Aluminum threads? Are they that much of a nightmare? Your thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
If these threads are on a 510 connection dont use the aluminum , the 510 thread is a M7x.5mm thread it is really fine and will strip
If you are talking about the battery cap threads alwasy try to have dis-similar metals , the same metal type will tend to GALL or eat itself , brass on aluminum is good. Stainless steel is less likely to gall ( because of hardness) but can also.

Smallest M7 time-sert pitch seems to be 1.0, M6 seems to be the largest 0.5 pitch, a shame as time-serting is pretty effortless and would rather have a permanent repair than have to buy caps every other atty change :( I recently helicoiled one of my Vespa's spark plug holes in its alloy head, simply had to ream it out one size out, got the tool, locked it on, wound it in, snipped the tail off and finished it with a touch of a dremil grinder and super solid thread able to take the high pressure of a hot revvy 2 stroke :D

I'm certainly not the first in here to have this idea lol strange how search didn't return any results when I looked but google found me loads from this forum

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
Stay away from aluminum!!! The threading on the 510 connector just doesn't stand up for more than a week or two at best. At least that's the case for me swapping out tanks once or twice a day.

Agree there, lucky it was a cheapo $15 mod than something more expensive.

Now what is interesting is the Hammer atty connector plate almost, almost is just right, the thread is difference, apparently a Sigelei mod top cap is the right thread so now wondering what else might fit, AIOS or Chi adapter maybe? Vapor break do them for a song and likely to last a tad longer lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread