Am i addicted to vaping, or vaping as a hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dank_Ebola

May 21, 2017
Hi everyone, so my lame as$ is living with my parents for the summer between semesters and mom found out today that i vape.... of course she wants me to stop because of the many unknown side effects, but its my choice and will continue to do so if i please. But, she couldnt have said it less than a million times that "youre addicted to it. I can tell by your excuses". Well, i use 0mg, use it maybe every one or two days, and sure as hell dont feel addicted. So my question is, am i addicted to vaping or vaping as a hobby?(which raises another quaestion, is it a hobby or a habit?). Personally i love building and wicking my rda's and trying new flavors and When someone finds a new thing they like to do they pour their heart and money into it and really enjoy it. I just cant tell if its an addiction like she says, or if im addicted to the thought of it being hobby. I feel like i could drop it at anytime if i needed to, but i choose not to because i enjoy it.

Thoughts?

Reactions: DaveP

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
You may want to bring her attention to some of the studies coming out of the U.K. regarding the relative safety of vaping, at least compared to smoking (it doesn't sound like you are/were a smoker though?). I know for me vaping moved beyond just a tool to quit smoking to a fun and enjoyable hobby. I am absolutely addicted to it, the habit and the nicotine and the hobby, but I'm ok with that.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
In a classic sense, no, vaping is not addictive. Assuming you're an adult, you're entitled to your own choices. How to deal with it with your family is something you need to figure out as relationships in families can be complex.

That said, vaping is way safer than smoking. Occasional, or even more frequent vaping as a hobby should present very low risk. However, no one can tell you vaping is risk free. Any time you inhale something other than clean air (yeah, I know, good luck finding that) into your lungs there is always an unknown risk you assume you would otherwise not experience.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi everyone, so my lame as$ is living with my parents for the summer between semesters and mom found out today that i vape.... of course she wants me to stop because of the many unknown side effects, but its my choice and will continue to do so if i please. But, she couldnt have said it less than a million times that "youre addicted to it. I can tell by your excuses". Well, i use 0mg, use it maybe every one or two days, and sure as hell dont feel addicted. So my question is, am i addicted to vaping or vaping as a hobby?(which raises another quaestion, is it a hobby or a habit?). Personally i love building and wicking my rda's and trying new flavors and When someone finds a new thing they like to do they pour their heart and money into it and really enjoy it. I just cant tell if its an addiction like she says, or if im addicted to the thought of it being hobby. I feel like i could drop it at anytime if i needed to, but i choose not to because i enjoy it.

Thoughts?
Well, since you are not using nic, there is nothing chemical in ejuice that can be addicting. However, the act of vaping, the hand to mouth behavior definitely is. This is one aspect of the overall 'smoking addiction' that most of us were enslaved to.

Best thing you do is educate yourself and your mom on the scientific studies that have been published as RainSong suggested. To date, I don't believe anyone has pointed to vaping as a cause for any type of illness. Those of us who 'smoked cigarettes' all have experienced much improved health and energy and feel we have been given our lives back.

All of the media attention to vilify vaping is due to either lack of education or the unwillingness to find out what its really all about. They hear the buzzword nicotine and they all dismiss it as the same as smoking. And the lack of revenue the feds and big tobacco and the states are no longer receiving as more and more smokers make the switch.

You mom should at least be glad you are not using nicotine and not smoking the stinkie cigarettes. You could have done much worse than picking ecigs.

:)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Thoughts?
The word addiction can be misused to win an argument orbe controling. A habit is not an addiction until it's causing harm and you do it anyway. So far the harm it's doing is upsetting your mom.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
My personal opinion: if your wondering if your addicted to vaping and the hobby of vaping, that you aren't truly addicted. As I'm totally addicted to both and know it!
If you don't feel like you constantly have to vape in order to be satisfied then there's a good chance you could just stop. Good luck![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    You're not putting any chemicals with a known addictive or pleasurable effect; there can be some random effect from what you are consuming but primarily temporary oxygen deprivation. If you have ever consumed nicotine there can still be some mental association between vaping without it and with it, so it is complicated. It can also be tasty and a pleasing sensation that one really likes and therefore would strongly prefer to not stop, but will not feel a physical discomfort if they do.

Researchers cite chemical changes in the brain as evidence video games are addicting. Yet, games don't become boring because they fail to produce that chemical effect, they stop producing chemicals when they become boring. One might continue to play it anyway, or be more strongly driven to find a new game because the intensity of the stimulation, but this is still clearly a whole different category than a "drug".

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    I'm curious about people's addictions and why they think they are addicted. I chain vape around 6mg constantly because I want to. When I need to be away from it for an extended period, as I was recently for a week on business travel, I miss the action of vaping and the flavor but I don't miss the nicotine. I don't go through withdrawal the way I would when I smoked. Remember when you couldn't smoke and you needed a smoke? First you got antsy. Then it progressed and you thought you had actual bugs crawling on you and you wanted to rip your skin off. Then you moved on to murderous thoughts, mostly wanting to kill the people preventing you from smoking at that moment but then you realized you'd have a hard time getting cigarettes in prison and the thoughts of earning them behind bars wouldn't be worth it no matter the current torture so you didn't actually kill anyone. That's addiction. I miss vaping when I can't the same way I miss not being able to go for a scooter ride or not being able to have dinner at a favorite restaurant. I miss it passingly but it's not an addiction. So are you addicted or do you just like it?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    rps20170522_124000.jpg

I can quit whenever I want. Leave me alone!

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2015
    On the River, GA

Thoughts?
    Maybe she just wanted your mod, so she could blow clouds too, bro ;)

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    You could point out that in the grand scheme of things here on planet earth, there are a great number of things you could be addicted to. Vaping is light weight compared to the vast majority of addictions.

For the record I do not qualify vaping as addictive. Its basic use is to cease a qualified addiction. Truth is its about as addictive as chewing gum, which a lot of people like to do.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    It's not so much an addiction than a habit.

Many are lessening their vaping by getting those spinner fidgets. At some point it's a mix between enjoying the throat hit, to do it instead of chewing gum or candy and having something to fiddle with.

This is a case and point with cigarette smoking, that some people have an oral fixation and fiddling habit that is nothing more than a reflex, to the point of having a touch of being ADHD, and if not a cigarette, it would be chewing on hair, pencils, etc.

About the fear about "it might be bad", read my blog, I have a few entries about that stuff.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Well I've just put my Alien 220 down . It is 2.35 pm BST the 23rd May 2017 . Lets see how long I can hold out . Anybody else want to try.

I only vape because I enjoy it as a de-stresser, as I enjoy the warmth. But I can easily put it down anytime for any length of time and not worry about it.

Then again, I've never had a cigarette addiction as I've stated in prior threads, that I could easily puff a few now and then for the heck of it, or a full pack, and never care to have another, would do it to aggravate my wife to help motivate her to quit, (at one point, I puffed away more than her for about 3 months to prove it to her, finished the "last one" and didn't even blink about it).

Everything about vaping that I do, I do it for my wife and daughter that are hooked on smoking (but that vaping got them off of the cancer sticks) and because I believe in it. I saw what smoking did to my father and other people and would want nothing better than prevent that for anyone.

So I guess I'm not a good "judge" about addiction to vaping, as neither cigarettes ever had a hold on me, and neither does vaping, I just have turned it into a serious hobby to help others.

Reactions: RainSong

pfaber11

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 16, 2009
    england
    That's great you can do that I was hopelessly addicted to cigarettes for over 30 years and vaping did it for me . well it's been 30 minutes so far and all is good . I'm guessing I should start feeling it after a couple of hours .We shall see. Been vaping and off the butts for over five years so this should be interesting . Wish me luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread