Alternatives to Halo Menthols?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
Vermillion River E juice's Minnesota Menthol.

It's (with the exception of the recipe below) the best in the charted universe.

But the best?

My Menthadilla Whip:

View attachment 264989

It's formulated purposely so that (if you use VG as a carrier base) no PG is required to be added to the recipe. DIY is a lot easier than it seems at first. And cheeeeeeeeeeeeeap :D

I am primarily a menthol liking person. And this is the best, not bragging just saying. I have sample dozens of menthols and the only thing even slightly near as good as my MenthadillaWhip is Vermillion River E juice's Minnesota Menthol.

DIY intrigues me a bit, but I don't feel comfortable with it. One of these days when I've got a comfortable work area that the kids can't disturb. You can tell a 3 year old to stay out as much as you want...

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
DIY intrigues me a bit, but I don't feel comfortable with it. One of these days when I've got a comfortable work area that the kids can't disturb. You can tell a 3 year old to stay out as much as you want...

Understandable.

But, good gawd, I just whipped up almost 50ml of the stuff and I am still awestruck with how yummy it is. After a dozen or so times of trying to perfect an all day vape in menthol that's just perfect, I finally nailed it.

Took me less than an hour and cost about four bucks. That's for 50ml.

So that's .08 cents per milliliter.

But the next best thing is Minnesota Menthol from Vermillion. I am almost positive you will dig it :vapor:

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I'm going to try a few different Mr E Liquid and Goodejuice flavors. I'll try others as well, but I'll start with those.

HHV keeps my interest with their add menthol option. Has anyone tried a regular flavor and added menthol? Anyone tried the heavy menthol option?

I have at Mr E but not HHV. If you like menthol without mint in it, all the juices you add his menthol to are good. I mean to say... if he offers an "add menthol" that's a juice he thinks works with menthol. If he doesn't offer the juice with menthol then I would be leery. He's an expert mixer. I think I posted earlier on this thread but am too lazy to look right now. If so, I'm repeating. I add his menthol to other vendor's juices as I don't trust any other menthol having gotten so many that contain mint which I really, really, dislike. Mint vapes remind me of downing pepto bismal and gag me. I don't know why vendors put it in menthol juice or, at the very least, why they don't rename the juice its in to something indicating mint flavor.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I have at Mr E but not HHV. If you like menthol without mint in it, all the juices you add his menthol to are good. I mean to say... if he offers an "add menthol" that's a juice he thinks works with menthol. If he doesn't offer the juice with menthol then I would be leery. He's an expert mixer. I think I posted earlier on this thread but am too lazy to look right now. If so, I'm repeating. I add his menthol to other vendor's juices as I don't trust any other menthol having gotten so many that contain mint which I really, really, dislike. Mint vapes remind me of downing pepto bismal and gag me. I don't know why vendors put it in menthol juice or, at the very least, why they don't rename the juice its in to something indicating mint flavor.

Which menthol do you add to other juices, the plain menthol?

Gonna order the plain menthol and a few "Ice" flavors.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
Just put in an order for some small bottles from Mr E Liquid...

Mr E's Menthol
Menilla Joe
Bubble Ice
Cherry Ice
Raspberry Ice
Grey Matter

I really hope this stuff is good. I hate getting juice that I don't like. When that happens I try doctoring it up with other stuff, get even more ......, then dump it down the drain in a fit of rage.

I'm pretty optomistic about this stuff though.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
They all came in the mail yesterday. It came with an unexpected small free sample of Psycho Citrus. It's not something I would have ordered, but it smells pretty good so I'll give it a try.

I filled a mini Protank with Cherry Ice. Smells like a red freeze pop, but it tastes like kind of like cherry robitussin or a cherry Hall's. Maybe a little of both. I ordered it (and the rest of the ice flavors) in regular menthol strength. I taste about 50/50 menthol to cherry or maybe a bit more menthol than cherry, which is a good thing. Sometimes I think I'd prefer more menthol, but not too much more.

I taste zero mint, which is a great thing. I'd like a bit more throat hit, but it's not a deal breaker; the menthol is smooth. I'm vaping 24 mg nicotine.

I'm not sure this will be my all day vape, but I'm happy with it nonetheless. I see some great potential for the rest of the juices. I think raspberry ice may be more of what I'm after. Or maybe Menilla Joe. Or maybe bubble ice. Or maybe...

Gonna finish it off and load up the next flavor. Not sure which one it'll be; it'll be a game-time decision.

PS - People have a hard time describing what Grey Matter tastes like. Haven't tasted it yet, but it smells like graham crackers and some other stuff. Should be interesting.

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
My favs that I can vape all day (picky vapor/especially w/menthol) are bubble ice, raspberry ice, melon ice, straight menthol.. and really for some reason really love the cola ice lol. Its like a coca cola.......stopped drinking that a while back but this taste is good! Oh and if there are any that you are like so so, let them steep :) the menthol comes out a lot more. :)

Tracey

MAIN THING IS NO MINT TASTE LOL Sorry :toast:

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I'm vaping on Mr E's Menthol as I type this. I didn't like the first drag or two, as it seemed exactly like Halo's Sub Zero. Sub Zero has zero flavor to me - it's like a plain Hall's menthol cough drop. After a few drags, I started to pick up a very slight touch of sweetness and flavor. Half way through my first tank of it, this is a damn good menthol; clean, not overwhelming, and a great throat hit while being smooth. Not as smooth as Cherry Ice for some reason, but definitely smooth enough.

This one will be my main vape unless one of the others replaces it. I might add some to Cherry Ice to tone down the cherry, but that'll be fine tuning the Cherry Ice as it's got a good ratio of cherry and menthol.

Next flavor will also be a game-time decision. Quite possibly Grey Matter.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
Putting the menthol in my Protank II made a great juice even better. My sample size bottle went way too fast. Gotta order more.

Currently vaping Menilla Joe. Excellent juice IMO. Needs more menthol, but the ratio is very good for when I want a warmer and more flavorful vape. It's more like vanilla ice cream that say vanilla bean. It's very smooth and warm tasting. Won't be my all day vape, but it'll most likely be an everyday vape for me. I'd add more menthol to it, but I think I'll ruin it. I think it'll take a lot of trial and error. Maybe one of these days when I'm bored.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
I really, really, really, really dislike mint vapes. I hunted for a menthol with none in it.

I always read these menthol threads with interest. I don't like any menthol in my mint flavors. The latest was a Hangsen (I think) flavor called 'Strong Mint'. 100% menthol. Fortunately I know a menthol fan, and he says it's a great menthol flavor.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
Thanks for all the updates. Keep 'em coming for all the rest of us menthol fans :)

And here I was thinking I was talking to myself. No problem at all.

The straight menthol is a very cold tasting vape; kind of like a strong spearmint gum, but it doesn't have any spearmint flavor to it. It also has that effect where if you drink water right after vaping it, the water seems so much colder. Cherry Ice has that effect, but to a lesser extent.

By contrast, Menilla Joe is very warm tasting. There's more vanilla than menthol (I'm vaping at full menthol too), but I'm ok with it.

All three juices have been very clean tasting and top notch in quality. Halo gets a ton of compliments for its quality in this regard (even by people who don't like their flavors); all of Mr. E's stuff has been Halo's equal thus far.

My only criticism is that I can't stand their 7 ml (I think) bottles. Way too hard to get juice out of them; I've been taking the dripper top off them and pouring into my tanks. If the bigger bottles are similar, I'll empty them into DIY bottles. That's a very minor criticism IMO.

I've got Bubble Ice, Raspberry Ice and Grey Matter (non-menthol) left. Any requests as to which one I try next?

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida

I felt the same way.i have a two year old two teens and a deployed hubby,
I decided to buy everything and threw it in a tool box. Once i decided to start mixing i was surprised what i got done in 15 mins

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
I'm vaping on Mr E's Menthol as I type this. I didn't like the first drag or two, as it seemed exactly like Halo's Sub Zero. Sub Zero has zero flavor to me - it's like a plain Hall's menthol cough drop. After a few drags, I started to pick up a very slight touch of sweetness and flavor. Half way through my first tank of it, this is a damn good menthol; clean, not overwhelming, and a great throat hit while being smooth. Not as smooth as Cherry Ice for some reason, but definitely smooth enough.

This one will be my main vape unless one of the others replaces it. I might add some to Cherry Ice to tone down the cherry, but that'll be fine tuning the Cherry Ice as it's got a good ratio of cherry and menthol.

Next flavor will also be a game-time decision. Quite possibly Grey Matter.

Ok think Im ready to take a chance again with the menthol
going to order the jade and watermelon menthol as well as ry4 menthol

and of coarse have to try the gray mater no menthol

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Anyone looking for a good watermelon menthol, try this one. It is very strong on both flavors, neither overpowers the other. Very strong overall too, my friend coughed like crazy when she tried it, but I love it:

Oops - something is wrong with their website right now, so I can't link to it, but the vendor is Moon Mountain Vapors and the e-liquid name is Vapor Trail

I would say, too, that the watermelon is sweet like a jolly rancher rather than a natural light watermelon.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
So here's a few updates...

Bubble Ice - Not my thing. It's good, but it's just not for me. Kind of like a Double Bubble or Bazooka Joe with a good bit of menthol and cooling. Seemed like a good combo on paper to me, and I'm sure a lot of people will dig it. It for some reason seemed a bit harsher than the rest.

Raspberry Ice - An excellent mix of menthol and raspberry. This is the ratio I was hoping for in all the juices - menthol on the draw, and a touch of raspberry on the exhale. The raspberry flavor reminds me Stoli Raspberry.

Grey Matter - A different animal. A lot of people don't know how to describe it for some reason. It's got several different flavors, and they show up at different times. I predominantly get a graham cracker taste, sometimes toasted/almost burnt graham cracker. It's got some marshmallow-ish flavor too. Then I randomly get a plumb/grape flavor. It's not the heaviest or strongest flavoring overall, but I don't find it light in flavor. There's an add menthol option, but I'm not sure menthol would be good in it. I'll save a tank full and add a few drops, but I just don't see it being a good mix.

Grey Matter is growing on me, but I'm not sure if I'll miss it too much when it's gone. Only time will tell.

I ordered 120 ml of Mr. E's Menthol. It's the perfect all day vape for me. I'll most likely order 30 ml of Menilla Joe change things up with. The other stuff is very good, but I don't think it has the staying power to justify 30 ml of it.

Everyone's tastes are different, so as always, buy a sample sized bottle first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread