Allergy to VG ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom10

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2011
Oklahoma
You know as I think about it, perhaps the filler in the cartomizers has something in them that is causing / aggitating it. I've been having a hell of a time getting my echo cartomizers to not burn up after the first day or two using them (and I mean burning holes in the filler too). My supplier basically told me it was unheard of and that his lasts for months with no problem, and offered me 2 free ones with another purchase of 4 more. Awesome that solves nothing but make me spend more money, thanks! Those six are doing better but after 3 days two are going bad. Anyways my point is, burning filler entering my lungs can't be healthy right? I don't know about Tracy's situation but if there's some chemical in the filler then it's hitting the atty at some point by the juice carrying it or the atty burning the filler. I'm going to vape my regular mix because I know that shouldn't cause me illness, and if I get worse or not better, then I'll have the carto filler to investigate, and if I get better I'll stick to my belief it's the VG. I've never vaped over 20% VG before and that Astro Bacco is 70% VG.

I've heard of several having VG allergies, but there are all kinds of flavors - any one of which you might be allergic to. Take one of the carts you were going to throw away and vape some 100 % VG - no flavor - no nic - and see what happens. That would at least help you to narrow things down. If you have no reaction to the 100% VG, you'll know to look elsewhere. I'm sorry to hear about folks having problems.

DarthVper

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Fort Meade, MD
I've gone against my principles and got some loratadine (allergy relief) and aceaminophen (cold & flu relief) medicines this morning and it's sped up my recovery considerably :) I'm vaping my 90% PG just fine now (well, relatively). As with analogs when I had a bad cold or flu smoking was so nasty it was near unbearable, I'm sure many of you can sympathize with that one. It's very interesting to discover the exact same sensation with vaping :blink:
Anyway we'll see if it sticks. Now, once I do recover I have some unflavored PG on order I should be receiving in a few days I'll play around with in my current cartos. I have absolutely no intention on ordering a bottle of VG though, the thought makes me toenails curl back.

tresrottn

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2010
Bothell, WA
You may need a more pure form of VG, where did you get the stuff causing the issue? Are you using cartridges with filler in it, or free juice like the ce2 cartos or the tank type egos? If you are using filler cartos, are you vaping them dry and not realizing it, and inhaling that burnt filler material? That stuff DOES burn, and I can't imagine that being healthy at ALL to inhale. IT was tearing up one of my barely used cartos to see big burn holes in the filler material that made me switch to CE2's

I would also ask after your juice, is it DIY or bought from a vendor ready to go? Is it a prefilled cart (in packages) that prolly came from China, or a juice that you fill your carts or cartos' with?

I got the VG that is approved for use in the European Union, as well as usp. it's kosher too, so you can vape during passover (or something crazy like that;))

My son is dreadfully allergic to sulfites. Found out after drinking a red wine puts him in the hospital with migraines that would not respond to the normal meds they give in the ER for migraines. It took days for it to wear off, too. Since the glycerin is vegetable based (though mostly water), and breaks down into a simple sugar like wines, yes, I think it makes sense to see it containing sulfites.

For god's sakes though....don't go back to cigarettes! An allergy is one thing, knowingly putting something in your body that is designed to kill you is another. Let's come up with another method, eh?

tresrottn

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2010
Bothell, WA
Darth,

I will point out, you are into the phase of quit that your body begins to detox all that krap and chemicals big tobacco has been stuffing into your body without your permission for all those years. I went through the same exact thing, and as it turns out, almost a year later, I am continuing to detox and getting more junk and gunk out of my lungs now that the cillia have regrown, and are working. I am a mucus filled hot mess right now! LOL

Detox is a NASTY thing to go through. You feel a million times worse than you ever have while your body begins the fight to rid itself of all that evil mess. It goes into overdrive and will exhaust itself while it does it. I know I felt like a monster truck rolled over me, then backed up and did it again for good measure.

Help your body out. Drink LOTS of fluids. Not cokes and sodas or gatorade, but as pure a water as you can get (I would do crystal lights in water, the ones with antioxidants and vitamins and such) Give it really good foods, green stuffs, and help it out with some beneficial bacterias like in yogurt, or pick up a bottle of PB8 and take that instead. Get rest! relax and let your body work. No marathons, but gentle exercising like walking or yoga or stretching. Try swimming. Do some meditation.

Detox does PASS!!! I felt a million times better than I had in 20 years after that initial 8 weeks, and felt my recovery continue to improve my health and wellbeing as the months rolled along. Stick with it. you can do it. :)

DarthVper

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Fort Meade, MD
I use the Echo which has a filler and bottom loading horizontal atty. The suspected offending juice was Astro Bacco, but this is not certain. The only difference (and I been trying dozens of juices) was this one had far more VG than anything I've done previous. My all day vape is a blend I mix myself from other liquids I've ordered. I am not vaping the cartos dry, although there may be an issue with them not saturating properly -- I have had my share of issues with them burning ever since I started using the echo, but that is not anything new at this point. In fact the past week if anything has been the least problematic of my carto filler burning issues. I have several posts with pictures in the Echo Thread. In fact anything else you need to know I pretty well describe and explain there about my adventures in vaping.

Also it should be noted that I was smoke free for almost 3 years, started smoking black & milds for about 3 weeks, then went to vaping for about 2 months now. I've no desireto go back, for many reasons

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
Looks as though for her it was a reaction to the VG, but also a slight reaction using the atty's, which could have something to do with the nickel in them. I guess that issue is harder to pinpoint. She has not had any reaction with the clearo's, so it is still a bit of a mystery.
Now that was something I thought of while reading this thread (today for the first time). Some months ago I got an e-mail from a girl having similar symptoms. After some days we were convinced that this is a case of nickel allergy. This was confirmed by doctor's tests some days later. Her reactions were very strong. Unfortunately, she had to quit vaping, went back to analogs.

BTW, as far as I know VG labeled as USP (or in Europe PhEur) doesn't contain sulfites. Just glycerine and deionized water (approx 14%).

DarthVper

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Fort Meade, MD
Small update:

I've tried other higher VG mixes, and even 50/50 start to make me ill, although it's better than the 30/70 and higher.

I took that Astro Bacco 24mg 30/70 and mixed 3ml of it with 1ml of vodka (80 proof) and 1ml of 100mg PG. If my figurin' is correct I got 5ml of 34mg at 42% VG. So far, it's treating me much better!

DarthVper

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Fort Meade, MD
Well it was mighty thick to start with. It's about no different than the 100% PG I have, even though it still is technically 42% VG. Were it a lower mg to start with I coulda used more of my PG nicotine and less vodka, but I'm pleased with the results.

Here's how I figured it out, I may be wrong admittedly as I did this late into the night:

the amounts I used are expressed as x, y, and v. my goal was to hit 36mg

x = the PG nic juice at 100mg
y = astro bacco at 24mg
v = vodka

100x + 24y
-------------- = 36(mg)
x + y + v

so 100x + 24y = 36x + 36y + 36v

I only had 3ml of astro bacco, made things simpler by just solving for x and v (where x+v =2 for 5ml total)

100x + 72 = 36x + 108 + 36v

which is 64x = 36 + 36v

so

9 + 9v
---------- = x

roughly x=1 and v=1

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I started vaping about a month ago and am still in the trial & error phase of finding the right juice. I try to stay at 80/20 PG/VG or less due to the thinness, throat hit, and reduced vapor. The mix I use most often is less than 10% VG. I Also try to get stronger flavors and usually hover around the 24mg range.

Three days ago I got another shipment of 20 some odd flavors, and I vaped about 5 different ones throughout the day trying to determine a winner of the bunch. Wednesday night I got a few more liquids, which were mostly VG based, and I was loving the particular flavors I got (especially Astro Bacco). But by the next morning, Thursday, I was not feeling well at all.

I had a sore throat, heavy chest, coughing, extremely runny nose, gassy, weak, and was overly irritable. Pretty much like a really bad cold with some flu thrown in. Every time I vaped (anything) it tasted nasty and often threw me into a coughing fit. The whole day went pretty much miserably.

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling pretty terrible. Could barely force myself up, felt unrested, frustrated, ill. Blowing my nose now produced not only yellow-green and clear phlem-ie stuff but also the tissues were spotted with blood. Headache became prominent.
So I browsed through here searching for answers and still don't have any, but seems to me that I may have a VG allergy, or something in the flavor of the juice I just got was wrecking me up. I decided either way it was the new juice. Not sure if it was the VapeSafe stuff or the load I got a few days prior and maybe took a few days to effect me.

So I've been back to my previous vaping regular since last night and so far there's been slight improvement, but I'm still in a bad way. I figure it'll take a few days to get over this 'sickness'.
Thoughts?

Darth, yellow and/or green mucus typically means that you've developed an infection of some sort, either viral or bacterial. For me personally it always heralded a nice case of sinusitis/bronchitis. :p

Btw, I used to live on the other side of the tunnel from you in Hampton. I do miss the area, but not the traffic. :)

Edit: my apologies, ECF was being goofy and I missed a page of the conversation. Hope you get the whole thing figured out.

Last edited:

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Hi....I haven't been around in ages because I went back to smoking cigarettes while I tried to sort out what was going on with me and vaping and I felt completely out of the loop as far as vaping goes.
I wish I hadn't gone back to the cigarettes because it's been a MUCH tougher challenge getting off them this time.
I AM happy to say though that vaping seems to be going ok with me now that I have switched to 100% PG. I feel SO much better with it.
Vaping VG, along with the face flushing and rash also caused WAY more dehydration for some reason and affected my stomach also.
Someone mentioned this.... "Since the glycerin is vegetable based (though mostly water), and breaks down into a simple sugar like wines, yes, I think it makes sense to see it containing sulfites."
While I'm not sure of whether or not there definitely ARE sulphites in VG or what exactly in it I was being affected by I do know this.
I have had issues with very high triglycerides in the past and it seems that after vaping with VG my triglycerides are once again very high. (Quite disappointing to me because I worked SO hard to get them down as they were at a level that was looking like I might need medication - some familial thing apparently.)
My doctor actually mentioned something to me about VG converting into sugar so that was interesting to me and again seeing someone here mention the same thing.
So it's something for people to keep in mind particularly if you are prone to triglyceride problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread