Allergies to PG. Any medications to counter this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi, Is it possible to have allergies even after a few years of vaping? After a heavy all day session, I feel that I'm going down with a cold of some sort. I hope to hear from you all.

I'm using the same 70/30 juice, so I'm guessing the manufacturer is now using a different solution.

Thanks!

Which is the PG? Some list it first others list the VG first.

Try another brand of juice.

Some producers cut corners by using food grade VG and PG. Try to use the USP (United States Pharmaceutical) grade.

If PG is your issue you may want to upgrade to a higher VG ratio.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Which is the PG? Some list it first others list the VG first.

Try another brand of juice.

Some producers cut corners by using food grade VG and PG. Try to use the USP (United States Pharmaceutical) grade.

If PG is your issue you may want to upgrade to a higher VG ratio.

Industry convention is PG/VG.

OP:

Perhaps some other environmental factor is responsible for your symptoms.

HERE, the almond trees are blooming... My head is full and dripping. Simple seasonal allergies.

cheers
I

Reactions: Donnil Daguno

exo72069

Sep 1, 2012
Austin TX
It is certainly possible to develop an allergy after some period if exposure.

It happens to me all the time. When I first started PG didn't bother me. After about 6 months vaping it made my sinuses swell shut. It has happened with several flavors also.

Whenever I have any sinus irritation I immediately switch out to unflavored VG (plus 15% H20). Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't because it's often something else in the environment that was causing the irritation (I'm allergic to a whole lot of things).

So try Unflavored VG you might even like it. I now use unflavored about half the time.

exo72069

Sep 1, 2012
Austin TX
Donnil,

Oops, my bad.

I cant imagine vaping unflavored vg (zero nic)

I have a tendency to forget that everyone here is not an ex smoker, and that some people just like to blow vapor. The juice I was referring to is VG, H2O ... and 24 mg Nicotine.

I DYI, but a lot of juice vendors sell Unflavored 100% VG at various levels of Nicotine.

Not necessarily. There are some companies that specialize in 100% VG eliquid.

Juices advertised as Max VG are not zero PG. Max VG means they add no PG when mixing but the flavorings they use can add 20% or more PG to the final product. Not familiar with the term Full VG but suspect it means the same as Max VG.

Look for vendors that make it very clear that a particulate line of juice is "0% PG" or "100% PG Free". If you are not totally sure call the vendor; my interaction with juice vendors has been universally pleasant.

Go check out the Juice board on this
Forum and also the DIY sub-board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Lester

Feb 5, 2016
Hi Exo, I cant imagine vaping unflavored vg (zero nic). Withdrawal symptoms from a new vaper might turn him back to smoking.

Do you have an idea of Max VG vs Full Vg? Cause nicotine and flavoring are always PG right?
You can get nicotine in pure VG, but there are some flavorings that won't work with VG.

Lambreau21

Reviewer / Blogger
Jan 31, 2016
lambreaublog.wordpress.com
This is unlikely a PG allergy, although still a possibility. If you are especially getting it after your "all day sessions" its more likely just your bodies natural reaction to an infiltrate. Your immune system is fighting off foreign bodies it is not accustomed to seeing. Vapor has inorganic products such as sweeteners, nicotine, preservatives, etc these although in vapor form seem like they would not be invasive still stick to your nasal cavity as well as can get up into sinus canals. Your body is just ramping up its natural course of fighting off invasive products which causes you to get stuffed up and possibly have an increase in flem which translates to sinus pressure. It may help to take some antihistamines before a long vape session or just dont do it so often. Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread