Alternative Uses of Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

TezJaguar

Oct 22, 2011
USA
One of the things most people forget about tobacco is that it is originally a plant and not inherently bad in any way. It is our responsibility for its misuse. Most of the harm actually comes from combustion products and from nitrosamines (virtually nonexistent in the green leaves) when it is fermented , and no one ever said that we had to smoke it or ferment it! It can also become contaminated from additives, pesticides, and fertilizers that do not wash off since tobacco is sticky. What other chemicals are there in OUR fertilizers and pesticides that get into the soil, and thus into the foods we eat? Being aware of these things should make us want to change how WE grow and use it. And I feel that it could be very beneficial if only people could work towards using it in better ways. It seems that the alkaloids of the plant have potential for medical use ( antipsychotic drugs, for neurogenerative diseases, wound healing *only if not used regularly*, anti-inflammatory, neuroprotection, etc.), and there is some evidence showing that nicotine is not much worse than caffeine in terms of effects on the heart *cardiovascular disease shows conflicting results*. And that nicotine could be used in nootropics, mind enhancing drugs. But that is not all.

Some researchers at ULM have found another potential positive use and it is a very ironic one. Take a look: ULM professors see anticancer potential in the most unlikely sources ? tobacco leaves

If you would like to check out some further reading I suggest searching pubmed. There's a scant few published articles out there. I know the mainstream media will never cover this. Don't be afraid to spread the word. tobacco doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread