Alaska Bills - 100% tax on electronic smoking products

Status
Not open for further replies.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Are they going to build a wall around Alaska to keep out fasttech and myfreedomsmokes? One of the reasons I think taxing vaping has made slow progress is that the money that comes from a vape tax is chump change. They piss off a lot of people, start a lot of trouble and get little money in return.

I read this bill over and over yesterday, and what it does say is the tax is levied against in-state retailers. It does not talk about internet retail sales to individual consumers at all.

However, more research is needed on my part as an Alaskan.

Years ago, when the cigarette tax jumped from a few cents to a dollar, then two dollars a pack, a lot of people started buying smokes online, especially from Indian Reservations. Those people ended up getting tax bills in the mail from the state's revenue dept. months after their purchases. I forget the specifics on how the state obtained the online (or mail order at the beginning) information on Alaska buyers, but the state did indeed get names and addresses and send tax bills to people that bought online.

What gets my goat about a sin tax being applied to vaping is that the justification is not there. Sin taxes are supposed to give the state revenue to cover the social costs associated with vice. I do not see that cost associated with vaping.

A huge anti-vaping campaign began in Alaska recently and it is very disturbing to me. Especially because it is being financed by tobacco taxes and it is telling the usual lies about vaping.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
A huge anti-vaping campaign began in Alaska recently and it is very disturbing to me. Especially because it is being financed by tobacco taxes and it is telling the usual lies about vaping.
Big lies are needed to get away with such blatant immorality. A shakedown financing further shakedown. Disgusting.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
What gets my goat about a sin tax being applied to vaping is that the justification is not there. Sin taxes are supposed to give the state revenue to cover the social costs associated with vice. I do not see that cost associated with vaping.
That's why they have to convince the public we are still sinning.
And they'll use any justification (lies) they think the public will buy into.
Big lies are needed to get away with such blatant immorality. A shakedown financing further shakedown. Disgusting.
A shakedown financing further shakedown.
I've never seen it stated so clearly.

When one realizes that is exactly what is going on...
It becomes so offensive that there really are no words to describe it...

They can and probably will eventually beat me into some form of submission.
But they will never again make me feel shame.

And this time, I will fight until the end.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Actually I don't see it as fascist at all. This is Alaska officially declaring ecigs legal. We have long debated how governments would try to find a way to tax these items. Well, here it is. Expect other states to follow a similar pattern.

That said, tobacco is at more than 100% tax in most jurisdictions.

Even at that, given the wholesale markup to retail, how much is it? A $20 bottle of premium juice wholesale for single digits. So maybe juice is now 25 or 26 dollars or whatever. It's not like it will be $40.

I don't think other states will follow this particular way of taxation if the other proposed/passed bills are anything to go by. In Ohio the proposed tax on eliquids would have equated to a $45.00 tax on a 30 ml bottle, most, seem to be trying to equate ml to cigarettes and tax accordingly... such as... the ads stating one cigalike (containing 1 ml of eliquid) is equal to a pack of cigarettes...yeah. I am not familiar with any other state trying to or actually taxing equipment as of yet.

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    Years ago, when the cigarette tax jumped from a few cents to a dollar, then two dollars a pack, a lot of people started buying smokes online, especially from Indian Reservations. Those people ended up getting tax bills in the mail from the state's revenue dept. months after their purchases. I forget the specifics on how the state obtained the online (or mail order at the beginning) information on Alaska buyers, but the state did indeed get names and addresses and send tax bills to people that bought online.
    What happened as I recall is that the feds were brought in by a number of states that wanted to protect their tax revenue, and basically forced the various reservations that were selling online to turn over records. The reason they were able to do so is that selling to non-tribal members violated the Federal Treaties or something along those lines.

Reactions: YoursTruli

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    What happened as I recall is that the feds were brought in by a number of states that wanted to protect their tax revenue, and basically forced the various reservations that were selling online to turn over records. The reason they were able to do so is that selling to non-tribal members violated the Federal Treaties or something along those lines.

I know it had something to do with ATF but can't remember the specifics enough to blather about it in a forum, lol.

Reactions: Sir Kadly

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    (B) does not include a
    25 (i) battery or battery charger that is sold separately;
    26 (ii) drug, device, or combination product approved for
    27 sale by the United State Food and Drug Administration, as those terms
    28 are defined in 21 U.S.C. 301-392 (Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act); or
    29 (iii) product that has been approved by the United
    30 States Food and Drug Administration for sale as a smoking cessation
    31 product, tobacco dependence product, or modified risk tobacco product.

So
    any mod/atty, device, or a self-contained cig-alike, combination product, that is approved for sale by the United State Food and Drug Administration would not be subject to this tax? (so NOT surprised if this is in reference to self contained systems mainly a tobacco company product with the exception of NJOY)
    OR
    if the FDA defines electronic cigarettes as a modified risk tobacco product none of it would be subject to this tax including eliquids?

Reactions: DC2

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    (B) does not include a
    25 (i) battery or battery charger that is sold separately;
    31 product, tobacco dependence product, or modified risk tobacco product.

So
    any mod/atty, device, or a self-contained cig-alike, combination product, that is approved for sale by the United State Food and Drug Administration would not be subject to this tax? (so NOT surprised if this is in reference to self contained systems mainly a tobacco company product with the exception of NJOY)
    OR
    if the FDA defines electronic cigarettes as a modified risk tobacco product none of it would be subject to this tax including eliquids?

That's my interpretation, but a lot of interpretation is left to the dept. of revenue who set the regulations within the parameters of the laws.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    I think whoever wrote that had no idea what they were talking about. Unless its just cigalikes, like YT mentioned.

The FDA hasn't made any regulations for vapor products (yet).

It is very obvious they don't know what they are talking about - that is troubling. Like I said, leaves it very open to interpretation by Dept. of Revenue.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
    Jan 6, 2013
    Tennessee
    (B) does not include a

31 product, tobacco dependence product,

As I understand it, "drug, device, or combination product" (combination product is drug+device together) are terms the FDA uses for medical products.

So any mod/atty, device, or a self-contained cig-alike, combination product, that is approved for sale by the United State Food and Drug Administration would not be subject to this tax?
    If it was approved by FDA for sale as a medical product, it would be exempted.
    But again, I think the lawmakers are talking about FDA's definitions of a medical "drug, device, or combination product"... not our so-called "tobacco product" e-cigs.

(so NOT surprised if this is in reference to self contained systems mainly a tobacco company product with the exception of NJOY)
    I don't think the section you referenced was about any recreational "e-cig" device at all, even one that is self-contained. I think those words from the part you quoted are referring only to FDA's medical products division. Not their tobacco products division.

As a side note, if an e-cig manufacturer decided to try to go the medical route for FDA approval, the bar would be just as high (or higher) and the expense of getting it approved would be just as high (or higher) as it will be when manufacturers contemplate trying to get FDA marketing approval as a "tobacco product."

OR
    Yeah, it sounds like that section would exempt an FDA approved "modified risk tobacco product from being taxed. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether that would include e-liquids. Probably a self-contained device would be the only type of e-cig that could have even a glimmer of hope of being approved for "modified risk."

A faint glimmer like that of a star thousands of light-years away.

As far as I know, and I'm sure no expert on any of this, I don't think the FDA has ever approved any "tobacco" product as a modified risk product.

Very safe Swedish SNUS has decades of research showing it most definitely is a Modified Risk Product, but FDA hasn't shown any sign of accepting it as an MRP.

The way the FDA keeps deliberately and systematically encouraging the worst kinds of junk science to "inform" the FDA... I don't foresee the FDA accepting e-cigs as a Modified Risk Product.

Last edited:

squee

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    If it was approved by FDA for sale as a medical product, it would be exempted.
    But again, I think the lawmakers are talking about FDA's definitions of a medical "drug, device, or combination product"... not our so-called "tobacco product" e-cigs.
    Yeah, they're talking about a nicotine inhaler, not any kind of e-cig

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    So is this just an in state tax though? Considering the percentage of juice and devices ordered online, will it apply to those purchases from out of state?

The way the state went after online tobacco purchases for the tax revenue, it would not surprise me to see a push from Alaska to be able to tax online vape purchases.

CookingWithGuns

ECF Veteran
    Jun 14, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    The way the state went after online tobacco purchases for the tax revenue, it would not surprise me to see a push from Alaska to be able to tax online vape purchases.

Yeah but they had an in on those because of federal regulations regarding tobacco which do not exists for nicotine. Until the Marketplace Fairness Act finally passes (which probably won't given Amazon/Google/Facebook lobbying), they won't be able to force a tax collection from the seller unless they have a physical presence in the state where the sale is taking place. Or until nicotine gets similar special recognition from from the federal government, which for similar reasons as the MFA, likely won't get passed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread