Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I am having no negative reaction to vaping or to PG.:)

However, my wife (a life-long non-smoker and non-vaper) has multiple sclerosis (and generally a very sensitive system). About two weeks into my vaping (a couple weeks ago), the tightness in her chest that she sometimes experiences flared up.:( [That tightness first occurred about 10 years ago, after some acupuncture sessions.]

The timing of this recent occurrence coincided with my starting to fill cartridges of my new DSE801 penstyle with e-liquid (and some DIY mixing). [Previously I had been vaping a KR808D-1 with prefilled cartomizers.]

I have since moved out to the patio to do all my vaping (just as I did with my analog smoking) and I store all my liquids in a sealed container (which I keep out on the patio). Her chest tightness has eased.

I am not 100% sure that her recent problem is due to my vaping. For 2 weeks, I had vaped (virtually chain-vaped) in the same room as she with no problem. During the past few weeks the heat and humidity (and rain) here in South Florida have been unusually high. Perhaps the pollen count has been high as well, but I don't know. Or maybe she reacted to the exposed liquids and flavorings (but not to the vapor).

Ironically, she seemed to have the most severe reaction when I mixed spearmint flavor (intense) with VG.

We are a very committed couple (married 32 years), so her health and well-being are extremely important to me. At the same time, I am really enjoying the vaping experience and would like to vape more often (i.e., inside), not just during outside "smoke breaks." [See my signature.] And the same weather conditions mentioned above make spending much time outside not so pleasant.

Does anyone here know of any instances of reactions to second-hand vape? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
Ironically, she seemed to have the most severe reaction when I mixed spearmint flavor (intense) with VG.

Is it possible the flavoring additives are the cause and not the PG/VG? Maybe try to get a bottle of spearmint oil and see if that causes her problems. I know people who are very sensitive to some essential oils.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Didn't you post this 2 weeks ago,,,,,,,,,,,what's the update?

Yes, I did post something to this effect a couple weeks ago in the Fibromyalgia thread. As I said then: "[BTW, since the issue of second-hand vape is off-topic for this thread, I think I'll start a new thread for it. My concerns are only tangentially related to fibro and lactic.]"

The update includes the statement in my first post of this thread: "I have since moved out to the patio to do all my vaping (just as I did with my analog smoking) and I store all my liquids in a sealed container (which I keep out on the patio). Her chest tightness has eased."

Beyond that, two events of potential relevance:
  1. A couple of evenings this past week I "cheated"* (to avoid being eaten up by mosquitos which have attacked our area) and vaped a bit in my office (with the door closed as I have been doing recently to isolate her from lingering odors). My wife didn't notice.
  2. Yesterday, I brought into the house and opened an empty container that had had a couple spearmint carts in it. [I used it to soak a dying atomizer in hydrogen peroxide.] My wife complained about even that brief exposure to the spearmint scent.
And previously, during my first couple weeks of vaping (in the house), she had noticed the smell of the vapor from a RY4 cartridge (more aromatic than plain tobacco flavor).

So chad in his note above may very well be correct: It may be some of the flavoring (e.g., the LorAnn spearmint) that is bothering her, rather than my vaping of PG or VG.

I'll keep you posted.

* FYI: Little things like that are the only cheating I've ever done in our marriage.:)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Let me join in this by saying I, too, think Chad got it right. You'll find it's the flavorings that are bothering your wife. She smells them.

Some people are extremely sensitive to odors given off by perfumes. A person using a strong perfume fragrance -- sandalwood and musk, for instance -- will bring these sensitive types to a hand-waving frenzy usually seen only from members of Tobacco-Free Kids. They are made physically ill (mentally, too, but that's another story) from the delightful smell.

I can attest that exhaled vapors have odors. We can say otherwise all we want, but I've heard numerous times from those riding in a closed, air conditioned car with me. My wife smells it when riding as a front-seat passenger. More incredible, my twin grandkids smell it while riding in the back seat -- and can identify the flavor of RY4 by its "cotton candy" aroma. They can also identify the cappuccino flavor by its unique aroma.

Now, if they had sensitivity to odors, as some do, I'd have trouble e-smoking anywhere near them. Fortunately, they aren't sensitive. My bet is Don's wife is.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
I am not trying to be a wise guy at all by this statement. But do you think there is a remote chance that second hand reactions to whatever are more psychological than anything? I say this because only 20 or so years ago, people were smoking cigarettes EVERYWHERE. Restaurants, malls, bars, etc. Many people never even complained about smells or anything, especially when smoking cigarettes was the "cool" thing to do. Now if someone smells a cigarette from 20 miles away they start hacking and coughing flaring their hands in the air in agony. Everyone uses the word "allergic" and second hand smoke. bla bla. My sister is one example. She lived in a house full of smokers her whole life and never said a peep. now in 2009 you cant go near her with a cig or she goes into a coughing fit. how come she wasnt like that when five people used to blow smoke in her face?

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
TB, you got it right, too. I have an extreme sensitivity to PG, makes me feel like I'm being strangled. I only use flavors with the least amount of ingredients possible, i.e., tobacco or tennessee cured at the most. The more flavors you add the more you expose yourself to additional coloring, ingredients in flavoring and scents can also be very irritating to people with a predisposition to breathing problems. The longer the exposure the more intense the reaction.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Your assessment is accurate, Paladinx, but I think it goes beyond mere psychological reaction for some. An easy test is not to let them see you are e-smoking. With my grandkids, they are deep into a hand-held videogame in the back seat, paying me no attention as I drive with the back of head visible to them.

"What's that smell?" one will say. "Oh, grandpa is smoking that thing again," the other will answer, and they return full attention to the game. They have not seen me e-smoking in the driver's seat. They smelled the vapor.

Face it: Exhaled vapor smells. It has odor. Whether that is of consequence to anyone is a very important issue for the future of e-smoking. But it's something I don't feel we can deny or brush off lightly as "all in their heads."

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
ECF is amazing! You just type in a post and many savvy and generous people respond with wisdom and insight. Thank you all!

And then there's paladinx, of course. ;) Only teasing; I *don't* think you are a "wise guy." [Although judging from your avatar, you may be a bit...strange. Again ;)]

Seriously, my wife's reaction may be psychosomatic, which (as you may know) does *not* mean that it's imaginary (or, in her case at least, phony). It simply means that the mental/emotional processing (in this case of an odor) causes a very real physical symptom.

As folks here know all too well, many people are very judgmental about smoking (or vaping). My wife, however, has been very supportive of my vaping. She knows that it is much healthier for me than analogs. And she was very content with my vaping in the same room with her ... until she had that very troubling physical reaction.

And, yes, she is very sensitive, period.* To odors, spicy food, certain medications, crowds, noises, etc. And to acupuncture.

* that is, a firm ending to the sentence, *not* a reference to her menstrual cycle (which is a thing of the past anyway). :)

Thanks again, all!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Don, I have a sister-in-law that is asthmatic, all kinds of things bother her, also, certain scents, foods, and I haven't tested her out yet with vapor, we're just too afraid to rock the boat. But I have ADD, which can give a person panic symptoms from noise, smells, reactions to food (green peppers will kill me) crying jags that you just can't help, they just come on for no reason, so yes, I can see people being bothered by any number of negative stimuli. And yes it is totally real and not humorous!:(Makes one feel like an idiot. So do what you're doing, give her space. I'm wondering if she may be sensitive to PG? I can't stand that, either, and it didn't happen right away, maybe two months after I started vaping> have you checked out switching to VG (vegetable glycerin) as your juice base? What I mean, just totally using maybe a VG juice with maybe just a tobacco flavoring? For myself, I use VG Tobacco or Tennessee Cured flavors, no exotics of any kind. I'm afraid of trying juice with too many ingredients, but I prefer a plain old tobacco flavor, in memory of my smoking days! (I used to "enjoy" cigarettes!) I like my coffee to be 100% Columbian, no fancy vanillas, etc. for me, thanks. Just some thoughts.
Good luck to you both!

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
Yeah they definitely have a smell. To me that would add to the psychological part of it. Once they start smelling that chemical sweet smell. Same thing with my sisters example. Since she no longer has to smell smoke, she can smell it 3 miles away. Once she smells it, the coughing attack starts. But my point is, when it was cool to smoke, she never said a single word, In fact she used to smoke herself without any problems. How come all of the sudden she has formed an allergy to smoking. is it really an allergy? Or is it just a disgust towards cigarettes and a psychological reaction.

I guess the moral of my story is that people are more easily influenced than we realize. When the marketers make things "cool", people love it. Most people follow the tide. and this probably has nothing to do with this particular case or thread, but just a point about 2nd hand anything.

souporvapor

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Everett, WA
Another thing to keep in mind is that our bodies are constantly changing.

My sister 'became' allergic to many things in her 30's. I had an incident that combined chlorine and ammonia and though have no way to prove it am now much more sensitive to those smells.... and others.

Yes, our brains and physical bodies work together and psychological reactions/responses do play a part. AND as we are exposed constantly to more and more chemicals in our personal, work and social environments... sometimes it truly becomes irritating physically.

-30 years of .... logs -
Vaporized by a Screwdriver​

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
My mom became allergic to 90% of all common allergens after giving birth to my brother. Dust, pollen, strawberries, milk, eggs, pet dander, dirt, air... criminy she was always itching or going into anaphalyctic (sp) shock over something until she had tests and learned to avoid the things she could.

After menopause the bulk of the allergies really subsided. Then after retiring about 80% of her allergens don't both her much at all (she's thinking no stress life helps). She's doing fine on the PG so far, haven't had to switch her to VG. But who knows how she would be doing in the 'old' days with PG & VG.

So yeah, people do have psychosomatic reactions but body/age changes happen as well. She could always have some testing done if she's willing. Since she's supportive she may be open to it.

Hey, Don -

I've only been vaping for a couple of weeks, still doing analogs, trying to find my balance with this.

Last week-end, my wife and I went to Home Depot together, and I decided to try vaping in the car with her. She objected to the smell, although she was fine if I opened a window, allowing the vapor to be sucked out as I exhaled it. She wouldn't have been so charitable had I been smoking. Actually, I haven't smoked in a car with her in years, which was the point of the experiment.

Some people are sensitive to some odors. My wife purchased a fragrance a couple of years ago that she really liked, and I'm sure she hoped I would too. However, that particular fragrance makes it difficult for me to breathe, for some reason.

You said you wife has been supportive of your vaping, and was content with you "vaping in the same room with her ... until she had that very troubling physical reaction". So, experiment a bit. It sounds like you can attain your goal of "chain-vaping" as long as you don't use flavors that she finds objectionable.

After 32 years (36 here) I know a win-win is important to you.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread