Not open for further replies.

Huntsvappin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2012
Huntsville AL
Another Committee meeting today

03/07/2012 HLTH Senate Room 304 11:00 AM
Health, smoking prohibited in places of employment, public places and private clubs, outdoor areas, exceptions, responsibilities of Health Department and State Board of Health, penalties, Smoke-free Air Act, Secs. 22-15A-1 to 22-15A-10, inclusive, repealed

Time to send some emails

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I also posted this in the Alabama subforum

I tried to call my senator- who of course wasn't available- but his assistant asked me to email my information to her and she would make sure that he gets it. (fingers crossed)

I also sent an email to my state rep- the house bill is still in the heath committee as far as i know, but i wanted to try to get a dialogue going. I'll follow up were her on facebook if i don't get an answer. In the process of making sure i had teh right rep and the right contact info I came across this on the house page Welcome to the Alabama State Legislature

EMAILING MEMBERS

Please Note: Messages including those relative to specific legislation, should be directed to individual members, via telephone, postal correspondence or personal e-mail and that information can be found on the House alphabetical listing page.

For members that do not list a personal email address or you find a problem with a personal email address, please use the following format using the member's firstname.lastname@ alhouse. gov . For members that do not use email or if you wish to contact all members at once, please use the general email address for the House. It can be reached by clicking here house3@alhouse.gov . You should include the name of the House member you wish to contact or "For All Members" in the subject line of the e-mail.

Be Advised: The general e-mail address is a central post office that House employees use to forward a printed copy of the email to members. Therefore, messages sent here should not be considered personal, privileged, or confidential communication.

that last sounds very promising, because the members receive a printed copy of the email :)

Huntsvappin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2012
Huntsville AL
I talk to senator Paul Sanford on the phone yesterday, he returned my call. He, like my other two senators in this area are against the bill in it entirety. He was very supportive of our position and wants to meet with me some time soon. He wants to learn more about vapping ;) So I am finding its best to call your local senators and state our position. It seems if they see your number has thier area code they'll call back ... Lol. So forget the health committee for now because they have already put it on the floor, and call your local Senators! Also I have a meeting with representive Jim Patterson next Friday since we missed your meeting last week. I'm still working the House too :) this is exhausting... I need a vape :)

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I talk to senator Paul Sanford on the phone yesterday, he returned my call. He, like my other two senators in this area are against the bill in it entirety. He was very supportive of our position and wants to meet with me some time soon. He wants to learn more about vapping ;) So I am finding its best to call your local senators and state our position. It seems if they see your number has thier area code they'll call back ... Lol. So forget the health committee for now because they have already put it on the floor, and call your local Senators! Also I have a meeting with representive Jim Patterson next Friday since we missed your meeting last week. I'm still working the House too :) this is exhausting... I need a vape :)

THANK YOU

apparently Hunstville senators are responding. Nothing yet from any of the people I've tried to contact

I wrote to the reporter who ran a story on this. He replied, "Sen. Figures has said she either has erased or plans to erase e-cigarettes from the bill. I'll keep tabs on that."

Keeping fingers crossed.

YAY! Thanks VocalEK, that's promising. We still need to call and write, because the more contacts, the more likely they'll remove e-cigs.

fingers crossed here too.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Okay I found this!!! Woot!! But I still haven't found the revised bill, so for me its just here say.

Smoking Bill Passes Out of Senate Health

We might have actually made an impact here. Keeping fingers crossed

Yup! The link you posted confirms it.

Senator Gerald Dial (R-Lineville) offered the first amendment deleting electronic cigarettes from the bill. Dial added, "This just deletes e-cigarettes that a lot of people are using to quit smoking. I don't think there is any opposition to this amendment. They don't produce anything that tobacco does in the atmosphere."

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I wish we could relax now, but there is still the house bill (HB383) , and the other senate bill (SB197- it's the same except that it includes a constitutional amendment. I hope SB197 will now die in committee. )

Still working on the city of Birmingham too.

But things seem to be moving in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread