Aluminum threads? Are they that much of a nightmare? Your thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Dixie County, Florida
I'm about to grab a sentinel m16 clone from FT. The $11 one has aluminum threads. I keep hearing horror stories! Im going to use a vivi which I do dry burn about every 2 weeks(waiting on new heads). People keep saying there threads strip after switching tanks. Anyone else have a positive exp and might want to change my mind about ordering. I'm dying to get a mech but I don't want to shell out money for a Ferrari type mod!

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I'm about to grab a sentinel m16 clone from FT. The $11 one has aluminum threads. I keep hearing horror stories! Im going to use a vivi which I do dry burn about every 2 weeks(waiting on new heads). People keep saying there threads strip after switching tanks. Anyone else have a positive exp and might want to change my mind about ordering. I'm dying to get a mech but I don't want to shell out money for a Ferrari type mod!
Aluminum is really too soft a metal to be using for something that is going to get repeated use as frequently as threads on a PV.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
I've heard that as well but seems to depend a lot. I have a SID that has an aluminum body and the threads are durable and smooth. Could be that the threads are stainless steel though, not actually sure. It definitely has an aluminum body though.

You can find some *sweet* deals on all sorts of stuff, including a ton of mechs at gotsmok. Not all of them are fasttech but if you don't mind ordering there your options just skyrocketed.

Chablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Dixie County, Florida
Aluminum is really too soft a metal to be using for something that is going to get repeated use as frequently as threads on a PV.

Ok. Now should I grab it as something to get used to a mech? I'm using ego's and they just aren't my preference. I'm at that point where it's I know what I want but I just don't want to be the guy who throws cash around and not care. $11 doesn't seem too bad for something I'll get a month use out of.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Look at reviews - as many as you can - from people who have used whatever PV you're interested in before buying. Also, look at he APV forum and see which devices seem to be creating the most issues for their users and avoid those.

Some items will definitely be better built than others, perhaps even if they DO use aluminum threading. I don't know from firsthand experience as my higher end stuff has steel threading.

Really, the more complaints about an item, the more you'll know which to avoid. If there are very few about that item, then it's a good bet unless no one owns one....LOL

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
510 to eGo Adapter Convertor for E-Cigarette
For $1.30 you can save on the wear and tear on your ecig. I tighten that in with some pliers (not too tight...just tight enough that I can't accidentally unscrew by hand.) It adds maybe a half an inch to e-cig...should fit any 510 mod.

At that point all your wear and tear on the threads is to your tanks and that adapter. If it ever goes bad you can replace it or just take it off and take your chances. I use that on my vamo v3 as I heard they have threading issues but I think they improved material since v1 and v2.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I would not buy a PV that had aluminum 510 connection threads. Even if you're careful assembling it, bangs and drops are going to ruin that in time. As for the body threads, if you're careful assembling them I wouldn't worry about it.

Between brass and aluminum, brass has an edge, but not much if it's soft brass. In a cheap mod, it might well be soft.

SS is the way to go for durability if at all possible :thumb:

DanG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
NWI Cedar Tuckey (Lake)
It depends on the type of aluminum, there are some types the 2000 and 7000 series alloys that can be as hard as steel. I can say without even seeing it that those are not what are in any Chinese mod. The threads will go bad in any of those in time. If you avoid bumping, dropping, or looking at it funny it would increase the life. Aluminum does not like being rubbed, especially the cheap stuff. You might get a little more life by adding some Noalox, it could help.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
It depends on the type of aluminum, there are some types the 2000 and 7000 series alloys that can be as hard as steel. I can say without even seeing it that those are not what are in any Chinese mod. The threads will go bad in any of those in time. If you avoid bumping, dropping, or looking at it funny it would increase the life. Aluminum does not like being rubbed, especially the cheap stuff. You might get a little more life by adding some Noalox, it could help.

LOL @ "looking at it funny"

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
If these threads are on a 510 connection dont use the aluminum , the 510 thread is a M7x.5mm thread it is really fine and will strip
If you are talking about the battery cap threads alwasy try to have dis-similar metals , the same metal type will tend to GALL or eat itself , brass on aluminum is good. Stainless steel is less likely to gall ( because of hardness) but can also.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Aluminum is a poor choice for durability. Brass is better but also a fairly soft metal. The most durable choice is stainless steel.

The best approach to durability on a 510/eGo connector I've seen is on the Sigelei Zmax. Here, both 510 and eGo threads are machined from one piece of stainless steel. The removable SS top cap has been taken off for this photo.

494.jpg

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
I had a Private V2 aluminum for a few months, then gave it to a friend who has been using it a few months. You can tell the threads aren't as tight as they were when new, but its still fine. I even dropped it a few times. Im used to working with aluminum threaded items, aluminum is softer, so you don't screw things in tight, its that simple. If you don't wrench on the 510 connection you wont strip it.

Idc about all the haters, I love aluminum! Awesome conductivity, super lightweight, and obv super cheap. Ok I love my k100 more now but whatever, if you can the k100 is awesome, and definitely wont be easy to strip the threads on. Its barely heavier than the aluminum V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread