promote e-cigs.. right??
huggles

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
RlS, yes... but thought it would be best to put in the appropriate section under travel. Since I think it was you that shared with me their was a travel section. My bad, if I did something wrong, ....:(

American Airlines, flying out on a Thursday, returning on a Tuesday..

thanks all, for your travel section,

so those that click on new post... yes, you will obviously see more then one post of sorts... but, for me, I was placing this in the appropriate section. Thinking this is what I should have done. Sorry if this irritates any... But, we are a forum, a group trying to help , learn, educate, teach, and promote e-cigs.. right??
huggles

Don't worry about the other thread. If it's OK with you, it can be deleted, and we can stay here.

1) AA has banned e-cig use on their flights. They are *not* banned from the planes, you just can't use them on the flight. Best to keep it out of sight to avoid any problems. I you *must* vape during the flight, go to the lavatory, and blow the vapor down the sink drain.

2) Since e-cigs are not banned, security is no problem. Keep your things neatly packed. Messy and jumbled wires may warrant a search.

3) If your juice is carried on, it will have to go into the famous zip lock baggie. Bottles bigger than 3oz. will not be allowed through security. I suggest you double baggie the juice in case it leaks.

4) Watch what you put in your checked luggage. They cannot be locked, and occasionaly, items will disappear. Don't put anything valuable in your checked luggage. This includes electronics, cameras, etc. If you plan on putting any of these things in your checked bags, just send them to me. At least you'll loose them to someone you know.

5) Pack accordingly. AA charges $15 for the first checked bag, and $25 for the second. The third bag charge is outrageous.

6) You didn't mention where you're going, or where you're coming from. I may be able to tell you about the Airports, if I knew.

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
Here's how I did it this past week.

1. Use only your PCC on the travel day. Top off the 3 carts you can use and make sure your PCC is fully charged. Only fill up the PCC. (1 battery, 1 atomizer, 3 full carts.)

2. Keep your juice in your checked luggage. If you are not checking luggage (like I did one day), make sure you do not have any bottles over 10mL. Place those bottles in your quart size bag with your other 1oz items. Do *not* use glass bottles. Only use the dropper bottles. (Glass would be more curious.)

3. Place all other items (chargers, spare atomizer(s), spare batteries, spare cartridges), in your carry on.

4. When going through security, place your PCC and all other pocket items in your carry on and place in scanner.

These steps did not raise an eye-brow.

After security, put your PCC in your pocket..etc. When you want to vape, go to the restroom, sit on the toilet, and exhale into your shirt. That's how I was discriminate.

On the plane, same thing..go to the restroom and exhale into your shirt.

I don't advise using it on the plane unless you tell the flight attendant and let them decide. You may also need to speak with your traveling partners.

Heck, if you have extra e-cig assemblies, and some of your fellow travelers that sit next to you are smokers and are okay with you vaping, ask them if they would like to try it? You would "waste" a spare cartridge (hygiene reasons) but you may get the word out and they may very much appreciate the gesture.

I found that I only used 2 of my 3 cartridges on the travel day, and that included driving from the airport to the hotel. I flew from Phoenix to Boston then drove an hour to Marlborough. Basically, the traveling was a total of 10 hours.

Last edited:
i've flown once since 911 and had no clue. the amount of "liquid" you can take in your carry one is very limited. best to buy your toiletries at your destination if possible. put your bottles in a ziplock, throw in an empty bottle of vagie lube, like astroglide or the like. lol. i know this sounds weird but it will deter anyone from snooping as to whats in the rest of the bottles. ;)

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
i've flown once since 911 and had no clue. the amount of "liquid" you can take in your carry one is very limited. best to buy your toiletries at your destination if possible. put your bottles in a ziplock, throw in an empty bottle of vagie lube, like astroglide or the like. lol. i know this sounds weird but it will deter anyone from snooping as to whats in the rest of the bottles. ;)

Believe me, nothing will deter them. And if they see something which they think may be purposely covered up, you're in for a major delay.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Here's how I did it this past week.

My comments (for what they're worth)

1. Use only your PCC on the travel day. Top off the 3 carts you can use and make sure your PCC is fully charged. Only fill up the PCC. (1 battery, 1 atomizer, 3 full carts.)

2. Keep your juice in your checked luggage. If you are not checking luggage (like I did one day), make sure you do not have any bottles over 10mL. Place those bottles in your quart size bag with your other 1oz items. Do *not* use glass bottles. Only use the dropper bottles. (Glass would be more curious.)

I keep my juice in my carry on, in case my checked luggage is delayed or lost. Since I fly extensively, this happen to me often.

3. Place all other items (chargers, spare atomizer(s), spare batteries, spare cartridges), in your carry on.

Agreed, but keep them neat to avoid security confusion. TSA inspectors are confused easily.

4. When going through security, place your PCC and all other pocket items in your carry on and place in scanner.

Most definitely!! All valuables go into my carry-on for the trip into the x-ray, and NOT in those little bowls. Money disappears easily.

These steps did not raise an eye-brow.

After security, put your PCC in your pocket..etc. When you want to vape, go to the restroom, sit on the toilet, and exhale into your shirt. That's how I was discriminate.

On the plane, same thing..go to the restroom and exhale into your shirt.

I don't advise using it on the plane unless you tell the flight attendant and let them decide. You may also need to speak with your traveling partners.

She's traveling on American. The e-cig is banned. Asking the FA will just cause a commotion. Better to keep it hidden.

Heck, if you have extra e-cig assemblies, and some of your fellow travelers that sit next to you are smokers and are okay with you vaping, ask them if they would like to try it? You would "waste" a spare cartridge (hygiene reasons) but you may get the word out and they may very much appreciate the gesture.

I found this to be more effective in the smoking areas, if you have the time before or between flights.

I found that I only used 2 of my 3 cartridges on the travel day, and that included driving from the airport to the hotel. I flew from Phoenix to Boston then drove an hour to Marlborough. Basically, the traveling was a total of 10 hours.

10 hours, and only 3 carts? Man, you're a lightweight.

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA

I keep my juice in my carry on, in case my checked luggage is delayed or lost. Since I fly extensively, this happen to me often.

Err, am I confuzed here. 10mL is 1/3 of 1oz IIRC.

I am planning on taking a couple / three of 30mL plastic drippers along (2 week trip). Planned to put those in the quart baggie along with a smallish bottle of mouthwash and possibly some shampoo. Is this going to be a problem? I presume that the 50 and 60 mL bottles are right out? Does this mean I need 10 10mL bottles instead or is that too much?

I am not planning to check anything, just bringing on my carry on.

Appreciate advise and comments on this, for I must suffer the trip there and back.

There are no words to describe how much I loath, detest and despise having to deal with air travel, sigh. We all suffer for the pandering cowards in DC <spit>.

Last edited:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Err, am I confuzed here. 10mL is 1/3 of 1oz IIRC.

I am planning on taking a couple / three of 30mL plastic drippers along (2 week trip). Planned to put those in the quart baggie along with a smallish bottle of mouthwash and possibly some shampoo. Is this going to be a problem? I presume that the 50 and 60 mL bottles are right out? Does this mean I need 10 10mL bottles instead or is that too much?

I am not planning to check anything, just bringing on my carry on.

Appreciate advise and comments on this, for I must suffer the trip there and back.

There are no words to describe how much I loath, detest and despise having to deal with air travel, sigh. We all suffer for the pandering cowards in DC <spit>.

You are allowed to take liquids packed in a quart size zip lock bag. The bag must be able to comfortably close & seal. Only one bag per person. Containers inside cannot exceed 3oz. each. Zip lock bag has to be removed from carry-on and goes through the x-ray.

Inside the bag - any amount of bottles 3oz or under.
A 30ml bottle is only 1oz. = safe. if 10 30ml bottles fit in the zip lock bag = safe. If you have a bottle that is 4oz, it will be rejected. and the others 3oz or under are safe.

Don't hesitate to speak up if you're still unsure or confused.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Fox, you will be fine, I usually pack 2 15-20cc and a 4cc liquid in my quart bag. Don't bring the 60cc bottles on your carry-on.
For that matter don't know how many times I went through security with a bottle in my pocket, last time in Kona, I took it out after the metal detector to see what they would do, they had me put it back in my quart bag with the other bottles and back through the scanner, no problem.

Jim you beat me to it!

Last edited:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Fox, you will be fine, I usually pack 2 15-20cc and a 4cc liquid in my quart bag. Don't bring the 60cc bottles on your carry-on.
For that matter don't know how many times I went through security with a bottle in my pocket, last time in Kona, I took it out after the metal detector to see what they would do, they had me put it back in my quart bag with the other bottles and back through the scanner, no problem.

Jim you beat me to it!

It's a damn stupid ... rule. I have a .... load of aftershave my wife bought on sale, and they're all in 4oz. bottles. Now I have to find a 3 oz bottle, and fill it from the others. I just emptied a 3oz English Leather bottle, but it had that big wooden cap on it that took up too much room in the baggie.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
It's a damn stupid ... rule. I have a .... load of aftershave my wife bought on sale, and they're all in 4oz. bottles. Now I have to find a 3 oz bottle, and fill it from the others. I just emptied a 3oz English Leather bottle, but it had that big wooden cap on it that took up too much room in the baggie.

Yep, silly rule, on a short trip not a bad problem, but if I'm on the road a week or more instead of 1 tube of toothpaste I have to throw in 2-3 of the small travel size. I don't carry aftershave anymore, with my quart bag stuffed it's the aftershave or e-liquid!:p

Fox have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread